Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    ... I guarantee you there were likely full multi guild efforts worth of people with packmule alts who's sole purpose of existence was to stockpile War Effort materials starting day one.....
    I'm on a medium pop server so this is taking a little longer but a bunch of the larger guilds did precisely this. Hell, there's a discord for it and spreadsheets that track what's needed and how much we've all gathered.

No one sane expected Classic to be precisely like the vanilla experience. That was impossible since we know what is coming and we didn't then. But the game itself is remarkably close to vanilla, given the limitation (1.12 being the game patch, etc). If someone doesn't like classic, great. Don't play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OrcsRLame View Post
    As someone that plays classic and enjoys it a fair bit, I'm actually a bit annoyed at how popular it is. Can't really get much done in the open world because even at 4:00 AM there's a fuckload of people even in the ass end of nowhere.
    Of course Silithus is farmed to hell and back right now. But... seriously? You're complaining that there are people playing a game vs it being dead?

"No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
    Last edited by clevin; 2020-07-30 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Of course Silithus is farmed to hell and back right now.
    I'm not just talking about Silithus. Of course Silithus has a shitload of people. That's to be expected.

But... seriously? You're complaining that there are people playing a game vs it being dead?
    When did I do that? I'm just saying it would be nice if the open world wasn't so overfarmed. Obviously I don't actually want the game to be dead.

Christ what is wrong with people on this forum? It's like you're looking to pick a fight and trying to make me out to be a one dimensional 60 IQ ape instead of interpreting what I said in any way that approaches being reasonable.

When do people realize that people are different. Some people hate classic and some people love classic. The problem with Jay Allen Brack was that he put ALL people into the same category. He was right that SOME people don’t want to play the old game with all the old grinds and bugs, but he was wrong to imply that this applied to ALL people. Some people hate classic. Some people love classic. PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    This is one of the reasons I rolled on Bloodsail Buccaneers. The community is big enough to keep the world feeling alive but I can still find good farming spots even at peak hours. Just last night I put a few hours into farming medium leather and silk bandages on my gnome mage around Southshore without a problem. Got a bunch of medals and if things hold steady I'll be exalted with Darnassus in time to get a nightsaber by 60.
    I rolled on a sweaty high pop pvp server and I kind of regret it. I only stay because I really like my guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    nah, nice reaching though, Stretch armstrong.
    retail wow also saw a activity increase when it incorporated classical systems in nazjatar and mechagon, as we haven't seen anti air mechanics since BC.
    People know what they want, Brack needs to leave the industry.
    Id rather see Ion get the boot before Brack tbh. He took everything good about Legion and shit on it before tossing it out. His vision (BFA) was an abject failure across the board.

It takes less time to make a loaf of bread when you know the ingredients, who woulda thunk it.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcsRLame View Post
    I'm not just talking about Silithus. Of course Silithus has a shitload of people. That's to be expected.
    Well you posted in a thread about the war effort saying the world was crowded. If you didn't mean Silithus, be more precise.

When did I do that? I'm just saying it would be nice if the open world wasn't so overfarmed. Obviously I don't actually want the game to be dead.

Christ what is wrong with people on this forum? It's like you're looking to pick a fight and trying to make me out to be a one dimensional 60 IQ ape instead of interpreting what I said in any way that approaches being reasonable.
    Look, I just had coffee, ok?? Sorry about that, but it is kind of the forum. I see too many people complain that the world is dead, so...

I will say that I was majorly disappointed with how the community has approached Classic WoW. I don't think Brack was right (there are lots of people who still want that classic MMO and the first iteration of WoW was special). But I do think Blizzard was right with most of their changes. That is pretty clear and they should feel pretty vindicated.

Classic is fine, and fun, people make an mmo what it is, and the sheeple who instead of just enjoying it and having fun followed their streamer overlords in elitist minmaxing do it this way or uninstall way of thinking.

I love Classic and Retail both. I think Classic is the better RPG, the reason I play this game.

