We (new zealand) are sadly going back into lock down after 2 months of relative normality

Pretty much from people not doing quarantine properly and skipping it completely when flying into the country.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    There is just no way Russia beat Europe to a vaccine for COVID-19. I wouldn't take aspirin produced by Russian at this point....
    I am sure their vaccines prevents COVID-19 infections, you can't get sick if you're dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    We (new zealand) are sadly going back into lock down after 2 months of relative normality

Pretty much from people not doing quarantine properly and skipping it completely when flying into the country.
    Still, the fact new cases were identified so quickly and measures are being rolled out equally as speedily are credits to the government's handling of the situation.

I bet it was some British tourists again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Not the only reason. There was also issues with the manufacture of IPV.
    Fair enough, although that was more because they failed to make the IPV properly than because of a flaw with the IPV itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Also, I believe the OPV produces a stronger immunity, making it more suitable for initial vaccination campaigns in endemic areas.
    Live-attenuated virus vaccines pretty much always produce a stronger immune response, though I suppose this point is also fair. OPV continues to be used today, however, long after that benefit would be called for.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And there were also incidents 20 years before that, which some say delayed the vaccines by about 20 years.
    But again, that was during the development of the vaccine, prior to its approval, and related to the OPV, not the IPV.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I am sure their vaccines prevents COVID-19 infections, you can't get sick if you're dead
    Lol.

Side effect: May cause food poisoning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    There is just no way Russia beat Europe to a vaccine for COVID-19. I wouldn't take aspirin produced by Russian at this point....
    Why no way, there is certainly a "way", they have the capabilities for it - there are many brilliant scientists and researchers and they do have the equipment and $$ for this one.

I am pretty certain that it's at least half-true. For one you can be sure they made a considerable effort at it, as every nation with any sort of decent research capability and it's quite probable they at least were on to something.

The problem, most likely, is in testing, reliability and maybe safety. Even besides that, it could work, but require multiple applications to take effect or simply not always produce the desired effect.

I mean there is a chance there is no problem at all too, let's not all be hasty there - that's why the thing will need to be scrutinized before you can just wave it off as another doze of Russian bullshit.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-08-12 at 02:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So let's talk about--

I hope that the Russians have actually, definitively proven that the vaccine is safe and effective. I seriously doubt that they've done that
    -- Dr. Fauci

Nevermind. Moving on.

That's... not entirely right.

Only Auckland is in lock down. The rest are just going back to "hey stop having huge groupings" and we don't know where the new cases came from. It shouldn't be people skipping quarantine but obviously we need to find how it did get in

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Putin announced his daughter has taken the vaccine.

That's more significant then some might realize. In Eastern Europe, especially for families like Putin's, to put your children on health on the line is fairly extraordinary.
    What Putin say and what Putin do is not nessesery the same thing.
    Last edited by Fantomen; 2020-08-12 at 04:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    I'm quoting this out of order because this is the really interesting part. Firstly, OK, to save my time let's call it a hypothesis, you flatter me, I begrudgingly accept the credit.
    I'm not sure why you think you should be flattered, or why there's credit to be had in a hypothesis that was so obviously false to begin with. Nor can you even take credit for being the one to prove that it's obviously false, because you've been fighting tooth and nail to resist that fact.

Funny that you claim that it's wrong after spending so many words to explain why it's right
    Funny that you somehow believe I've explained anything other than why it's wrong.

Now important question: how do you plan to prove the softcap hypothesis to be wrong without waiting a year+ until the pandemic is over? (actual English language over, not your laughably nonsensical "peak X means that X is at its minimum" over)
    Your apparent lack of being able to comprehend the difference between "figurative" vs. "literal" aside, I don't need to do a thing to prove that the obviously false hypothesis is obviously false.

After all this pain, sweat and tears shed by you, tell the class which is bigger, 260083 or 255621?
    I really don't know why you keep thinking that you're scoring points here. Do you really think that simple math is beyond me? No, the problem is that you are incapable of seeing any kind of bigger picture. To you it's just "today is smaller than yesterday so we must have peaked!"

First it was "which is bigger, 260083 or 254176?" Then it was "which is bigger, 260083 or 255621?" After yesterday, and just as I predicted, it was "which is bigger, 260283 or 258021?" So far today, we're 10k cases up from last Tuesday, which means we're now at "which is bigger, 260283 or 259408?"

