Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    "Genius" is just the nickname. She was an accomplished and internationally recognized supermodel, which apparently is enough to qualify. Like I said, it shouldn't be enough to qualify.

It's like you don't read to the end of posts, you just go off on random nonsense that tickles your fancy.
    How does what I said not relate to wealth or means?

She isn’t a genius she got in because of her means and that’s a nice way of putting it. Asylum seekers should stay based on need.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Done to discourage people from pretending to be asylum seekers, I’d guess.

What is there to seek asylum *from* in Canada and Mexico, anyway?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine using Buzzfeed for your news source. That said, a whole $50 is fuck all considering how much manpower goes into the immigration process, whether they be refugees, permanent residents or working visas. I can't imagine that it's cheap to be processing thousands of claims every month, and that cost goes on the backs of tax payers. Sure, it's meant to be a method of discouraging asylum seekers, but only a certain group of willful idiots think that people should just be able to cross borders uncontested and go wherever they like. Border laws exist for a reason, and are internationally recognized, including being recognized by the UN, no country is obligated to take them in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post

Canada - Justin Trudeau probably, since we have a lot of whiny Conservatives here who don't like him for a whole lot of different reasons (most of them obnoxious or stupid). Frankly, I'm indifferent, don't like him but I don't hate him, he's done some good and some bad.

Mexico - Drug cartels and sex traffickers

Only one of those is actually dangerous, and that'd be Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Imagine using Buzzfeed for your news source. That said, a whole $50 is fuck all considering how much manpower goes into the immigration process, whether they be refugees, permanent residents or working visas. I can't imagine that it's cheap to be processing thousands of claims every month, and that cost goes on the backs of tax payers. Sure, it's meant to be a method of discouraging asylum seekers, but only a certain group of willful idiots think that people should just be able to cross borders uncontested and go wherever they like. Border laws exist for a reason, and are internationally recognized, including being recognized by the UN, no country is obligated to take them in.
    $50 is fuck all if you sit on your comfortable couch, but it can mean the world when you had to flee around half the world and leave your family behind. This is just ignorant. Human rights, but only for those willing to pay, no, thank you. This is a disgrace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Man, conservatives in here are getting a little fucking weirder by the day.
    When you have to sacrifice your core beliefs to stay part of the cult something has to break eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, a whole $50 is fuck all
    Imagine being this ignorant about the life of a refuge. Yikes.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

only a certain group of willful idiots think that people should just be able to cross borders uncontested and go wherever they like.
    Yes, and I'm sure all 5 of them are extremely influential in forming US immigration policy.

Border laws exist for a reason, and are internationally recognized, including being recognized by the UN, no country is obligated to take them in.
    So internationally recognized that only 4 countries are willing to be reprehensible enough to impose something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Imagine being this ignorant about the life of a refuge. Yikes.
    I'm sure he's one of those who said garbage like "they have cell phones, how bad can their lives be?" during the European migrant crisis that started a few years ago.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-08-02 at 02:57 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Meanwhile, Americans think it's perfectly acceptable to be an illegal. If he's American, that is:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/02/89816..._campaign=news
    To be honest, right now we don't want any Americans in our country with Covid going on and the whole country being a complete dumpster fire for infection rates. We don't want them bringing it in when most of the country has it isolated or almost wiped out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    $50 is fuck all if you sit on your comfortable couch, but it can mean the world when you had to flee around half the world and leave your family behind. This is just ignorant. Human rights, but only for those willing to pay, no, thank you. This is a disgrace.
    If you can afford to travel half way around the world to enter a country illegally, you can afford that fee. It's not the same as Mexicans crossing the border, since it's a neighboring country to America. I'm not sure if you noticed, but traveling internationally isn't cheap, especially for a family.

10+ Year Old Account

People seek asylum to US from many countries.

