10+ Year Old Account
    As Trump demand public schools reopen, Barron Trump’s private schools will not be opening.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    As Trump demand public schools reopen, Barron Trump’s private schools will not be opening.
    And got PPP loans out of the ass.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Dallas County has had a steady decrease for the last week. No idea if its legit or a result of the data being "massaged" by the HHS, but Jenkins is a straight shooter who has always been on the ball regarding covid info so if he isnt sounding alarms about data reliabiliy, might be legit.

Which would mean Dallas maaaaay be past the peak.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/william.../#2b36de4419fd

I swear COVID19 is sentient and just fucking with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post

Anyone who has spent significant time around kids knows they spread illness like wildfire.
    every other year we have an 'extended' winter break because of a flu outbreak in the district....ya this year should be fineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I really don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people.
    This conversation was simultaneously sad and funny to read. Gaidax was trying to explain to you that you should care about other people. Those still alive.

I'll repeat my words from months ago, this time in full seriousness: this coming generation of USA citizens will be called a generation of paupers. Remember that BRICS abbreviation? China moved a league up, South Africa moved a league down, and now USA is in the process of being demoted there. BRIU. URIB sounds better?

There is no "reasonable compromise between healthcare and welfare" possible in a country that has a medical industry instead of healthcare. Your choice will be either half a million dead or 330 million living in a third world country. Or, possibly, both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    This conversation was simultaneously sad and funny to read. Gaidax was trying to explain to you that you should care about other people. Those still alive.

I'll repeat my words from months ago, this time in full seriousness: this coming generation of USA citizens will be called a generation of paupers. Remember that BRICS abbreviation? China moved a league up, South Africa moved a league down, and now USA is in the process of being demoted there. BRIU. URIB sounds better?

There is no "reasonable compromise between healthcare and welfare" possible in a country that has a medical industry instead of healthcare. Your choice will be either half a million dead or 330 million living in a third world country. Or, possibly, both.
    Brazil has also moved down a league, and India has hugely under performed in so many ways. Russia has maintained it strengths (weaknesses?) and China has over performed. Not exactly the result that the US was going for.

On second thought, the downgrading of India, Brazil, and South Africa MIGHT be considered desirable by the US. Keeps us in charge. But when combined with China's rise, and our own fall, well I'm rooting for the EU to fill as much of the power vacuum of the US (and BIS) falling as possible.

On a practical note, China and the US are enemies to the end. China really is decoupling their economy from the US, especially in hi tech. They are now 100% creating their own chips going forward, for example. There are many others. China knows we hate their guts, and is acting accordingly.

For the US? Well Intel is outsourcing its chip production to Taiwan, and the US is quite pleased by how much agricultural products (especially corn) that China bought from the US. The exact opposite of decoupling and self-sufficiency. Basically our hatred of them is purely for show, and is a distraction when the last thing we need is more distractions.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-08-04 at 05:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post

Again, this is entirely a function of greedy shits and people who think their opinion should carry as much weight as the, like...actual experts.

Just gonna say that what y’all advocate really has some serious decadent collapsing empire vibes in the vein of tying people to the land or locking people into professions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by wokforth View Post
    You're incapable of having any sort of conversation without politicising it and screaming at each other.
    All that is trumped by one key factor: Pandemic. There is no political agenda there. If there is, its from the people whining and screaming about how schools should open despite the fact that we are in the middle of a pandemic that will only get worse the more we open up. Its not rocket science. Its not political. Its not a matter of If. Its a matter of fact that it Will get worse and it Will be putting our youth in danger. Even more so when you add to it that there is more and more emerging evidence that this could have lasting damage to the brain.

I can counter your list easily at every point.
    Interrupted learning - not if you learn from home or through the internet.
    Poor nutrition - This is a MUCH bigger problem than schools being open or closed.
    Confusion and stress for teachers - More so because the teachers now its Not Safe to resume in a pandemic.
    Parents unprepared for distance and home schooling - Then we prepare them. They are more so prepared now than if they suddenly have to start it again.
    Challenges creating, maintaining, and improving distance learning - Wrong. Flat out wrong. necessity is the mother of invention isn't just a saying.
    Gaps in childcare - We already have that with or without schools open. I had multiple friends who were left home alone for hours after school starting nearly at age 5.
    High economic costs - Moot point when the pandemic will cause more damage and economic costs due to the inevitable spike in cases.
    Unintended strain on health-care systems - Just lawl. Sending kids to school will cause more stress than keeping them home due to a spike in cases.
    Increased pressure on schools and school systems that remain open - There is pressure to remain closed to. Not a argument to open schools.
    Rise in dropout rates - conjecture at best with no verifiable way to prove it.
    Increased exposure to violence and exploitation - again, just law. This is grasping at straws and has no basis in reality.
    Social isolation - bs. The internet keeps us more connected than ever before.
    Challenges measuring and validating learning - we already have this. They already fail to properly measure or validate learning.

So yeah, nice list of junk and poor excuses that fall short of any type of meaningful argument for opening schools. We have already begun to see the damage opening them can do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

Children can still spread Covid-19? Shocking! Who would have guessed? Oh yeah, anyone with a brain. Yet they want to open up schools. Its essentially going to be 1 adult trying to get 15-30 kids to wear their masks, not fidget with them and to keep them on at all times. Its not going to go well. Not to mention the drastic increase to test result times we are going to see as schools try to regularly test its student body and staff members.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ve-or-n1235641

Someone tell me why Americans still worship the rich and follow their every word? The rich who have no problem throwing the average citizen and their children into the woodchipper so they can, "but look at those job numbers!!!".

