Poll: Was Michael Scott A good Boss or a Terrible Boss?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

(The Office U.S) Was Michael Scott A good Boss or a Terrible Boss?

Was Michael Scott A good Boss or a Terrible Boss?

Terrible, Michael Scott is the kind of guy I could see actually getting people laid off and fired for letting most of his antics go unreported.

I know he was terrible Duh! That was the point, No I mean despite him being written the way he was including redeemable qualities?

I am going to say 100% No, Never worked with a boss or been around anyone ever like that, but anything including even some of his qualities have always made work much harder especially in a office than it needed to be.

Have you ever had to work with anyone like any of the characters in The Office? No not even sort of and I have worked in Offices before both at Comcast and in Radio.

Name your top 3 Favorite Characters from The Office (U.S)

1. Jim Halpert
    2. Angela
    3. Pam

Who was one character you didn't like.

I have to say Ryan mostly because without Kelly he didn't really to play off anyone else. Darryl mostly because there was really no room in a already over crowded cast I mean specifically towards the end.

I also didn't like the Mini Jim and Mini Dwight characters, neither were likable if they do a another Office I hope they cast better.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-08-12 at 02:02 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Michael Scott was absolutely terrible and I would have hated been under his management.

It's great for TV, the Office is one of the best sitcoms (well, until Michael leaves) but goddamn he's a miserable boss. Constantly intruding on my work for whatever whim he thought would be funny, constantly barging in to steal the spotlight and make everything about himself. He's rude, obnoxious, narcissistic and his only saving grace is that he cares about his employees.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Michael Scott was absolutely terrible and I would have hated been under his management.

It's great for TV, the Office is one of the best sitcoms (well, until Michael leaves) but goddamn he's a miserable boss. Constantly intruding on my work for whatever whim he thought would be funny, constantly barging in to steal the spotlight and make everything about himself. He's rude, obnoxious, narcissistic and his only saving grace is that he cares about his employees.
    Haha Honestly I had some of the very same thoughts, I mean people LOVE the SHOW, I get it so do I, but the way people blur the lines between fantasy and reality, these days more than anything else is why I think if The Office was made today, people might find what was always clearly meant to be unacceptable as something else.

One of the things I heard people say is the Office couldn't exist today because it's too PC.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-08-12 at 02:33 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The show makes it pretty clear that he's a terrible boss that doesn't have much business knowledge. As long as the salespeople make sales it doesn't really matter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus
    One of the things I heard people say is the Office couldn't exist today because it's too PC.
    I think they just focused on the comedy and it wasn't too PC nor too anti-PC.

As long as you have some doofuses like Michael Scott and Dwight Schrute then the creative people who write the show can basically come up with an endless amount of funny scenarios, which is why the show was able to last for so long. The show isn't on the level of Seinfeld but overall they did a pretty good job, IMO.

3+ Year Old Account
    he tormented his employee's, but for the bottom line he was great.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    Dwight is the personification of capitalist accellerationalism. Only whenever Dwight takes things too far, even if it would be things that corporate would love (and Michael refuses to do) you can see that the rest of the employees actually start to rise up and protest (unlike when they let the water boil slowly). A good example is when Dwight had to choose a new medical plan for the employees. He did everything that corporate exactly asked for "pick the cheapest one".
    lol yeah, Dwight is basically an extreme capitalist combined with a right-wing fascist;

-Has an extreme respect for hierarchy and authority figures like the cops.
    -Delivers a Mussolini speech in a sales context and said he would make a good prison guard in a Japanese internment camp.
    -Stole a rival company's client list and gave it to corporate even though Michael Scott was against it.
    -Loves mind-numbing hardwork but also has the highest sales.
    -Values his traditional German culture and he implied that his family fought for the Nazis.
    -Has a small family farming business.

At least they made him an interesting and somewhat charming character though instead of turning him into the hillbilly/bigot stereotype.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-08-12 at 07:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was a terrible boss. But how would he react to Covid-19, worse than my boss?

Feburary 2020: "Covid is just a hoax."
    March 2020: "The flu is worse."
    <insert punchline>
    April: 'It'll be a quick 2 week quarantine."
    May: Insists on weekly production meetings despite everything being shutdown
    <set up>
    July: "V shaped recovery is just around the corner!"
    August: "Did you hear, Putin has a vaccine!"
    <insert punchline>

At this point, I prefer Workaholics. Especially the later seasons that push the envelope on vulgarity.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The show makes it pretty clear that he's a terrible boss that doesn't have much business knowledge. As long as the salespeople make sales it doesn't really matter though.

I think they just focused on the comedy and it wasn't too PC nor too anti-PC.

As long as you have some doofuses like Michael Scott and Dwight Schrute then the creative people who write the show can basically come up with an endless amount of funny scenarios, which is why the show was able to last for so long. The show isn't on the level of Seinfeld but overall they did a pretty good job, IMO.
    True which begs the question what would motivate people in that type of environment considering Michael's Bafoonary. Also I find it interesting Dwight is the best salesman and seems to brown nose Michael who's philosophy seems a complete 180

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    He was a terrible boss. But how would he react to Covid-19, worse than my boss?