That said, on Retail I can at least get groups and do dungeons. In 2005-6 I spent about 1/4th the time putting groups together than I do now on a high pop server in Classic because back then people just wanted to play the game and do the quests. I didn't have to sift through messages on which items were on reserve, the channel wasn't full of people advertising carries for 20g a pop, the criteria for DPS was "can the class do damage" and not what spell-cleave they were capable of.

I don't really buy the "we've all done it before" argument... because why play the game now then? When I hop in to replay an RPG or otherwise engrossing experience... I personally don't put it on Easy, skip as much content as possible, turn off the music, ignore the story, etc. just because I saw it already 15 years ago. So I have a completely legitimate question: If you don't care about 90% of the game because you've already done it, you don't want to engage the dungeons or events naturally and just cheese them with min/max spreadsheets, and generally boil down every aspect of the game to a trivial exercise... why play even?

Classic is a pretty easy game. It's obtuse and takes extra time, but it isn't hard by any stretch... so the people that want everything to be insanely optimized to be even easier are just kinda weird to me. For example, a friend of mine and I were having trouble finding a Tank and DPS for SM, so as a Rogue, Lock, and with a Priest we just did the place with 3 of us... and didn't die - We had a blast. Should I expect everyone to want to play that way? Of course not... but the game is so lax that it in no way asks for any of the optimization the tryhard crowd demands. It makes me wonder if when these people boot up a new game do they instantly select Very Easy Mode because it makes you the strongest, most optimized character.

There are so many wonderful aspects of Classic as an RPG game that are gone from Retail... but I honestly have to detach from the social aspect of Classic completely because of how tryhard and unfun the community is. It's weird because I made some of my best online friends that I still play with to this day in WoW in those formative years, and they're pretty much the handful of people I play Classic with exclusively when they're on. I haven't even gotten close to wanting to keep talking to or befriend the randos I find myself with on Classic because it's almost always the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    It takes less time to make a loaf of bread when you know the ingredients, who woulda thunk it.
    fucking this! stfu already, you babies will whine about anything..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    I love Classic and Retail both. I think Classic is the better RPG, the reason I play this game.

That said, on Retail I can at least get groups and do dungeons. In 2005-6 I spent about 1/4th the time putting groups together than I do now on a high pop server in Classic because back then people just wanted to play the game and do the quests. I didn't have to sift through messages on which items were on reserve, the channel wasn't full of people advertising carries for 20g a pop, the criteria for DPS was "can the class do damage" and not what spell-cleave they were capable of.

I don't really buy the "we've all done it before" argument... because why play the game now then? When I hop in to replay an RPG or otherwise engrossing experience... I personally don't put it on Easy, skip as much content as possible, turn off the music, ignore the story, etc. just because I saw it already 15 years ago. So I have a completely legitimate question: If you don't care about 90% of the game because you've already done it, you don't want to engage the dungeons or events naturally and just cheese them with min/max spreadsheets, and generally boil down every aspect of the game to a trivial exercise... why play even?

Classic is a pretty easy game. It's obtuse and takes extra time, but it isn't hard by any stretch... so the people that want everything to be insanely optimized to be even easier are just kinda weird to me. For example, a friend of mine and I were having trouble finding a Tank and DPS for SM, so as a Rogue, Lock, and with a Priest we just did the place with 3 of us... and didn't die - We had a blast. Should I expect everyone to want to play that way? Of course not... but the game is so lax that it in no way asks for any of the optimization the tryhard crowd demands. It makes me wonder if when these people boot up a new game do they instantly select Very Easy Mode because it makes you the strongest, most optimized character.

There are so many wonderful aspects of Classic as an RPG game that are gone from Retail... but I honestly have to detach from the social aspect of Classic completely because of how tryhard and unfun the community is. It's weird because I made some of my best online friends that I still play with to this day in WoW in those formative years, and they're pretty much the handful of people I play Classic with exclusively when they're on. I haven't even gotten close to wanting to keep talking to or befriend the randos I find myself with on Classic because it's almost always the same story.
    You have trouble finding groups bc the servers were locked. there wernt new people, just alts getting boosted.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    https://classic.wowhead.com/news=317...rs-on-sulfuras

Maybe Brack was right all along. I wouldn't be suprised if Blizzard knew all along that this would happen (give or take a few hours/days). It shouldn't be hard to predict that the community would just blast over any kind of unique experience that made classic what it was. Classic wasn't hard, but it was unique. This just looks like people playing the game with "how-to" guide in their hand.
    pretty much any high profile server finished it during the first 20 hours. Nobody cares how long it takes in the first place, because all of the high profile servers were full in stock before launch. Do you care about "who is the fastest donor"?

