Laptop - Upgrade Monitor ?

Hello all, I have some questions in regards what to do.

Currently. Own a laptop the ASUS ROG Stric G531GT, I bought it for work as I travel lots and it’s been fine for work so far but I’ve recently started playing lots of Warzone at home on my desktop which runs it wit at 144 FPS.

Travel at work with the laptop the difference in screens is too much for me to handle from my desktop being a good computer and my laptop being budget.

The laptop is:
    GTX 1650 4gb
    i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40 GHz (8 CPU)
    24 GB of ram (I added an extra stick)

The display info is 1920x1080 - 60 hz refresh rate

So my question now is am I able to buy a better monitor and just plug my laptop into the monitor to play with better picture and higher frames ?

Should I buy a 75 hz ? 120 hz?

Any suggestions would be great, around a $250-300 CAD budget is preferable.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no.

FIrst, the laptop has to be able to drive the monitor at higher resolution and/or frames. If the game can't play above 60fps, then getting a 75 or 120 or 144 won't matter.

Secondly uh... Dragging around a monitor isn't exactly conducive to 'travel'...
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yes and no.

FIrst, the laptop has to be able to drive the monitor at higher resolution and/or frames. If the game can't play above 60fps, then getting a 75 or 120 or 144 won't matter.

Secondly uh... Dragging around a monitor isn't exactly conducive to 'travel'...

Well from the way I have seen on some benchmarks on the 1650 it can get to 100+ for games like CSGO. But for games like witcher it’s around 50 still, and I’d be okay with playing games around 50-60 but just wondering if I had a better monitor then the laptop does it make a difference in sharpness with those specs ?

Haha by travel I mean I work 9 days on 5 off. So first day travel in truck to whatever hotel I’m staying at and unpack, stay there for 8 nights then travel home last night so moving a monitor isn’t too big of a hassle, I used to just bring my whole desktop but it was a little much after a while having to pack and h pack my desktop then unpack when I got home became more of a nuisance.

Edit: also to add Im just going to buy this and my monitor and laptop won’t need to be unpacked when I get home because of it.

https://www.amazon.ca/transport-ordi...6678751&sr=8-6

Quote Originally Posted by jordo0909 View Post
    Well from the way I have seen on some benchmarks on the 1650 it can get to 100+ for games like CSGO. But for games like witcher it’s around 50 still, and I’d be okay with playing games around 50-60 but just wondering if I had a better monitor then the laptop does it make a difference in sharpness with those specs ?

Haha by travel I mean I work 9 days on 5 off. So first day travel in truck to whatever hotel I’m staying at and unpack, stay there for 8 nights then travel home last night so moving a monitor isn’t too big of a hassle, I used to just bring my whole desktop but it was a little much after a while having to pack and h pack my desktop then unpack when I got home became more of a nuisance.

Edit: also to add Im just going to buy this and my monitor and laptop won’t need to be unpacked when I get home because of it.

https://www.amazon.ca/transport-ordi...6678751&sr=8-6
    Youre only going to be able to drive a 1080p monitor at any reasonable framerates, so youd end up with a *larger* monitor of the same resolution, meaning it would, in fact, be less sharp.

Chances are quite high that if you're at a hotel, you've got a 1080p TV in the room. Just plug into that if you want to use a bigger display.

And/or you can get a decent 1080p pico projector with a short throw distance and just project on the wall. Done that a few times.

Really, i'd just suck it up and game on the laptop screen and/or get an HDMI cable and play on the TV.

Okay thanks for the advice. I’ll just save and buy a better laptop I guess. Thanks so much for your help!