Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/423...58WXwPE4FrMYrs

Trump is trying to say our current surge here in New Zealand is really bad. It's... not. Yeah it sucks that we've had to put our biggest city back under lockdown but it seems like we've caught it early enough to keep it under control.
    Neat. I hope you maintain it under control. It seems that NZ is the country to look up to in this trying times.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    So while the Democratic convention is running, Trump is running his mouth and naturally Politifact will have none of it.

1) Trump made multiple claims about employment which, well, might have been true in 2019. Problem is, it's 2020. Trump claimed he added 15,000 manufacturing jobs to Wisconsin and Wisconsin actually lost that many since Trump took office.

2) Trump claimed, with regards to COVID-19, "Our numbers are better than almost all countries" which is just ridiculous.

3) Trump also said he caused the biggest tax decrease in history. This is still false. He did, however, create the biggest (nominal) tax increase in history -- the tariffs in his failed trade war with China.

4) This gem:

Any farmers here, did I do a good job for you please?...I don’t hear any farmers complaining. We did a good job.
    Wisconsin lost 818 dairy farms in 2019.

Wisconsin led the nation in farm bankruptcies in 2019.

Trump lost the trade war. Wisconsin farmers were on the front lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

4) This gem:

Wisconsin lost 818 dairy farms in 2019.

Wisconsin led the nation in farm bankruptcies in 2019.

Trump lost the trade war. Wisconsin farmers were on the front lines.
    Ya know, with all of the farmers being left without a job, we could fucking finally start to make lab grown meat an (industrial) reality, as they wouldnt have so much bargaining power.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN25E00X

So I guess pardons are now basically marketing events for Trump. WHO WILL IT BE? GOTTA HYPE UP THAT DISTRACTION FROM THE DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION!

The lizard part of my brain is saying he's going to pull the ultimate troll and pardon Obama for "spying on his campaign".
    It's Flynn.
    They haven't been able to dismiss the case against him

Edit: Oh apparently it's not.

... What if Trump was pardoning himself?
    Last edited by Belize; 2020-08-18 at 11:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silveth View Post
    In the beginning it was his fault for being racist for putting in travel restrictions to try to slow the spread. A month later it was his fault for not putting in more travel restrictions to try to slow the spread.
    Uhm... the travel ban was for Chines nationals only... It didn’t stop everyone else from traveling to and from China. After all, why would Trump take a hoax seriously. Covid isn’t spread by Chines nationals exclusively...

Do you know what Trump brother’s cause of death was? You think Trump would hide the cause of his brother’s death for political gain?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Can he pardon Assange or is he in British custody?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You know . . . just when I thought 2020 couldn't be stupider . . .
    Putin khuliyo

Can someone explain to me how covid is not a big deal so we don't need to wear masks, but also Trump is amazing for dealing with covid since its a big deal?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Can someone explain to me how covid is not a big deal so we don't need to wear masks, but also Trump is amazing for dealing with covid since its a big deal?
    One is for the public, the other is for his cult. The goal is the same... keep Trump properties open...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    The pardon is even dumber than I thought I'd be.

At least my list was narrowed to people who haven't been dead for close to 115 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Susan B. Anthony. The women behind him all laughed when he announced it. The pandering is coming out in full force, as if women care whether Susan B. Anthony gets a pardon.
    Suburban housewives... Not women...

10+ Year Old Account
    So I was talking about the Democrat's convention last night with and old friend and, man, I hate to post what we discussed. Not because I disagree, but because I hate it when he's more right than I am.

But before we start, a picture is worth a thousand words. How effective was Team Biden last night? This effective:

That's FOX News' front page last night when it was all over. Every story circled in blue is from the convention. The last article is Trump tweeting about the convention. Even FOX News couldn't handwave this.

But here's where it gets brutal. Where, last night, was all the glitz and glamor? Where were the balloons dropping from the ceiling? The pumping early 2000's music that old people assume is still hip and cool and down daddy-O? The walls of monitors linked up with swooping swooshing logos and images?

Basically...where was the Trump?

There wasn't any.

Because the Democrats don't have compensate for their lame-ass limp-dick IMPOTUS performance.

This isn't 2016, where the Democrats have to deal with a sudden surprise of a snake-oil salesman made out of unkeepable promises and TV reality drama. This is 2020, where the faults of an incompetent government are being carried through the streets in body bags. Americans are unemployed, Americans are sick or taking significant steps to avoid being sick, Americans are broke, and in too many cases, Americans are angry that they're being shot or arrested without cause, while statues of full-on traitors are being defended more than they are.

Americans are tired of winning.