That's right, the 6k decrease that you hailed as proof that the world has peaked is now down to 875. As far as the question goes, well, I'm patient. I don't need to be proved right today in order to trust in logic and reason over emotions.

Oxford dictionary tells me "to peak" means "Reach a highest point, either of a specified value or at a specified time."
    Cambridge dictionary tells me it means "to reach the highest, strongest, or best point, value, or level of skill".
    Dictionaries aren't in the habit of giving figurative meanings, only literal ones. I'm not sure why you think they would, but then again, you don't seem to understand the difference between the two. FYI, both the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries have entries for "figuratively" that you might want to read.

By way of an example, if a soccer (football) team is down 10-0 with 5 minutes left in regulation, someone might say the game is over. Pretty much everyone listening would understand that said person was speaking figuratively, because it's blatantly obvious that the game isn't literally over. You'd be that one, sad person who incorrectly decides, without anything resembling reason, that the speaker must have been speaking literally. Congratulations.

7-day rolling average of daily cases for Covid-19 on planet Earth has peaked on July 30th. That's 12 days ago. Objectively. Go ahead and deny it again, we both know you hate this fact
    And yet... still not a fact. Also, the high mark is now on July 31st, and today was only 875 (0.3%) lower. What will the next few days bring, I wonder?

I believe that case count in USA will reach 10 million, up from current 5. Some of these people will test positive without being sick, but some people will get sick without being registered as a Covid case, so it will approximately cancel out. Following me so far? 330 million total minus 10 million sick equals 320 million of never sick. Understand now?
    There are almost certainly far more than 10 million people who have already been infected in the US. But even if we're talking about just the confirmed cases, you honestly think that the US is already halfway done with COVID? That's a bold and also very likely false prediction.

Note that I'm all for social distancing, mask usage and cancellation of super spreader events. That's not too much to ask of these 320 million healthy people to save some lives, I'm doing the same where I live. Competent countries do well with just these 3 measures (closed borders is not personal). But forcing additional unnecessary restrictions onto these innocent people, pushing them into misery and poverty, that's cruel and I don't approve.
    You still have yet to prove the "misery and poverty" you're bemoaning. And most non-sociopaths would favor lives over economy.

It's especially bad when you think about those 2.7+ million (and soon to be more) who got Covid, survived, and now still have to suffer from restrictions they don't need.
    And yet there's no guarantee they can't get sick again, there's no guarantee they can't be carriers, and per your earlier comment, there's honestly no guarantee they all were actually infected to begin with. The number of recovered will be a factor in future decisions, I'm sure, but at 1% of the population, it's far from the largest concern.

Tell me this: if cases were actually declining, would that be good or bad? I'm saying it's good.
    Of course it would be. I can't wait 'til we're all past this. But I'm not going to lie to myself in an attempt to feel better, because it's counterproductive. And frankly I'm not particularly keen on other people lying about what is "truth" and "fact", either.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    What Putin say and what Putin do is not nessesery the same thing.
    Oh sure.

It's more about the messaging he's sending here really. Because he's trying to say: Hey look I trust it enough for my own daughter to use it.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

So now there are people talking about possibly being fined or jailed, if states so choose, for refusing a covid vaccine. Honestly though, I wonder how much ground they have to try to impose an untested and untried vaccine on the masses. I am seeing this pop up more and more all over. Though I don't believe a viable vaccine will come for years.

This pandemic is bringing out all kinds of legal things no one knew existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Saw that. Go over 100 days with no cases and then suddenly it reappears. Shows how nasty this thing really is.

As for the Russian vaccine, yeah, count me as dubious. After all they were just busted trying to hack the work others were doing on vaccines, which is not the actions of those who believe they have a viable vaccine almost ready to go. Not unless they are just habitual hackers.

Rushing a vaccine is the last thing we need to do. If there are side effects then it is just going to play into the hands of the rabid anti-vaxxers, who are really amping up with this whole covid thing. Seems they prefer hundreds of thousands of people dying a year than a cure. But then again a working vaccine that eliminates this thing is an existential threat to their belief system. Very few people are alive who have seen first hand just how effective vaccines are in eliminating threats, like small pox. Having one actually play out before people's eyes will hopefully be enough to stamp out this nonsense.

