Thread: SSD question

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SSD question

Hello all,

I am looking to add another ssd to my current build and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the MSI X470 gaming plus motherboard.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by myumsa View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking to add another ssd to my current build and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the MSI X470 gaming plus motherboard.

Thanks!
    What are you doing with your PC?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    What are you doing with your PC?
    Primarily used for gaming, I only have a 500gb ssd right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a Crucial MX500 or Sabrent Rocket depending on if you're fine with cables or not

Quote Originally Posted by myumsa View Post
    Primarily used for gaming, I only have a 500gb ssd right now.
    Crucial MX500 or Crucial P1. First one is a TLC SATA 2.5 inch SSD, second is a QLC M.2-2280 NVMe SSD. I suppose you're getting it to store your games, so there shouldnt be much of a speed difference for that. MX500 one is going to be more reliable imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Sabrent Rocket
    Why? QLC version is $15 more than than the P1, and the TLC version is $45 more. Doesnt make any sense.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? QLC version is $15 more than than the P1, and the TLC version is $45 more. Doesnt make any sense.
    Because QLC gets slower faster. I'd prefer sticking with TLC if possible

But the general consumer base will never notice or get to that point for the drive.

There's plenty of TLC stuff that's cheaper than the TLC Rocket. Also QLC doesnt get slower faster, they're just slower when cache is full on both, given that cache is built identically and has the same size. So it's more about cache than the memory cells, the fact that QLC is slower without the cache is kind irrelevant - both will slow down well below SATA3 speeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    But the general consumer base will never notice or get to that point for the drive.
    Oh, you definitely will, but you will most likely not notice any difference between QLC and TLC if your cache is full regardless of the kind of memory the drive has.

There's plenty of TLC stuff that's cheaper than the TLC Rocket. Also QLC doesnt get slower faster, they're just slower when cache is full on both, given that cache is built identically and has the same size. So it's more about cache than the memory cells, the fact that QLC is slower without the cache is kind irrelevant - both will slow down well below SATA3 speeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, you definitely will, but you will most likely not notice any difference between QLC and TLC if your cache is full regardless of the kind of memory the drive has.
    From playing games?

its not gonna stutter playing 8 years down the line, it will still load games fast, it will still stream texture data just fine, what data work load are you thinking of the OP will do? what do you think the general consumers will do?

I don't disagree with TLC does that from evidence but only at an extreme and general consumers are not data centres.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do not buy a SSD now. Wait a short period. There is a new one coming out thats gonna be a game changer...The new one used both SLC and QLC.

https://tomsfinds.com/fuzedrive/a100...acebook.com%2F
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    Do not buy a SSD now. Wait a short period. There is a new one coming out thats gonna be a game changer...The new one used both SLC and QLC.

I hope you're joking. There's a bunch of SSDs using SLC cache on the market right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    From playing games?

its not gonna stutter playing 8 years down the line, it will still load games fast, it will still stream texture data just fine, what data work load are you thinking of the OP will do? what do you think the general consumers will do?

I don't disagree with TLC does that from evidence but only at an extreme and general consumers are not data centres.
    It's really unlikely it will last 8 years but ok, that's beside the point. You would be suprised how much an average user gets into those "data center" tasks. I'm not saying that cache overfills happen everyday, but the reality is that it happens way more often than most people realize, and you need to be ready that your drive wont do the numbers that the reviews showcase on a cold, empty drive.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

lol get outta here with that Facebook paid advertisement hahaha

Samsung and Crucial remain the kings.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I just bought one from HP brand, more than 500mb/s in reading and copying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

HP ones are really good aswell

Wat. Crucial is really behind in NVMe SSD. Samsung is still the best but I bet their sales are dropping fast with all that rampage of SM2263-based TLC stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    No they're not dude, sorry.

15+ Year Old Account

Saw it on Toms not Facebook
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

10+ Year Old Account
    But your link is from facebook. It's literally in the URL. At the end. The referrer=Facebook means you got it from Facebook and they're making money on it. You can also look earlier in the URL and see Source=Facebook, which again, means you got the link from Facebook.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It literally says "Facebook" in your link.

Trust me, that's a paid advertisement from an unproven brand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Toms is short for tomshardware.com, not tomsfinds...
    Actually I saw this "tomsfinds" thing the other day when I saw the exact SSD he posted... paid ad...

Don't trust it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    Nope.

They're okay but Samsung and Crucial are better, for the past decade or so...

- - - Updated - - -

Wat. Crucial is really behind in NVMe SSD. Samsung is still the best but I bet their sales are dropping fast with all that rampage of SM2263-based TLC stuff.
    Yeah, the first released PCI-E 4.0 ones are trassssh. Smart consumers won't buy them. Unfortunately too many people won't pay attention to those and just see "OH, RYZEN 3000 SUPPORTS IT SO HAH LOL INTEL LOSERS GET SOMETHING SLOWER" when really they are hardly faster in anything meaningful lol

Yes, Crucial is a little behind in NVMe, but I still value SATA SSDs, since so few motherboards support all that many NVMe cards.

I've got a couple Samsung NVMe SSDs and like 3 Crucial SATA SSDs in my computer now and love it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Crucials MX500 is good, avoid the BX version.
    https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500...-174-_-Product

I like the Adata Su800, avoid the new 740 model as it has no dram.
    https://www.newegg.com/adata-ultimat...-018-_-Product
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBQ637W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If you're looking for an NVME I like the Sx8200 Pro
    https://www.amazon.com/XPG-SX8200-Ge...tronics&sr=1-2

Always check to see if the drive you're buying has a dram cache. Spend the extra cash and get the nicer drive. The cost savings going from a Su740 to an su800 or a Bx500 to an mx500 is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Yeah, I was just pointing out the “Tom’s” that’s respected is a different site than the one he was linking.
    Tomshardware Germany is respected, Tomshardware US is utter garbage that isnt respected anywhere that matters.

it’s the same company.
    Same company very different main editors, one is a respected tech journalist the other is a "Just buy it" shill that is known for running adverts as reviews.

Its well known that the German branch has nothing to do with the US branch aside from being owned by the same main company and having the same name.