Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    Right but... its a market built around speculation a delayed release would hurt them more then a rushed one they patch later.
    Maybe. Both can hurt because both will have an impact on the value of the company. Investors are fickle and it is hard to predict how they will react to the news. If as you say backlash from Immortal was a concern then backlash from "another rushed expansion" would have equal concern.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=312334/...tas-and-zoltan

Blizzard has said it took a one week adjustment period. That isn't a big deal for a major tech company and shows that it was easy to accommodate hundreds of workers.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't the dip last for two years? I think it is safe to safe it wasn't because of immortal but other factors when taken with immortal.
    one week is a lot of lost dev time.

reminder, this was the original quote i said was false.
    "Most, if not all, of their developers already had that setup at home to begin with before the pandemic hit."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by [Apok] View Post
    They're free to release it at that point, but dependant on the country and the consumer protection laws of individuals, they could be legally challenged if they weren't to provide a refund or some other Renumeration.
    It only has to be a refund of any pre-purchase. There is nothing else that needs to be granted for failing to release on the semi-vague date.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    one week is a lot of lost dev time.
    Not really. I doubt they were planning on releasing around Christmas day.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    I can point at diablo immortal to show you otherwise. Bad press costs money with investors a major release pushed back would hurt them.
    And i can point to Diablo immortal being absolutely nothing to do with a release date - apples and oranges. Did the delay in War3 cause a dip? If there was a dip, was it the delay, or because the product was universally panned as a disappointment?

Blizzard could delay SL until early 2021 and there would be little to no impact at all on share price.

It only has to be a refund of any pre-purchase. There is nothing else that needs to be granted for failing to release on the semi-vague date.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. I doubt they were planning on releasing around Christmas day.
    They get the 19th of december till the 3rd of jan off.

if they had been anywhere in december, then it getting pushed a week back would be horrible, as the expansion would be released just before their holiday, why they have said they never want to do another expac release in december after cata, cause the launch of the expac is the most important, and bug filled, and those need to be filled for weeks, and you cant have that during the holidays.
    so even if it was to release last of nov, it would get pushed into december, not good.

1 week can make or break, imagine if an expac was to release 1 week before the 4th of july, but got pushed back to 4th of july... not gunna happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    1 week can make or break, imagine if an expac was to release 1 week before the 4th of july, but got pushed back to 4th of july... not gunna happen.
    Everything they have publicly stated on the issue says the delay from COVID-19 isn't a big deal and development stayed on track. I'm not sure why you are so dead set on proving otherwise when all you have is "I talked to people".

SL seems much further along then i thought it'd be at this time.. mid november release at the latest imo

Oh i agree, that's all they have to offer, doesn't mean that it's the only option though.

Just that by the letter of the law a refund isn't always the only way, in some situations alternatives can be favourable for the company, both in a monetary manner and a possible pr one.

Hey, out of interest, is that really a big thing in 'Murica? I realise the holiday is important, im just asking, as a non american; Are product releases shuffled around based on 4th July weekend?

Also, is July REALLY summer?

/s

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Hey, out of interest, is that really a big thing in 'Murica? I realise the holiday is important, im just asking, as a non american; Are product releases shuffled around based on 4th July weekend?

Also, is July REALLY summer?

/s
    They release the week before and week after, but generally not the week of. It's definitely not as big of deal as the xmas/new years holidays though, usually only a couple days off at most.

Everything they have publicly stated on the issue says the delay from COVID-19 isn't a big deal and development stayed on track. I'm not sure why you are so dead set on proving otherwise when all you have is "I talked to people".
    I love how you completely cut the rest of the quote, but im done discussing this dense argument about how "Most, if not all, of their developers already had that setup at home to begin with before the pandemic hit."

Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    Good luck on getting anything from said lawsuit before the next expansion after SL releases. But hey, that $5 voucher on WoW Services will probably be useful.
    Exactly /10

I don't want to place more fuel into this fire. Just as an anecdote, as a developer myself, transitioning to home office was pretty easy, most of my work was done on my own laptop anyway, just had to take my gear home from the office and all set. Some people didn't adapt to it very well though, so there's always the chance it might have delayed some because of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Games don't really fall on the holiday itself much. But movies and stuff still release on or around it. So products don't really get impacted that much. Summer is june 20th to september 22nd so yes it would be.

7+ Year Old Account
    There are major software companies that don't provide, at the least, all of their tech staff with a laptop?

On that note, of the 13ish people that I know that work at Blizzard (including the marketing "babes" and a guy in sales) they all have laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You can't be arsed to look up what exactly? And what is it that most people know to be true...well..if they know what is true, you also are completely wrong.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...on-shadowlands ""You have our commitment that we will be releasing Shadowlands this fall," executive producer John Hight announced " (on July 8th)

Or you can't be arsed to look up when fall starts?

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteo...omical-seasons

"meteorological fall includes September, October, and November"
    "the autumnal equinox on or around September 22"

So..I could be arsed to look it up for me...now surprise me by admitting you got your "facts" wrong. Since this is the internet...I won't hold my breath.

- - - Updated - - -

As usual? As usual was when everybody was complaining that Blizzard took too long with everything. But tell me...what MMO or x-pac of it ever came out "finished"? (whatever that means, because people would bitch and call it unfinished even if it only had 10 bugs)
    Why dont you calm down a bit and read the post i was quoting?

I was refering to the fact that blizzard has said q4 release multiple times. And that i bet most people on this forum could verify that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by [Apok] View Post
    The largest hit with working from home productivity wise is when people just cba to work and use not being in a company office as a time to get some extra "free time" off. Youd be suprised how many support tickets some i.t and networking departments get during large amounts of remote work because people somehow forget that their log-in credentials for vpn etc arent the same as their personal emails, and tickets get backed up compounding issues.

That isn't entirely true, it comes down to a few variables though.
    We dont use any login credentials outside of the worker ID they use every single day. We use an authenticator app for the password part.

Our developer department mostly(obviously) consist of pc savy people so we wherent hit very hard but i was invited to a new employees meeting featuring all branches of the company and lets just say that the HR department where lacking more then a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Good luck on your lawsuit if it doesnt release within 2020!
    Breaking a contract doesn't necessarily mean consequences or lawsuits, but guess a dude with a career as lumberjack or similar like you doesn't know much about those things.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Didn't J Allen Brack say on an interview it would release on November? And not sure if this was before or after the covid-19 pandemic, so, it might even be later than that?
    it was the shareholder report i talked about and it was after q1 report and covid19 but he said "fall 2020 as planed"
    I.O BFA Season 3

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    That depends wildly on the situation. Cyberpunk has been delayed like 20 times now and almost no one is complaining about it. I can't think of any major wow youtubers that would complain if this expac was delayed for polish - I mean most of them were begging Bliz to delay BfA after they actually got their hands on the azerite garbage.
    WoW is ongoing game, Cyberpunk new one. I'm pretty patient guy and for me CP could release even year from now, but for WoW I have acceptable timeframe. And I really like to play WoW during Christmas break, it would suck soooo much to have 3rd Christmas in BfA.

I think there should be ~10 months between launch of final raid and pre-patch content: 5 months for usual raid tier length + 5 months for break from WoW, cause without taking longer breaks you'll either burnout or become cynical addict that at same time hates & swallow everything Blizzard makes. And 10 months are enough for really solid Alpha+Beta.

they shouldn't even spoil the content /w announcements imo
    hearthstone has it perfectly: announcement -> 2-4 weeks of PR -> release
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz