Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New PC for WoW with 2 monitors

A bit of a preamble:
    For the past 4 years I tried to be "smart" and upgrade my PC part by part like some people do but found out that I despise this kind of experience and want to go back to what I was doing previously: order a custom build PC from the parts I want, use it for 3 years no upgrades or repairs involved and then move to the next one.

I'd appreciate a lot if someone would help me with my new build - the PC will be in use for playing WoW (mythic raiding) solely, maybe some occasional FFXIV.

I'm buying a new 27'' monitor with it - an Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ with a hope to get 60fps in raids on 1440p@144Hz.
    I will use my 8 years old 24'' Asus ISP monitor as a second one - it's 1080p@60Hz.
    I think that 16Gb memory would be enough and I want only one 500Gb SSD drive (that's the one I have now and I don't need more space).
    I don't need any bells and whistles like RGB stuff and such so if there are parts that are cheaper without RGB - very good.

Any help is highly appreciated
    TL;DR: PC for WoW, works 3 years, no upgrades during this time.
    Last edited by Moredo; 2020-08-02 at 07:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moredo View Post
    A bit of a preamble:
    For the past 4 years I tried to be "smart" and upgrade my PC part by part like some people do but found out that I despise this kind of experience and want to go back to what I was doing previously: order a custom build PC from the parts I want, use it for 3 years no upgrades or repairs involved and then move to the next one.

I'd appreciate a lot if someone would help me with my new build - the PC will be in use for playing WoW (mythic raiding) solely, maybe some occasional FFXIV.

I'm buying a new 27'' monitor with it - an Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ with a hope to get 60fps in raids on 1440p@144Hz.
    I will use my 8 years old 24'' Asus ISP monitor as a second one - it's 1080p@60Hz.
    I think that 16Gb memory would be enough and I want only one 500Gb SSD drive (that's the one I have now and I don't need more space).
    I don't need any bells and whistles like RGB stuff and such so if there are parts that are cheaper without RGB - very good.

Any help is highly appreciated
    You say you want to order a custom PC, do you want to build it yourself, or let someone else do it?
    Where do you live (Country is fine)?
    What budget do you have?
    What do you actually do with it? Just gaming and browsing, or work?

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    I wouldn't go less than 32GB RAM these days. It's your money, though.
    You must love throwing away money then. If you just game, then anything over 8 is basically pointless, if you also like to have browsers and chatting programs open, then there's a reason to go with 16. But 32 is either for epeen extensions or if you do actual work on your PC, like video editing or complex 3d modelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You say you want to order a custom PC, do you want to build it yourself, or let someone else do it?
    Where do you live (Country is fine)?
    What budget do you have?
    What do you actually do with it? Just gaming and browsing, or work?
    1. I will let the shop to do the building
    2. Israel
    3. Budget is not the issue but I don't want to spend even 10 cents for things I don't need ($800-1500 budget, I guess, not sure about the prices today). As I said, this PC will stay for 3 years only
    4. Only to play WoW (with good graphic settings) and browsing
    Last edited by Moredo; 2020-08-02 at 10:22 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    You must love throwing away money then. If you just game, then anything over 8 is basically pointless, if you also like to have browsers and chatting programs open, then there's a reason to go with 16. But 32 is either for epeen extensions or if you do actual work on your PC, like video editing or complex 3d modelling.
    depends on what you game. If you only play kids games like Fortnite or CSGo then yeah, 4gb ram is enough. But then if you play Total War Warhammer 2, 16gb is recommended. Same for Star Citizen. Even Microsoft Flight Simulator recommends 32gb ram

Not really feasible. Your FPS in raids is going to drop regardless of your hardware. Also, 144Hz part is completely irrelevant obviously, you wont get enough fps to take an advantage of that in raids.

That's going to be a big problem. Unless both monitors are identical, or ar least same resolution and same refresh rate you will have HUGE issues in WoW.

That's fine but take note that with SSDs bigger size not only means it fits more data but it's also faster and more durable, and significantly, even across the same model.

