Question Can both thunderfury bindings drop without starting the quest?

Hey, I have a question for people that have successfully farmed Thunderfury:

Can both of the bindings drop regardless of whether you've started the quest?

Once my main got one half to drop, I started the quest, which of course tells you to get the other half. Once I saw how the quest was going to go (I'd never looked into Thunderfury before) it occurred to me that I could just throw the sword bearing members of the alt army at it, and now that I have the enchanted bars alliance side, just mail it to whoever got both first, and have them complete the quest.

I now have a bunch of characters with one binding or the other, so I know either can drop pre-quest. I'd just like to confirm that both can drop pre-quest.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Yes they can

15+ Year Old Account
    Can also confirm they can.
    I farmed them both first and then started the quest.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Thanks gang! I assumed as much, but before I entered a potentially months-long RNG lottery I thought I'd make sure!

Thanks gang! I assumed as much, but before I entered a potentially months-long RNG lottery I thought I'd make sure!
    If you're using alts it shouldn't take that long,I was running my main and alts through for mogs and ended up with 4 Thunderfuries and 3 of the 2H mace from Rags.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    If you're using alts it shouldn't take that long,I was running my main and alts through for mogs and ended up with 4 Thunderfuries and 3 of the 2H mace from Rags.
    RNG is RNG. Running alts doesnt help his main get a TF..

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    You are right of course,but my main got one of each anyway ,but as you say rng is rng and I still don't have the Seedpouch off Fandrel. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    You are right of course,but my main got one of each anyway ,but as you say rng is rng and I still don't have the Seedpouch off Fandrel. :/
    In shadowlands you can use the barber to choose your druid forms, Including the fire kitty if you've looted fandrals scythe
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    In shadowlands you can use the barber to choose your druid forms, Including the fire kitty if you've looted fandrals scythe
    Excellent,still need the mount off Rags though,so the alt slaughterfest will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    It does if all I really care about is the transmog!

I farmed Molten Core pretty regularly on my shaman back in the day, ironically because I wanted to get Sulfuras on it, and eventually ended up with both bindings in my bank. I still have them and I've never begun the quest.

Nowadays I'm actually working on crafting another Sulfuras for my warlock just to test if the felguard can wield it with the glyph now that legendary items can be transmogged. I thankfully already got the eye, so the only thing left is gathering arcane crystals for arcanite bars which is still somewhat of a pain to farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I have a question for people that have successfully farmed Thunderfury:

Once my main got one half to drop, I started the quest, which of course tells you to get the other half. Once I saw how the quest was going to go (I'd never looked into Thunderfury before) it occurred to me that I could just throw the sword bearing members of the alt army at it, and now that I have the enchanted bars alliance side, just mail it to whoever got both first, and have them complete the quest.

I now have a bunch of characters with one binding or the other, so I know either can drop pre-quest. I'd just like to confirm that both can drop pre-quest.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
    They can drop without the quest.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..