Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As an old guild member once said when asked why he swapped off his Monk: “I like the class and it’s really fun, but it sucks that I have to put so much effort into playing it optimally to do subpar dps when I can play something else so much easier and do higher damage for less effort.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I'd say I think a violent martial artist like the Diablo monk that punches people and makes them explode is more what people are looking for in a monk fantasy rather than a monk like Chen who will sit there and drink while getting punched in the face. It's not as cool.

Like, compare the following gameplay visuals: In Diablo, a Monk auto-attacks a zombie and it freaking explodes. There's tons of speed, tons of impact. Mastery of self and form. Compare that to WoW where your Blackout Kick softy caresses the side of your enemy's face, and Fists of Fury where you just kind of limply move your hands forwards and backwards. It's not as epic.
    The animations are fucking awful lol especially FoF, you are correct.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Monks are literally the only class directly empowered or taught powers by Wild gods.
    What about Druids?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds and visuals are kinda wimpy, if the went with more solid/meaty sounding ability effects they would likely be more popular.
    A lot of their utility/damage reduction was turned in to PvP talents (lol) or just removed.
    More complicated than the average spec, but with average efficacy.
    Their niche of being the most mobile class was invalidated when demon hunters were released.

What to change:
    • Give monks double jump as well
    • If you roll/chi torpedo as you hit the ground you negate fall damage
    • Change ability visuals/sounds to something akin to diablo or pillars of eternity monks
    • Give WW monks sparring again, give all monks swift reflexes again
    • Give BrM toss keg again
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

As an old guild member once said when asked why he swapped off his Monk: “I like the class and it’s really fun, but it sucks that I have to put so much effort into playing it optimally to do subpar dps when I can play something else so much easier and do higher damage for less effort.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leggomydairy View Post
    They were the most fun in Mists imo

The panda visuals are too class connected. They’re constantly focusing on the idea that monks are pandaren or other races taught by them and never show us more about the human monks of scholomance or the draenei monks of Auchindoun.
    The monks we play are the Eastern Martial Arts master trope embodied by the pandaren monks.

The western style of monks we see in Lordareon are more like priests.

For me at least:

BRM: Stagger is great, but other than that I feel likeim hust a WW with wery few buttons to press. Also Extremely bad in W-PvE without a healer.
    Heck; its unplayable in PvP (all other tanks can at least survive in PvP )

WW: Its just stale. It is pretty mutch the same as always. Nothing new to the table worth mentioning since MoP

Mw: Kinda fun, but I think they need more ways to get some mana back and aoE-heal.

In general I feel likw Blizzard dont quite know what to so with monks and the fantasy is weak

Honestly? People sometimes play a class. I can tell you now, if druids did not have a ranged spec I wouldn't play it. So I mainly play resto and guardian, but when i have to I'll go balance. On my monk I only heal. I would never play WW or BM. Melee in general is a no-no for me, unless it's tanking. If I had to play feral because it was the only DPS spec I wouldn't be playing druid.

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    Tanking for pugs is about the most toxic experience you can ever find yourself in and WW/MW is not that fun to play or op numbers wise so fewer people play as dps or healer monks. Thats why you see them so rarely. Shaman is actually pretty fun to play if not min/max optimal so thats why you see more of them.
    That's subjective. I much rather play a MW monk than a Resto Shaman. I do play both and enjoy them but MW monks are fun in raiding, PvP and M+. Shaman are only good in progress raiding. Otherwise they're the first healer people actively avoid in most things. They heavily rely on casting which excludes them from PvP and some or most M+. And beyond progress their mastery is useless
    Last edited by Sharnie786; 2020-08-03 at 07:37 AM.
    Night Elves NEED long hair to the ground and more elegant/regal beautiful options to show their Highbourne heritage

10+ Year Old Account
    WW monks are extremely weak in pvp after karma is used. You can literally clobal WW monk that is stunned. Their healing is awful outside of karma compared to many other classes that rely on healing to survive. And their rotatio requires too much work compared to other classes and it feels clunky. Being forced to manage your energy and chi (both end too fast and gaining requires actual waiting) and then you need to weave between different skills or you will lose dps which is not fun play style. If you cannot change and adapt to the situation with different playstyles in pve then the class is damn boring to play. I find even 3 button demon hunters more enjoyable to play just because they can change the playstyle so fast depending on the situation and are not slowed down because of not having needed resources.