But then again, the hardcore anti-vaxxers have drunk so much cool-aid that there isn't much that will get through to them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Saw that. Go over 100 days with no cases and then suddenly it reappears. Shows how nasty this thing really is.

As for the Russian vaccine, yeah, count me as dubious. After all they were just busted trying to hack the work others were doing on vaccines, which is not the actions of those who believe they have a viable vaccine almost ready to go. Not unless they are just habitual hackers.

Rushing a vaccine is the last thing we need to do. If there are side effects then it is just going to play into the hands of the rabid anti-vaxxers, who are really amping up with this whole covid thing. Seems they prefer hundreds of thousands of people dying a year than a cure. But then again a working vaccine that eliminates this thing is an existential threat to their belief system. Very few people are alive who have seen first hand just how effective vaccines are in eliminating threats, like small pox. Having one actually play out before people's eyes will hopefully be enough to stamp out this nonsense.

But then again, the hardcore anti-vaxxers have drunk so much cool-aid that there isn't much that will get through to them anymore.
    Yeah im certainly not going to rush in for the first vaccine.

I'm in support of drugs taking a long time to make. Only time can reveal some side effects.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Why no way, there is certainly a "way", they have the capabilities for it - there are many brilliant scientists and researchers and they do have the equipment and $$ for this one.

I am pretty certain that it's at least half-true. For one you can be sure they made a considerable effort at it, as every nation with any sort of decent research capability and it's quite probable they at least were on to something.

The problem, most likely, is in testing, reliability and maybe safety. Even besides that, it could work, but require multiple applications to take effect or simply not always produce the desired effect.

I mean there is a chance there is no problem at all too, let's not all be hasty there - that's why the thing will need to be scrutinized before you can just wave it off as another doze of Russian bullshit.
    The problem is that Russia is completely run by a competent and intelligent version of Trump, which means that the lies and maristroika are actually good/great. Russia has been pushing out lies regarding their technological progress for decades, with little to no actual results or proof. Given that track record, their claim to having a viable vaccine, ahead of every other developed nation, shouldn't even be taken with a grain of salt. It's borderline ridiculous.

While your point about there being "a chance there is no problem" is scientifically valid, there is the same percentage of chance that I'll win the lottery tonight.

5+ Year Old Account
    So Russia is "hacking" for a vaccine they worked for years to develop...hacking others that have been at it a month or two? Lol?

And you think they'll randomly combine shit like mad scientist because that fits ur unscientific shitty tabloidesque current media?

You are all free to skip vaccine n enjoy the virus due to ur phobias.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Putin announced his daughter has taken the vaccine.

That's more significant then some might realize. In Eastern Europe, especially for families like Putin's, to put your children on health on the line is fairly extraordinary.

Wait and see is my point of view.
    Imagine falling for this kind of crap. It's like Trump bragging about prophylactic hydroxychloroquine.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    , because you've been fighting tooth and nail to resist that fact.
    Which fact? That no country except one outlier could reach 3% cases? You were wrong BTW when you were talking about passage of time a few posts back; it's testing coverage that matters, not time itself.

Your apparent lack of being able to comprehend the difference between "figurative" vs. "literal" aside, I don't need to do a thing to prove that the obviously false hypothesis is obviously false.
    So you can't. Which means my 3% conjecture remains correct.

There are almost certainly far more than 10 million people who have already been infected in the US.
    Infected and sick are different things. INB4 you tell me that word "asymptomatic" figuratively means "sick"

Dictionaries aren't in the habit of giving figurative meanings, only literal ones. I'm not sure why you think they would, but then again, you don't seem to understand the difference between the two. FYI, both the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries have entries for "figuratively" that you might want to read.
    CAN ANY ENGLISH SPEAKER READING THIS WEIGH IN PLEASE?

Nearly a week ago I made a post saying "It seems the world as a whole has peaked" (see picture below, peak highlighted). PhaelixWW here keeps repeating, day after day, that "has peaked" figuratively means "it's over" and that dictionaries are not to be trusted. Does this look like it's over to you? How can a pandemic at its peak be over?

I think PhaelixWW is wrong about what the English word "peak" means. Confirm/deny?

I'm not particularly keen on other people lying about what is "truth" and "fact", either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

With data going thru HHS (conveniently the number of new cases in the US went down or stable on the very day they too over), not CDC. Nothing strange at all.