Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If anyone thinks with how unfathomably large the universe is that there is no other life is fooling themselves or they are deeply religious lol.
    The universe is finite. That means you can't presume that anything, no matter how unlikely, will happen multiple times. The emergence of intelligent life may be so rare that this universe is the one in a googolplex of alternate universes where it even happened once.

Your position is, fundamentally, a form of survivorship bias; it happened to you, so it must not be that rare.

To put it another way; you speak to how "unfathomably large" the universe is, but not how "unfathomably rare" the emergence of life is.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The universe is finite. That means you can't presume that anything, no matter how unlikely, will happen multiple times. The emergence of intelligent life may be so rare that this universe is the one in a googolplex of alternate universes where it even happened once.

Your position is, fundamentally, a form of survivorship bias; it happened to you, so it must not be that rare.
    To each there own I guess but UFO's of no known origin have been confirmed with video evidence from multiple governments now so it is leaning more to me being right than it is to me being wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    If anyone thinks with how unfathomably large the universe is that there is no other life is fooling themselves or they are deeply religious lol.
    I do agree there is probably other life in the universe. However, given how unfathomably large the universe is, there is no particular reason to believe that life is anywhere particularly near us. Life might arise on average once per planet, once per 10,000 medium sized stars, once per galaxy or once per 100,000,000 galaxies. The forms of possible life might just be similar to our own type, and only develop around wet, warm, oxygen rich planets, or there might be an unimaginable variety of different fundamental types of life that live inside stars, in the void between galaxies, in the cores of planets, or anything else.

It all runs into the same fundamental problem as Endus and I have been explaining, the fact that something is possible is not evidence for its existence. In the absence of any evidence for any particular theory, the only logical solution is to keep an open mind and keep looking for evidence. Absolutely none of the "Evidence" for extra-terrestial life is anything more then speculation, no matter how many numbers you throw at it.

Endus isn't saying their isn't alien life, and neither is any reasonable person. What we are saying is that alien life is completely unknown. We are also saying that frequent visitation that extra-terrestrial life is very unlikely. Not impossible, just unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

To each there own I guess but UFO's of no known origin have been confirmed with video evidence from multiple governments now so it is leaning more to me being right than it is to me being wrong.
    Confirming something of no known origin is confirming nothing. That isn't how the word "Confirm" works. It I take a picture of something and I don't know what it is, then I haven't confirmed what it is. That is just inherent in the basic property of not identifying something.

It is reasonable to say that a certain video or picture depicts something. It is reasonable to assign certain observable properties to it. It is not reasonable to assign an outlandish origin to it.

It is more reasonable to assume that UFOs are design, built, and piloted by Beluga whales then by aliens, because Beluga Whales are 1) Known to exist, 2) Known to be intelligent, and 3) Known to be present on the same planet as the observed object. None of those statements are true of extra-terrestrial life. That doesn't mean it would be rational to assume they are piloted by Belugas, but it is a more rational hypothesis then aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I do agree there is probably other life in the universe. However, given how unfathomably large the universe is, there is no particular reason to believe that life is anywhere particularly near us. Life might arise on average once per planet, once per 10,000 medium sized stars, once per galaxy or once per 100,000,000 galaxies. The forms of possible life might just be similar to our own type, and only develop around wet, warm, oxygen rich planets, or there might be an unimaginable variety of different fundamental types of life that live inside stars, in the void between galaxies, in the cores of planets, or anything else.

It all runs into the same fundamental problem as Endus and I have been explaining, the fact that something is possible is not evidence for its existence. In the absence of any evidence for any particular theory, the only logical solution is to keep an open mind and keep looking for evidence. Absolutely none of the "Evidence" for extra-terrestial life is anything more then speculation, no matter how many numbers you throw at it.

Endus isn't saying their isn't alien life, and neither is any reasonable person. What we are saying is that alien life is completely unknown. We are also saying that frequent visitation that extra-terrestrial life is very unlikely. Not impossible, just unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

Confirming something of no known origin is confirming nothing. That isn't how the word "Confirm" works. It I take a picture of something and I don't know what it is, then I haven't confirmed what it is. That is just inherent in the basic property of not identifying something.