• WW needs back healing spheres that actually heal alot and their energy has to be removed so the gameplay spins around gaining and spending Chi without being slowed down by slow energy regeneration.
    • Make Chi to return automatically to max and keep skills that give Chi and spend Chi.
    • Put a 1 chi cost on the healing sphere and make it actually good heal. Remove vivify.
    • Make ironskin or whatever brew to have baseline 1 min CD + usable when stunned and remove healing effect from the karma.
    • Change the mastery for something more interesting that do not force you to weave between skills. (Example: Mastery increases dodge chance and doing dmg increases dodge chance % amount until you dodge. Doing dmg also gives resource for the next (add skill here).
    • New skills: When mastery have build up to max you can use one of these skills: Dodge next magic/physical skill, Gain 20 stacks of dmg increase buff(every skill uses 1 stack, remove all mobility skills remaining CDs. When using one of these 3 skills your mastery stacks drop back to 0 and you need to build up them again for the next skill.
    • Make rising sun kick actually matter by making it hit really hard or have additional effect.
    • Fists of fury used to be fun when it stunned target but clearly way too OP. Now it is really boring skill to press and do not fit monks quick melee combat so change it into something that fits more to the quick, agile and adrenaline focused gameplay. (Example: every skill has a chance to activate hightened reflexes that allows to use new skill (add name here) that will use the skill again which triggered the effect (off clobal CD) duration 2 sec).

These are just my ideas. I liked WW monk most back in MoP and actually was able to almost get 1800 rating by soloing 2v2 arena. Back then monks were gods when played right and there were just few who were able to master them which was bad thing for the class but still made the class fun and challening. Now WW monks seem to not have real theme and their skills are just weak without using long CDs. Their survivability is shit and they feel inferior to DHs in every aspect.

BM is my favourite tank spec to play, but the removal of keg toss really hurt it in terms of enjoyment.
    For WW I have to say that it is the most interesting melee spec to play, but the fact that not even fist weapons are used in the attack animations, made me throw the spec aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootsbum View Post
    Mw: Kinda fun, but I think they need more ways to get some mana back and aoE-heal.

In general I feel likw Blizzard dont quite know what to so with monks and the fantasy is weak
    Erm, Essence Font, Revival, Vivify? That's the same as Resto Druids who only have Wild Growth, Efflorescence and Tranquility. You can also have at least 3 Renewing Mists out at a time, and they smart heal. Not sure what you're talking about tbh.

Not to mention their ST healing is one of the best in the game. The reason why MW is used in top M+ runs is because it is soooo good. Even if it doesn't bring the utility a resto druid does with a CR, etc, it is still worth it for the healing and dmg output.
    Night Elves NEED long hair to the ground and more elegant/regal beautiful options to show their Highbourne heritage

10+ Year Old Account
    Because demon hunters do everything better than them, like get rid of mistweaver and they are essentially the same class.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I very rarely see Monks in game and was wondering why? I understand WW/MW are in bad spots for raiding but I feel like at least BM is decent and all are useful in Mythic+. On the other hand I see Shaman everywhere and all 3 of their specs are in the dumpster right now for everything and Ele/Enh have been memes since Vanilla.
    Easy answer. First of all, the theme. People just don't dig the asian/pandaren theme. The devs weren't able to move monks away from the Pandaria theme, sadly and that means they are 100% tied to the image of a pandaren. And many players just don't vibe with that. And then, it's not a cool, edgy class like DK or DH, why the fuck wants to kick and punch, when they can be literal edge lords with army of undead or fucking lazer beam eyes.

Second, when it came out, it wasn't crazy OP like DKs and DHs, instead they were crazy complex. And the general playerbase doesn't like that. And they stayed complex for a long time, the biggest monk spike was in Legion, for one and only reason. The legendary weapon ability was fucking OP. Of course when they nerfed it in the next patch, everyone stopped playing monk again.

Third, by the time MoP came around, people were already way too interested in their current mains to switch to a new one. It's a foverer alt class. A lot of people leveled one, got bored and barely play it.

and lastly, it's largly ignored by the devs, ever since Legion, the class has been on a huge backburner, and rightfully so, why waste time and resources on a class that noone plays.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Because half the playerbase can't get past kung fu panda lol.
    Never gave a shit about this, I mained Monk in MoP.

