Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    I've only heard this theory for about a decade now, but if you make the same prediction every single year, eventually you'll (maybe) be right
    Console players would never be able to compete on the same level as pc players due to controll differences, if WoW Console ever happens it'd most likely be played on separate realms.
    Oh boy here we go again. You can play on console with mouse and keyboard and "potential" differences defeated. And then you can play on PC on controller because next release is going to officially support it. And if you really want it, you can play on bongos, bananas, dancing mats, and driving wheels and nobody will ever notice if you can play properly on that "type" of controller.

Check and mate.

trivial content can be done with a controller, everything else not without being a burden to somebody.
    controller support is mainly introduced to help out handicapped people, which is a good thing. But lazy wow andys sitting on their couch
    saying "sorry I need 6 seconds to brez somebody, I play with a controller" is nothing I need in raids, dungeons and/or pvp.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Wow has been on a path to console release for years.

They’ve stripped abilities, dumbed the game down to the point a caveman can succeed in it, and recently added controller support

All roads lead to console
    They are literally re-adding abilities in SL.

I'll be fine with people having the option as long as it's clearly marked that they are using it so I can refuse to take them into a group.

It's simply going to be easier for good players to stand out, so by all means it should be a thing. Whoever wants to use a controller will have what they want and the rest will have an easier time picking players for their instanced activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Oh boy here we go again. You can play on console with mouse and keyboard and "potential" differences defeated. And then you can play on PC on controller because next release is going to officially support it. And if you really want it, you can play on bongos, bananas, dancing mats, and driving wheels and nobody will ever notice if you can play properly on that "type" of controller.

Check and mate.
    Ýeah yeah, I've also heard arguments for clickers being on par with keybinds for over 10 years now, you're not presenting anything new to the table.
    If WoW launched on consoles 98% of the players would be playing on a regular controller, they would NOT-- on average-- be able to compete with pc players. Mouse and keyboard is a huge advantage over a regular controller. If a console player connected a mouse and keyboard they'd essentially be a pc player, but they'd still be a miniscule minority in that community for having that hardware.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2020-07-31 at 06:57 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Outside of mythic raids or high end arenas, do tell where all this challenging content is because we both know it isn’t in WoW
    And that is not a new thing.

The utter stupidity in lifting WoW as dumbed down, only to discount the content meant to be challenging to make one's point is just... Well, that disconnect has been a thing in WoW players for ages.

The fact is that there is more content meant to challenge the player in modern WoW, than at any point before.

There are people playing GW2 and FFXIV using controller as well.

As for Console, I remember idiots being so sure that WoW would be ported to console back in WOTLK... And Cata... And MoP... And WoD... And Legion... Not in BFA THO!.. JK, in BfA too and now in SL, where they are literally bringing abilities back...

OH well, stupidity needs to exist as a contrast to intelligence.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-07-31 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    what's next? demanding everyone having top of the line hardware/internet? i think those people asking for bot companions to do content with awhile ago where onto something.
    This is such a ridiculous straw man argument. WoW wasn't designed with a controller in mind so people using one will definitely not play as well as someone using mouse and keyboard. It's not unreasonable for people to not want to take someone to a raid that is using a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    This is such a ridiculous straw man argument. WoW wasn't designed with a controller in mind so people using one will definitely not play as well as someone using mouse and keyboard. It's not unreasonable for people to not want to take someone to a raid that is using a controller.
    you're pretty much saying that anyone who doesn't use the same stuff as you is inferior because you don't like what they're using.
    i mean with that argument you'd rather have me in your party than someone with a controller. and i'm average at best but hey at least i'm PCMR.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

you're pretty much saying that anyone who doesn't use the same stuff as you is inferior because you don't like what they're using.
    i mean with that argument you'd rather have me in your party than someone with a controller. and i'm average at best but hey at least i'm PCMR.
    I'm saying they're inferior because they're using an inferior peripheral. They can use it all they want. Just like people are allowed to either not take them or kick them out of their group for using that peripheral.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I'm saying they're inferior because they're using an inferior peripheral. They can use it all they want. Just like people are allowed to either not take them or kick them out of their group for using that peripheral.
    yeah and not all mouse and keyboard players are using gaming peripherals either and a big chunk probably haven't figured out keybinds so you're just a prejudiced prick tbh. but if you wan't to make the player pool even smaller then keep on chugging i guess.

yeah and not all mouse and keyboard players are using gaming peripherals either and a big chunk probably haven't figured out keybinds so you're just a prejudiced prick tbh. but if you wan't to make the player pool even smaller then keep on chugging i guess.
    I mean it's the same reason that raider.io exists (I'm not debating whether or not it's good for the game). Generally speaking, someone using a keyboard/mouse is going to be better than someone that clicks or uses a controller. In the same way, if you compare two players and all you have to go off is 2k R.IO vs 1k R.IO and there's nothing else different, who are you going to pick?

A keyboard/mouse has the potential to be vastly more efficient than the alternatives, it doesn't mean the player that key binds is automatically better but there is a stronger chance. It doesn't matter how good a player is with a controller. I don't know if you've had to pug a lot lately, but the vast majority of the community seems to think this way (I.E. following the trend with regards to what's good and taking nothing less), whether we like it or not.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2020-07-31 at 08:05 PM.

I have been using a controller (tried Dualshock 4 and Steam controller, I use whichever is charged usually) since Legion and without the use of any addons. I use Steamlink and run Warcraft through steam and have my controlelr settings configured there.