If you dont plan to use RTX you're fine to buy now, but if you do I suggest waiting for 3000 series GPUs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    depends on what you game. If you only play kids games like Fortnite or CSGo then yeah, 4gb ram is enough. But then if you play Total War Warhammer 2, 16gb is recommended. Same for Star Citizen. Even Microsoft Flight Simulator recommends 32gb ram
    All aviation simulators, including MSFS are professional applications and always had hardware requirements to match. Not only for the memory. Also if you tell a serious simmer that he's playing MSFS he's gonna break your skull. Those are not games for a very large fraction of the users.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

That's going to be a big problem. Unless both monitors are identical, or ar least same resolution and same refresh rate you will have HUGE issues in WoW.

I have the same Asus main display with 1080p Dell as 2nd monitor and have no idea what issues are you talking about? The only mildly annoying thing is that my fps on 2nd display slightly drop(for like 2sec) while iam on loading screen on main monitor. (i believe its caused by gsync going crazy when fps reach triple digits on main screen)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I have a 6-7 year old 1080p 27" monitor thats my side monitor, bought a 1080p 144hz main monitor late last year. The game runs perfectly fine, and when my side monitor is the active monitor, wow drops to 30 fps since it's not the main draw of my system at the time. You can turn this off, but I dont need 130+ fps when i'm not actively using that window
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

Quote Originally Posted by phantomlink View Post
    I have a 6-7 year old 1080p 27" monitor thats my side monitor, bought a 1080p 144hz main monitor late last year. The game runs perfectly fine, and when my side monitor is the active monitor, wow drops to 30 fps since it's not the main draw of my system at the time. You can turn this off, but I dont need 130+ fps when i'm not actively using that window
    Yea, it runs on 60 Hz for both monitors when there's anything that's using the GPU on the second monitor (could be a browser) in your case.

EDIT: My monitor setup is in the sig.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2020-08-02 at 12:44 PM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

/sigh, the misinformation is strong in this one.

Ram doesn't do what some of you think it does. 16gb is more than enough for what hes doing. You generally only go above that if you are doing RAM heavy tasks, Virtual Machines, Photo/Video editing, Music production, Autocad, solidworks ect.

for gaming going from 16gb to 32 a MOST game's wouldn't even notice.. shit you could go to 100 and a most game wouldn't notice for the most part. You are always going to have a few that use more but you could probably count them on one hand and most of them are shit games. ARK: Survival Evolved and Star citizen being a EXTREME exception cases due to poor coding.
    Last edited by Moozart; 2020-08-02 at 01:12 PM.

I mean, 16GB is more than enough but there's no harm with maxing it out tbh. Saves a job in the future.

Can you list your current setup?

You must love throwing away money then. If you just game, then anything over 8 is basically pointless
    This hasn't been true for like 5 years now, or more. I wish people would just stop regurgitating that.

Especially if your fav game is something like WoW that you probably keep open alongside tens of browser windows with wowhead, youtube, twitch etc. and sometimes multiple other applications. "You don't need more than 8GB of ram for gaming" is maybe true if you're the type of casual single player gamer who launches absolutely nothing on their PC than Steam and then their game of choice. That's not how you play MMOs, and that's not how you multitask on a PC. He also specifically mentioned he wants a setup with 2 monitors, which clearly suggests that websites and potentially streaming will be going on at the same time as wow.

So yes, get 16GB of ram at the minimum, but probably 24GB or 32GB would be preferable for future proofing.

When looking at how much ram you want, you don't look at the requirements of a game. You think what the actual memory requirement will be for everything running simultaneously on your pc, including the game.

PS. As a real life example, I have 24GB in my rig that I built like 3 years ago now. During a downtime (web browser, discord, steam, wow, potentially some other game afk) it needs about 12-14 gb on average. If I actually open more stuff and watch stuff, it jumps to 16-17.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2020-08-02 at 05:17 PM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    This hasn't been true for like 5 years now, or more. I wish people would just stop regurgitating that.

Especially if your fav game is something like WoW that you probably keep open alongside tens of browser windows with wowhead, youtube, twitch etc. and sometimes multiple other applications. "You don't need more than 8GB of ram for gaming" is maybe true if you're the type of casual single player gamer who launches absolutely nothing on their PC than Steam and then their game of choice. That's not how you play MMOs, and that's not how you multitask on a PC. He also specifically mentioned he wants a setup with 2 monitors, which clearly suggests that websites and potentially streaming will be going on at the same time as wow.