Feburary 2020: "Covid is just a hoax."
    March 2020: "The flu is worse."
    <insert punchline>
    April: 'It'll be a quick 2 week quarantine."
    May: Insists on weekly production meetings despite everything being shutdown
    <set up>
    July: "V shaped recovery is just around the corner!"
    August: "Did you hear, Putin has a vaccine!"
    <insert punchline>

At this point, I prefer Workaholics. Especially the later seasons that push the envelope on vulgarity.
    Yep exactly, that shit in RW not funny. Especially when critical and serious matters are on the line.

he was kind of a good boss because he managed to save that company a couple dozen times that anyone more corporate based would have folded. Dwight would have run that company into the ground
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Terrible for his position but I might not mind working for him.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    There were a lot of bad situations but then there were episodes where he shined and showed he truly cared about his employees.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's damn near unbearable as a boss but his employees put up with him because he is a good guy, which kind of makes him a good boss?

I mean if you had to work in that environment would you want a Michael Scott who is at least human or a a corporate asshole who drive numbers but is a terrible person?

Sort of the reason why Michael Scott is 'bad' is because as a office drone you'd expect someone more dry and ruthless, only caring about the next dollar. Instead you have Scott who is annoying but has a heart and values people before a dollar.

I can't stand Andy. Don't know why, just don't like the character at all. Jim is one of my favorites and at times one of my least liked because at times instead of being someone who very mindful of the office environment they write him as someone who thinks he is better than those in the office.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-08-13 at 05:42 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    He's damn near unbearable as a boss but his employees put up with him because he is a good guy, which kind of makes him a good boss?

I mean if you had to work in that environment would you want a Michael Scott who is at least human or a a corporate asshole who drive numbers but is a terrible person?

Bad of the reason why Michael Scott is 'bad' is because as a office drone you'd expect someone more dry and ruthless, only caring about the next dollar. Instead you have Scott who is annoying but has a heart and values people before a dollar.

I can't stand Andy. Don't know why, just don't like the character at all. Jim is one of my favorites and at times one of my least liked because at times instead of being someone who very mindful of the office environment they write him as someone who thinks he is better than those in the office.
    You sure, really, what about Toby?

What kind of Remember Michael also turns on people on a dime, what about Dwight?

He only really seems to have loyalty to people wen there something about it for him, it's never really independent of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You sure, really, what about Toby?

What kind of Remember Michael also turns on people on a dime, what about Dwight?

He only really seems to have loyalty to people wen there something about it for him, it's never really independent of that.
    Toby is fine. He is dull but that makes sense in the environment and they don't over present his character.

Dwight's character is consistent and makes sense even though I would not be able to stand him in real life.

I don't remember Michael truly backstabbing anyone.

You only need to look as far as the episode where Jim ran an idea past corporate to promote Michael to oversee both branches and Jim promoted to the branch manager and Michael blue balled him without even knowing it because he was afraid he was gonna lose his job and told corporate Jim was unreliable and a bad worker.

He hated the idea of staff being promoted or moving on if it was good for them. He wanted everyone bar toby to just be happy with their roles and be a happy family and laugh at all his jokes and respect him.

Terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember Michael truly backstabbing anyone.
    He backstabs dwight and throws him under the bus multiple times like the golden ticket promotion idea.

And he tells corporate Jim sucks basically and gets them to read through his complaints from toby for flirting with Pam
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    You only need to look as far as the episode where Jim ran an idea past corporate to promote Michael to oversee both branches and Jim promoted to the branch manager and Michael blue balled him without even knowing it because he was afraid he was gonna lose his job and told corporate Jim was unreliable and a bad worker.

He hated the idea of staff being promoted or moving on if it was good for them. He wanted everyone bar toby to just be happy with their roles and be a happy family and laugh at all his jokes and respect him.

Terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

He backstabs dwight and throws him under the bus multiple times like the golden ticket promotion idea.

And he tells corporate Jim sucks basically and gets them to read through his complaints from toby for flirting with Pam
    Michael is an idiot who doesn't see how actions might negatively impact someone when in his mind he believes he is doing good. Doesn't mean he is malicious or goes out of his way to back stab people. That's why he is a bad boss. He doesn't mean bad but does not see how the outcome of his actions end up being bad.

As for Dwight, it's what Dwight gets for being an overbearing kiss ass.

Michael is an idiot who doesn't see how actions might negatively impact someone when in his mind he believes he is doing good. Doesn't mean he is malicious or goes out of his way to back stab people. That's why he is a bad boss. He doesn't mean bad but does not see how the outcome of his actions end up being bad.

As for Dwight, it's what Dwight gets for being an overbearing kiss ass.
    Thats right its more born from stupidity than malicious. Hes also incapable of change so I stand by my statement he does and would throw someone under the bus if it meant keeping things going as normal for him.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

I would not be able to work with any of them bar Oscar which is the only reasonable one. Before you bring Jim, that guy is lazy af.

Mickael is a terrible boss and realisticly, that office should have been closed a dozen time but no because plot armor. And they even make it the best and most successful branch.

he was utterly usless and terrible boss.

no company could ever function under such leadership .

it was funny as TV show but in reality ? such company would go under in 3 months if boss acted and worked like him ,

That guy was the worst. Up to the point he left the show, I really thought someone was going to step in to evaluate his mental health and capacity.

I thought Michael Scott was actually dangerous.