Thread: Dark Runes

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Healer here. If I dont get em all, I dont go and find, or make a group that doesnt care. Its the only reason to do Scholo for me and another group will come around. When I make the group, anyone opposed is kicked and replaced. DPS are a dime a dozen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back when I was playing I rolled need on Dark Runes and never complained if others did likewise. I also gave any health potions I looted to the tank cause I didn't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    If hes not in my guild.... he doesn't get to just gobble up valuable loot drops "because". Yeah, itll benefit him more in a raid - a raid im not doing with him, so .. .no.

Its a valuable BoE.

Everyone gets to roll.
    If you equate everything down to gold, then rolling need on items to DE and vendor them should be fair game in your groups, no?

If you're not in my guild, you getting items has no benefit to me, after all.

As a healer I would ask if it was ok I need on all of them. But if another caster did the same I would let it go. I wouldn't demand its all mine or I am out sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    If you equate everything down to gold, then rolling need on items to DE and vendor them should be fair game in your groups, no?

If you're not in my guild, you getting items has no benefit to me, after all.
    There are levels of good. BoEs can be freely converted into gold and traded on the AH, BoPs cannot.

Saving a few gold benefits everyone nearly equally. DEing (or vendoring) a BoP item is a small benefit, but actually needing on a BoP is a much greater benefit, and one that typically cannot be acquired any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by skulmar View Post
    There are levels of good. BoEs can be freely converted into gold and traded on the AH, BoPs cannot.

Saving a few gold benefits everyone nearly equally. DEing (or vendoring) a BoP item is a small benefit, but actually needing on a BoP is a much greater benefit, and one that typically cannot be acquired any other way.
    Again, if your argument is that you can be as selfish as you want, because the players needing on dark runes arent in your guild/raids, then you shouldn't have any problem with anyone needing on anything for vendor or DE purposes, wether they're bop, boe, bis or w/e

This is the general misunderstanding and easily fixable by mentioning beforehand who gets them. Them going to the healer by default would mean that they get used during that run, which is of course not happening, they are just free consumables.
    And there are plenty of healers who just take them only to put them on AH after the run.
    They are valuable, not healer specific and also used in professions.
    It's not random people's respinsibility to get a random healer raid consumables. Want raid consumables? Then get your guild to help you or form your cancerous reserved group.
    Last edited by kranur; 2020-08-15 at 06:45 PM.

Again, if your argument is that you can be as selfish as you want, because the players needing on dark runes arent in your guild/raids, then you shouldn't have any problem with anyone needing on anything for vendor or DE purposes, whether they're bop, boe, bis or w/e
    Neither I nor the person you initially quoted actually said that though.

There is a world of difference between saying it isn't my responsibility to farm raid consumables for a stranger and saying that it is ok to act 100% selfishly all the time.

Again, if your argument is that you can be as selfish as you want, because the players needing on dark runes arent in your guild/raids, then you shouldn't have any problem with anyone needing on anything for vendor or DE purposes, wether they're bop, boe, bis or w/e
    The thing is with boe vs bop. I find it hard to believe that if an expensive boe drops that is an upgrade for someone in the raid, everyone will just pass it to him

Quote Originally Posted by skulmar View Post
    I recently had a bad experience in Scholomance where someone demanded that they get all of the dark runes, and if we didn't capitulate they would ninja all of the gear. They were obviously immediately kicked and replaced, but when I mentioned the incident in guild chat I was told that if they had been a healer (they weren't) this behavior would have been perfectly acceptable, as healers are supposed to get all of the runes. Which made me wonder, why?

First off, anyone with a mana bar can make use of them.
    Second, they are BoE (and sell for 5-10g).
    Third, they are used as reagents for numerous pieces of crafted gear, as well as being required for the tier .5 quest chain.

So then, why would healers get priority? The best answer anyone in my guild could give me is because it is harder for healers to farm, and so they deserve the extra gold; but if that is the case, why does it only apply in Scholomance, and why shouldn't the tank also get extra rewards?

Anyone able to explain this rule to me?
    1. Anyone can use them, but it's the healers that have the biggest need for them. Basically any other mana user can also farm demonic runes fairly easily, healers really can't. I dare say that most healers who run Scholomance do it purely for the Dark Runes, can't say the same for the others "with a mana bar". It's very common courtesy at least in the groups I see on Gehennas that Dark Runes are reserved for the healer.

