Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    It wasn't the police that caught her though.

Says right in the article it was the FBI...
    I thought saying 'leftard' would tip people off that I was being sarcastic but I suppose people think I'm serious. :x
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I thought saying 'leftard' would tip people off that I was being sarcastic but I suppose people think I'm serious. :x
    Considering it's a common line coming from trumpkins, I'm not sure that was the greatest pick as the only cue of the post having been sarcasm.

On topic: I guess pardon is doubly and bigly out of the question, as she's a female democrat. #lockherup finally aplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Russian says it has anti-corruption laws, that must explain how people who disagree with Putin keep accidentally falling on bullets
    Yeah, every bullet fired in Russia is clearly Putin's fault, just like every bullet fired at blacks has US racism at it's source /s

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Prosecute to the full letter of the law.
    I think that when someone in public service commits a crime like this, the punishment should be double the maximum of what a normal civilian can get for doing the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Yeah, every bullet fired in Russia is clearly Putin's fault, just like every bullet fired at blacks has US racism at it's source /s
    Every bullet in Russia is used to brace Putin’s opponents when falling? What?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

She deserves the money.

I mean Trump steals money (whataboutism), so why not her.

Am I doing this right?

Fairly obvious she should be prosecuted and most of all if she somehow can run for a public office I hope people are not ignorant enough to elect her.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    I think that when someone in public service commits a crime like this, the punishment should be double the maximum of what a normal civilian can get for doing the same thing.
    Interesting...make your position a part of the sentencing guidelines. Hmmmm...that deserves some thought.

7+ Year Old Account
    Interesting...make your position a part of the sentencing guidelines. Hmmmm...that deserves some thought.
    Yeah...there are normal sentencing guidelines for just about everything. But when an elected official or someone like a police officer does it, I think the penalty should be doubled. No matter what it's for.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Yeah...there are normal sentencing guidelines for just about everything. But when an elected official or someone like a police officer does it, I think the penalty should be doubled. No matter what it's for.
    I think that would be worth exploring. And there are sentencing guidelines depending on who the victim is...for instance killing a police officer is automatically felony murder, at least in some/most states.

Perhaps not sentencing guidelines, but the crime they are charged with is escalated. Although sentencing guidelines would force people to be accountable, instead of plea-dealing out.

Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Poe's law:

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the views being parodied.

Perhaps not sentencing guidelines, but the crime they are charged with is escalated. Although sentencing guidelines would force people to be accountable, instead of plea-dealing out.
    When sentencing someone who has committed a wrong in public office a Judge will normally take into account the need for general deterrence and the abuse of the public trust, which will, in turn, lead to a higher sentence then if joe public did the same act.

Nothing wrong with formalising that presumption though and removing and barring that person from public office and ensuring politicians can't investigate themselves.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Plea dealing is being held accountable (all too often being held accountable for crimes you are innocent of). It's a guilty plea in exchange for leniency...often in the form of reducing the charge. But you are still being held accountable.

Sentencing guidelines aren't going to have much of a negative impact on plea deals. For example, sentencing guidelines on someone convicted of Murder in the second aren't going to apply anymore if the charge gets reduced to manslaughter.

But no. People shouldn't be given extra punishment than someone else would for committing the same crime. That's part of the problem right now..black men are often given harsher sentences than a white man that commits the same crime.

I'm okay with, as an example, a police officer being charged with more crimes due to the circumstances of the case...like what happened with the officer that killed Rayshard Brooks. But the sentencing for each crime he may be convicted of should fall within the same boundaries as anyone else convicted of those same crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Plea dealing is being held accountable (all too often being held accountable for crimes you are innocent of). It's a guilty plea in exchange for leniency...often in the form of reducing the charge. But you are still being held accountable.

Sentencing guidelines aren't going to have much of a negative impact on plea deals. For example, sentencing guidelines on someone convicted of Murder in the second aren't going to apply anymore if the charge gets reduced to manslaughter.

But no. People shouldn't be given extra punishment than someone else would for committing the same crime. That's part of the problem right now..black men are often given harsher sentences than a white man that commits the same crime.

I'm okay with, as an example, a police officer being charged with more crimes due to the circumstances of the case...like what happened with the officer that killed Rayshard Brooks. But the sentencing for each crime he may be convicted of should fall within the same boundaries as anyone else convicted of those same crimes.
    Nope.

If you hold public office, you are in a position of trust. You should be held to a higher standard. That means harsher penalities for the same offense, because you are comitting your crimes at the expense of every voter you represent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Nope.

If you hold public office, you are in a position of trust. You should be held to a higher standard. That means harsher penalities for the same winning, because you are coming your crimes at the expense of every voter you represent.
    As I said, there are times when extra charges can be applied to that person. If you want to "punish" politicians...get them with those extra offences. But everyone should be treated equal under the law.

As I said, there are times when extra charges can be applied to that person. If you want to "punish" politicians...get them with those extra offences. But everyone should be treated equal under the law.
    One of the defining features of the common law is the ability to tailor a case's outcome to the facts and circumstances of that case. An elected official breaches the public trust when they do a corruption, it's simply an aggravating factor it's not someone being treated differently for the same crime.

That doesn't remove the possibility of additional charges existing at the same time, however.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    One of the defining features of the common law is the ability to tailor a case's outcome to the facts and circumstances of that case. An elected official breaches the public trust when they do a corruption, it's simply an aggravating factor it's not someone being treated differently for the same crime.

That doesn't remove the possibility of additional charges existing at the same time, however.
    People are talking about automatically doubling the sentence if it's a poitician. That's not taking the facts into account...that's treating them differently for the same crime.

People are talking about automatically doubling the sentence if it's a poitician. That's not taking the facts into account...that's treating them differently for the same crime.
    I have zero problems with harsher punishments for elected officials violating the public trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I have zero problems with harsher punishments for elected officials violating the public trust.
    Which can be done by adding additional charges for violating that trust.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    When sentencing someone who has committed a wrong in public office a Judge will normally take into account the need for general deterrence and the abuse of the public trust, which will, in turn, lead to a higher sentence then if joe public did the same act.

Nothing wrong with formalising that presumption though and removing and barring that person from public office and ensuring politicians can't investigate themselves.
    Sentencing guidelines are a mixed bag. However, the goal here would be to keep people from trading political favors to stay out of jail.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure - but it can also be used to get away from a jail sentence. Especially if you're politically connected. But sentencing guidelines wouldn't affect any plea deal, as you pointed out.

And I would disagree.

People charged with our protection and care are held to a higher standard, and if they violate that trust, their punishment should be higher. And we see that in the law already - specific roles who are punished for committing acts, or failing to act, where others doing the same or failing to do the same aren't punished.

Charging them with more crimes is an interesting notion. Might be fun to explore that idea. We might also run into some kind of double jeopardy issues, but that's entirely clear atm.

- - - Updated - - -

But everyone isn't treated equally under the law, in the way that you mean. People are, but those equalities are dependent on the situation - I may not be saying that very clearly.

- - - Updated - - -

Which can be done by adding additional charges for violating that trust.
    How would you structure that?