Although, I don't know if US is getting any from locations other than Mexico right now, due to most of the world barring travel to and/or from US.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can afford to travel half way around the world to enter a country illegally, you can afford that fee. It's not the same as Mexicans crossing the border, since it's a neighboring country to America. I'm not sure if you noticed, but traveling internationally isn't cheap, especially for a family.
    I'd imagine there is a good chance that many of them are broke, because they had to spend what little they had to get that flight ticket.
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-08-02 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

To be honest, right now we don't want any Americans in our country with Covid going on and the whole country being a complete dumpster fire for infection rates. We don't want them bringing it in when most of the country has it isolated or almost wiped out.
    Totally understandable. If only other people would respect your borders and not treat you like an extension to their country, eh?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

America doesn’t only take in asylum seekers from Canada and mexico and it’s blatantly obvious that this is to keep out the people who need asylum most and don’t have the money to pay to apply. There is a reason the vast vast majority of the world doesn’t charge asylum seekers to apply it has nothing to do with people pretending.

- - - Updated - - -

50$ is not fuck all when you are fleeing for your life leaving your belongings behind likely from a country that doesn’t have a great exchange rate.

This also has nothing to do with crossing borders uncontested and every thing to do with trying to eliminate those who need it most from applying for asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Yes thousands which is the factual range of people that apply for asylum each year but I am sure in your mind it's millions
    I was gonna say like 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I was gonna say like 100k.
    At least google it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life isn't fair, save that fair is fair nonsense.
    Just to be clear, you're not arguing some state of the world thing, here, some natural rule that "life isn't fair, and you should accept that".

It may be "natural", but only in the same sense that "might makes right" is, because if I can kill you and take your stuff, then it's my stuff.

Once we're in a society, those "natural" factors stop really mattering, because societies have rules and guidelines.

What you're really saying is that you think life should not be fair, and that society should pick winners and losers, and punish the losers accordingly. Deliberately, and intentionally. In this case, solely because they're not Americans, and Americans should be the "winners" in your mind.

That's just misanthropic nationalist woo-woo nonsense. All I have to do to counter that is say "nah, we should be fair". That's absolutely an option, here, and your amoral opposition to "fairness" as a concept isn't actually any kind of argument.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    just being wealthy doesn't make the entire world's problems your problems nor responsibilities, forgetting about that is what landed the USA into the problems its been having around the world to begin with. a country's own citizens should be that county's first priority, the sooner the world can get back to that the better off all countries would be.
    Ah, another one who thinks that wars make the world a better place.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just to be clear, you're not arguing some state of the world thing, here, some natural rule that "life isn't fair, and you should accept that".

It may be "natural", but only in the same sense that "might makes right" is, because if I can kill you and take your stuff, then it's my stuff.

Once we're in a society, those "natural" factors stop really mattering, because societies have rules and guidelines.

What you're really saying is that you think life should not be fair, and that society should pick winners and losers, and punish the losers accordingly. Deliberately, and intentionally. In this case, solely because they're not Americans, and Americans should be the "winners" in your mind.

That's just misanthropic nationalist woo-woo nonsense. All I have to do to counter that is say "nah, we should be fair". That's absolutely an option, here, and your amoral opposition to "fairness" as a concept isn't actually any kind of argument.
    In America we choose truth over facts.

10+ Year Old Account

I never got the impression you were a satirical troll user, but spouting something that particularly ridiculous makes me question that conclusion.

This is a lie, and can be summarily dismissed.

And that’s the only time I’ve felt sad saying this to one of you.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2020-08-02 at 08:21 PM.

Yes, I'm sure a $50 fee will surely deter many people who have traveled long distances at great personal risk to themselves, if we're talking about some of those from central america that have made the journey on foot for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes, I'm sure a $50 fee will surely deter many people who have traveled long distances at great personal risk to themselves, if we're talking about some of those from central america that have made the journey on foot for example.
    It will deter those who are too poor to pay it, which is the whole point of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Through Mexico?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD