Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I’m no fan of McConnell and his methods but I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t good at his job. On topic, the article in the OP doesn’t prove what it claims to prove. All you can really say from it is that 65% of those going back to work in May (June?) were making more from the enhanced UI then by going to work. There are still many millions of Americans who are still out of work who fall into that category. Not to mention essential workers kinda getting boned in that deal.

I’ll say this if the aid package passes with continued enhanced UI in some form and no bone is included for essential workers, I’ll be pretty pissed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    I’m no fan of McConnell and his methods but I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t good at his job. On topic, the article in the OP doesn’t prove what it claims to prove. All you can really say from it is that 65% of those going back to work in May (June?) were making more from the enhanced UI then by going to work. There are still many millions of Americans who are still out of work who fall into that category. Not to mention essential workers kinda getting boned in that deal.

I’ll say this if the aid package passes with continued enhanced UI in some form and no bone is included for essential workers, I’ll be pretty pissed.
    Maybe take that up with your employers, since they're also the ones pushing for liability protections against being sued if essential workers catch COVID.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Maybe take that up with your employers, since they're also the ones pushing for liability protections against being sued if essential workers catch COVID.
    Many, even in the health care industry, doing dick all to to help keep their employees safe. I'm sorry but if you aren't doing anything, or at a bare minimum requiring masks, then you deserve to get sued if your employees or customers get COVID from your business.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Many, even in the health care industry, doing dick all to to help keep their employees safe. I'm sorry but if you aren't doing anything, or at a bare minimum requiring masks, then you deserve to get sued if your employees or customers get COVID from your business.
    You deserve to have your business closed down or taken away from you if you fail to protect your employees reasonably well while they are at work..

10+ Year Old Account
    Subsidies to a performing arts centre? I can do this too. Your name is on the bill? Then you advocated for it. Pretty sure there were lots of republicans voting to pass the aid packages as well. Nice try though.
    What the fuck are you even talking about? The White House included extension of the FBI building, neither democrats or republicans understand why Trump had to have it. Although, the speculation is that Trump wants exclusivity to his hotel across the street.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    You deserve to have your business closed down or taken away from you if you fail to protect your employees reasonably well while they are at work..
    Hell, I feel the same way about business that fail to provide living wages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    What the fuck are you even talking about? The White House included extension of the FBI building, neither democrats or republicans understand why Trump had to have it. Although, the speculation is that Trump wants exclusivity to his hotel across the street.
    Add to it the millions to renovate the rose garden in that proposed package as well.

It proves that the gop and trump were wrong about people not going back to work because they were making more by not working.

They continue to say people wont go back to work when clearly they are going back to work even when making substancially more money on UI

Most of the "many millions" dont have jobs to go back to .

There is no proof of what they claim unless you got a link
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts? Got money from the CARES act? Was a Democrat inclusion? Don’t tell me you were selectively railing against Republican riders while conveniently ignoring ones from Democrats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    It proves that the gop and trump were wrong about people not going back to work because they were making more by not working.

They continue to say people wont go back to work when clearly they are going back to work even when making substancially more money on UI

Most of the "many millions" dont have jobs to go back to .

There is no proof of what they claim unless you got a link
    You don’t know that though, and neither do I. That’s my point. I don’t need another link, the original one doesn’t bear out what it claims. I know it ‘says’ it does but it doesn’t. We know nothing about the millions out of work from the link. Yeah 65% of those returning to work were making out from enhanced UI, but as I said it says nothing about those still not working. Did they have job offers and turn them down? We’re they looking at all? Could they just not find anything? We don’t know. The counter argument is supposition but so is this article.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have actually, have you? Disagreeing on the method doesn’t mean the goal isn’t the same. More people need to remember that.
    Unless the method is completely contrary to the goal.

Like repeatedly trying to tie aid packages to liability protections for businesses that get their workers exposed to COVID through negligence, and then failing miserably because it turns out they're actually unpopular as fuck with anyone that isn't on a lobbyist's payroll.

- - - Updated - - -

The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts? Got money from the CARES act? Was a Democrat inclusion? Don’t tell me you were selectively railing against Republican riders while conveniently ignoring ones from Democrats.
    Gee, I wonder what possible value there might be from continuing to publicly fund the arts a) during a pandemic when people are stuck at home needing entertainment, and b) during a pandemic where a lot of continuing performances and exhibits are unable to generate revenue and thus run the risk of permanent closure. You know, like the other small businesses being propped up by these aid packages?

