Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    My GTX 650 was running WoW at 2k resolution. It was laughably bad to play, but it functioned. Needless to say, WoW doesn't need much in the GPU department, keep that in mind when you start looking at GDDR5, GDDR6, 8VRAM vs 4VRAM. For WoW, those things really don't matter.

Did you mean Diablo 4 on Ultra? I'd be more worried about CPU with that one. But D3 is fine, it really isn't a texture heavy game.
    Last edited by msdos; 2020-08-04 at 10:55 PM.

Dont buy a GTX 1650 Super. Its garbage.

Buy a GTX 1660 Super for about 230 USD or a RX590 for about 200 USD or a 5500XT for about 180 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    My GTX 650 was running WoW at 2k resolution. It was laughably bad to play, but it functioned. Needless to say, WoW doesn't need much in the GPU department, keep that in mind when you start looking at GDDR5, GDDR6, 8VRAM vs 4VRAM. For WoW, those things really don't matter.

Did you mean Diablo 4 on Ultra? I'd be more worried about CPU with that one. But D3 is fine, it really isn't a texture heavy game.
    Diablo 4 is loooong way away lol. I won't worry about it that much for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post

Buy a GTX 1660 Super for about 230 USD or a RX590 for about 200 USD or a 5500XT for about 180 USD.
    Why would you say that? Is there something bad about the GTX 1650 Super that I don't know about? I do need a video card that performs at least or close to twice as much as the GTX 1050 Ti I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaebryel Quintyne View Post
    Diablo 4 is loooong way away lol. I won't worry about it that much for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you say that? Is there something bad about the GTX 1650 Super that I don't know about? I do need a video card that performs at least or close to twice as much as the GTX 1050 Ti I have.
    There's nothing bad about it other than it not necessarily being great price/performance compared to other options. (But its also just fine unless you want to bargain hunt).

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

These are synthetic benchmarks, and IRL performance will vary from game to game, but its a pretty good general comparative. This is pretty much everything near your price range.

GTX 1050Ti - 6431 (your current GPU)

RX 570 - 6967 (129$, frequently cheaper - dont be afraid to buy refurb)
    RX 580 - 7753 (149$, often cheaper/on sale - dont be afraid to buy refurb)
    RX 590 - 9430 (209$) - this is just a factory OCed 580; you can easily OC a 580 to this.
    RX 5500 XT - 8993 (179$)
    RX 5600 XT - 13009 (269$)

GTX 1650 - 7895 (159$)
    GTX 1650 SUPER - 9890 (169$)
    GTX 1660 - 11371 (209$)
    GTX 1660 SUPER - 12705 (229$)
    GTX 1660 Ti - 12803 (279$)

Your best bets for price/performance are a refurb RX 580 (get a good 2 or 3 fan design, and OC it to 590 clocks) - usually about 139$ or so.
    You can spend just a little more (179$) to get the 5500 XT to get roughly the same performance without having to overclock it.

On the nVidia end, the GTX 1650 is roughly identical to the OCed 580 or 5500XT, but is also the same price as the 5500 XT and more expensive than an RX 580.

If you can afford it, the 1660 (non-SUPER) is probably youor best bet. You get close to 1660 SUPER performance (about 10% different), close to the 5600XT (slower, but also 60$ cheaper).

In your shoes, i'd save my pennies and get a 1660 or 1660 SUPER. Itll last longer than the 1650 SUPER... mostly.

What i'd ACTUALLY do is get an RX 570 (can get a refurb or used on Facebook Market for ~100 or less) which is perfectly capable of 1080p gaming... and then i'd wait and see what the 3000-series cards are like from nVidia and the eventual refresh with RDNA2 cards from AMD towards the end of the year, and THEN spring on a new card in the ~200$ range. Yeah, youll be out of pocket a little more in total, but the liklihood that a 1750/Ti or 1760 (assuming they kick up the non-RTX cards by 1 digit) will cost about the same (200$ish) and be 30% faster is quite good...

And, as you're discovering, its always good to have a spare GPU around, so you could hold on to that old 570 for a spare/diagnosis tool.

If you absolutely just want to buy RIGHT NAO and not worry about it later... 1660 or 1660 SUPER is your best bet. Avoid the 1660 Ti and RX 5600 XT like the plague. They are so close to the 300$ price point of a 2060 or RX 5700 and perform so much worse, they aren't worth considering. If you're going to spend out 280.... might as well spend out 300$ and get a 2060 or 5700.

RTX 2060 - 14732 (normally ~300, but Best Buy has this one on sale for 265$-!! https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zpr...cg20606sfppb-o)

RX 5700 - 14201 - (309$)

TL-DR -

If you MUST BUY NAO and do not want to buy a low end floater card and wait for 3000 series lower end cards and RDNA2 lower end cards, then:

Buy a GTX 1660 or SUPER, or maybe an RX 5500 XT

OR, if you can stretch, that 265$ 2060 that Best Buy has right now.... jump on that. Thats a great deal.

If you CAN deal with buying a placeholder GPU, grab a refurb RX 570, then wait until late this year/early next year for RDNA2 and GTx 17XX/RTX 3000 series lower end cards to hit (the high end cards will hit this year, but the lower end SKUs will probably be Dec/Jan).
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-08-05 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    There's nothing bad about it other than it not necessarily being great price/performance compared to other options. (But its also just fine unless you want to bargain hunt).

These are synthetic benchmarks, and IRL performance will vary from game to game, but its a pretty good general comparative. This is pretty much everything near your price range.

RX 590 - 9430 (209$) - this is just a factory OCed 580; you can easily OC a 580 to this.
    RX 5500 XT - 8993 (179$)

GTX 1650 - 7895 (159$)
    GTX 1660 - 11371 (209$)

Your best bets for price/performance are a refurb RX 580 (get a good 2 or 3 fan design, and OC it to 590 clocks) - usually about 139$ or so.
    You can spend just a little more (179$) to get the 5500 XT to get roughly the same performance without having to overclock it.

On the nVidia end, the GTX 1650 is roughly identical to the OCed 580 or 5500XT, but is also the same price as the 5500 XT and more expensive than an RX 580.

If you can afford it, the 1660 (non-SUPER) is probably youor best bet. You get close to 1660 SUPER performance (about 10% different), close to the 5600XT (slower, but also 60$ cheaper).

In your shoes, i'd save my pennies and get a 1660 or 1660 SUPER. Itll last longer than the 1650 SUPER... mostly.

What i'd ACTUALLY do is get an RX 570 (can get a refurb or used on Facebook Market for ~100 or less) which is perfectly capable of 1080p gaming... and then i'd wait and see what the 3000-series cards are like from nVidia and the eventual refresh with RDNA2 cards from AMD towards the end of the year, and THEN spring on a new card in the ~200$ range. Yeah, youll be out of pocket a little more in total, but the liklihood that a 1750/Ti or 1760 (assuming they kick up the non-RTX cards by 1 digit) will cost about the same (200$ish) and be 30% faster is quite good...

And, as you're discovering, its always good to have a spare GPU around, so you could hold on to that old 570 for a spare/diagnosis tool.

If you absolutely just want to buy RIGHT NAO and not worry about it later... 1660 or 1660 SUPER is your best bet. Avoid the 1660 Ti and RX 5600 XT like the plague. They are so close to the 300$ price point of a 2060 or RX 5700 and perform so much worse, they aren't worth considering. If you're going to spend out 280.... might as well spend out 300$ and get a 2060 or 5700.

RTX 2060 - 14732 (normally ~300, but Best Buy has this one on sale for 265$-!! https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Zpr...cg20606sfppb-o)

RX 5700 - 14201 - (309$)

TL-DR -

If you MUST BUY NAO and do not want to buy a low end floater card and wait for 3000 series lower end cards and RDNA2 lower end cards, then:

Buy a GTX 1660 or SUPER, or maybe an RX 5500 XT

OR, if you can stretch, that 265$ 2060 that Best Buy has right now.... jump on that. Thats a great deal.