But the kids need an education. EXACTLY. But they can't get an education when the institution of public America is crippled because too many teachers are sick or God forbid dead. When parents are too sick to care for their kids or go work. When those kids get sick and I don't even want to go down that route.

The American public school system is not ready to go back into traditional classrooms.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ve-or-n1235641

Someone tell me why Americans still worship the rich and follow their every word? The rich who have no problem throwing the average citizen and their children into the woodchipper so they can, "but look at those job numbers!!!".

But the kids need an education. EXACTLY. But they can't get an education when the institution of public America is crippled because too many teachers are sick or God forbid dead. When parents are too sick to care for their kids or go work. When those kids get sick and I don't even want to go down that route.

The American public school system is not ready to go back into traditional classrooms.
    Because there are no poor people in the US, only temporarily embarrassed millionaires.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account

It's due to the relative new discovery on how it is spread through micro-droplets, what means people that shout and scream, generally how kids communicate become "super spreaders".

It's why here we are looking at open schools in parts, not all ages at once, splitting classes in two and so forth so it doesn't spill over to the parents but it also doesn't put the burden of watching the kids on the grand parents.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    You know what, I'm starting to think that this Covid situation in USA is actually a master stroke of their ruling class. About as morally grey as BFA Sylvanas, but accomplishes their goals beautifully - when this is over, tens of millions will fill the niche currently occupied by illegal immigrants. No need for the wall, pandemic will do the job! :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    <video of a 74-year-old toddler explaining policies>

How can people still take this mongoloid seriously? He doesn't give two shits about American lives during a fucking pandemic.

Here's one of the more mindboggling parts
    https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/stat...429289473?s=20
    Because about half the country (way more at times) does not give a shit about American lives as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/04/nova...age-trial.html

Stock tanks 32%

How do you have both "no serious" adverse events and 8 people hospitalized out of 131 with 25 placebo patients.

required two shots over 21 days, yikes.

Guess all these lottery bets on all these companies is starting to pan out badly for some.

Novavax said the vaccine was well tolerated with no serious adverse events reported. Most patients reported tenderness and pain at the injection after the first dose, with some patients also reporting headaches, fatigue or muscle aches. Only one participant in the trial experienced a mild fever after a second dose, the company said. Eight patients had reactions that required hospitalizations, though they were resolved after a few days
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    You aren't making a good case for The US opening it's schools.
    Based on recent experience it seems certain that US will mess it up - regardless of whether schools are opened or not; or whether the current patch-work continues.
    And that UK in the choice between closing pubs or schools, assuming either could stop the spread, will choose schools to not annoy businesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/04/nova...age-trial.html

Stock tanks 32%

How do you have both "no serious" adverse events and 8 people hospitalized out of 131 with 25 placebo patients.

required two shots over 21 days, yikes.

Guess all these lottery bets on all these companies is starting to pan out badly for some.

Novavax said the vaccine was well tolerated with no serious adverse events reported. Most patients reported tenderness and pain at the injection after the first dose, with some patients also reporting headaches, fatigue or muscle aches. Only one participant in the trial experienced a mild fever after a second dose, the company said. Eight patients had reactions that required hospitalizations, though they were resolved after a few days
    The article has been amended:
    Novavax said the vaccine was well tolerated with no serious adverse events reported. Most patients reported tenderness and pain at the injection after the first dose, with some patients also reporting headaches, fatigue or muscle aches. Only one participant in the trial experienced a mild fever after a second dose, the company said. Earlier media reports and analysts cited eight possible hospitalizations related to the study, but the company said no patients involved with the study were hospitalized.

Shares of the company were down as much as 32% in after-hours trading before later recovering.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    The article has been amended:
    ah that at least clears it up a little.

damn poor people got screwed if they had a limit down on that stock because of a bad press release/report.

though those people who brought on the drop cha ching
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

The result of that study isn't that clear, and the relevance for schools are even less clear.

First and foremost it was done in Italy during the complete lockdown, so schools were closed, and the hyped result is based on just 14 children age 0-14 as few children were seen as infected (there were 14 index cases for age 0-14 compared 477 for age 50-64; I didn't see any explanation for why older people were 30 times more likely to be infected at the start). And if we look at secondary cases (that primarily are among households with long contacts) children are also less likely to become infected.

A plausible explanation is that they missed lightly infected children, and got this conclusion that is a good scary click-bait. Or as one comment on the article says: children were responsible for 1.27% of the spread of the disease (11 of 890 cases).

And every infected child still infected less than one other person on average.

An odd issue in the study is that it spread more to work colleagues than to people you cohabit with; and only slightly less to contacts that were neither. Obviously work-places are a major concern - but that seems almost too much.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-08-04 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Based on recent experience it seems certain that US will mess it up - regardless of whether schools are opened or not; or whether the current patch-work continues.
    And that UK in the choice between closing pubs or schools, assuming either could stop the spread, will choose schools to not annoy businesses.
    As I said...not a good case to re-open schools. The only way schools should be re-opened is if it can be made safe to do so...and as you've just said:

Based on recent experience it seems certain that US will mess it up
    The only schools that should reopen are ones that are in an area that has had a few weeks without new corona cases being reported...and even then...they need to be careful on how they do it. Just because an area hasn't reported any new cases...it doesn't mean that corona is gone.