Quote Originally Posted by temple1906 View Post
    It's not silly at all when his writer LARPs as his character on twitter and constantly wanks over Sylvanas. He was a self-insert, it didn't resonate with the fanbase, so they killed him off. Garrosh was similar, in that they had an arc planned for him but the fanbase didn't like him so they about-faced and killed him off.
    Ooor maybe the person writing the character likes the character and you are just bending over backwards to insult ppl u dont know as some vain attempt to take down a megacorp company by talking shit
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default

It's not silly at all when his writer LARPs as his character on twitter and constantly wanks over Sylvanas. He was a self-insert, it didn't resonate with the fanbase, so they killed him off. Garrosh was similar, in that they had an arc planned for him but the fanbase didn't like him so they about-faced and killed him off.
    No shit it didn't resonate with the fanbase, the character wasn't meant to be liked or likeable. This is not a "fanbase empowering" move at all no matter how many people want to pat themselves on the back because Sylvanas and her goonies were destined to be raid bosses since Teldrassil. It's the same stupid shit as the people who swear that Sylvanas was going to get redeemed and her NOT being redeemed was "backpedaling" by Blizz.

You can definitely jerk yourself off about how the "fans won" though because Blizzard set up a villain and then revealed them as a villain who gets punished, which is storytelling 101.

It's as fucking stupid as the people who think the Burning of Teldrassil was meant to spite Nelf fans, instead of a multi-year campaign to reboot their culture and make them meaner (as well as a new city).
    Last edited by Nagawithlegs; 2020-08-13 at 06:48 PM.

The problem with Nathanos is that he's the writer's self-insert, and it's obvious.
    if that was true then why is he dead?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    if that was true then why is he dead?
    Because obviously he wasn't going to get any comeuppance for being rude and atagonistic, and was going to continue to bully players instead of getting defeated, and him being beaten was DAMAGE CONTROL because of Danuser's CRINGE TWITTER!

The fans fucking WON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    No shit it didn't resonate with the fanbase, the character wasn't meant to be liked or likeable. This is not a "fanbase empowering" move at all no matter how many people want to pat themselves on the back because Sylvanas and her goonies were destined to be raid bosses since Teldrassil. It's the same stupid shit as the people who swear that Sylvanas was going to get redeemed and her NOT being redeemed was "backpedaling" by Blizz.

You can definitely jerk yourself off about how the "fans won" though because Blizzard set up a villain and then revealed them as a villain who gets punished, which is storytelling 101.

It's as fucking stupid as the people who think the Burning of Teldrassil was meant to spite Nelf fans, instead of a multi-year campaign to reboot their culture and make them meaner (as well as a new city).
    Things can be one thing and also another, the world doesnt solely exist in Black or White.

A character can be liked for being written as a terrible person, like Joffrey from GoT or Umbridge from Harry Potter, neither of these are supposed to be likeable, but readers do enjoy them.

And Teldrassil wasnt necessarily made to spite the Nelves, and even with all the good intentions in the world there is no denying the fact that Blizzard kinda shat on them for no discernible reason. Like spending most of the time afterwards talking about how terrible this was for the Horde and how they promised the Horde would get a good story to justify this, almost completely ignoring the Nelves and the Alliance.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Because obviously he wasn't going to get any comeuppance for being rude and atagonistic, and was going to continue to bully players instead of getting defeated, and him being beaten was DAMAGE CONTROL because of Danuser's CRINGE TWITTER!

The fans fucking WON!!!!
    you mean the alliance won. again
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

For what it's worth, I somewhat enjoyed Nathanos as a character. He wasn't supposed to be likable. The only time his unlikability wasn't endearing was any time he interacted with Sylvanas, in my opinion. But ignoring that part of his character, his presence in BFA was pretty tolerable. But at the same time, I'm also happy that he dies, because he clearly had it coming.

I wouldn't say Nathanos was an excellent character, but I don't think he was as awful as people say.

Nathanos is only bad cause he really doesn't do much to the support the narrative outside of "Oh, he likes Sylvanas and will do anything for her, etc etc". It's boring. Sure, him antagonizing the player worked, but he himself has done nothing to support that shit talk outside of being a goon for...well...Sylvanas.