If you CAN deal with buying a placeholder GPU, grab a refurb RX 570, then wait until late this year/early next year for RDNA2 and GTx 17XX/RTX 3000 series lower end cards to hit (the high end cards will hit this year, but the lower end SKUs will probably be Dec/Jan).
    Wow, you gave me a lot to think about. Thank you for all the advice.

I would prefer to buy a video card right now, and not buy any later until maybe 3 or 4 years down the line.

I am leaning towards the GTX 1660 or the GTX 1660 SUPER. If the price range is similar, I would consider the RTX 2060 (By the way, the Best Buy one is sold out and I think that's the USD price). I am gonna shop around for these 3 and see which one is in my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nobody thought to recommend checking connections with the old card after cleaning out the system? Cleaning out dust doesn’t damage modern components...
    What do you mean by this? Like are you talking about "re-seating" the video card (Taking it out and then putting it back in)?

I have decided on this one:

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1660
    https://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-192-bi...tronics&sr=1-2

One problem though, which I almost didn't see and overlooked... the connections at the back, I don't see a DVI-D port where I would connect the monitor. The DVI-D cable also has 2 screws on the side of it to secure it into the port of the video card in the back and I don't see any spot where the screws would go in. Would I need to get a different cable to connect my monitor to it? Which cable should I get?

EDIT:

Oh, also, I was reading online regarding this video card that I need to connect this graphic card to the PSU. Does my PSU have that cable? Does my current GTX 1050 Ti have to be connected to the PSU as well 'cause it isn't right now? Like there's nowhere to put the cable in the graphics card inside the computer. It's just connected into the motherboard. I don't even know if the PSU has that cable to connect to the video card in the first place. What does it look like? Maybe 'cause GTX 1050 Ti is not connected to the PSU is why I have been getting errors since I installed Windows 10... 'cause Windows 10 uses different hardware in different ways than Windows 7 used to. I don't know why I didn't think about this before now...
    Last edited by Gaebryel Quintyne; 2020-08-05 at 05:27 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean by this? Like are you talking about "re-seating" the video card (Taking it out and then putting it back in)?

One problem though, which I almost didn't see and overlooked... the connections at the back, I don't see a DVI-D port where I would connect the monitor. The DVI-D cable also has 2 screws on the side of it to secure it into the port of the video card in the back and I don't see any spot where the screws would go in. Would I need to get a different cable to connect my monitor to it? Which cable should I get?
    What inputs does your monitor have on it?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What inputs does your monitor have on it?
    I just checked and it has a HDMI input, a DVI input, a VOA input and a headphone input.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post

RX590 is garbage, 5500XT is garbage, 1660 Super doesnt fit his budget.

- - - Updated - - -

So the heatsink, is it like the heatsink in CPUs, like coiled copper things? It distributes the heat that generates when it is in use so it doesn't get too hot and burn out... I read that recently. How would I find out if the heatsink size is smaller in the smaller card than the regular cards? Are you saying that a smaller heatsink size would not be ideal since there is less... "surface area" I guess that needs to be cooled down, if that makes sense?
    Heatsink is the aluminum/copper thing that removed the heat from the stuff that's getting hot and makes it easier for the fan(s) to dissipate it. It's very similar to CPU tower coolers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nobody thought to recommend checking connections with the old card after cleaning out the system? Cleaning out dust doesn’t damage modern components...
    Read the first reply.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Just use an HDMI cable, if your monitor has an HDMI port.

You can get decent cables for like 5$ US.

Dont worry about gold-plated or any of that nonsense. Its a digital connection, not analog. It either works, or it doesnt.

1660 (non-Super) is really close to 1650 Super in performance, imo the price difference is not worth it. Although the choice is ultimately yours.

HDMI. At least HDMI 1.4 compliant.