I don't play Monk because of their stupid silly animations that only fit a Pandaren, and are overall very uninteresting compared to the other classes at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
    The devs weren't able to move monks away from the Pandaria theme,
    And they shouldn't. Besides those weird offshots in the Scarlet Monastery, Pandaren are iconic monks of Warcraft.

and that means they are 100% tied to the image of a pandaren.
    As they should be.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    What about Druids?
    I thinking that too but druids could still be druids without wild gods.

Monks would be well nothing they wouldnt exist.

I love WW's monk playstyle but absolutely hate Pandaren culture and how much of it is associated to the class. Legion Monk's Order Hall was awful even though Legion's WW Monk was probably the best iteration of the class.

Still main it because it is the only class that's really powerful lore-wise, can be a Night Elf and is hybrid (I dislike shapeshifting so no Druid for me).

The day Blizzard releases Night Elf Paladins, I'm done with WW.

- - - Updated - - -

Easy answer. First of all, the theme. People just don't dig the asian/pandaren theme. The devs weren't able to move monks away from the Pandaria theme, sadly and that means they are 100% tied to the image of a pandaren. And many players just don't vibe with that. And then, it's not a cool, edgy class like DK or DH, why the fuck wants to kick and punch, when they can be literal edge lords with army of undead or fucking lazer beam eyes.

Second, when it came out, it wasn't crazy OP like DKs and DHs, instead they were crazy complex. And the general playerbase doesn't like that. And they stayed complex for a long time, the biggest monk spike was in Legion, for one and only reason. The legendary weapon ability was fucking OP. Of course when they nerfed it in the next patch, everyone stopped playing monk again.

Third, by the time MoP came around, people were already way too interested in their current mains to switch to a new one. It's a foverer alt class. A lot of people leveled one, got bored and barely play it.

and lastly, it's largly ignored by the devs, ever since Legion, the class has been on a huge backburner, and rightfully so, why waste time and resources on a class that noone plays.
    This. ALL of this!

That artifact weapon ability was Bonkers good. Popping Serenity, the ability and a RSK did like 80% of HP of someone lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    As a Monk Main for the last few expacs, I'd guess a lot of the People that went to Monk for its Mobility simply straight up changed to Demon Hunters in Legion. Mostly because Monk was touted as the class all about fast hits and highest mobility of all classes, then became 2nd fiddle in those respects with DH's release.
    I never have any trouble outrunning Demon Hunters. Why do ppl say DHs are more mobile? Double Chi Torpedo, the Dragon Kick, Trascendence...

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I'd say I think a violent martial artist like the Diablo monk that punches people and makes them explode is more what people are looking for in a monk fantasy rather than a monk like Chen who will sit there and drink while getting punched in the face. It's not as cool.

Like, compare the following gameplay visuals: In Diablo, a Monk auto-attacks a zombie and it freaking explodes. There's tons of speed, tons of impact. Mastery of self and form. Compare that to WoW where your Blackout Kick softy caresses the side of your enemy's face, and Fists of Fury where you just kind of limply move your hands forwards and backwards. It's not as epic.
    That would do it for me. I bet most people in wow like the cute whimsy panda monk style though.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frandaero View Post
    I never have any trouble outrunning Demon Hunters. Why do ppl say DHs are more mobile? Double Chi Torpedo, the Dragon Kick, Trascendence...
    Double jump + Glide made travelling without pathfinder infinitely easier. Also makes a lot of things like large falls or cliffs irrelevant to DH's. Chi torpedo is good and all, until you fall 60ft.

Personaly I think it all comes down mainly from 2 things:

the rly bad early impresion mop made and the association people made with MONK=PANDA=SILLY

and because of the fantasy of the class

this is my personal opinion ofc but im sure many share it just by looking at how much popular demon hunters are

its just not cool being a monk...its the only melee class that doesnt actualy use its weapon to fight,besides feral that is much cooler and is played most(granted proly not because of feral)

tanking wise again not nearly as cool as any of the other tanks

healing is proly the most apealing spec

and we can simply see the comparison with the other new classes dk and dh,both got to start as high levels,instantly making them more apealing than starting from lvl 1,and the apeal of dk and dh simply is superior,it also helps that they came out with 2 of the most hyped expansions,wile mop was if im not mistaken the worst expansion when it came o hype,it was a great expansion sure,but the early damage was done
    Last edited by deenman; 2020-08-04 at 08:39 AM.