I DO however use addons for ease of movement and accepting quests / selling stuff fast. I also generally use my mouse / KB for if I am scrolling through achievements or doing stuff on AH or with my inventory etc.

I use 'right click disable' addon as it made camera control with a stick much smoother, and I think its called Leatrix Plus for accepting quests etc.

If I click the right stick (R3) it centers my cursor and interacts with the mouse. I use this to do stuff like mining, accepting quests or interacting with quest objects etc.

I was even able to do the Mage Tower for a lot of my classes with a controller set up, I still have recorded footage of using it for Unholy DK and Enhancement Shaman, but im not going to advertise my own videos here, even though I use youtube more as a diary rather than to entertain viewers. If anyone has any questions fire away sure.
    Last edited by PoyoChan; 2020-07-31 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I mean it's the same reason that raider.io exists (I'm not debating whether or not it's good for the game). Generally speaking, someone using a keyboard/mouse is going to be better than someone that clicks or uses a controller. In the same way, if you compare two players and all you have to go off is 2k R.IO vs 1k R.IO and there's nothing else different, who are you going to pick?

A keyboard/mouse has the potential to be vastly more efficient than the alternatives, it doesn't mean the player that key binds is automatically better but there is a stronger chance. It doesn't matter how good a player is with a controller. I don't know if you've had to pug a lot lately, but the vast majority of the community seems to think this way (I.E. following the trend with regards to what's good and taking nothing less), whether we like it or not.
    e
    yes and i'm not a particular fan of raider.io and stuff like that but it's probably a better way to gauge if your applicant is fit for the job than what peripherals they use.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone can perform optimally, as in parse 80% or higher while doing mechanics, I have no issue what what they use. If they enjoy using a controller and perform to my standards, then they can continue to do what they like. If they're playing like shit and it's due to them using a controller, I'll never raid/pvp/m+ with them. WoW isn't a fun game when you play with mediocre people, it just isn't. There's nothing fun about losing or wasting your time when someone is capable of playing better.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    WoW isn't a fun game when you play with mediocre people, it just isn't.
    I'm only quoting you to point out this statement in general, not to say your opinion as to how you spend your time in team content is wrong.

But the statement itself is very telling about perspectives about WoW that the devs have been openly working on for multiple expansions now. There is an entire intended and supported lane of the game where you never, ever have to form premade groups. Ever. I have been in one remotely non-optional premade group since I returned in WoD (to do siege of boralus to advance the war campaign, within a sense of impatience that wouldn't wait for it to go heroic eventually), and it was honestly a very negative experience. Thankfully, literally nothing else before or since has made me feel like I need a premade group. Indeed, I recently floated the thought experiment of "maybe I should try M+" and was reminded in that conversation that... I've never touched it and it's been in the game for almost 4 years now. And I've been, gamewise, perfectly satisfied as a player of WoW.

My point is... WoW hasn't truly needed us to need each other's acceptance for a long time. We're running straight into an even further doubling down on this ethic with a "one TO five" player Torghast and covenants offering an opportunity to choose for character concept and identity while maintaining all of the old and some new lanes of the game where... we literally have nothing to threaten each other with. An angry guild or raid leader can't keep you out of a raid while LFR exists, and a M+ PUG community with their "specific criteria" from RIO to peripherals to covenants can bicker among themselves in their own little cordoned off bubble of inflated standards until they are blue in the face: We'll all get "good enough" gear, we'll all see the story.

Controller support fits right into this entire ethic: WoW is more "self-owned" than ever, while still maintaining and supporting all of the interdependent lanes of content at the same time. You are all allowed to have your standards, but the more WoW ages, the less you have to threaten broader and broader swathes of the community with. And that's ok.

Controllers in WoW are going to be a thing. Folks don't have to accept them into their premades... but they should accept that it's coming to the game, because it is. "Good enough is good enough" is indeed good enough for most of the game.

I'm not sure how you could tell if someone is using a controller, they don't have a controller icon above their head.

If being able to use a controller gets more people playing, how can that be a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    I'm not sure how you could tell if someone is using a controller, they don't have a controller icon above their head.

If being able to use a controller gets more people playing, how can that be a bad thing?
    Well it's pretty apparent when someone is keyboard turning, so it'd probably be just as clear if they were using a controller I suppose. It's only a bad thing if they start designing the game around its inherent drawbacks; otherwise yeah, who cares?

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, it's beyond childish to get upset over people being able to use controllers in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Ýeah yeah, I've also heard arguments for clickers being on par with keybinds for over 10 years now, you're not presenting anything new to the table.
    If WoW launched on consoles 98% of the players would be playing on a regular controller, they would NOT-- on average-- be able to compete with pc players. Mouse and keyboard is a huge advantage over a regular controller. If a console player connected a mouse and keyboard they'd essentially be a pc player, but they'd still be a miniscule minority in that community for having that hardware.
    Hate to break it to you but vast majority of players can't utilize m&k "potential" fully.
    And good clicker would wipe the floor with most wow players using keybinds.

It's all bout' the real "controller" = person, not the controller itself.

Hell, i would bet a crate of whiskey that good pvp player would wipe the floor with me and you combined against him in solo vs duo match, while he would be playing on dancing mats and bananas.

10+ Year Old Account
    This just makes me want a single player Warcraft game on console even more.

When it comes to WoW though I'd probably still just play with keyboard and mouse. I've been playing that way for about 14 years now there's no way I'm going to make that drastic of a change. I'm way too comfortable with the keybinds I have set up.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe