10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    They're all too busy celebrating because the NRA won a court case in California that allows them to carry larger magazines. *shrug*

- - - Updated - - -

60,600 new cases, about 3k fewer than last week.

California: 10,316 new cases; 152 deaths
    Texas: 8,690 new cases; 233 deaths
    Florida: 6,148 new cases; 229 deaths
    Georgia: 3,227 new cases; 35 deaths
    Illinois: 2,296 new cases; 27 deaths
    Tennessee: 1,947 new cases; 13 deaths
    Missouri: 1,427 new cases; 11 deaths
    Louisiana: 1,298 new cases; 30 deaths
    Virginia: 1,216 new cases; 7 deaths
    Kansas: 1,192 new cases (new record); 4 deaths
    Ohio: 1,126 new cases; 28 deaths
    Nevada: 1,099 new cases; 15 deaths
    Indiana: 1,067 new cases; 8 deaths
    Wisconsin: 1,021 new cases; 7 deaths

California is still adding cases from the backlog as they said they would be and apparently it's going to be a long process as it all also has to go through at the county level to add demographic information. The problems with the system were so severe that it seems the state's Public Health director resigned as a result.

Florida hasn't gotten their shit together since packing up some temporary testing stations 2 weeks ago ahead of the storm, testing at about half what they were doing before then, so you can be sure their reported numbers aren't telling the full story. That's not stopping them from starting school on time, though. Fuck Florida.

Kansas is an odd one. Their reporting is, frankly, ridiculous. They seem to alternate daily between full and partial reports. Take their last five daily new cases numbers: 885, 93, 792, 123, 1192. The overall trend has definitely been increasing cases, but their silly reporting scheme is going to make it more difficult to pinpoint peaks and such.

Illinois also continues its slow increase. This isn't a new record for them, but it is the highest they've reached since May. This pattern is also present in several other states and is pretty representative of suburban spread, I think. When it hits cities it hits them hard and fast because everyone is packed together. Get it out into the suburbs and it appears to spreads slower...but it's seemingly inexorable. At any rate, cases are continuing overall to decline, but we see pretty clearly that it's still at threat in many areas.

Deaths were a bit lower than last week at 1,120, putting the US total at 171,535. Good chance we'll go back below 1k tomorrow as the weekend starts, but expect them to come right back up to 1k and above next week.

As has been pointed out by others, some schools have already started--and immediately packed back up because of outbreaks. Over 2,400 staff and students have either been infected or exposed in the past week or so, so that's gone swimmingly.

So, we've got COVID-19 still running rampant as we head into the school year, flu season approaching and probably the single most important election in our lifetimes while the post office is at its least reliable, meaning a lot of Americans are going to be forced to expose themselves and risk their health to exercise their right to vote. This TRUMP SHITSHOW needs to end, one way or another, before it ends us.

Stay safe, folks.
    When schools open up in Florida, it's going to be a nightmare scenario.

I'm really amazed that the polls are within 10 points and that Trump still has a chance to win. Biden should be winning by over 30 points, because this plague is a disaster of historic proportions. Conservatives have perhaps given Trump the biggest pass in American history.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    When schools open up in Florida, it's going to be a nightmare scenario.

I'm really amazed that the polls are within 10 points and that Trump still has a chance to win. Biden should be winning by over 30 points, because this plague is a disaster of historic proportions. Conservatives have perhaps given Trump the biggest pass in American history.
    Trumps approval is still up in the low 90% among republicans who make up some 30% of the country.

The election is and will always be somewhat close because red votes red and blue votes blue regardless of all other considerations. The only people who matter are a tiny portion of actual independents (not just embarrassed Republicans who still always vote red) and only those living in swing states.

So an election will always be somewhat close and the electoral collage only heightens this.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Trumps approval is still up in the low 90% among republicans who make up some 30% of the country.

The election is and will always be somewhat close because red votes red and blue votes blue regardless of all other considerations. The only people who matter are a tiny portion of actual independents (not just embarrassed Republicans who still always vote red) and only those living in swing states.

