Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Regardless, it's a mostly semantic argument and one which doesn't really seem to have any place outside of these forums for whatever reason.
    I love backtracks like these in your posts.

If it's a semantic argument, then why you raise it in the first place?
    Nobody who is making a legitimate argument is trying to say that your experiences are somehow any less relevant when they mention nostalgia.
    Then why are they using words that imply this?

Like, this such a dumb argument, people that use the word "Nostalgia" in that context know damn well what they're saying.
    Words mean things, your job as user to look them up and Nostalgia can be seen as derogatory in that context.
    safe space where anybody who mentions it is trying to take away from your feelings about something.
    It's not a safespace, it's a place filled with people that disagree with you.

Two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Very rare pepe View Post
    I don't chase nostalgia either, classic is boring. Your presence does not make me angry, it makes me worried. And I play the game too and it isn't as good as it used to be. Fact.
    Sure it doesn't, that's why you had to post. Be worried about yourself if you think your opinion constitutes facts.

I'm done with you.

As for on topic with diminishing other people's enjoyment; Individuals can stop telling people they only enjoy Classic due to nostalgia (how does that work with those who never played Vanilla?), and stop telling other people they only enjoy Retail due to addiction.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-08-06 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Sure it doesn't, that's why you had to post. Be worried about yourself if you think your opinion constitutes facts.

I'm done with you.
    Alright buttercup, take care. Precious thing.

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    Except mostly everyone has been enjoying classic. More hate from retail fan bois.
    Yeah, all of those people getting maliciously auto-banned after putting in tons of effort to complete their Scarab Lord quests are sure enjoying it. Same with those getting banned for mass-reporting them. Same for all of those trolling and getting trolled -- setting up discord servers full of people to harass and screw over their fellow players. Yeah, it sure sounds like mostly everyone has been enjoying it and that it's not at all a toxic cesspool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    If you're still in college at 30 then you're doing it wrong.
    This attitude is completely wrong and you should be ashamed for even suggesting it.

If you're in college at 30, you're actually trying and that's never wrong. If you're trying to shame adults that are trying to improve their education and way of life, then you are the one that is wrong.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2020-08-06 at 05:39 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    This has nothing to do with Classic.

Also, those actors are like 30. This means they accomplished neither college nor humor.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day...
    Nah, just keeping it real man

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Because the word nostalgia implies that something is only perceived as "good" because people have good memories attached to it (which might be faulty on top of that) rather than being "good" by more objective standards.

The term "rose tinted goggles" is pretty synomous with nostalgia, which basically means that you're accusing someone of not being objective due to their personal experiences.
    I live in a big city now. It fits my lifestyle and career opportunities. That said, visiting my small town home is a very nostalgic and refreshing experience that is part of what I look forward to during the holidays. Just because it's not where I currently choose to live, doesn't mean my nostalgia is negative or that its an objectively worse place to live.

The concept of nostalgia itself is as positive or negative as a person chooses to make it, there is no negativity inherent in the meaning of the word itself.
    (although I see you addressed some of this already, I wanted to provide my spin on it)

I never understood the concept of people thinking we like old game (or anything else) just because we played them when we were young and think we only like them because of the concept of Nostalgia, as if everything that is not bread new was just bad and something current can totally replace it. Yes, some stuff age badly but some age just fine.

Even the definition of nostalgia is tainted by negative words like wistful and homesick. If I remember correctly, the term was coined by a dude that saw army men being homesick during wars, as if wanting to come back to your peaceful live was a disease or something.

Classic as is pros and cons vs retail, and some changes were bound to happen, but that do not mean going back is necessary a bad thing.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Yeah, all of those people getting maliciously auto-banned after putting in tons of effort to complete their Scarab Lord quests are sure enjoying it.
    Because the auto ban function was never abused on retail in any shape or form and no other game encounters similiar issues with automated bans?

Also, equating "toxicity" with "not fun" is just straight weird.
    Any Moba game is notorious for their toxic community, does this mean the game isn't fun?

I love backtracks like these in your posts.

If it's a semantic argument, then why you raise it in the first place?

Then why are they using words that imply this?

Like, this such a dumb argument, people that use the word "Nostalgia" in that context know damn well what they're saying.
    Words mean things, your job as user to look them up and Nostalgia can be seen as derogatory in that context.