To complete "Bang a Gong!" you need a second fresh BWL ID anyways with the choosen scepter wielder. So you only have to ensure that the server is ready on next ID resets morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    nah, nice reaching though, Stretch armstrong.
    retail wow also saw a activity increase when it incorporated classical systems in nazjatar and mechagon, as we haven't seen anti air mechanics since BC.
    People know what they want, Brack needs to leave the industry.
    Lol because this is not reaching, not at all. But I don't expect any higher level of mental capacity from a vanilla fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallador View Post
    This^

The amount of hate classic fanbois have for pretty much everyone is also amusing though.
    I like retail and classic. The only thing that gets my panties in a bunch is when people try to say that vanilla was hard or that classic is not a reasonably faithful recreation of vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    fucking this! stfu already, you babies will whine about anything..

- - - Updated - - -

You have trouble finding groups bc the servers were locked. there wernt new people, just alts getting boosted.
    I said I was on High Pop (my main at least), not a locked server... I know that because I've regularly had friends join and were always able to come to where we wanted to play. I have characters on Pagle, Earthfury, Rattlegore, and Azuresong (which is the only one with a "low" pop... which is still more than Vanilla had per server). Furthermore, standard player psychology would dictate that the majority of "new people" would gravitate towards higher pop servers that weren't locked.

It doesn't change the fact that
    a) the communities I've experienced on these servers operate all roughly the same regardless of wildly different population and faction balances
    b) that when I'm playing a max level character the "alts getting boosted" problem would subside and grouping would be good. It isn't.
    c) the core philosophical issues I proposed wouldn't have anything to do with the server's population

It’s the opposite. It actually highlights the community dedication and effort to make this much progress this fast

I know you thought you were being clever here, but you actually proved brack wrong here buT highlighting how much the community did want this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    https://classic.wowhead.com/news=317...rs-on-sulfuras

Maybe Brack was right all along. I wouldn't be suprised if Blizzard knew all along that this would happen (give or take a few hours/days). It shouldn't be hard to predict that the community would just blast over any kind of unique experience that made classic what it was. Classic wasn't hard, but it was unique. This just looks like people playing the game with "how-to" guide in their hand.
    Hahah how does this at all mean that the prophecy was fulfilled? Classic is not losing players. At all. That’s why blizzard has had to lock down half the realms from transfers being made there. Shit some of them you can’t even make a character on still due to them being locked. I literally cancelled my account last week because I got separated from my friends who transferred to Grobbulus when I was on vacation and the day I got back they closed server transfers. This was like three months ago. Blizzard is losing money daily by keeping transfers locked, but too many people are playing on the good servers.

Everyone knew the Aq gate event would be finished instantly. Players have been farming mats for opening it for the last six months. This combined with the fact that a max pop realm of today has literally quadruple the players of a max realm in 2006, and you get this. * I don’t know why you’re wanting to take this time to try to shit on classic, but if you want to you should try to be at least accurate.

*Asterisk for this claim, as people always ask about this number it was confirmed by Mark Kern and John Staats.

98% contribution from just a single guild though, I think you're reaching here.

Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    I said I was on High Pop (my main at least), not a locked server... I know that because I've regularly had friends join and were always able to come to where we wanted to play. I have characters on Pagle, Earthfury, Rattlegore, and Azuresong
    Idk about the other servers, but Im on earthfury and it was locked for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Idk about the other servers, but Im on earthfury and it was locked for months.
    After launch or recently? I did Retail Recruit-a-Friend on 2 brand new accounts of friends where I live at the height of the covid surge and we made Ally PvE on Pagle and Horde PvP on Earthfury - they weren't locked from joining me. Are there exceptions made for recruited accounts to join their recruiter regardless of locks?