Please do indicate the eminent risk of a sector failure that is being forestalled by giving the FBI another overpriced building. Because if you can't, I'm gonna call bullshit on this false equivalency that is clearly just a dig against programs you deem useless and not an actual defense of Republicans being corrupt as shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let’s ask Trump about that?

Trump defends $25 million in Kennedy Center funding in coronavirus stimulus
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...in-coronavirus

"I’m a fan of that," Trump said of the funding. "I haven’t spent time there because I’m far too busy. I’d love to go there evenings, but I’m too busy doing things."

"The Kennedy Center, they do a beautiful job, an incredible job," he added.
    Let’s add the Kennedy Center to the FBI building, and ask again... why is Trump supporting these, but refuses to expand unemployment? Want to try again?

- - - Updated - - -

Please do indicate the eminent risk of a sector failure that is being forestalled by giving the FBI another overpriced building. Because if you can't, I'm gonna call bullshit on this false equivalency that is clearly just a dig against programs you deem useless and not an actual defense of Republicans being corrupt as shit.
    Trump supported it... he now has to explain why Trump supported this as well... will he? lol
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Someone mind telling me why republicans are mad about TAXPAYERS getting taxpayer money?????

Are they aware that non-working people who couldn't be approved for unemployment don't get it. Meaning that the people getting it are the same people who work and pay taxes.

Like republicans don't want to give taxpayers their money, but have no problem giving it to businesses so they can write off lunches

They don't want to give money for foodstamps to help the food insecure poor but they want to give money for fucking lunches for businesses?!

Senate GOP rejects pandemic food stamp aid while calling to double “three-martini lunch” deduction

Senate Republicans rejected an extension of a program that expanded food aid to families affected by the coronavirus pandemic in their relief proposal but included a provision which would double the "three-martini lunch" deduction for business meals.

The Census Bureau reported that about 26 million adults and between 8 to 15 million children live in households that did not have enough food last month. Images around the country, from Arizona and Texas to New York and Massachusetts, show mile-long lines at food banks amid the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression.

"This bill is entirely divorced from the reality of the crisis this country is facing," added Sarah Reinhardt of the Union of Concerned Scientists' Food and Environmental Program.
    Anyone saying that republicans give two shits about people are blind or fooling themselves, but to what end? Apparently their own death.

Like this guy:

Last edited by Themius; 2020-08-03 at 11:41 PM.

Unless the method is completely contrary to the goal.

Like repeatedly trying to tie aid packages to liability protections for businesses that get their workers exposed to COVID through negligence, and then failing miserably because it turns out they're actually unpopular as fuck with anyone that isn't on a lobbyist's payroll.

- - - Updated - - -

Gee, I wonder what possible value there might be from continuing to publicly fund the arts a) during a pandemic when people are stuck at home needing entertainment, and b) during a pandemic where a lot of continuing performances and exhibits are unable to generate revenue and thus run the risk of permanent closure. You know, like the other small businesses being propped up by these aid packages?

shh they would rather focus on this then the money given to businesses in KY by Moscow Mitch to...umm....fast track....sunscreen....for profit.

- - - Updated - - -

You don’t know that though, and neither do I. That’s my point. I don’t need another link, the original one doesn’t bear out what it claims. I know it ‘says’ it does but it doesn’t. We know nothing about the millions out of work from the link. Yeah 65% of those returning to work were making out from enhanced UI, but as I said it says nothing about those still not working. Did they have job offers and turn them down? We’re they looking at all? Could they just not find anything? We don’t know. The counter argument is supposition but so is this article.
    The study shows that the basic assumption of the GOP is false otherwise you would not have 70% of the people going back to work be the ones they said WOULD NOT GO BACK TO WORK.

as for the millions out of work you can go to the BLS and look at the labor survey which gives you a clear picture of the millions out of work.

if they had job offers and turned them down without just a few allowed reasons, they would lose their benefits.
    if they were not looking at all they would lose their benefits.

I do not disagree that there should be a cut off at a high % of max salary, but giving nothing or cutting it down to a pittance during a pandemic is counter productive to economic recovery and job creation.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Someone mind telling me why republicans are mad about TAXPAYERS getting taxpayer money?????

