Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Senate Intelligence Committee Rport Details Russian Interference and Collussion

It was comically obvious from day one. But people acting in bad faith will still try to cover it up. Or distract with whataboutttisms.

Bipartisan Senate report details Trump campaign contacts with Russia in 2016
    The Senate Intelligence Committee released Tuesday the most comprehensive and meticulous examination to date explaining how Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election and the Trump campaign welcomed the foreign adversary's help, revealing new information about contacts between Russian officials and associates of President Donald Trump during and after the campaign.
    In several key ways, the committee's counterintelligence investigation goes beyond the findings of former special counsel Robert Mueller released last year, as the Republican-led Senate panel was not limited by questions of criminality that drove the special counsel probe.
    Among the key findings:
    • That then-campaign chairman Paul Manafort was working with Konstantin Kilimnik, a Russian intelligence officer, and sought to share internal campaign information with Kilimnik. The committee says it obtained "some information suggesting Kilimnik may have been connected" to Russia's 2016 hacking operation.
    • That Trump and senior campaign officials sought to obtain advance information on WikiLeaks' email dumps through Roger Stone, and that Trump spoke to Stone about WikiLeaks, despite telling the special counsel in written answers he had "no recollections" that they had spoken about it.
    • That Russian-government actors continued until at least January 2020 to spread disinformation about Russia's election interference, and that Manafort and Kilimnik both sought to promote the narrative that Ukraine, and not Russia interfered in the 2016 election.

The report is all the more remarkable because it was led by then-Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr, a North Carolina Republican, and Democratic Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia. The report provides an exhaustive, bipartisan confirmation of the contacts between Russians and Trump associates in 2016 -- and it was the only congressional committee that managed to avoid the partisan infighting that plagued the other congressional investigations into Russian election meddling.
    It comes at a time when the intelligence community has warned that Russia is once again seeking to interfere in the US presidential and Trump has continued to try to undermine Russia investigation findings and prosecutions during his reelection campaign.

Senate Intelligence Committee report concludes Paul Manafort was a "grave counterintelligence threat" to the Trump campaign who worked with people with ties to to Russia's government before and after the election.

Senate report concludes Wikileaks "likely knew it was assisting a Russian intelligence influence effort" by publishing hacked Democratic emails during the 2016 campaign.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    And with this, the "Obama spied" narrative comes to a much-deserved end. Even if Obama went rogue and broke dozens of laws -- which no, I don't think he did -- but even if he did, the House, the Senate, and every US Intel agency now all agree: Trump was either a Russian asset or lobbying to become one.

At best for Trump, Obama went all vigilante on someone who was guilty. At worst, he was caught red-handed in every sense of the phrase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And with this, the "Obama spied" narrative comes to a much-deserved end. Even if Obama went rogue and broke dozens of laws -- which no, I don't think he did -- but even if he did, the House, the Senate, and every US Intel agency now all agree: Trump was either a Russian asset or lobbying to become one.

At best for Trump, Obama went all vigilante on someone who was guilty. At worst, he was caught red-handed in every sense of the phrase.
    Then the multiple times that Trump even admitted to collusion. It's the same guy that just admitted to fucking over US Postal.
    Government Affiliated Snark

I recently started watching "The Americans" for the first time (pretty great show btw). Although this is in no way a documentary about operations of Russian agents within the US, the nature of the interactions between the KGB and their targets is not entirely fantastical and reminds me just how easy it can be for an American, even one without traitorous intentions, to become a threat to our national security. The investigation into Trump's campaign was entirely justified. History will continue to prove this to be the case as more is revealed about the entanglement of interests between Trump and Russia.

"There was no collusion! Trump and his team were just unbelievable ignorant, and lucky!"

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

I thought conspiracy theories were taboo on this forum. Oh, I forgot...this particular conspiracy theory is the darling of deluded liberals...so it must be OK.
    "Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavageFan View Post
    I thought conspiracy theories were taboo on this forum. Oh, I forgot...this particular conspiracy theory is the darling of deluded liberals...so it must be OK.
    This thread is about an official government Senate Intelligence Committee report. The fact that YOU don't see the difference between that and something posted on reddit by qanon isn't OUR fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you prefer that your president is dumb enough to unknowingly play straight into their hands, with his team actively helping them to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's conspiratorial about that statement? The Trump family publicly bragged about getting "alternative" financing from Russia in the 2000's, and have had development plans for a Trump Hotel in Moscow and Azerbaijan. Trump also is blacklisted from all domestic investment banks for large loans, and only has demand deposit accounts in Citibank & Capital One.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Man, imagine having House Democrats, Senate Republicans, and the intelligence community agree on how compromised the Trump campaign was and how willing they were to receive foreign assistance, and still arguing about conspiracy theories.

Sadly, as Republicans have firmly indicated, nothing really matters anymore, especially not the law. Because there are no consequences for anyone in this administration, even for demonstrably lying to Congress under oath.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't sound like a defense. That sounds like you take issue with the House, the Senate, and every single US Intel agency saying something and taking it out on...me, for some reason.