EDIT:

Oh, also, I was reading online regarding this video card that I need to connect this graphic card to the PSU. Does my PSU have that cable? Does my current GTX 1050 Ti have to be connected to the PSU as well 'cause it isn't right now? Like there's nowhere to put the cable in the graphics card inside the computer. It's just connected into the motherboard. I don't even know if the PSU has that cable to connect to the video card in the first place. What does it look like? Maybe 'cause GTX 1050 Ti is not connected to the PSU is why I have been getting errors since I installed Windows 10... 'cause Windows 10 uses different hardware in different ways than Windows 7 used to. I don't know why I didn't think about this before now...
    Most PSUs have that cable.

This is how it looks like. It could be 6 pin, 8 pin or 6 pin with an optional 2 pin addin. No, your 1050Ti doesnt have to be connected. GPUs can pull up to 75W of power through the PCIe slot in the motherboard, so the GPUs that dont exceed that power draw dont need that connector. Now there can be variations between the cards with the same chip in those connectors because things like RGB lighting or preoverclock can increase those power number but I doubt that's the case with your GPU. Also, on most cards that have the power connector connecting it is not optional since the GPU just wont work without it. Power delivery is usually routed in the way to balance the load between PCIe slot and the PCIe power connector, so some stuff is connected to the slot and some to the power connector, and you obviously need all of it working for the GPU to function.

EDIT: 1650 Super pulls 75W of power so most of them wont have the connector. Everything upwards will.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2020-08-05 at 06:22 AM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Just use an HDMI cable, if your monitor has an HDMI port.

You can get decent cables for like 5$ US.

Dont worry about gold-plated or any of that nonsense. Its a digital connection, not analog. It either works, or it doesnt.
    Ah ok. Where do I buy them from or it doesn't matter really? Just buy the cheapest one there since they are all mostly the same, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    1660 (non-Super) is really close to 1650 Super in performance, imo the price difference is not worth it. Although the choice is ultimately yours.

HDMI. At least HDMI 1.4 compliant.

Most PSUs have that cable.

This is how it looks like. It could be 6 pin, 8 pin or 6 pin with an optional 2 pin addin. No, your 1050Ti doesnt have to be connected. GPUs can pull up to 75W of power through the PCIe slot in the motherboard, so the GPUs that dont exceed that power draw dont need that connector. Now there can be variations between the cards with the same chip in those connectors because things like RGB lighting or preoverclock can increase those power number but I doubt that's the case with your GPU. Also, on most cards that have the power connector connecting it is not optional since the GPU just wont work without it. Power delivery is usually routed in the way to balance the load between PCIe slot and the PCIe power connector, so some stuff is connected to the slot and some to the power connector, and you obviously need all of it working for the GPU to function.

EDIT: 1650 Super pulls 75W of power so most of them wont have the connector. Everything upwards will.
    I thought you mentioned in your previous post that I should get a 1660 if I need to buy a video card right now. I mean you mentioned both 1660 and 1660 Super. I chose the 1660 non-super because it is a bit cheaper and it can be delivered to me sooner than the 1660 Super one that I had found. Here is the link to the 1660 Super:
    https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Geforce-19...ag=googcana-20
    It will come in stock by August 11 and then it will take a couple of days to get delivered so I am looking at August 15 or 16 to receive my new video card... That's quite bit of time for me to wait until I can properly play my games crash-free.
    Are you saying that if I am looking at getting a 1660 since it's at my max budget, I would be better off getting the 1650 Super?

I checked my current video card by taking it completely out and used a flashlight to see if I could see any power connector slot but I did not find any (I also put it into a different PCIe slot on my motherboard). I know the 1660 I mentioned has a 8-pin PCIe power connector on the side. And I also checked my PSU and actually saw a few power connector cables but I only see 2-pin and 6-pin ones. Do I need to get like an adapter power connector that will change the 6-pin into a 8 pin?

EDIT:

So I found a GTX 1650 Super, which is cheaper than the GTX 1660 by at least $50 and right in the middle of my budget. The great thing about this one is that it has a 6-pin PCIe power connector and I also have a 6-pin PCIe power connector cable from my PSU. This one also has dual link DVI port so I don't need to buy any other cable with this. This card does take 100 watts so I would need to connect the power connector which is fine since I have one attached to my PSU. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-128-Bi...tronics&sr=1-3

I am almost 90% decided on this unless there is something else to consider... I mean I have to decide on one of them at some point and stick with it. Otherwise it will take forever to make a decision lol.
    Last edited by Gaebryel Quintyne; 2020-08-05 at 07:41 AM.