Are they aware that non-working people who couldn't be approved for unemployment don't get it. Meaning that the people getting it are the same people who work and pay taxes.

Like republicans don't want to give taxpayers their money, but have no problem giving it to businesses so they can write off lunches

They don't want to give money for foodstamps to help the food insecure poor but they want to give money for fucking lunches for businesses?!

Senate GOP rejects pandemic food stamp aid while calling to double “three-martini lunch” deduction

Anyone saying that republicans give two shits about people are blind or fooling themselves, but to what end? Apparently their own death.

Like this guy:

Apparently that's not bullshit, either. Way to go, Rick!

Imagine that being your legacy. A Covidiot to the end. I hope he didn't infect too many people before he died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great piece with a lot of inside baseball.
    Spoiler: Mcconnell sounds exactly as lazy and disconnected as you think he is.

The future of the GOP looks equally vile and lazy...

Government Affiliated Snark

You don’t know that though, and neither do I. That’s my point. I don’t need another link, the original one doesn’t bear out what it claims. …...SNIP.
    How about more studies? More data that points to the 600 not being anywhere near the main factor to people going back to work

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/04/rese...g-to-work.html
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/31/unem...ale-study.html

The Yale research showed that low wage workers and workers from states where unemployment benefits are lower — so those for whom the $600 supplement increased their total unemployment benefits by a bigger percentage — “did not experience larger declines in employment when the benefits expansion went into effect,” the report said.

“In fact, if anything, groups facing larger increases in benefit generosity experience slight gains in employment relative to the least-treated group by early May,” said the report.

Instead, the most important factor in whether people returned to work was the availability of jobs, according to Joseph G. Altonji, the Thomas DeWitt Cuyler Professor of Economics at Yale University, and Dana Scott, a graduate student and Ph.D. candidate at Yale’s economics department, who co-authored the report.

“While some people may have chosen not to look for work because of the generosity of [unemployment] benefits, the dominating factor in employment levels has been low labor demand,” they said

A growing body of research has shown no such correlation between boosted unemployment pay and people not returning to work. A Yale report published in July, for example, found that the extra $600 is not the primary reason people are, or are not, working. Rather, the most important factor in whether people returned to work was the availability of jobs.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    I do not disagree that there should be a cut off at a high % of max salary, but giving nothing or cutting it down to a pittance during a pandemic is counter productive to economic recovery and job creation.
    That’s regressive... people who were already struggling would fail with a cut off, while people who made a lot of money would be hitting the cap.

- - - Updated - - -

I have actually, have you? Disagreeing on the method doesn’t mean the goal isn’t the same. More people need to remember that.
    How do you know the goal is the same? I don’t think people who have been demanding everything open up for months, have the same goals as those demanding a lock down. It’s two very different priorities. Opening up, is not a method to save lives or keeping people from getting sick. It’s to keep owners of places like hotels and golf courses open... you know... that “was” Trump’s “job” his whole life? The goals cannot be the same...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because nobody's willing to work for the wages you're offering?

That means people value their labor more than you do. Your offer is too low. Offer them higher wages. That's how the labor market works.
    Just imagine if the US got some form of UBI. Companies paying minimum wage with no benefits are going to shit their pants when they suddenly find they can't get anyone to work for them, while the companies offering decent wages for labor will be flooded with talent.

But then again, the companies that try to get away with paying as little as possible for labor are majorly conservative, and the companies offering good wages are largely liberal. I wouldn't lose much sleep if places like chick fil a and wal mart suddenly came into tremendous financial hardship because they've been relying on government subsidized labor for a long time now.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Getting these threads mixed up...

Well, they want to agree on something in principle by the end of the week. From the gist of things both sides are stuck on extreme and neither wants to actually negotiate.

Translation: Lets find out which side constituents will scream the loudest at and blame next week.
    ...and it's only Tuesday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Government Affiliated Snark

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Getting these threads mixed up...

Well, they want to agree on something in principle by the end of the week. From the gist of things both sides are stuck on extreme and neither wants to actually negotiate.

Translation: Lets find out which side constituents will scream the loudest at and blame next week.
    ...and it's only Tuesday.
    bOtH sIdEs
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.