It is reasonable to say that a certain video or picture depicts something. It is reasonable to assign certain observable properties to it. It is not reasonable to assign an outlandish origin to it.

It is more reasonable to assume that UFOs are design, built, and piloted by Beluga whales then by aliens, because Beluga Whales are 1) Known to exist, 2) Known to be intelligent, and 3) Known to be present on the same planet as the observed object. None of those statements are true of extra-terrestrial life. That doesn't mean it would be rational to assume they are piloted by Belugas, but it is a more rational hypothesis then aliens.
    Oh I get it, but you also have to take into consideration that they could be so advanced that they are coming from the non visible universe, the stuff that is so far away we cannot see it anymore. If they are coming from there and have the tech to travel that kind of distance they have technology to conceal themselves so the evidence we do have would be what they leave for us. We really cannot fathom what that kind of technology would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I get it, but you also have to take into consideration that they could be so advanced that they are coming from the non visible universe, the stuff that is so far away we cannot see it anymore. If they are coming from there and have the tech to travel that kind of distance they have technology to conceal themselves so the evidence we do have would be what they leave for us. We really cannot fathom what that kind of technology would be.
    Well this is exactly my point. They could be coming from the non-visible universe, but there is no evidence they are coming from a non-visible universe. There is also no evidence that there is a "They" in the first place. Since the entire thing is based on 100% speculation in the first place, anything is possible, and any arguments against the theory can be explained by adding more speculation.

For reference of what I am talking about, here is an excerpt from Carl Sagan:

"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin[4]) I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle--but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick."

And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.
    So at what point is the difference between a Incorporeal, ageless, highly advanced, unobservable alien spacecraft and "I don't know" so small as to be meaningless? Nobody is denying that certain UFO sightings are definitely something. My point is that speculation as to what they are is meaningless in light of the current (lack of) evidence. Speculation that they are alien craft is completely unfounded, as there is nothing about these observable, terrestrial, atmospheric phenomena that points to origins of anywhere other then this planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    "We didn't 100% confirm what's shown on this video" does not lead in any rational way to "ALIENS!"

Like the three videos that were recently released to the public by DOD in the US: one of those is "probably a duck or some similar-sized bird" and another is "the camera tracking the object (probably a plane) just stopped tracking it". These things do have explanations, you just can't be arsed to make the effort, because it's easier to fantasize about crazy stuff.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It is literally impossible from the sheer size of the visible universe alone and with the chemical makeup of the majority of that matter we see being the building blocks for life as we personally know it, it is impossible life did not happen elsewhere.

Also people never consider that technology advanced enough to travel to us from great distances would leave no traces other than what they chose to let us keep. Even if one ever crashed here their technology would be advanced enough to retrieve it without us even knowing anyways.
    People keep hearing that technology far enough advanced from ours would essentially seem like magic. I don't think people realize what that means...really.

"We didn't 100% confirm what's shown on this video" does not lead in any rational way to "ALIENS!"

Like the three videos that were recently released to the public by DOD in the US: one of those is "probably a duck or some similar-sized bird" and another is "the camera tracking the object (probably a plane) just stopped tracking it". These things do have explanations, you just can't be arsed to make the effort, because it's easier to fantasize about crazy stuff.
    I have seen the interviews too with some military pilots and many of them from separate decades and military's that have seen similar metallic objects that moved 100's of feet in the blink of an eye. Obviously there is no way for us to confirm anything with 100% certainty at this point because we are still in the stone ages compared to any species advanced enough to visit us.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Even if we found absolutely conclusive evidence of aliens this afternoon I still don't see how that would change anything or shift our worldview. We would simply try to learn from them and advance at a faster rate. If the aliens won't trade or exchange knowledge with us then they'd basically be irrelevant to humanity.
    It would fundementaly Rock the foundation of many faiths that place humanity is the #1 in the eye of God, many faiths that many society's and civilisations have deeply and systemically rooted in there civilisation, the ramifications of alians landing at mecca mid hadji would be unpredictable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have seen the interviews too with some military pilots and many of them from separate decades and military's that have seen similar metallic objects that moved 100's of feet in the blink of an eye. Obviously there is no way for us to confirm anything with 100% certainty at this point because we are still in the stone ages compared to any species advanced enough to visit us.
    Every single one of those accounts has been debunked. Every single one. They literally did not see what they thought they saw. The human mind is very bad at observation, and uses a ton of tricks to get around that, many of which can fool you into seeing things that aren't there (or not seeing things that are).