Ah ok. Where do I buy them from or it doesn't matter really? Just buy the cheapest one there since they are all mostly the same, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought you mentioned in your previous post that I should get a 1660 if I need to buy a video card right now.
    That was me. I was, however, referencing USD pricing. Knowing that you're in Canadia, see below.

Are you saying that if I am looking at getting a 1660 since it's at my max budget, I would be better off getting the 1650 Super?
    Depends on the CAD$ price difference. Unlike Thunderdumb's claim (do yourself a favor, dont listen to him), its not "only a little faster" than the 1650 SUPER, its about 20% faster for 40$ extra USD.

The cheapest 1650 SUPER I see on the Canadian PCPartpicker is:
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...h-gtx1650s-o4g

Thats 220$ CAD.

The cheapest 1660 I see is:
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...660-o6g-gaming

Thats 289$ CAD

Stranger yet, the 1660 SUPER is not a lot more:
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...h-gtx1660s-o6g

That's only 315$ CAD.

I would say, if your choice is between 220$ for the 1650 SUPER and the 289$ for the 1660... the extra 20% isn't worth nearly 70$. However, if 315 isn't out of your budget, the 1660 SUPER is quite a bit better than the 1650 SUPER - about 35% better. And since that Zotac you linked is 305$ CAD.. i'd have to think the the ASUS 1660 SUPER i linked is within your budget.

man, are Canadian Rupee prices screwed up.

I checked my current video card by taking it completely out and used a flashlight to see if I could see any power connector slot but I did not find any (I also put it into a different PCIe slot on my motherboard). I know the 1660 I mentioned has a 8-pin PCIe power connector on the side. And I also checked my PSU and actually saw a few power connector cables but I only see 2-pin and 6-pin ones. Do I need to get like an adapter power connector that will change the 6-pin into a 8 pin?
    There's no such thing as a 2-pin connector. What you are seeing is a 6+2. The 2 pins are attached to the others by a much shorter cable, im assuming. If you look, you will see a spot on the side where they line up. Youll put them together like that (to make 8 pins) and use it that way.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-08-05 at 07:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

RX 5500 XT - 8993 (179$)

GTX 1650 - 7895 (159$)
    GTX 1660 - 11371 (209$)

Those scores are not a good benchmark for gaming performance. A 1650 for example is significantly slower than an RX 580 for gaming.

I would recommend Techpowerup's GPU database for quick comparisons as it's actually based on gaming performance across a wide range of games in their reviews. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...gtx-1650.c3366

Yea, at this price point they're really similar. Just make sure there are no obvious flaws.

I thought you mentioned in your previous post that I should get a 1660 if I need to buy a video card right now. I mean you mentioned both 1660 and 1660 Super. I chose the 1660 non-super because it is a bit cheaper and it can be delivered to me sooner than the 1660 Super one that I had found. Here is the link to the 1660 Super:
    https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Geforce-19...ag=googcana-20
    It will come in stock by August 11 and then it will take a couple of days to get delivered so I am looking at August 15 or 16 to receive my new video card... That's quite bit of time for me to wait until I can properly play my games crash-free.
    No, I just mentioned the 1650 Super. I would mention 1660 Super, but it was outside of the budget you specified so I didnt mention it. It's a good buy aswell if you're fine with the price. That particular version will do.

No, you should be fine if you connect the 6pin into an 8pin connector. Those 2 extra pins let your GPU know that you can pull more power through the slot, but that particular GPU doesnt really need that much power, so you're gonna be fine. I would suggest looking for a card with only a 6pin connector if you're uncomfortable.