So yes, get 16GB of ram at the minimum, but probably 24GB or 32GB would be preferable for future proofing.

When looking at how much ram you want, you don't look at the requirements of a game. You think what the actual memory requirement will be for everything running simultaneously on your pc, including the game.

PS. As a real life example, I have 24GB in my rig that I built like 3 years ago now. During a downtime (web browser, discord, steam, wow, potentially some other game afk) it needs about 12-14 gb on average. If I actually open more stuff and watch stuff, it jumps to 16-17.
    Stop misinforming people... You don't need anymore than 16GB of ram. I have WoW open + 2 tab of chrome and some other programs (malwarebytes, Logitech g hub, discord) and I'm only using 45% of my ram.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTjc View Post
    Stop misinforming people... You don't need anymore than 16GB of ram. I have WoW open + 2 tab of chrome and some other programs (malwarebytes, Logitech g hub, discord) and I'm only using 45% of my ram.
    Cool story bro.

This is my memory usage at the moment. It almost hits 16gb, which would be the max if I only had 16gb.

WoW afking at Will of N'zoth spawn
    Playing another game on the other screen
    Chrome with wow-related pages + guides for the other game
    Twitch streaming at 1080p
    Excel sheet for my work
    Discord
    Couple other irrelevant things like windows system tools, background processes, anti malware etc.

It's not hard to imagine a situation where I want to quickly jump on my sofa to chill while watching some random tv show/anime/movie, without shutting everything down, because it takes ages. That easily pushes me above 16. Or even just going to a stream at 4k not 1080 as stated above.

Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

16 is the norm right now and you barely go over 12. 16 gives enough headroom right now.

Unless, of course, you use editing software daily. Only then 32 or more is necessary.

32 and above without the actual need for it is just a flex.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool story bro.

This is my memory usage at the moment. It almost hits 16gb, which would be the max if I only had 16gb.

Excel sheet for my work
    Discord
    Couple other irrelevant things like windows system tools, background processes, anti malware etc.

It's not hard to imagine a situation where I want to quickly jump on my sofa to chill while watching some random tv show/anime/movie, without shutting everything down, because it takes ages. That easily pushes me above 16. Or even just going to a stream at 4k not 1080 as stated above.

Jesus dude, you got too much unneeded crap running. Why?

Cool story bro.

Yes, and? Having all your RAM committed is only an issue if you have to rapidly swap info in and out of RAM because of it.

Excel sheet for my work
    Discord

It's not hard to imagine a situation where I want to quickly jump on my sofa to chill while watching some random tv show/anime/movie, without shutting everything down, because it takes ages. That easily pushes me above 16.
    Its almost like you could just shut down the Excel sheet, NOT be Streaming on Twitch while playing TWO games, AND watching TV. And "shutting things down" does not take ages. If it does, you have issues somewhere else. Or your RAM is bad.

Want to jump to your couch and watch a movie? Get a Shield TV. Its a way better investment.

Or even just going to a stream at 4k not 1080 as stated above.

You cant stream at 4k. No streaming service gives you that much upload. Twitch caps at like 6Gb/sec, which is barely enough for 1080p/60.

You aren't going to be streaming in 4k, and even if you are, for no reason, no one is watching you in 4k. I mean, lets be honest, no one is watching you anyway. And if for whatever reason people are, you'd get a lot more mileage out of simply building a dedicated streaming rig, because if you try to stream in 4k, your CPU is going to choke on it and your game performance will dive.

- - - Updated - - -

Might want to take your own advice, then, kiddo.

Its almost like GN, Jay, Paul, LTT, and (blech) Hardware Unboxed have ALL done videos and testing on this topic within the last year. GN does an in-depth look at "how much RAM do you need" every year, with video and web article. If you're just gaming, and even gaming + a few tabs and Discord, 8GB is plenty. The performance difference between 8GB and 16GB in that situation is zero. Even with lots of tabs, Chrome just starts dumping and caching tabs. Performance isn't affected. Its not like Discord takes loads of RAM. Its taking up all of 300MB on my Mac right now.

