Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    According to that tweet thread its a free battle pass with daily throttling for cosmetics that you can pay to skip tiers on.

Not nearly as bad with context, though spiderman being exclusive is still setting a precedent that I'm really sad to see set.
    Is this Marvel game F2P? Otherwise such systems and business models have very little place, and deserve any ounce of contempt they get. Because what happens is "pay to skip" is a direct conflict of interests with the pacing of the game. Game companies can not help themselves but to retard the pacing of progression through such battlepasses in order to "encourage" paying.

People REALLY need to stop viewing paid cosmetics as the norm outside of F2P games.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Is this Marvel game F2P? Otherwise such systems and business models have very little place, and deserve any ounce of contempt they get. Because what happens is "pay to skip" is a direct conflict of interests with the pacing of the game. Game companies can not help themselves but to retard the pacing of progression through such battlepasses in order to "encourage" paying.

People REALLY need to stop viewing paid cosmetics as the norm outside of F2P games.
    all you get is cosmetics, so you pay to get them faster. thats literally it. otherwise you get daily progress for free. again, totally free.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm used to console exclusive entire games or console exclusive cosmetics. I've personally never seen an entire character or something equivalent like a class be exclusive to a platform. Not saying it hasn't existed, but I can't think of a single one in recent memory.
    Some fighting game series, the Soulcalibur series in particular, has had characters that were exclusive to different consoles. At least in that case each console got their own exclusive. Not like here where PS4 gets Spider-Man and PC and X-Box simply get nothing and therefor, a lesser game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    all you get is cosmetics, so you pay to get them faster. thats literally it. otherwise you get daily progress for free. again, totally free.
    And do you honestly think that the "free" progress(in a game which you already paid a box price for) isn't going to be manipulated into being annoying so that you're more likely to get frustrated and pay? Or that the entire "log in every day so you form a habit" mechanic isn't pushing you towards higher emotional and temporal investment so when they drop a charge down the road, you're more likely to suffer the sunk-cost fallacy?

Sadly, this is exactly what I'm talking about. People need to think about these business models before rationalizing them. People need to stop accepting these kinds of practices as the norm. Either set the initial price of the game at something reasonable for what it provides, and include EVERYTHING with that price without additional fees, tags, or conditions, or make the game F2P so everyone knows what they're getting into.

This nickle/dime MTX bullshit needs to stop being widely accepted.

And do you honestly think that the "free" progress(in a game which you already paid a box price for) isn't going to be manipulated into being annoying so that you're more likely to get frustrated and pay? Or that the entire "log in every day so you form a habit" mechanic isn't pushing you towards higher emotional and temporal investment so when they drop a charge down the road, you're more likely to suffer the sunk-cost fallacy?

Sadly, this is exactly what I'm talking about. People need to think about these business models before rationalizing them. People need to stop accepting these kinds of practices as the norm. Either set the initial price of the game at something reasonable for what it provides, and include EVERYTHING with that price without additional fees, tags, or conditions, or make the game F2P so everyone knows what they're getting into.

This nickle/dime MTX bullshit needs to stop being widely accepted.
    i doesnt bug me in the slightest. the business model is fine IMO and a good one for the games longevity.

then again, i dont whine about optional MTX in games, F2P or not

i doesnt bug me in the slightest. the business model is fine IMO and a good one for the games longevity.

lol longevity, I give this game a year before it's support is dropped. They aren't even attracting the normie MCU fans because they couldn't afford MCU actors.

Then you're part of the problem. Have a great day. I won't respond further.

I'm used to console exclusive entire games or console exclusive cosmetics. I've personally never seen an entire character or something equivalent like a class be exclusive to a platform. Not saying it hasn't existed, but I can't think of a single one in recent memory.
    Soul Caliber was a major one doing that.

Second one had Spawn on Xbox, Heihachi on PS, Link on Nintendo. The star wars one was Vader on Playstation, Yoda on Xbox (They brought out vader/yoda on opposite system as a paid DLC a year later). Viewtiful Joe on PS2 was only place to play as Dante. That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more I'll have to check.

Yeah no one is gonna buy $500 CoD or such for literally everything on launch (Battlepasses, skins, etc.). This is asinine thinking - and you know it too. There is a reason the updates are free and it's because those who love cosmetics can't help but buy them - and it requires a critical mass of players buying them to warrant the free additional updates. That's how it works now, and how it's probably going to work deep into the future. While it's predatory and fucked up - there are some companies moving to the more respectable versions (Overwatch, 343 Master Chief Collection and the like).

It's either this, or going back to 2008 where you buy a $60 game, then pay $40 for the season pass. Oh, are there skins for weapons? Gonna have to pay for those, too. Skins for your characters? $30, ala League of Legends. It's not the road we want back, because that's what is going to happen if game companies are forced back into that lane.

Also: The game looks mediocre as hell and meant for those who enjoy more of a button mashing game with pretty visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    It's either this, or going back to 2008 where you buy a $60 game, then pay $40 for the season pass. Oh, are there skins for weapons? Gonna have to pay for those, too. Skins for your characters? $30, ala League of Legends. It's not the road we want back, because that's what is going to happen if game companies are forced back into that lane.