EDIT:

So I found a GTX 1650 Super, which is cheaper than the GTX 1660 by at least $50 and right in the middle of my budget. The great thing about this one is that it has a 6-pin PCIe power connector and I also have a 6-pin PCIe power connector cable from my PSU. This one also has dual link DVI port so I don't need to buy any other cable with this. This card does take 100 watts so I would need to connect the power connector which is fine since I have one attached to my PSU. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.ca/GeForce-128-Bi...tronics&sr=1-3

I am almost 90% decided on this unless there is something else to consider... I mean I have to decide on one of them at some point and stick with it. Otherwise it will take forever to make a decision lol.
    Here's a breakdown for you, stuff you should consider:

- AMD cards you probably should pass on since it will require a PSU swap.
    - 1650 Super. It's a good card, but it's not going to last you 5 years.
    - 1660 non-Super is not worth considering since it's too close to 1650 Super in both price and performance. I think the performance increase is not worth the price increase.
    - 1660 Super. Here I think the performance increase is worth the price. It should also be relatively low power for your PSU to handle. I'm not sure if it's going to last 5 years, but it for sure has more chance than the 1650S.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2020-08-05 at 11:26 AM.

Yea, at this price point they're really similar. Just make sure there are no obvious flaws.

No, I just mentioned the 1650 Super. I would mention 1660 Super, but it was outside of the budget you specified so I didnt mention it. It's a good buy aswell if you're fine with the price. That particular version will do.

No, you should be fine if you connect the 6pin into an 8pin connector. Those 2 extra pins let your GPU know that you can pull more power through the slot, but that particular GPU doesnt really need that much power, so you're gonna be fine. I would suggest looking for a card with only a 6pin connector if you're uncomfortable.

Here's a breakdown for you, stuff you should consider:

- AMD cards you probably should pass on since it will require a PSU swap.
    - 1650 Super. It's a good card, but it's not going to last you 5 years.
    - 1660 non-Super is not worth considering since it's too close to 1650 Super in both price and performance. I think the performance increase is not worth the price increase.
    - 1660 Super. Here I think the performance increase is worth the price. It should also be relatively low power for your PSU to handle. I'm not sure if it's going to last 5 years, but it for sure has more chance than the 1650S.
    I did some more research on these cards. If I want to future-proof my computer in terms of the graphics card, then I would have to go with the 1660 Super because it has a few things more than the 1650s. The 1660 Super has 6 GB VRAM instead of the 4 GB VRAM on the 1650. The VRAM is GDDR6 on the 1660 Super compared to the GDDR5 on the 1650s. As you said also, the 1660 Super can last longer or have a better chance of lasting than the 1650s. As long as I can get out close to 4 years usage out of the graphics card, then that's good enough for me. I found the price to be more affordable on some different brands of 1660 Supers. The link I mentioned earlier for the MSI Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 Super: https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Geforce-19...07ZHDZ1K6?th=1
    Only costs around $329.99 CAN, $30 more than my budget and it's a discounted price. If I can get more bang for my bunk if I spend a little bit extra, then I am going to go for it. For delivery-wise, I can wait for a week or a bit more than a week and be patient if I could get a good-priced, future-proof video card than trying to be in a rush and get any card I can find delivered as soon as possible.

A few things I need to make sure of though...
    The power connectors for the MSI Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 Super. It's an 8-pin one, according to the specs for it? I can use a 6-pin and a 2-pin together to make it a 8-pin connector for it. Or should I get a 8-pin connector by getting one of those 6-pin to 8-pin molex adapter or whatever it is called?
    The power consumption. On the MSI website, it says that it takes 125 W and a 450 W PSU would suffice for it. I have a 650 W one so that should be alright.
    Fit and compatibility. Would this 1660 Super be able to fit into my computer? Would it also be compatible with my motherboard and CPU (I don't know if CPU is something to consider in terms of compatibility though)? It says it requires a PCI-e x16 3.0 slot. I think my motherboard has that, I think? I will measure the size in my computer to see if it can fit physically but I think it should fit into my computer case. Would there be any other compatibility issues with my computer and that video card?
    For the HDMI cable, I would need a HDMI 2.0b equivalent cable so it would work with my monitor?

