Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Selling Name on WoW Classic - Against TOS?

Hey guys,

Someone offered to buy the name of my alt in WoW Classic the other day. Are these types of transactions allowed or is it against the TOS at all? It would be in exchange for in-game gold, so I was leaning towards assuming that it's fine. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this?

Thanks for any information!

Any in game thing exchanged for in game currency is fine.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you going to delete your alt when you sell it?
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

We had a guildie get hacked during vanilla, had all his toons deleted. Two of his main toons lost their name. GM at the time told him the only way to get them back is to kindly ask the player, or offer them gold for it. One guy gave it back for 50g, the other dude asked for 1000g. Went smoothly, as all discussion happened in-game.

Blizzard is not going to stand by any kind of "verbal" agreement, dispite what you claim, if things go bad for you. If you have any reason to distrust the person you intend to do business with, then dont trust them! They arent going to stop you from going through with some agreement with a random person, and they arent going to help you seek recompense if this person screws you over.

How good of a judge of character are you? How much are you willing to gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by last1214 View Post
    Blizzard is not going to stand by any kind of "verbal" agreement, dispite what you claim, if things go bad for you. If you have any reason to distrust the person you intend to do business with, then dont trust them! They arent going to stop you from going through with some agreement with a random person, and they arent going to help you seek recompense if this person screws you over.

How good of a judge of character are you? How much are you willing to gamble?
    This is absolutely wrong. If there are logs of the agreement (meaning you said it in-game chat and not in discord or something) Blizzard will absolutely take action if you've been scammed.

No idea. I had a person reaching me years ago about buying the name Maraad on Stormrage-US, but i chose to keep it. I haven't even played that character since 2013 so maybe i should have just sold the name.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    This is absolutely wrong. If there are logs of the agreement (meaning you said it in-game chat and not in discord or something) Blizzard will absolutely take action if you've been scammed.
    Experienced the truth of this twice along my travels in WoW.

With regards to the @OP, why wouldn't you simply ask this question on the official forums where you can get an official answer? Start a new account if you want to be incognito from the player base.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2020-08-10 at 01:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure this is 100% fine if its for gold, but its an risky trade if either of the sides cant be trusted, unless u get a 3rd party.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I would be surprised if this wasnt okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Safest bet is to make a ticket and ask a GM if this is allowed or not. It shouldn’t be illegal but what if by the time you delete the name some random guy takes it. That could lead to all sorts of trouble/drama etc. Better ask a GM.
    I remember back in the D2 days there was programs that would wait for a character to delete and create it quickly once available. Highly prized names such as Ice for a sorceress or idk Maximus for a Barb. Wonder if those things still exist, but definitely remember that being a thing and my bro being pissed off at losing a toons name.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Experienced the truth of this twice along my travels in WoW.

With regards to the @OP, why wouldn't you simply ask this question on the official forums where you can get an official answer? Start a new account if you want to be incognito from the player base.
    how long ago?

cause in legion i made a ticket with chat proof and got hit with the "unsupported transaction". basically the only thing they will help you with now is things that happen inside the trade window, and seeing how they have the "are you sure you want to accept" thing for that, i'm guessing that pretty much only leaves bugs they help with.

classic might have in different policy, but seeing how they added tradable bop loot to reduce GM tickets, i have my doubts.

as for the OPs problem: i'd make the deal on discord instead of in game chat just to be on the safe side. you are technically selling a paid service for gold. you might also want to check if classic doesn't have the name stays reserved on your account for a few months feature, cause afaik GMs don't help with releasing names anymore either.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-08-10 at 07:14 PM.

How do you imagine that Blizzard should enforce such a trade?
    What if the guy rethinks to delete his character? Can you imagine that Blizzard would forcibly delete or rename a character with a normal name?
    What if someone else manages to grab the freed up name before you can grab it?

You can make such a deal, but Blizzard won't touch it if something goes wrong.
    So buyer beware.

That people care about their ingame name always baffles me

10+ Year Old Account
    OP all 4 of your posts here are "I want to X, is this against TOS?" and... we're not Blizzard. We can give you opinions, but we can't tell you for sure. Ask on the official forums.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    how long ago?

cause in legion i made a ticket with chat proof and got hit with the "unsupported transaction". basically the only thing they will help you with now is things that happen inside the trade window, and seeing how they have the "are you sure you want to accept" thing for that, i'm guessing that pretty much only leaves bugs they help with.

classic might have in different policy, but seeing how they added tradable bop loot to reduce GM tickets, i have my doubts.
    Once in Cata and once in WoD. Both times when having sold a mount. In both cases I had sold a mount on Uther and allowed the purchaser to pay me in gold on Blackrock.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    That people care about their ingame name always baffles me
    The opposite baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    The opposite baffles me.
    Same, everytime I see a character run past named "LolQQPala" or some shit...

The opposite baffles me.
    I go for actual names for my characters ofc... But i would pay someone for the name "Bob" or whatnot.

Specific names dosen't matter to me, as long as the name i get in the end sound good to me.

The opposite baffles me.
    directly shows how invested you are.

i spend more time on my mains name than my alts name.
    i spend more time on names in general 10 years ago than i do now.

10 years ago it was "MY hunter" who deserved a good name, now it's "just a character i need for xyz".