Sometimes, a weather balloon is just a weather balloon.

Every single one of those accounts has been debunked. Every single one. They literally did not see what they thought they saw. The human mind is very bad at observation, and uses a ton of tricks to get around that, many of which can fool you into seeing things that aren't there (or not seeing things that are).

It is what it is and I agree the human brain is garbage, one of many reasons we would be easily fooled by any advanced species lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is what it is and I agree the human brain is garbage, one of many reasons we would be easily fooled by any advanced species lol.
    Also leprechauns. Which are more believable than aliens.

Also leprechauns. Which are more believable than aliens.
    Well I know a few, but they prefer to be called fae lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It’s gonna to be funny when they do finally announce the existence of aliens. I bet all the non-believers will still say it’s bullshit.
    It'll be the next phase of the big lie.

10+ Year Old Account

So I have two personal stories of exactly that. Both sound like perfect UFO stories until you hear the ending.

1) When I was in the Army, my unit got a brand new model of tank (The M1A2 SEPv2, which is not new now, but it was then). During the fielding process we started noticing very strange things around our new tanks. They were little fuzzy balls of faintly glowing light, and they seemed to follow our tanks around. You could see them through Thermals pretty often, but with the naked eye they were mostly invisible, but you could catch a glimpse of them around dawn and dusk sometimes. They were quite common, but sporadic. Sometimes they appeared, most of the time they didn't. They had some predicable behavior patterns as well, they often matched the speed of the tank and followed along side them or at a particular angle. Sometimes they did that but also bounced up and down erratically. When they made turns, it was often at 90 degrees, and they sometimes shot straight up in the air and disappeared. Then one day they all disappeared, and we never saw them again.

Sounds really spooky, right? Only it wasn't at all. The first batch of tanks had anti-reflective coating on the new commanders sight that wasn't up to spec. The sun would hit the lens and reflect, shining a little thermal hotspot on the ground around the tank. It mirrored the tanks movement when the sight wasn't in use, and of course behaved erratically when you were moving the lens around. If you weren't stabilizing your tanks turret, it would bounce up and down as the tank moved. The Army got the manufacturer to come out and redo the coatings, and the problem went away. It all sounds incredibly cryptic if you don't hear what it was. The other story has a similar ending, but is just something I saw when driving one day. I won't go into it now, but it seriously creeped me out until I figured out what it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why isn't this thread banned under the conspiracy rule here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Why isn't this thread banned under the conspiracy rule here?
    Probably because "Pentagon says something" isn't a conspiracy theory. Granted a lot of the conversation has been about UFOs in general, but considering that a couple rather major political figures have weighed in, and the DoD is at least concerned, I imagine that is weighing into the decisions of the mods. Either way, it might get locked, but it isn't hurting anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    ..they're unknown.
    I think this is the main point of the discussion, i don't think its plausable to rationalise the unknown. An i can give an example.

If you could get into Doc Brown DeLorean and go back to middle ages, and someone saw you with a cell phone playing a movie, you would most likely end in the fire for witchery. I know, its a stupid example, but the point is this, the unknown became truth, and that happened because our knowledge expanded. The same applies to everything, what is not possible today, might be viable as our knowledge expands.

All i know, is that life in other planets could not, and most likely isn't, carbon based, i know that because life forms based in other elements have been found in our planet.

I believe in the existence of extraterrestial life somewhere in the universe, perhaps, in a diferent galaxy, the universe is so vast, that even with a small chance percentage of that happening, it could happen. I don't think there is any around Earth, perhaps not even in our galaxy, other then us. And i really don't believe in intersteller travels, but as i said before, what isn't possible today, might become true in the future.

You should be prepared to accept that earth, cosmically speaking, is a backwater planet that advanced species actively avoid. Sometimes they dump their trash here, other times some degenerate comes and retires here as a self-styled billionaire/mogul/entrepreneur/etc. Rarely do they get involved in earthling politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I just wanted to come back to this and say you were correct. I did some reading on it.
    Thanks, and I also have had to read up on it in the past.