So an election will always be somewhat close and the electoral collage only heightens this.
    I understand that. I don't understand why 90% of Republicans support Trump given his performance as president. The economy is close to collapse, and the pandemic is raging out of control before flu season starts. He is incoherent and moronic in interviews, and he lies constantly. Why are Republicans still supporting him on this level? What Trump policy are Republican voters so enamored with that they're willing to die over? I am legitimately curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    If Trump does steal the election, I fully expect to see the secession of the blue states. It's a better option than another violent civil war.
    Which is the wet dream of comrade Putin. The whole Kremlin would be covered in spunk.

Try to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Best part is you can't even get a 2A nut to comment on it at all. All that boasting about protecting our rights and constitution...but mums the word for voting!!!
    That's because they are all hypocritical pussies that only want to terrorize people when it fits their agenda. They don't give a shit about anything other than THEIR 2nd amendment rights and THEIR freedoms. Fuck everyone and every thing else.

I understand that. I don't understand why 90% of Republicans support Trump given his performance as president. The economy is close to collapse, and the pandemic is raging out of control before flu season starts. He is incoherent and moronic in interviews, and he lies constantly. Why are Republicans still supporting him on this level? What Trump policy are Republican voters so enamored with that they're willing to die over? I am legitimately curious.
    2nd amendment. Thats it. ... Also, trolling tur lirbs!

10+ Year Old Account
    They believe the economy is doing good because they aren't being affected negatively by it. And if they are it's the Dem's fault for overreacting to Covid, which they believe isn't a threat. As for Trump's failure to look professional, they don't see it. I mean they literally don't see it. They will only see Biden's gaffs and site his stuttering as proof of his inability to be president. As for policy; keep guns safe, kick illegals(brown people) out, hurt Democrats in anyway, shit on other countries that don't tow the line, that kind of thing. Anything he does that could be seen as negative is just Liberals crying about nothing. If you bring up the deficit they'll just site Obama was the one who got it up to 19 Trillion. You bring up the tax cut for the rich, or the payroll tax deferment, they'll be happy because they think it puts money in their pocket.

I have literally stopped talking politics with anyone in my life who supports Trump. They aren't looking for a debate or trying to be informed about what's happening in the news. It's "My team vs your team." And just like with sports, their team is always the best. Until the team looses horribly and they get a new team, much like we saw with the Tea Party.

10+ Year Old Account
    They blame democrats and when it’s obviously inconvenient, like when Trump claimed covid was a hoax, they create conspiracy theories. Social media has a confirmation for every bias and since in modern times, the only honest media, is the one confirming your bias... I watched a flat earther claim that covid is showing the world getting flatter. That’s how...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why 90% of Republicans support Trump given his performance as president.
    It might be lower than 90%.

But also, even a failure in every way of a Republican can still appoint judges. They really want that RBG seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It might be lower than 90%.

But also, even a failure in every way of a Republican can still appoint judges. They really want that RBG seat.
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/...ald-trump.aspx

Scroll down a little until you get to approval by party affiliation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because for alot of them, they arent happy unless they feel someone else is miserable, everything is zerosum for them.
    ie. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be

so they only chance they have "to own the libs" is to vote Trump
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/...ald-trump.aspx

Scroll down a little until you get to approval by party affiliation.
    It makes sense though the party is smaller than ever their base is basically a cliche at this point. This is why the republican party has been unable to win a fair election in decades. It is a political party of a dying minority and as such only the most loyal of them are left, they only follow the tribe, that's one major feature of republicans they all fall in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It makes sense though the party is smaller than ever their base is basically a cliche at this point. This is why the republican party has been unable to win a fair election in decades. It is a political party of a dying minority and as such only the most loyal of them are left, they only follow the tribe, that's one major feature of republicans they all fall in line.
    There are also a lot of people that keep their support for Trump and conservative values secret for fear of being “canceled”.