2. True, but you can also vendor the BoP weapons etc. from bosses for same 5-10g. Would you do that? Needing them for "AH spec" is just a dick move if there are others (usually the healer) with a legitimate use for them.

3. In this case, I would say that ppl who will actually use them for the crafts can Need with the healer. Then again, a warlock who needs the Runed Stygian stuff for example can just go farm gold 150g/hr and buy them. It would be absolutely dumb to grind Scholomance for them.

TBH it's quite ridiculous if any DPS player gets mad for a healer Needing on Dark Runes, or having them reserved. It doesn't only apply in Scholomance, a lot of people tend to give Major Mana Potions from dungeons to healers too. They are roughly worth the same I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Healer here. If I dont get em all, I dont go and find, or make a group that doesnt care. Its the only reason to do Scholo for me and another group will come around. When I make the group, anyone opposed is kicked and replaced. DPS are a dime a dozen.
    And I'm fairly sure most healers do Scholomance exactly for the same reason, to get few Dark Runes.

Holy crap at these people basically moaning about how they don't want to help strangers. That's just... absolutely retail attitude.

I don't know if it has been said because i haven't read all the posts, but one of the main reasons to pass to healers is because healers can't farm ANYTHING as easily as other classes. Other classes can farm the BOP ones and such with ease, so i feel it's nice to pass to those who keep you alive and can't farm for themselves

How many blizzard employees does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, its working as intended!

It's not a BoE worth hundreds of gold, which everyone should roll on.

It's standard to pass them to the healer, and it's not a big deal, is the long and short of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    And I'm fairly sure most healers do Scholomance exactly for the same reason, to get few Dark Runes.

Holy crap at these people basically moaning about how they don't want to help strangers. That's just... absolutely retail attitude.
    Im not moaning, Im just stating a fact. Being a healer, with 1000 +healing, in 5mans, where I dont need any gear, is helping strangers. There wont be any hiccups I cant overcome, making for a smooth ride to free gear. All I need is some runes

Dark runes are a scam. You can get demonic runes easily farming satyrs in azshara. That being said, it should be the tank's decision. Lots of people have alts they can farm with, some don't. To me, giving the healer all the dark runes establishes a connection. A form of faith and good will. So if we are to wipe or the group is going slow etc the healer is much more likely to stay, and may even use those dark runes during the run. I do the same with mana pots even though I have a 60 shaman, if I'm on my warrior and I have mana pots and I'm in a dungeon group, I'll give them to the healer. Anything to make the healer's life better is a quality of life improvement for everyone imo.

Its a group effort to get the dark rune, AND its BOE. Everyone should have a fair shot at getting the dark rune, or the equivalent in gold if they AH it (which they can use to buy better equipment or other consumables that are actually useful for them)

If its BOP, then sure, it should go to whoever immediately needs it. But BOE = fair game for everyone IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Im not moaning, Im just stating a fact. Being a healer, with 1000 +healing, in 5mans, where I dont need any gear, is helping strangers. There wont be any hiccups I cant overcome, making for a smooth ride to free gear. All I need is some runes
    Sorry, the last line wasn't aimed at you, but a general notion about the replies here.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    as a healer, a very well geared healer at that, i wouldnt go unless the dark runes were reserved for me. There is no legitimate reason any legitimate DPS class in classic wow should need a dark rune

Bonus LOLs to all the hunters in here pretending like they need them, what a joke.

Wtf is going on in classic? In vanilla this was never an issue. Nobody cared enough about dark runes in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Nevardcire View Post
    Wtf is going on in classic? In vanilla this was never an issue. Nobody cared enough about dark runes in the first place
    No one really cared about much in Vanilla - it was all new and weird and exciting, for the most part, and for most people. This was always the "issue" with classic compared to Vanilla - entitlement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    as a healer, a very well geared healer at that, i wouldnt go unless the dark runes were reserved for me. There is no legitimate reason any legitimate DPS class in classic wow should need a dark rune

Bonus LOLs to all the hunters in here pretending like they need them, what a joke.
    If you are so geared, why do you need them? Or do you simply consider it payment for your services?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post

Pretending they need them? You DO need them otherwise you will oom on Chrom and Nef (unless you have a very high dps guild). How is that hard to understand? Healers thinking they're the only role in the game that uses mana is a joke.