I already expressed my dislike for Nathanos' death (Which isn't the death itself, really. More like the fact that Tyrande just happens to be...there when she does it, even though she herself isn't in the fight). If Nathanos is going to be in the Maw anyways, why need a fully rendered Cinematic showcasing a false death that Tyrande will probably repeat (Or not? Depends how Blizzard handles this situation) a couple patches down SL?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    The worst pre-expansion event IMO is back and I am not happy at all. I think I won't be logging in during the event if this goes live.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=317411/...ands-pre-patch

- - - Updated - - -

Cool that old Scourge bosses are back.

its probably going to run for the entirety of the prerpatch. good luck.

Honestly, the problem with Nathanos can actually be talked about with a lot of WoW Villains. Guys that are supposed to feel more threatening than they are, but just feel like goons in the end. Like KJ, Gul'dan throughout 9.0, Azshara, Garrosh even, etc.

They're probably going to do the same with Sylvanas as well in SL.

Nathanos had no chance of being a good character the moment they decided to make his entire personality being a Sylvanas Simp/Stan.

Is it me or are the prepatch events just copy pastes of (mostly) ICC loot? Are they not even new recolours? Legion invasions were a new feature and they brought weapons that were previously unobtainable, recoloured sets and a currency for toys/pets.

Everything about this event seems pretty low effort so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoka View Post
    I'm afraid big boy words are going to fly right past you, so I keep it to really small and easily understandable ones. It's a fact, not an opinion, that only salty Night Elf players and people offended by Nathanos' "edginess" hate him.

I don't even know what you're talking about, this isn't up to debate seeing as it has been proven in just about any discussion about Nathanos (including this one, go read up Aeluron's comment) on MMO-champ and the WoW forums. Pay attention before you make laughable, would-be condescending comments.
    Calm down? Also, people hate Nathanos not because of that. They hate him cause a lot of he's not really a good character that affects the overall story in any way...

Quote Originally Posted by dcc626 View Post
    its probably going to run for the entirety of the prerpatch. good luck.
    The Zombie event lasted less than a week. Why do you think they'd do it the entire time?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I really like how new starting zone is disconnected from whole story (even Horde vs Alliance that could stop one day), they could put any potential new race here. They could even do squish again and make "newbie" path Exile's Reach (1-10) -> Shadowlands (10-50) -> 10.0 (50-60).

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    I really like how new starting zone is disconnected from whole story (even Horde vs Alliance that could stop one day), they could put any potential new race here. They could even do squish again and make "newbie" path Exile's Reach (1-10) -> Shadowlands (10-50) -> 10.0 (50-60).
    Pretty much. Though I somehow doubt that Shadowlands would fit as a 10-50 levelling area, no matter how neutered they make the story going into 10.0.

The game really could use a world revamp so 10-50 levelling has a similar evergreen levelling area to Exile's reach, allowing the endgame stories to fit more naturally at the end without having to think too hard about how things like the supposed all-out war in BfA, or who Sylvanas is in Shadowlands.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Pretty much. Though I somehow doubt that Shadowlands would fit as a 10-50 levelling area, no matter how neutered they make the story going into 10.0.

The game really could use a world revamp so 10-50 levelling has a similar evergreen levelling area to Exile's reach, allowing the endgame stories to fit more naturally at the end without having to think too hard about how things like the supposed all-out war in BfA, or who Sylvanas is in Shadowlands.
    Yep, I'm usually on "Cata style world revamp is waste of resources" camp, but evergreen EK/Kalimdor could make sense in long run, especially if we always would have choice to do some expac instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    That I think was the whole point of why they did it. Before it was kinda hard to just drop in a new race without doing some kind of starting area because the old ones were VERY specific you are x type of ork or x type of troll or an human from stormwind. With the one one they could just drop them in as it shouldn't disrupt the story at all. Or maybe be like hey new race crashed somehow on exiles reach and then joins horde or alliance type stuff. And yes I think thats kind of the plan also of after each expansion your new default leveling will be exiles reach+last expansion so you get some of the lead up to know what the next expansion people are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie081 View Post
    Is it me or are the prepatch events just copy pastes of (mostly) ICC loot? Are they not even new recolours? Legion invasions were a new feature and they brought weapons that were previously unobtainable, recoloured sets and a currency for toys/pets.

Everything about this event seems pretty low effort so far.
    Yeah looks rather bland. Seems like they didnt put this high on priority list. Oh well, it wont last that long though.

7+ Year Old Account
    so, any new mogs from the pre-patch? mount? something new?

giving the same ugly weapons from wtLK seems lame