Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Section 8 Housing

Is it just me or do these assholes request every piece of fucking information about you? They even have the nerve to ask how much is in your checking account.

You're also not allowed to open ANY interest-bearing accounts. That means that if you opened a Chase savings account right now - which by the way offers less than .001% interest - they'd terminate your Section 8 voucher.

WTF?

Anyone else fed up with the bullshit subsidized housing in this country?
    Last edited by mario710; 2020-08-07 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mario710 View Post
    Given your recent topics, I think you are just bored and not actually dealing with Section 8 housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    what is section 8 housing?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_(housing)
    Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. § 1437f), often called Section 8, as repeatedly amended, authorizes the payment of rental housing assistance to private landlords on behalf of low-income households in the United States.
    Housing for low-income individuals and families.

3+ Year Old Account
    Is it just me or do these assholes request every piece of fucking information about you? They even have the nerve to ask how much is in your checking account.
    have you ever moved into an apartment before? all of the places I've lived at ask for your credit score and how much you make each month to make sure you can even afford living there.

You're also not allowed to open ANY interest-bearing accounts. That means that if you opened a Chase savings account right now - which by the way offers less than .001% interest - they'd terminate your Section 8 voucher.

WTF?

Put everything in someone else's name.

Op is finally leaving home?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Op is finally leaving home?
    Lol! Now now, be nice.

Section 8 housing is a good thing. But it is understandable they need to have some strict rules to prevent abusers from taking advantage of the program, when some really need it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

It just seems to me that the OP has had very little experience getting an apt/flat.

WTF?

Why wouldn't they check your accounts to make sure you are not trying to abuse the system?

You are allowed to have those accounts and the money you earn on those assets each year will be counted toward your annual income. If its over 5k then it will play into the calculations on affordability and how much money you would qualify for or even if you do qualify.

if this was not a thing they checked then someone with 12 million dollars in investment/bank accounts could qualify for section 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Put everything in someone else's name.
    HUD actually does more verifications then most other govt run programs, they will look at any recent financial transactions that attempt to "hide" assets. They will ask for documentation on any large transfers of assets.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Of course they need info on your bank account. They need to be sure you actually Need section 8 housing. Second, if you open a savings, that means you have disposable income enough to do so. If you're able to afford a better house, then they want you to do so so programs that are aimed at helping those in need can have houses to select from.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    what is section 8 housing?
    Welfare housing

- - - Updated - - -

uh no, I've never leeched off the system before.
    I mean if you're fed up with it you can always live elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Of course they need info on your bank account. They need to be sure you actually Need section 8 housing. Second, if you open a savings, that means you have disposable income enough to do so. If you're able to afford a better house, then they want you to do so so programs that are aimed at helping those in need can have houses to select from.
    sort of a random comment, but my bank account with local credit union is savings account. like... only savings account as the only account with them. it was cheaper to open and has lower minimum to keep it free than a checking account with the same union. so... I do wonder how they deal with situations like that.

If you're fed up with it, stop using it...?

Them making sure that you can afford the place whilst at the same time NEED it and not just trying to abuse the system, seems like common sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    If you're fed up with it, stop using it...?

Them making sure that you can afford the place whilst at the same time NEED it and not just trying to abuse the system, seems like common sense.
    I'm curious as to exactly how one "abuses" subsidized housing.

Because if your concern is that someone might end up holding ownership over a bunch of properties that they can't actually afford, then oh boy do I have something to tell you about landlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I'm curious as to exactly how one "abuses" subsidized housing.

Because if your concern is that someone might end up holding ownership over a bunch of properties that they can't actually afford, then oh boy do I have something to tell you about landlords.
    I don't need you to tell me what it can be like in welfare housing and people abusing the right and hurting those who wouldn't do the same, I've lived it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I don't need you to tell me what it can be like in welfare housing and people abusing the right and hurting those who wouldn't do the same, I've lived it.
    Then go ahead and elaborate, because again; I'm curious exactly how one 'abuses' subsidized housing.

If the argument is they don't take care of it to the extent that you like - that's really not an abuse since the intent of the system is to provide housing for people that can't afford it, which it is still accomplishing even if the properties aren't taken care of (point in fact, a lot of the 'not taking care of' stuff has to do with the fact people that qualify for subsidized housing typically can't afford constant or extensive maintenance services, especially of low grade mass produced housing of the sort that tends to be allotted for it). If the argument is that people might own...multiple subsidized houses, somehow....? Again, got bad news to tell you about landlords and owning a bunch of properties they can't afford.

It is always the same story; people complaining about 'welfare' and then when asked to substantiate a lot of the myths like the Welfare Queen or buying drugs on EBT, it gets boiled down to vague anecdotes like "well I witnessed this once" or "well I have personal experience with X". That's nice, but it's not remotely a basis for an ethical position as to how people should be treated in society.

People should have a place to live by default. If you want them to live a particular lifestyle which suits your aesthetic and personal tastes more, then perhaps spend some energy thinking up methods by which we can discourage the sort of behaviors you qualify as "abuses" that don't involve making it difficult for people to find places to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    *snip*
    Thanks for that wholly unnecessary ramble and for assuming that I'm somehow responsible for the housing or that I was complaining about welfare for people.

I was responding to the OP's inane complaints. Your incessant need to come in and make assumptions and projections has no relevance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Why wouldn't they check your accounts to make sure you are not trying to abuse the system?

You are allowed to have those accounts and the money you earn on those assets each year will be counted toward your annual income. If its over 5k then it will play into the calculations on affordability and how much money you would qualify for or even if you do qualify.

if this was not a thing they checked then someone with 12 million dollars in investment/bank accounts could qualify for section 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, not even here in Sweden can you get unchecked access to welfare without proving that you actually need it. The few who do cheat and abuse the systems however, make it more difficult for everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account

WTF?

Wait till you hear about applying for a public defender.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Welfare housing

- - - Updated - - -

uh no, I've never leeched off the system before.
    I mean if you're fed up with it you can always live elsewhere.

leeched off the system?
    interesting that must mean you have never paid taxes before, since a leech would be getting something for nothing. Someone who pays taxes and then getting back services for those taxes would not be a leech.

Also based on that, you have in fact leeched off the system as for there are many govt services that you receive just not the one you are bashing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    sort of a random comment, but my bank account with local credit union is savings account. like... only savings account as the only account with them. it was cheaper to open and has lower minimum to keep it free than a checking account with the same union. so... I do wonder how they deal with situations like that.
    deal with what situation?
    You are allowed to have as many accounts as you want, its what is in them that is the qualifier.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

7+ Year Old Account
    Either a program is restrictive/eligibility-based or it's universal and you give it to everybody with no questions asked. That's all there is to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    leeched off the system?
    interesting that must mean you have never paid taxes before, since a leech would be getting something for nothing. Someone who pays taxes and then getting back services for those taxes would not be a leech.

Also based on that, you have in fact leeched off the system as for there are many govt services that you receive just not the one you are bashing.
    If you worked as hard as you do when making up bullshit excuses as for why you feel you should have privacy on your finances when you are sucking off a system you wouldn't be using welfare housing. I have paid taxes since I was 14 and I've worked up to 3 jobs at a time in order to make sure I don't need to resort to government assistance. Learn to not use logic fallacies like appealing to ridicule.