Perhaps you'd care to try again and post on topic? It's not like the report is difficult to find. See, here's an example:

A Senate Intelligence Committee report released Tuesday detailed significant ties between Russia and the 2016 Trump campaign, particularly with former campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

The fifth volume of the panel's much anticipated report, which is more than 950 pages long, examined "Counterintelligence Threats and Vulnerabilities” during the high-profile election race and marks the end to a sprawling investigation that began in January 2017.

Among the probe's newest revelations is that Konstantin V. Kilimnik, an associate of Manafort's, was a "Russian intelligence officer." Manafort's contacts also posed a “grave counterintelligence threat,” according to the report.

"Manafort hired and worked increasingly closely with a Russian national, Konstantin Kilimnik. Kilimnik is a Russian intelligence officer," reads the report.

The Senate committee said it also obtained information that suggested Kilimnik was possibly connected to the Russian intelligence service's 2016 hack and leak operation.

"Manafort worked with Kilimnik starting in 2016 on narratives that sought to undermine evidence that Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. election," the report added.
    That took literally sixty seconds to find, cut and paste. Granted I have teh mad skillz yo, but you're no slouch on these forums. I'm sure you could find something, too. And I base that on pure faith because you have a zero percent completion record of my 24-hour challenges. So how about you ditch the ad hominems, wipe the orange smear off your lips, and actually try to defend Trump on this one?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kheirn View Post
    Would you prefer that your president is dumb enough to unknowingly play straight into their hands, with his team actively helping them to do so?
    well then they could just pivot and say he was a victim!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thee ANCOM View Post
    well then they could just pivot and say he was a victim!
    They're low on choices. Maybe this is sarcasm, but the only other option is "Trump hired a foreign agent on purpose." Calling Manafort Ukranian won't even help, since they've been trying to blame the Russian attacks on the election on Ukraine anyhow.

So yeah, expect this to happen. Trump only hires the best people, who he doesn't know, and are horrible and that's why he fired them.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is from US Intelligence, not QAnon... wtf?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kheirn View Post
    Michelle Obama is right...

So how about you ditch the ad hominems, wipe the orange smear off your lips, and actually try to defend Trump on this one?
    This is a trap... The great replacement is against forum rules... he can’t defend Trump without an infraction... catch 22...
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-08-18 at 05:32 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ia-putin-2016/

Oh hey, it's Putin's favorite (former) Congressman Dana Rohrabacher making an appearance! A guy that even Republicans internally "joked" was on the payroll of Russia.

The findings on Rohrabacher are part of the committee’s fifth and final volume detailing Russian interference in the 2016 election. The final report focuses on counterintelligence. The efforts to influence Rohrabacher, who formerly chaired a House Foreign Affairs subcommittee that oversaw relations with Russia, are among examples of the Kremlin’s success in exerting influence in Washington.

The panel examined a trip to Russia that Rohrabacher took in April 2016 as part of a congressional delegation. During the visit, the congressman and an aide, Paul Behrends, brushed off the concerns of diplomats in the US embassy and “separated from the group” to attend a meeting with “a close confidant” of Vladimir Putin, the report said. They also accepted a folder containing what a Russian official claimed were “sensitive” materials. These Russian efforts dovetailed with Moscow’s attempts a few months later to help the Donald Trump’s presidential campaign by passing on what they claimed was damaging information related to Hillary Clinton. Rohrabacher did not respond to requests for comment from Mother Jones.
    Weird that Russian intelligence operatives seeding misinformation seem to have such success with Republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    This is from US Intelligence, not QAnon... wtf?
    No no, you don't understand. "Fairness" means you have to treat all positions equally, so a QAnon tweet is just as valid a source as a 1000 page bipartisan Senate report backed by several million pages of evidence.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...thers-n1237155

The Republican and Democratic chairmen of the Senate Intelligence Committee made criminal referrals of Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, Steve Bannon, Erik Prince and Sam Clovis to federal prosecutors in 2019, passing along their suspicions that the men may have misled the committee during their testimony, an official familiar with the matter told NBC News.
    Well that's new. Criminal referrals for an administration official, a former administration official, the son of POTUS, a mercenary with a sister who has a Cabinet position, and a third former administration official.

Doesn't seem like anything came of it though, but referrals with bipartisan support are pretty rare nowadays.

Trump supporters are immune to facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Case in point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did Trump lie under oath?

Trump told Mueller in written answers that he recalled no conversations with Stone about WikiLeaks.

SSCI: "The Committee assesses that Trump did, in fact, speak with Stone about WikiLeaks and with members of his Campaign about Stone’s access to WikiLeaks on multiple occasions."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Senate Intelligence reports are conspiracy theories?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, imagine having House Democrats, Senate Republicans, and the intelligence community agree on how compromised the Trump campaign was and how willing they were to receive foreign assistance, and still arguing about conspiracy theories.

Sadly, as Republicans have firmly indicated, nothing really matters anymore, especially not the law. Because there are no consequences for anyone in this administration, even for demonstrably lying to Congress under oath.
    If Biden wins, the Truth and Reconciliation Committee NEEDS to happen. There has to be consequences for the Trump administrations blatant flaunting of the law.