Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Auto-pilot option?

Should games include an auto-pilot function?

For example, with the Witcher 3. I love the artwork, music, ambience, dialogue, voice acting, story, cinematics of the game; but I dislike actually playing it and find combat tedious. Bought the game last December and haven't played more than 5 hours.

Currently considering on just watching somebody play through the game in Youtube, but it would be cool if games also offered a built-in "cinematic only" mode. You would see the game being played and just enjoy it like a visual experience and then be able to disable it to join at a certain moment that you want to play on your own.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-08-16 at 08:04 PM.

If you dislike combat, just use cheats and turn on massive damage and invincibility and just curbstomp battles immediately so you can get on with the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post

For example, with the Witcher 3. I love the artwork, music, ambience, dialogue, voice acting, story, cinematics of the game; but I dislike actually playing it and find combat tedious. Bought the game last December and haven't played more than 5 hours.

Currently considering on just watching somebody play through the game in Youtube, but it would be cool if games also offered a built-in "cinematic only" mode. You would see the game being played and just enjoy it like a visual experience and then be able to disable it to join at a certain moment that you want to play on your own.

What are your thoughts?
    Part of playing the game is, uh, playing it... If you don't like playing it then just go and watch gameplay videos.

Download Godville for your phone, its a game you occasionally check in on your hero while he goes off on adventures.

Or save yourself a few bucks and just watch the cinematics on YouTube.

Games are meant to be played as much as watched, tedious combat and all.

It seems like the option you want is already there, and you don't have to buy the game. Just watch a stream playthrough.

I did the same with Witcher 1 and 2 because they were so archaic I hated the controls and combat systems.

Seems like A LOT of work for something that defeats that core purpose of a game... especially when it comes to exploration games such as Witcher that has tons of side stuff to do... it's not feasible. Why not just watch someone else play? It's what I do with games I want to experience but not necessarily play through myself.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Currently considering on just watching somebody play through the game in Youtube,

What are your thoughts?
    you already have your answer.

Sounds like you want movies and not games.

3+ Year Old Account
    Uh dude, if you do not control the character yourself, you are basically watching a video.

So go to youtube and do just that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you dislike combat, just use cheats and turn on massive damage and invincibility and just curbstomp battles immediately so you can get on with the rest of the game.
    Cheats are a rare thing in 2020.

- - - Updated - - -

People in this chat act like they never seen games with casual/narrative/story mode.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

What are your thoughts?
    Im pretty sure we already have that... its called YouTube.. also saves you 40-70 bucks... why are you posting this idiotic idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Im pretty sure we already have that... its called YouTube.. also saves you 40-70 bucks... why are you posting this idiotic idea?
    I would actually buy games if they had this option. Currently I just buy games and never play past 3-5 hours. I think I have around 7 games from Steam like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recommend Bayonetta, Astral Chain, and Nier: Automata. They come with autoplay modes to begin with (I'm not joking, the lowest difficulty setting in those games will literally play the majority of the combat for you).

Edit(I realized my initial response didn't really answer the question you were asking): I don't think games should necessarily come with it, with the exception being games that have an extremely high difficulty ceiling, in which case the only way you could see really cool combos are via automatic play or watching someone else play it. Bayonetta and the DMC series being notable examples, they're willing to hold your hand while still slightly mocking you for it.

Games that just have boring gameplay have a core problem: The gameplay sucks. This is also why I don't enjoy the Witcher games, the gameplay is so off-putting I can't get through it for the story (not that I found the story particularly compelling in any of the games either, so it was mediocre story+terrible gameplay). I can't get through any of the Dragon Age series either, even though I actually like the story in Dragon Age. The combat just feels all sorts of wrong, but turning the difficulty to minimum somehow makes it even less enjoyable than getting my ass kicked by mechanics that are poorly explained.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2020-08-16 at 11:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Its called "Lets play".

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Part of playing the game is, uh, playing it... If you don't like playing it then just go and watch gameplay videos.
    to add to this post: and save money from not buying the game you dont intend to play.

- - - Updated - - -

I would actually buy games if they had this option. Currently I just buy games and never play past 3-5 hours. I think I have around 7 games from Steam like that.
    then you might recheck your buying habits. if you dont like to be involved in the game, then maybe gaming isnt for you. maybe you should let say watch movies or maybe even watch streamers instead of buying something that requires you to do something you dont like. I too, dont buy painting material and make a thread about "why there is no painter with my paint material I just bought".

There's lots of video's of full plays on YouTube. Look for those with a no commentary tag.

I watch them for most of the horror games, since the anxiety I get playing one is not enjoyable.

Though it's not exactly what you are looking for, since I imagine you some measure of control when it comes to in game choices, but it's close.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What are your thoughts?
    My thoughts are, you could just watch a playthrough on Youtube.

I'm sorry you feel that way OP, as many people have said there's always the youtube option. I do think however that good games find ways to weave the gameplay into the story experience that passive media simply cannot (it is theoretically the great strength of the media after all) and simply watching the story on youtube diminishes that experience,

You do you, however.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    I can't get through any of the Dragon Age series either, even though I actually like the story in Dragon Age. The combat just feels all sorts of wrong, but turning the difficulty to minimum somehow makes it even less enjoyable than getting my ass kicked by mechanics that are poorly explained.
    DA:O is basically a modern (for the time) sexy NWN/KotOR engine game so you're going to be taking a long walk off a short pier arguing that system is bad with video game fans.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't want to play the game, then just watch it on Youtube. I'm sure you can find exactly what you're looking for there.

Then you do not like the game.

Video games entirely exist to facilitate gameplay; the mechanism of play. There is not even a secondary or tertiary consideration. Gameplay is the singular goal of a video game. They can not exist, be made or played without gameplay.

If playing the game in any capacity is not enjoyable to you, then you do not enjoy the game. No harm, no foul. Just play another game or read a synopsis to get the gist of what went down.