The 1660 Super has 6 GB VRAM instead of the 4 GB VRAM on the 1650. The VRAM is GDDR6 on the 1660 Super compared to the GDDR5 on the 1650s.
    1650 Super has GDDR6. There is a separate 1650 non-Super version with GDDR6 memory aswell. GDDR5 production is winding down, prices go up and GDDR6 prices go down so even the budget cards have GDDR6 now. You're right on the VRAM size.

As you said also, the 1660 Super can last longer or have a better chance of lasting than the 1650s. As long as I can get out close to 4 years usage out of the graphics card, then that's good enough for me. I found the price to be more affordable on some different brands of 1660 Supers. The link I mentioned earlier for the MSI Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 Super: https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Geforce-19...07ZHDZ1K6?th=1
    Only costs around $329.99 CAN, $30 more than my budget and it's a discounted price. If I can get more bang for my bunk if I spend a little bit extra, then I am going to go for it. For delivery-wise, I can wait for a week or a bit more than a week and be patient if I could get a good-priced, future-proof video card than trying to be in a rush and get any card I can find delivered as soon as possible.
    Sure, makes sense.

A few things I need to make sure of though...
    The power connectors for the MSI Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 Super. It's an 8-pin one, according to the specs for it? I can use a 6-pin and a 2-pin together to make it a 8-pin connector for it. Or should I get a 8-pin connector by getting one of those 6-pin to 8-pin molex adapter or whatever it is called?
    2pin connectors dont come separately. They're attached to the 6pin part so you can connect into 8 or 6 pin connector with a single header. If you dont see it on your PSU when looking at a 6pin then you probably dont have them. It would help if you find out PSU model you have so it's easier to figure out. It should be on the sticker on PSU case.

The power consumption. On the MSI website, it says that it takes 125 W and a 450 W PSU would suffice for it. I have a 650 W one so that should be alright.
    Fit and compatibility. Would this 1660 Super be able to fit into my computer?
    I dont see why not. That card is 2 slot and pretty short. If you're not sure you can just check with the support list for you case.

Would it also be compatible with my motherboard and CPU (I don't know if CPU is something to consider in terms of compatibility though)? It says it requires a PCI-e x16 3.0 slot. I think my motherboard has that, I think? I will measure the size in my computer to see if it can fit physically but I think it should fit into my computer case. Would there be any other compatibility issues with my computer and that video card?
    If you have a CPU that's newer than AMD AM3 stuff or Intel Sandy Bridge (2nd gen, 2000 series) then your CPU supports gen3. In terms of motherboards Intel H-series chipsets until latest gen (H410/470) and with the exception of highend H-series chipsets (H170/270/370) do not support gen3. That doesnt mean the GPU wont run, since they standards are backwards compatible, it just could be slower, depending on how much bandwidth the GPU uses.

For the HDMI cable, I would need a HDMI 2.0b equivalent cable so it would work with my monitor?
    No, basically if you're not using 4K monitor (you can still run 4K at 30Hz through 1.4) or 1440p monitor with higher than 75Hz refresh rate, or some advanced features you dont need HDMI 2.0 cable. They're considerably more expensive. You can read up on the feature support in the link below. 2.0a added HDR support.

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/cabl...i-2-0-spec/228
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2020-08-05 at 02:11 PM.

1650 Super has GDDR6. There is a separate 1650 non-Super version with GDDR6 memory aswell. GDDR5 production is winding down, prices go up and GDDR6 prices go down so even the budget cards have GDDR6 now. You're right on the VRAM size.

Sure, makes sense.

2pin connectors dont come separately. They're attached to the 6pin part so you can connect into 8 or 6 pin connector with a single header. If you dont see it on your PSU when looking at a 6pin then you probably dont have them. It would help if you find out PSU model you have so it's easier to figure out. It should be on the sticker on PSU case.

I dont see why not. That card is 2 slot and pretty short. If you're not sure you can just check with the support list for you case.