Also: The game looks mediocre as hell and meant for those who enjoy more of a button mashing game with pretty visuals.
    Or you know....game companies could just do the Witcher 3 style. Sell a full priced, quality game with a decent amount of depth and gameplay. Then later on release some free updates, followed by another quality DLC/Expansion for $30-40. Clearly it's a viable business model. CDPR stock has been on the rise for awhile now. And once Cyberpunk launches....oof.

Like I said before: This nickle/dime bullshit needs to stop. It's the influence of the mobile market business model creeping in. The worst part is that it works. Largely because it's based on the George Carlin theory: "Think about how dumb the average person is. Then consider that half of people are more stupid than that." Take a large enough pool of people, and there WILL be whales and super-whales.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-08-09 at 04:33 AM.

A lot of my latest purchases have had 0 dlc to buy or battle passes and were just like the old days of buying the game outright and having a full game.

Sekiro, FF7 remake, ghost of tsushima. Hell can even count red dead 2 considering I only played the single player version.

And its looking like my next purchase made a point of saying it doesnt have MTX (crash bandicoot 4)

Games are doing fine they dont need to milk you dry.

If you wanna buy cosmetics on a free to play game that is different. There are different models to gaming in 2020. But examples like WoW are too much where they have an expensive expansion cost, a sub AND sell unique mounts/toys for real money too it starts getting grotesque.

Or the EA sports games and card packs, another example of greed over quality product/happy consumer
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-08-09 at 04:43 AM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

And do you honestly think that the "free" progress(in a game which you already paid a box price for) isn't going to be manipulated into being annoying so that you're more likely to get frustrated and pay?
    I've been playing warzone the last 3 seasons and it has a paid battle pass with paid skips as well but at no point have I felt the need to pay any extra and I always cap it long before the seasons over. I imagine someone could play pretty sparingly and get the entire thing.

Shit they even give me more points than what it costs for the pass so I'm actually going up points from playing every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Soul Caliber was a major one doing that.

Second one had Spawn on Xbox, Heihachi on PS, Link on Nintendo. The star wars one was Vader on Playstation, Yoda on Xbox (They brought out vader/yoda on opposite system as a paid DLC a year later). Viewtiful Joe on PS2 was only place to play as Dante. That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more I'll have to check.
    Thing is in your example there's at least a character per platform, where afaik this just has spiderman specifically for playstation.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Or you know....game companies could just do the Witcher 3 style. Sell a full priced, quality game with a decent amount of depth and gameplay. Then later on release some free updates, followed by another quality DLC/Expansion for $30-40. Clearly it's a viable business model. CDPR stock has been on the rise for awhile now. And once Cyberpunk launches....oof.
    Again, won't happen. Not every game company can make another Witcher 3, WoW, CoD 4, etc. - it's just how it is. And people aren't going to stop paying for entertainment, and a lot of people will continue to pay for cosmetics. I'm sure Cyberpunk will be a good game, but let's be real here: Not every studio has or is capable of doing hit after hit after hit forever.

It's wholly unrealistic to think this will ever stop. Instead it's better to criticize the methods and the abuse of the systems in place - because they won't go away; anything short of laws being put into place to do so.

I've been playing warzone the last 3 seasons and it has a paid battle pass with paid skips as well but at no point have I felt the need to pay any extra and I always cap it long before the seasons over. I imagine someone could play pretty sparingly and get the entire thing.

Shit they even give me more points than what it costs for the pass so I'm actually going up points from playing every season.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here. But isn't COD: Warzone F2P? Whereas the new Marvel game is not, even having a $200 version of the game... :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Again, won't happen.
    Well, not as long as people keep throwing money at those business models and games.

Well, not as long as people keep throwing money at those business models and games.
    And that will never stop happening until laws are put into place - and they won't be, because most of the monetizations that make bank are totally legal. Everyone and their grandmother have battlepasses now, and soon I'm sure they'll adopt the more lenient versions - and then we'll see another trend. Personally, I'm all for 343 / Overwatch / Etc. level micro-transactions. Optional, easy to gain by just playing, and no pressure (Since the stuff comes back around in OW in every event + the anniversary).

That said I'm wholly against this new trend of paid battle-passes that don't last forever. I've always liked the systems, but hated the timed feature because, honestly - I don't want to just play ONE game.

I was excited until the whole Spider-Man fiasco. And now that I have seen the beta gameplay, no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    A lot of my latest purchases have had 0 dlc to buy or battle passes and were just like the old days of buying the game outright and having a full game.

Sekiro, FF7 remake
    Does FF7 Remake really count for that though when they split it into two games so you have to buy two full priced games?

60 dollar always online "game as a service"

Every entry in the Soulcalibur series.

Looks pretty shitty to be honest like a quick cash grab taking advantage of the brand.
    Do you hear the voices too?