Page 6 of 186 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My body is ready!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

@ro9ue maybe you could update the OP for anyone hearing about it for the first time with the release of May 2020 and some of the vague info we have? Like set in 16th century colonial situation etc

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only discovered this game yesterday, randomly watching a YouTube vid about MMO's in 2020/21. Kinda excited! I haven't found anything to really enjoy in MMO's since WoW/FFXIV and ESO - all of which are between 5 and 15 years old.

It's also not stupidly expensive for a change!! Might well give it a go. I haven't read too much about it, but seems they moved away from a more PvP focused game to a PvE one after the Alpha, which suits me just fine. May pre-order and try the Beta, even...

Anyone have thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    They already made a 180 considering the sandbox thing because people didn't like the concept. That was after the pre-alpha testing.

It is a bit worrying that they went for such a major change this late in the development.
    I sure hope so, when I tested it it was just an mmo survival game.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

According to a german game-magazine, it is now a PvE focused game with optional PvP and no survival mechanics. While at first it was a PvP game with survival mechanics.

The devs realised however that there is no market (or only a small one) for it's earlier version and that it's hard to get into as a new player because human beings are assholes and testers started ganking lower players to the point where they didn't want to play anymore.

You can now attack/defend forts either in a 50v50 PvP match, or do it with other players against AI controlled enemies etc.
    I'm not sure what to think of it. The combat animations were solid, but at the same time, it looked slow and repetitive. I can't imagine myself grinding with that system.
    Even though I really appreciate the fact that you have to block and dodge. Action combat is cool, but I remember grinding BAMs in Tera and that got boring real quick.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-02-23 at 02:47 PM.

Yeah - seen this sort of thing before, great to start - but you want to start playing a year after release - forget it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

New World Designed for Consoles.

After testing it for a bit now, the game really seems to have been designed absolutely with consoles in mind.

It has full controller support and actually feels better that way. (Coming from a pc gamer.)
    Which isnt that crazy but it has voip integrated in a way that seems setup for consoles.

But the final nail and the biggest tale tale sign... is the UI.

Not only is everything setup without a mouse in mind, it seems to be setup so that everything is viewable from far away.

Every menu takes up the full screen. Theres no scaling. Everything is basically a full screen box. No real dragging or mouse style inventory.

Its arpg console like.

I would absolutely be blown away if they put this much work into couch design/controls/ui for a pc only game.

ESO doesn't come close to this game in terms of a controller/couch based design.
    Last edited by Drench; 2020-07-31 at 11:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did this need it's own thread? Could have just put this in the megathread.

I would absolutely be blown away if they put this much work into couch design/controls/ui for a pc only game.
    A lot of people prefer to play their ARPGs (Witcher, Assassin's Creed, etc) with a controller, even on PC, so this is not a surprise at all.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Did this need it's own thread? Could have just put this in the megathread.

A lot of people prefer to play their ARPGs (Witcher, Assassin's Creed, etc) with a controller, even on PC, so this is not a surprise at all.
    Couldn't find it.

All I found was a thread about a delay.

For a PC mmo to have no options for a PC style interface and not be for consoles would be odd.

Im just saying I would be blown away if it was announced soon or in a few months for PS5/Whatver new xbox is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DuskSP View Post
    Couldn't find it.

All I found was a thread about a delay.

For a PC mmo to have no options for a PC style interface and not be for consoles would be odd.

Im just saying I would be blown away if it was announced soon or in a few months for PS5/Whatver new xbox is.
    I mean, I played the alpha (and wasn't terribly impressed, but I suppose things may have changed since then, was almost a year ago), I don't see how the UI is inherently "console style" anyways, it's just minimalistic.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I mean, I played the alpha (and wasn't terribly impressed, but I suppose things may have changed since then, was almost a year ago), I don't see how the UI is inherently "console style" anyways, it's just minimalistic.
    I've been playing yesterday and today, never occurred to me to think about UI and stuff being designed for consoles. Everything felt clean and easy to get to, one button away.
    I wouldn't say there was anything that impressed me but I've been binge playing all day and am having super fun. If they improve upon what I've been playing for release, it's definitely going to fill that niche I've been looking for.

You can't see the difference between a ui like dark souls or skyrim(They are on pc but its very much a console UI) vs something like wow, baldur's gate 3 or a pc focused game?

I'm not saying pc games don't support controllers. But typically if its designed for a controller and supported massively by a controller design its on both.

They are saying its gonna be a pc game and they haven't thought about consoles when its clearly massively designed for a controller and couch play.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    I've been playing yesterday and today, never occurred to me to think about UI and stuff being designed for consoles. Everything felt clean and easy to get to, one button away.
    I wouldn't say there was anything that impressed me but I've been binge playing all day and am having super fun. If they improve upon what I've been playing for release, it's definitely going to fill that niche I've been looking for.

Ya it for sure feels niche. It wont really fill a wow role I don't think for most people but could be fun as another style of a game.