If you have a CPU that's newer than AMD AM3 stuff or Intel Sandy Bridge (2nd gen, 2000 series) then your CPU supports gen3. In terms of motherboards Intel H-series chipsets until latest gen (H410/470) and with the exception of highend H-series chipsets (H170/270/370) do not support gen3. That doesnt mean the GPU wont run, since they standards are backwards compatible, it just could be slower, depending on how much bandwidth the GPU uses.

No, basically if you're not using 4K monitor (you can still run 4K at 30Hz through 1.4) or 1440p monitor with higher than 75Hz refresh rate, or some advanced features you dont need HDMI 2.0 cable. They're considerably more expensive. You can read up on the feature support in the link below. 2.0a added HDR support.

http://www.audiogurus.com/learn/cabl...i-2-0-spec/228
    Yeah, I checked out the 6-pin connectors inside my computer and they are attached to a 2-pin connector. I read online later that they are called 6+2 pin connectors so they can be used for either 6-pin, 2-pin or 8-pin. My PSU is the Corsair Professional HX650W. I mentioned it in the OP, along with the other specs but I think I edited that in later so you might have missed it.

I was wondering why the video card looks a bit... thick. Then I checked the metal strip that looks like a L shape and they are the size of two slots. My case is a Corsair Carbide Series 500R. I'll check it online and see if it fits but most likely it does (I checked just now and it can fit up to 452 mm max GPU length and the GTX 1660 Super dimensions are 247 x 127 x 46 mm so it definitely will fit).

I have the Intel Core i5-3570K, which is Ivy Bridge, which is I think after Sandy bridge, right? And this would be considered 3rd gen? Intel H-series chipsets, what are they? I see the specs for my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard that the chipset for it is Intel Z77... I don't know if that is related though.

I see that all the HDMI cables are all similar prices, like in the ~$15 CAN range so I'll just get one of them, whichever brand and be content with that hopefully.

I am gonna go ahead and order the GTX 1660 Super then. Thank you and to everyone else who helped me with my decision . All of your guys' advice were very helpful in helping me decide.
    Last edited by Gaebryel Quintyne; 2020-08-05 at 03:22 PM.

1660 super

5500 xt

Those are both around $300 canuck bucks. Anything closer to $200 isn't a significant enough upgrade to a 1050 ti to recommend.

One exception to this may be if you can find an ultra-cheap Rx 580 used for around $150. They're fairly common used at this price point.

Between these two choices, the 1660 super has a performance edge.
    Last edited by Llunai; 2020-08-05 at 03:31 PM.

Yeah, I checked out the 6-pin connectors inside my computer and they are attached to a 2-pin connector. I read online later that they are called 6+2 pin connectors so they can be used for either 6-pin, 2-pin or 8-pin. My PSU is the Corsair Professional HX650W. I mentioned it in the OP, along with the other specs but I think I edited that in later so you might have missed it.
    Yeah, it's fine. It's a pretty old PSU though, you'd better watch it closely at this point.

I was wondering why the video card looks a bit... thick. Then I checked the metal strip that looks like a L shape and they are the size of two slots. My case is a Corsair Carbide Series 500R. I'll check it online and see if it fits but most likely it does (I checked just now and it can fit up to 452 mm max GPU length and the GTX 1660 Super dimensions are 247 x 127 x 46 mm so it definitely will fit).
    It's a normal 2 slot card. You would have to try pretty hard to find an ATX case it wont fit into.

I have the Intel Core i5-3570K, which is Ivy Bridge, which is I think after Sandy bridge, right? And this would be considered 3rd gen? Intel H-series chipsets, what are they? I see the specs for my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard that the chipset for it is Intel Z77... I don't know if that is related though.
    Yep, Ivy Bridge is 3rd gen. Z77 is obviously Z-series chipset, H-series would be H61, H77, H87, H97, H110, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    One exception to this may be if you can find an ultra-cheap Rx 580 used for around $150.
    I wouldnt buy used Polaris. Most of them have issues with FETs and SMD caps failing, even Sapphire which is considered the best AMD brand. Also, they're very popular among miners so those likely would be heavily exploited.