Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Based on your voting history this is a lie.
    Over and above other concerns;

He doesn't support those many American citizens who were immigrants themselves, and had to apply to enter in the first place.
    He doesn't support American citizens whose families are overseas who they may want to bring to the USA.
    He doesn't support people seeking to become American citizens.
    He doesn't support any citizens who have compassion and empathy for the plights of foreign asylum-seekers.
    He doesn't support citizens who disagree with him that misanthropic nationalism is the only way to be.

That's just sticking to immigration, specifically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Based on your voting history this is a lie.
    Thwart is rather simple to explain when it comes to immigration, "Make america white again".

At this rate they should just shut it down totally.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    At this rate they should just shut it down totally.
    other countries have already closed their borders to Americans as it is. no one is scrambling to come here in the middle of a pandemic. this is nothing but appealing to racists to shore up their vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Don't even pretend to think you know what I care for. You can disagree with my beliefs but don't dare to think I don't care about the citizens of this great country.
    You posted nothing in the covid thread, but seem to defend Trump on a regular basis. There are 150000 Americans dead and you are discussing people who have nothing, having to pay to escape persecution.

I’m an American citizen, if my family had to pay, we would never made it to US. You claim to care about citizens of this country, while supporting an executive order that would have prevented a large majority of us from being citizens. How does that make sense?

What is the difference between citizens who did not have to pay for asylum and would be citizens who have to pay for asylum? Do you believe my family should have been charged, knowing it would prevent us coming to US?

Edit: This is personal for a hell of a lot of American citizens. You may say you care, but it sure as hell sounds like you’d support keeping a lot of us out, if Trump could. I don’t understand how immigrants, who are citizens, are supposed to take this as caring and not spiting on us. Could you explain that?

Here... take this soap box... explain how citizens like me, are supposed to take this as you care and not wishing we would never came? I don’t know anything about you... but, I am fairly sure you don’t belong to a Native American tribe... nor judging by how most American families got to US... odds are, you wouldn’t be here if people like you got their way. It wold be ironic, if not so tragic... plenty of points to cover... here stand on this soap box... scream it loud, scream it proud!
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-08-03 at 07:54 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Not surprised, next thing you know they'll try to charge money for SNAP and WIC applications.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right that the aren't comparable. The government has a responsibility to its citizens while it owes nothing to others.

Don't even pretend to think you know what I care for. You can disagree with my beliefs but don't dare to think I don't care about the citizens of this great country.
    Are you voting for Trump or any Republican? Then the only citizens of this country that you care about are ones that vote Republican.

Kushner's coronavirus team shied away from a national strategy, believing that the virus was hitting Democratic states hardest and that they could blame governors, report says.

Facts don't care about your feelings. It is nothing but a bald faced lie to claim to remotely give a shit about the United States while supporting ignoring natural disasters, setting up concentration camps, and sending secret police into American cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can disagree with my beliefs but don't dare to think I don't care about the citizens of this great country.
    You, like many of your conservative brethren, only truly mean this in the context of "I care about the citizens of this great country...as long as they look like me, act like me, and have the same values as me."

Otherwise it's all "baby killers!" "Lock her up!" "Papers please" "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps" and so on.

You may have wrapped yourself around the American flag so tightly you've deluded yourself into thinking you are actually for diversity, equality, and freedom for all, but when you strip away all the fake patriotic gobbletygook your ideology is devoid of empathy, and thus is entirely self centered and focused on your own experience -- which means you don't care about people not like you.

What is truly awful about it all is you've also convinced yourself that cruelty is beneficial to others. Toughen them up so to speak.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You, like many of your conservative brethren, only truly mean this in the context of "I care about the citizens of this great country...as long as they look like me, act like me, and have the same values as me."

Otherwise it's all "baby killers!" "Lock her up!" "Papers please" "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps" and so on.

You may have wrapped yourself around the American flag so tightly you've deluded yourself into thinking you are actually for diversity, equality, and freedom for all, but when you strip away all the fake patriotic gobbletygook your ideology is devoid of empathy, and thus is entirely self centered and focused on your own experience -- which means you don't care about people not like you.

What is truly awful about it all is you've also convinced yourself that cruelty is beneficial to others. Toughen them up so to speak.
    Also, notice the careful wording. Citizens. Not people. Citizens. The implication being legal recognition by the state is what makes someone 'American' and thus deserving of dignity and rights (and furthermore, that it is a status that can be rescinded).

Legalism is fundamentally not a reconcilable position with the idea of belief in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Also, notice the careful wording. Citizens. Not people. Citizens. The implication being legal recognition by the state is what makes someone 'American' and thus deserving of dignity and rights (and furthermore, that it is a status that can be rescinded).

Legalism is fundamentally not a reconcilable position with the idea of belief in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
    It also doesn’t mean what he thinks it does... asylum seekers are like citizens in training. You can’t claim to care about citizens, while blocking the source of those citizens with a paywall. Does he mean only current citizen, with everyone after today, can go fuck them selfs?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It also doesn’t mean what he thinks it does... asylum seekers are like citizens in training. You can’t claim to care about citizens, while blocking the source of those citizens with a paywall. Does he mean only current citizen, with everyone after today, can go fuck them selfs?
    Lol fuck no it's just thinly veiled code for support of an ethnostate.

This is why the right wing bitches so much about jus soli citizenship, because it precludes their ability to curate the country's legally recognized population within specific demographic margins. Same thing with asylum laws.

They'll claim it's about wealth but as with everything the right in the US does it ultimately boils down to the R word. As evidenced by the automatic association of European immigrants as wealthy and white collar and the automatic association of Latino immigrants with farm workers or 'worse'.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-08-03 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    They'll claim it's about wealth but as with everything the right in the US does it ultimately boils down to the R word. As evidenced by the automatic association of European immigrants as wealthy and white collar and the automatic association of Latino immigrants with farm workers or 'worse'.
    I grew up around European immigrants who came with nothing and I don’t just mean my family. This is a perspective of those that never actually met the people they talk about... which I guess is par for the course...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I grew up around European immigrants who came with nothing and I don’t just mean my family. This is a perspective of those that never actually met the people they talk about... which I guess is par for the course...
    I mean, that's the thing isn't it. Racism and other forms of bigotry are irrational viewpoints; that means they are not explicable by rationality, by definition. Or rather - they are not explicable by rational people who automatically assume that other people are arguing in good faith.

Because the circular logic and self-defeating arguments only exist as a function of outright systemic prejudice no longer being as publicly acceptable. Or in simpler terms: claiming to care about liberty and equality for Americans but then supporting things like this is entirely reconcilable. If your viewpoint is fundamentally couched in white supremacy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Someone would have to be a complete idiot to request asylum in the US right now. Find a democratic country somewhere, sheesh. There are dozens of places that would be much better in every way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Someone would have to be a complete idiot to request asylum in the US right now. Find a democratic country somewhere, sheesh. There are dozens of places that would be much better in every way.
    Its the closest "safe" place to some.

What next? Charge them rent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The international asylum institute should be abolished, anyway. It has long since become meaningless. Virtually everyone who utilizes it is an economic migrant. Refugees from war should go through what needs to be a more robust international system for refugees. Predominantly housing them as close to their own country as possible so that they can be returned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    What next? Charge them rent?
    Charging refugees to apply, is like charging homeless rent.

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Good, nothing should be free. Everything should be run like a business.
    And other jokes to tell yourself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Another in the long list of things they'll try to keep the "others" out or down. Shit like poll taxes and literacy tests were things they tried for voters back in the day,