Thread: Doom Eternal

Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, gonna replay it for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished it a couple days ago on normal. Very satisfying game, even better than Doom 2016 to me.
    Both games turned very tedious towards the end, however. Enemy hordes just kept getting bigger with no new tactics or variation. Not a deal breaker since the last boss was up next right after I felt this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Just finished it a couple days ago on normal. Very satisfying game, even better than Doom 2016 to me.
    Both games turned very tedious towards the end, however. Enemy hordes just kept getting bigger with no new tactics or variation. Not a deal breaker since the last boss was up next right after I felt this way.
    Normal is kinda lukewarm and not the real experience, you should play it on a higher difficulty, now that's fucking exhilarating. Everything is done based on split second decision making, if you forget to burn enemies or chainsaw them, if you stop moving, if you lag behind for any reason, you die in a split second.

I wanna do a full clear on ultra nightmare eventually, but I'm afraid my nerves aren't going to take it.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-07-31 at 01:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Normal is kinda lukewarm and not the real experience, you should play it on a higher difficulty, now that's fucking exhilarating. Everything is done based on split second decision making, if you forget to burn enemies or chainsaw them, if you stop moving, if you lag behind for any reason, you die in a split second.

I wanna do a full clear on ultra nightmare once, but I'm afraid my nerves aren't going to take it.
    I could have considered that for Doom 2016 because I found it to be too easy, but normal Doom Eternal was just right to me. A couple challenge portals gave me a migraine and I had zero extra lives at the end of the game. I did get the Unmaykr though so a lot of those went into the uberportals.

I should also mention that I love hard/extreme difficulties, but shooters are not my strong suit, so I'd say I'm average at them.

I can't imagine what an ultra nightmare run would be like. I'd probably just be super frustrated.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I could have considered that for Doom 2016 because I found it to be too easy, but normal Doom Eternal was just right to me. A couple challenge portals gave me a migraine and I had zero extra lives at the end of the game. I did get the Unmaykr though so a lot of those went into the uberportals.

I should also mention that I love hard/extreme difficulties, but shooters are not my strong suit, so I'd say I'm average at them.

I can't imagine what an ultra nightmare run would be like. I'd probably just be super frustrated.
    I've watched a lot of ultra nightmare and it seems that it's a matter of just managing your cool downs, secondary fire modes and knowing what enemies spawn where, as well as mastering kill order. I need to play again this long weekend, I believe I paused at Urdak. Looks like after August I won't have much time to play with school starting back up.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

I wanna do a full clear on ultra nightmare eventually, but I'm afraid my nerves aren't going to take it.
    I tried UN a few times and always get my ass kicked, I too get stressed and frustrated. Decided to go for an Extra Lives Nightmare run instead for my fourth runthrough (have I mentioned I like this game?), more forgiving but just the right challenge for my skills.

@Rennadrel The chest burster is great, but my favorite kills are on the Marauder (killing him with his own axe, catching his punch then stabbing him), Whiplash (breaking its arm then impaling its head with the bone, so sick) and Arachnotron (flipping the entire thing over is just so goofy and cool, fits Doomguy so well).

As for the DLC, rumor has it the first one's a prequel of sorts. Exactly how is unclear, but I'm not sure how the Makyrs could factor after Eternal itself given how the game ends.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Opening QuakeCon at Home show will be live soon. "There are going to be some juicy announcements for DOOM Eternal and other Bethesda titles"

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Opening QuakeCon at Home show will be live soon. "There are going to be some juicy announcements for DOOM Eternal and other Bethesda titles"
    They are adding H-doom skins?

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like we just got a teaser. I was hoping for something more.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    They are adding H-doom skins?
    Give the people what they crave.

(sexual content warning obviously even if it's one second of the video)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Was hoping for more than a teaser, but more Doom Eternal is more Doom Eternal and there are very few chances I don't buy this anyway so I can wait a bit more.

10+ Year Old Account
    New trailer, game is due 10/20/20

New Demons: Blood Angel and tentatively Spirit/Possesser

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    New trailer, game is due 10/20/20

New Demons: Blood Angel and tentatively Spirit/Possesser

ehhhhhh.

-more swimming
    -environments look samey and not too different than base game
    -only 2 new enemies
    -no new guns
    -big guy repeats the same animations as the icon

looks pretty phoned in if you ask me.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't expect too much deviation from the base game, but I do hope there's some new weapon mods or upgrades at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    First Expansion has launched today!

So far so good. It's only 3 levels, but from what I've played (the first and most of the second), it's three massive levels, bigger than any in the base game. The expansion starts you with everything unlocked aside from the Crucible, and boy you gonna need it because it pulls no punches from the get go. I'm a usually Nightmare player going through on Ultra-Violence and some fights gave me a bit of trouble. Hope you didn't hate Marauders and Arch-Viles too much, because the devs certainly don't.

Biggest criticism I have is the music. It's OK. Functional. Nothing like the amazing soundtrack one is used to when playing these games. Visuals are on point as always thankfully, albeit I've had a few visual glitches here and there.

It's a pretty challenging expansion, IMO. Maybe I am rusty, old, or both. Quite challenging for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's a pretty challenging expansion, IMO. Maybe I am rusty, old, or both. Quite challenging for me though.
    The first level is OK aside from the dual Marauders fight, but the second one really ramps up with these damn Spirit-infused demons that take half your ammo supply to down when stuck to a Baron, can't be CCd at all and can't get their weak points broken either, AND you have to stand still microwaving it afterwards just to hammer home how terrible that weapon mod is, it's all a bit cheap IMO. The red Makyrs in mission 3 are much better balanced, hard hitting and invincible until they do a flashy attack then you just headshot them and they pop open like a watermelon giving you supplies.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    So far so good. It's only 3 levels, but from what I've played (the first and most of the second), it's three massive levels, bigger than any in the base game. The expansion starts you with everything unlocked aside from the Crucible, and boy you gonna need it because it pulls no punches from the get go. I'm a usually Nightmare player going through on Ultra-Violence and some fights gave me a bit of trouble. Hope you didn't hate Marauders and Arch-Viles too much, because the devs certainly don't.

Biggest criticism I have is the music. It's OK. Functional. Nothing like the amazing soundtrack one is used to when playing these games. Visuals are on point as always thankfully, albeit I've had a few visual glitches here and there.
    Yeah....when I saw that double Marauder fight in the trailer, I said fuck that. They are obnoxious as hell and exist just to try and sap your extra lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Yeah....when I saw that double Marauder fight in the trailer, I said fuck that. They are obnoxious as hell and exist just to try and sap your extra lives.
    Oh my sweet summer child, it's not just dual Marauders. After them you still have several waves of baddies to go, including dual Tyrants. And the second level has a Marauder beefed up by a Buff Totem you can't avoid or destroy which throws all your carefully learned timings into the dumpster. And there's the Spirit-possessed Barons of Hell or Tyrants that will make you wish you were fighting mere Marauders.

They definitely delivered on their promise to tune the DLC up compared to the main game, and not always in the right ways I find.