So what did the Democrats bring? Some of the biggest names in the "business" laying out the case that what we're seeing now isn't working, and it's time...not for a "change" so much as "putting someone competent back in charge". So it was hours of basically explaining what Trump did wrong and why Biden's decades of experience with exactly this kind of thing, using specific examples and other evidence.

Adding to that, Biden has been grieving with America. Leaving aside the funerals Biden has attended in the last year, Biden knows too well the grief of losing a close family member to illness.

Basically, 2020 could not possibly be a better year for Biden. Trump might still want fireworks and pretty colors and people to point at him and clap their hands, but not only is that horrifically off-tone, not even Jacksonville is having that shit. And Trump showed all the same emotion for the recent death of his brother as if someone had dropped a taco bowl on his desk, so it'll be impossible for that sociopath to capitalize on it, intentionally or otherwise.

Trump can't run on his record. It would be hard enough if this was 2019, now it's 2020 and the best he can do is "the lifeboats of the Titanic saved more people than any other rescue!"

My friend, a recovering Republican, says that his former party is going to attack the Democrats for having no energy because, well, there's nothing less they can say. They have plans, they have an on-topic message, they have everyone from Sanders to Kasich speaking out, they're raising the right amount of money from the right people, and they have, again, decades of experience combined with proven sympathy. He said the Democrats nailed everything perfectly for the time the convention was held.

Basically, by running a quiet, but ruthlessly effective campaign, Biden is a stealth bomber -- the kind of plane Trump thinks is invisible. Trump is trying to be Blue Angels but can't get a noise permit.

And this was day one.

Expect a tweetstorm, it's only going to get more brutal, and Trump is about to have a golden stream of his lack of record pour all over his face.

So did Trump pardon someone famous for working to get people the vote, while simultaneously working as hard as he can to deny as many people as possible their vote in the upcoming election?
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-08-18 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So did Trump pardon someone famous for working to get people the vote, while simultaneously working as hard as he can to deny as many people their vote in the upcoming election?
    Yes, that's 100% what he did.

God, only Trump could screw this up. What could have been a big moment for women's rights is now a cheap ploy, forever stained orange.

In its thousand page report released just now, ENDORSED BY REPUBLICANS, the Senate intelligence committee offers a raft of damning evidence of the Trump campaign’s eager acceptance of help from a foreign power during the 2016 campaign.
    https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/s...789548555?s=19

Even the complicit Republicans agree Trump tried to seek foreign aid. Now we can add the interference of covering up this assistance.

Hey does it matter anymore?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Even the complicit Republicans agree Trump tried to seek foreign aid.
    Yes, but it's okay that he did, because Obama caught him while spying on his campaign for working with foreign powers. If you're spied on for doing something wrong, that makes it okay for doing that something wrong you were spied on for.

...did I get that right?

...did I get that right?
    No, you forgot the "and I should get a do-over on this whole term because of it" part.

looks lik collusion clearly existed
    but the average american dosent have the timespan to care or understand so i guess it dosent matter

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...23474045083648

So I was talking about the Democrat's convention last night with and old friend and, man, I hate to post what we discussed. Not because I disagree, but because I hate it when he's more right than I am.

But before we start, a picture is worth a thousand words. How effective was Team Biden last night? This effective:
    I was listening to the speeches (not watching).

They were good.
    There were powerful.

Bernie knocked it out of the park. And he was the perfect set up for Michelle Obama, who did even better. Did I mention that I think that Michelle Obama would make a great President?

Democrats did a great job of combining two kind of conflicting messages. Number 1 is that Trump has really degraded the United States. And two, the US can return to being a decent normal country if democrats are put back in charge. Michelle Obama did a GREAT job of reminding people that being decent and nice are not naive stupid things to be. And that being decent and nice is not incompatible with standing up to the incompetence and corruption of Trump.

Basically, democrats have to show, by example, how to deal with a bully. The election season will be brutal, but that does not mean losing our humanity. And it means fighting Trump and Trump supporters with every bit of energy we can muster.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-08-18 at 03:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Yes, that's 100% what he did.

God, only Trump could screw this up. What could have been a big moment for women's rights is now a cheap ploy, forever stained orange.
    A pardon for deliberate civil disobedience seems dumb in the first place. Anthony was breaking the law on purpose, because it was a bad law. There is no point in pardoning her for it, what needed to be done was change the stupid law. Which we did in 1920. This was a really dumb gesture, done in the most spectacularly tone deaf way possible, since he used that same address to discredit a valid method of voting AND attack a woman for the crime of not liking him enough (Michelle Obama in this case, but he does it to everyone).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    what needed to be done was change the stupid law. Which we did in 1920
    Well that sounds a lot like the BLM protests going on right now. Which Trump opposes.