I just thought it was interesting that no one is talking about it on consoles. Seems like a good game to play that way.
    Last edited by Drench; 2020-08-01 at 12:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't see the difference between a ui like dark souls or skyrim(They are on pc but its very much a console UI) vs something like wow, baldur's gate 3 or a pc focused game?

I'm not saying pc games don't support controllers. But typically if its designed for a controller and supported massively by a controller design its on both.

They are saying its gonna be a pc game and they haven't thought about consoles when its clearly massively designed for a controller and couch play.
    Those differences don't make them inherently "console", just, again, as I already said, minimalistic... WoW and Baldur's gate need complicated interfaces because the systems they are built on top of require them to be reasonably functional, Skyrim and Dark Souls do not.

Those differences don't make them inherently "console", just, again, as I already said, minimalistic... WoW and Baldur's gate need complicated interfaces because the systems they are built on top of require them to be reasonably functional, Skyrim and Dark Souls do not.
    Okay. Okay.

After testing it for a bit now, the game really seems to have been designed absolutely with consoles in mind.

It has full controller support and actually feels better that way. (Coming from a pc gamer.)
    Which isnt that crazy but it has voip integrated in a way that seems setup for consoles.

But the final nail and the biggest tale tale sign... is the UI.

Not only is everything setup without a mouse in mind, it seems to be setup so that everything is viewable from far away.

Every menu takes up the full screen. Theres no scaling. Everything is basically a full screen box. No real dragging or mouse style inventory.

Its arpg console like.

ESO doesn't come close to this game in terms of a controller/couch based design.
    Its not going to release on console for at least a while after launch at the very least, the game is not setup to use a controller straight away though so its doesnt have official controller support built in it yet otherwise everything would already have a preset to use a controller with no keybinding.

Probably 2 years from now before there is even a chance to see it on consoles and it would just be on next gen probably, there are certain games where its good to use a controller as mouse and keyboard can strain the wrists overtime so a controller gives a good rest.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    Well, sandbox MMOs have very limited appeal for the western audience. Sure, people will try it, but not that many will stay past the honeymoon period. So it's no surprise they reconsidered it.

And with things like Mordhau and for honour out, I'm sure people are ready for an MMO with modern combat, they just need to get the rest of the game right.
    I just finished playing the server stability testing and from what I can say. I had a real lot of fun playing the game and anyone going into this wanting to play a WoW style or theme park MMO is going to be very disappointed. I was surprised how enjoyable the game was after reading what others wrote about the game. WoW is a complete experience but NW is more enjoyable to me.

I just finished playing the server stability testing and from what I can say. I had a real lot of fun playing the game and anyone going into this wanting to play a WoW style or theme park MMO is going to be very disappointed. I was surprised how enjoyable the game was after reading what others wrote about the game. WoW is a complete experience but NW is more enjoyable to me.
    You gonna have to come up with more context if you're planning to quote a 7 month old post.

Yeah I mean for any half-decent game, you are going to enjoy the first few hours a lot, if for nothing but novelty. The question really comes down to how much content and 'replayablity' does the game have. SWTOR was very fun to level to 50 for example, and then everyone just left because there was nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Yeah I mean for any half-decent game, you are going to enjoy the first few hours a lot, if for nothing but novelty. The question really comes down to how much content and 'replayablity' does the game have. SWTOR was very fun to level to 50 for example, and then everyone just left because there was nothing to do.
    Definitely going to be personal preference and opinion here on this one. I've come up with a comparison that doesn't go in depth but hits the nails for me.

WoW is absolutely the best MMO out there overall. WoW is filled with an immense amount of content, absolute shit ton to do, the most by far. But I don't want to do any of it and there's generally no incentive to do the content when I do. WoW's the perfect MMO where there's tons of shit to do for no reason and ya do it cause ya got nothing better to do.

New World hit the other end of the spectrum where there is so little to do but I actually want to do it and am finding it fun while doing it. And that very little that I am doing has meaningful value towards my character progression and feels good. New World sparked a lot of joy for me and anyone looking for something similar to WoW shouldn't even bother looking at this game.

Definitely going to be personal preference and opinion here on this one. I've come up with a comparison that doesn't go in depth but hits the nails for me.

WoW is absolutely the best MMO out there overall. WoW is filled with an immense amount of content, absolute shit ton to do, the most by far. But I don't want to do any of it and there's generally no incentive to do the content when I do. WoW's the perfect MMO where there's tons of shit to do for no reason and ya do it cause ya got nothing better to do.

New World hit the other end of the spectrum where there is so little to do but I actually want to do it and am finding it fun while doing it. And that very little that I am doing has meaningful value towards my character progression and feels good. New World sparked a lot of joy for me and anyone looking for something similar to WoW shouldn't even bother looking at this game.
    WoW is play the latest patch.. all the prior expansions are not a part of that. WoW is very thin when it comes to actual endgame content since they make it anything prior to the latest expansion not a part of your character progression.

so as long as NW don't do the same mistake they could be fine.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.