According to the Cato Institute: Poll: 62% of Americans Say They Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

Most of those are on the right.

Well, if I supported someone who bragged about sexually assaulting women I wouldn't tell anyone either I guess.

Just pretend it isn't about Trump or politics. If you were hiring someone for a job and learned they liked people who did and said things Trump has, you'd probably immediately write them off.

For example, you need to hire an accountant and you learn an applicant likes to funnel other people's money into his own pocket. Or you need to hire someone to watch children and you learn they like to leave kids in cages.

There's at least several dozen jobs that if I were hiring for, I would never hire a Trump supporter because it would be reckless. Goes for other things too, of course. For example, I would never hire a babysitter for my kids if they were a Trump supporter. My pets either honestly. This applies to many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohu wa-bohu View Post
    There are also a lot of people that keep their support for Trump and conservative values secret for fear of being “canceled”.

According to the Cato Institute: Poll: 62% of Americans Say They Have Political Views They’re Afraid to Share

Most of those are on the right.
    Those are the independents that are just embarrassed Republicans who still always vote red, that I mentioned earlier.
    Tho I similarly suspect there are Democrats in Republican area's who are afraid to admit that towards Republican friends/colleagues

Those are the independents that are just embarrassed Republicans who still always vote red, that I mentioned earlier.
    Tho I similarly suspect there are Democrats in Republican area's who are afraid to admit that towards Republican friends/colleagues
    Independents makeup that number also, yes, but in the study:

(https)(www) cato (org/publications/survey-reports/poll-62-americans-say-they-have-political-views-theyre-afraid-share)

77% of "Strong Conservatives" feel they cannot say what they think.

The other issues with polling currently is that a lot of it is based on "likely voters". There are many people in the US, who do not like what is happening in the country and a lot of them are looking for "Law and Order" which does not really coincide with left leaning people (and by association Democrats) pushing to "defund" or "abolish" the police. These same people may not have voted before but get "activated" by seeing rioting in the news and increase in crime.

I think this election might have surprises for both the left and right.
    Last edited by Tohu wa-bohu; 2020-08-15 at 03:57 PM.

Independents makeup that number also, yes, but in the study:

(https)(www) cato (org/publications/survey-reports/poll-62-americans-say-they-have-political-views-theyre-afraid-share)

77% of "Strong Conservatives" feel they cannot say what they think.

The other issues with polling currently is that a lot of it is based on "likely voters". There are many people in the US, who do not like what is happening in the country and a lot of them are looking for "Law and Order" which does not really coincide with left leaning people (and by association Democrats) pushing to "defund" or "abolish" the police. These same people may not have voted before but get "activated" by seeing rioting in the news and increase in crime.

I think this election might have surprises for both the left and right.
    I assume that is the sort of group that the VP pick of Kamala Harris is supposed to appeal to.

I assume that is the sort of group that the VP pick of Kamala Harris is supposed to appeal to.
    Unjust imprisonment for slave labor is not the same thing as "Law and Order". She is another Neo-Liberal Corporatist that many on the left do not like, let alone on the right.
    Last edited by Tohu wa-bohu; 2020-08-15 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unjust imprisonment for slave labor is not the same thing as "Law and Order". She is another Neo-Liberal Corporatist that many on the left do not like... let alone on the right...
    And yet, most Democrats seem to think Harris is a fine pick, and following her announcement as VP, Dems had a massive money raising spree.

It's amusing how many new accounts come on here, all with the exact same talking points and buzzwords like "neo-liberal corporatist". It's almost as if ya'll had script to read from.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    And yet, most Democrats seem to think Harris is a fine pick, and following her announcement as VP, Dems had a massive money raising spree.

It's amusing how many new accounts come on here, all with the exact same talking points and buzzwords like "neo-liberal corporatist". It's almost as if ya'll had script to read from.
    I am not here to change your mind. I will not be voting in the election at all. But I know many that really dislike her, especially African Americans in CA.