It's not a safespace, it's a place filled with people that disagree with you.

Two different things.
    I really don't understand what you're getting at here. It seems like you're accusing me of using the word nostalgia in a derogatory manner but I haven't. I merely asked why the word is such a hot-button issue on this forum because pretty much anywhere else you go on the internet people generally don't see the word with the same negative connotation it has around here.

I really don't understand what you're getting at here. It seems like you're accusing me of using the word nostalgia in a derogatory manner but I haven't.
    I'm not, but you not understanding how it seems derogatory to people is odd, because it's pretty obvius.

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    From the video, they are disappointed by the nostalgia. Not the case with wow.
    Then why were there fuckton's of people who after playing classic for awhile were asking for changes and/or complaining about shit while others would go into an autistic rage if Blizzard would mention something couldn't be 100% vanilla, or the dropoff of players when people were claiming they could do vanilla content for years? Not saying classic isn't good or that nobody likes it but to say that people weren't disappointed by the nostalgia in wow is a bit disingenuous when clearly many were (not all).

If you can afford to continue going to college in your 30's, are going to college to change to a different career, or you just like learning new stuff, I'd argue that you're doing things right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if your definitions of what is "right" are ridiculously myopic, because you're basically trashing everyone who delayed getting a higher education for any reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I'm not, but you not understanding how it seems derogatory to people is odd, because it's pretty obvius.
    The only thing that's obvious is that Classic fans are probably a bit too sensitive.

The only thing that's obvious is that Classic fans are probably a bit too sensitive.
    I've already explained it why nostalgia in that context is derogatory, but hey, talk shit about video games people like but don't expect everybody will say "i can see where you're coming from".

I've already explained it why nostalgia in that context is derogatory, but hey, talk shit about video games people like but don't expect everybody will say "i can see where you're coming from".
    LOL, nobody here is "talking shit." What are you going on about? I'm just pointing out nostalgia being a double entendre in this subforum probably has more to do with people being overly sensitive than it does what the actual word itself means.

LOL, nobody here is "talking shit." What are you going on about?
    If you say, nearly one year after its release that nostalgia is the primary reason people are still playing Classic, then you are talking shit.

post it was replying to said if you are 30 you havent accomplished college, which also doesnt make any sense

Enlighten me. How exactly is defining nostalgia as nostalgia an insult to Classic?
    Because it's reductionist, you're trying to frame peoples' enjoyment in something and completely bypassing their opinions.

I'm not playing classic for nostalgia, for example and someone insisting I do is just, wrong and weird.

If you say, nearly one year after its release that nostalgia is the primary reason people are still playing Classic, then you are talking shit.
    I like a lot of things for purely nostalgic reasons. I love Milwaukee not because it is an objectively great town, but because that's where I grew up. I will watch every Star Wars movie because I was such a fan as a kid ... even if they are not very good from a film standpoint I will watch them and enjoy them multiple times. I will tend to play warlock even when I am disappointed with changes year after year because that was my first main. I could go on and on. That I enjoy those things out of nostalgia isn't a pejorative.

You strike me (not just from this thread) as someone who wants to pretend that the measure of how enjoyable a game experience is can be tied to an objective truth and, as such, a term like "nostalgia" is so offensive as it attacks your cold hard (and completely correct) intellectual evaluation.

Personally, I think it would be laughable to think that the original WoW being released today would be even remotely successful without the history and prior experiences of the playerbase. That is absolutely merely my opinion and there is no way to prove (or disprove) the theory, but that's what I think for a multitude of reasons. But here is the thing: it does not matter. People should enjoy what they enjoy because they do not need to justify the foundations of that enjoyment. Get thicker skin and it will be a complete non issue if people think you are playing because of nostalgia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Because it's reductionist, you're trying to frame peoples' enjoyment in something and completely bypassing their opinions.

I'm not playing classic for nostalgia, for example and someone insisting I do is just, wrong and weird.
    Enjoyment is inherently subjective.

People given over to something are less likely to understand the source of their affection than those with an outside perspective. People in every major city think their city is the best in the world. But you are right, you can't tell them that they only think that because they grew up there because humans are so sensitive, even though the statement would be true.

What a stupid thing to say... people can get multiple credentials throughout their life, or didn't have a great start due to whatever countless reasons. The fact you'd mock someone trying to better themselves is just sad.