I mean, when you use your computer like a tech illiterate fool, then, yeah, i guess you might need more RAM. Or, you know, you could not do that.

You seem incapable of understanding that your anecdotal experience isnt remotely the norm.

Also, those Chrome tabs? Theyre only occupying RAM because the RAM is free for them to do so. The moment your computer needs to make space, itll cache the pages and dump them out of RAM - just like it does on RAM-limited devices like Chromebooks (most, at least), Tablets, and Phones.

As a personal anecdote - i never use more than about 9GB on my gaming PC. And thats playing the most RAM intensive games. Mind, nothing else is open - i have a daily driver MacBook Pro that i run VOIP, browsing, etc on. 30+ Chrome tabs open, 5+ tabs in Opera (logged in with a different Google Account, easier than trying to manage multiple accounts in Chrome), 5+ of those tabs are YouTube videos at any given time (my watch queue, as it were), Discord, et al.

the Mac (even though it has 16GB of RAM) rarely ever breaks 7GB. And thats with all those tabs sitting in RAM.

So well just have to agree that you have no idea what you're talking about and no one should take your advice on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    The only exception here would be. If you can afford 32gb fairly easily, you might want to consider it as a future proofing measure. Next gen is coming, and there is going to be an enormous jump in capability, game devs will push the mark out more than ever before, 32gb of RAM will be useful no matter what anyone here may say. That said, games like WoW will not be affected as much.

And I know I can say that with 100% confidence because im a game dev working on a very high end next gen title, so if you wont take it from me, then you're stuffed hahaha.
    Appeal to Authority Logical Fallacy combined with an inability to do math.

Both Next Gen consoles have 16GB of SHARED memory (mind you, IIRC, both are using GDDR6 as the shared memory, so its a lot faster than the DDR4 used in PCs for the system RAM).

So.. yeah.

Nothing made for Next Gen is going to require more than 16GB of RAM. It literally CANT... since that is all there is available on those systems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool story bro.

Excel sheet for my work
    Discord

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5FmiOxI.png[IMG]
    Okay, so while playing 2 games, have a bunch of tabs in Chrome, are streaming, doing work, and talking with friends.. You still can't cap 16?

So why should anyone go for more than 16 again? Because almost no one does all of that.

As for jumping on the TV.. Why is your PC also hooked up to that? Why not a chromecast, a HTPC, or a console? And you can't stream at 4k on Twitch. They just don't give you enough bandwidth to do it well. Most professional streamers don't even stream at 1080p, they stream at 900p60 since that's all you can actually do before bottlenecking on the bandwidth

And if shutting everything down and starting it up takes ages.. Might I suggest an SSD?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    Nothing made for next gen is going to require more than 16GB of RAM. It Literally CANT =/ UTTERLY FALSE. We're talking about PC here and in 1-2 years time there are going to be PC games that 16gb is the MINIMUM for ideal settings.
    There are games that exist right now that recommend 32gb of RAM. Doesn't mean they actually need that much. Besides, as has been said by others, games currently don't run very differently on 8gb of RAM than on 16gb, so you're saying that in 1-2 years that requirement will double? Seems unrealistic.

Bit of advice keyboard warrior. Think about what you're going to say before you say it and dont try to insult someone to win an argument or you look like a flat out idiot.

If you think my appeal to authority is a fallacy then it just proves how little logic you have. Imagine trying to claim a doctor dosent know what they're talking about when they post on a medical forum and accusing them of appealing to authority. Grow up, I know what im talking about better than you, clearly, as someone who spends every single day working on a next gen title.
    I think it's fucking hilarious how you say he's insulting you, and then you go ahead and say this.

15+ Year Old Account
    I see this thread quickly derailed - so a bit ontopic for OP - I would suggest AMD Ryzen 5 3600(X if you plan to overclock) or 7 if you can afford it and for GPU something with support of RTX since it Shadowlands might be supporting it. I am personally waiting for next gen of Nvidia cards which should come late this year or next year but 2070(S) should do you also good job. Again depends on your budget.