Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dark Rangers post Shadowlands

Spoiler alert I guess. This will be about recent news regarding the Dark Rangers.

So since we know Sylvanas has abandoned any ties to Azeroth and in the Shadowlands, and now Nathanos Blightcaller is a World Boss who gets defeated, what will happen to the Dark Rangers?

We see some of the recently raised Night Elf Dark Rangers be presented to Calia. But what about the Sylvanas loyalist Dark Rangers? Are they just assumed to all be acting under orders and kept in the Horde/Alliance like the Night Elf Dark Rangers were?

It also seems like they are without a leader now, and would be under Calia's care. But would they even be loyal to her at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Dark Rangers basically suffered a schism in their ranks. Some of them, headed or at least represented by Velonara, stayed loyal to the Horde's new leadership council. Others, represented by Delaryn Summermoon, journeyed to Tirisfal to seek some kind of absolution from Calia Menethil. The rest remained loyal to Sylvanas and are apparently doing whatever she needs done on Azeroth since she herself has journeyed into the Maw.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

We also have many Thalassian Dark Rangers who were shown to be loyal to the horde. Velonara herself stated:

"We dark rangers were fiercely loyal to Sylvanas. We trusted her... followed her commands.
    It is clear that our loyalty was never truly reciprocated.
    Some of my sisters and brothers have chosen to remain at the Dark Lady's side. I, and many others, have not.
    <Velonara's expression becomes steely. Determined.>
    I refuse to be a slave to this torment.
    Both the sin'dorei and Forsaken are my kin. I stand with them, and with the Horde."

So many should still be about post Shadowlands with the horde.

They stick around in the Horde for legacy reasons. They have no reasonable ties to the Horde or Calia, especially the night elven ones, but they remain anyway as sort of husks of themselves, like the Forsaken in general.

To note, I think this is partly the result of player outcry. They were meant to all go with Sylvanas or all turn on her, but they needed go-between NPCs for the loyalist quests they never intended to make which in turn entailed having the dark rangers know about Sylvanas's plan. So some stuck by her where they were intended to perform a 180. Hence how Velonara and Delaryn act surprised she was ditched while the others are in the know about both the Maw and her overall plan, and so weren't ditched in the first place.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2020-08-21 at 11:07 AM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Won’t be any different then Garrosh loyalists, they just sort of disappear from the lore. So it’s pretty much up to the player to decide if they are still jailed, are reformed or were executed.

The vast majority of dark rangers, including the famous dark ranger Velonara, joined the reformed Horde after their vile queen betrayed and abandoned them.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    They stick around in the Horde for legacy reasons. They have no reasonable ties to the Horde or Calia, especially the night elven ones, but they remain anyway as sort of husks of themselves, like the Forsaken in general.

To note, I think this is partly the result of player outcry. They were meant to all go with Sylvanas or all turn on her, but they needed go-between NPCs for the loyalist quests they never intended to make which in turn entailed having the dark rangers know about Sylvanas's plan. So some stuck by her where they were intended to perform a 180. Hence how Velonara and Delaryn act surprised she was ditched while the others are in the know about both the Maw and her overall plan, and so weren't ditched in the first place.
    Hmm, I disagree on the "no reasonable ties" bit; Velonara's "Both the sin'dorei and Forsaken are my kin" seems a reasonable reaction. They have now fought alongside the Horde and especially the Forsaken for quite a time, and loyalties and a sense of belonging after sharing the battlefields don't seem over-reaching to me. And quite likely many of them still likely hold close emotional ties to the Blood Elves.

...on the Night Elf ones, I agree though. They are a bit of a story embarrassment at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fewane View Post
    Hmm, I disagree on the "no reasonable ties" bit; Velonara's "Both the sin'dorei and Forsaken are my kin" seems a reasonable reaction. They have now fought alongside the Horde and especially the Forsaken for quite a time, and loyalties and a sense of belonging after sharing the battlefields don't seem over-reaching to me. And quite likely many of them still likely hold close emotional ties to the Blood Elves.

...on the Night Elf ones, I agree though. They are a bit of a story embarrassment at this moment.
    I'd find it easier to buy if the Dark Rangers weren't treated as a monolith of Sylvanas's closest enforcers in all prior appearances. They're a whole organisation of Sylvanas cosplayers after all. Their on-click lines are 'I serve the Banshee Queen'. Velonara herself goes on about how she'd do anything to prove herself to Sylvanas a while back. They're what people who hate the Forsaken think the Forsaken were.

Having that clash with both their past as elves and their present as undead and choosing to favor those over their personal loyalty to Sylvanas once she reveals to them what she intends to do regarding the Maw and the Jailor, which other dark rangers know about, would be an interesting story. But that story doesn't exist. It's just conjecture and unconvincing conjecture since Velonara doesn't show any knowledge about what Sylvanas's got planned and acts like anyone else ditched by her.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Alas, they didn't consider loyalist players in Shadowlands.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The Dark Rangers basically suffered a schism in their ranks. Some of them, headed or at least represented by Velonara, stayed loyal to the Horde's new leadership council. Others, represented by Delaryn Summermoon, journeyed to Tirisfal to seek some kind of absolution from Calia Menethil. The rest remained loyal to Sylvanas and are apparently doing whatever she needs done on Azeroth since she herself has journeyed into the Maw.
    I find it crazy that A) Any NE's have remained loyal to her, given her whole butchering them and all, but apparently some did according to 'Shadows Rising' and B) They apparently get better at shooting simply by being raised into undeath with rotting muscles...

- - - Updated - - -

I'd find it easier to buy if the Dark Rangers weren't treated as a monolith of Sylvanas's closest enforcers in all prior appearances. They're a whole organisation of Sylvanas cosplayers after all. Their on-click lines are 'I serve the Banshee Queen'. Velonara herself goes on about how she'd do anything to prove herself to Sylvanas a while back. They're what people who hate the Forsaken think the Forsaken were.

Having that clash with both their past as elves and their present as undead and choosing to favor those over their personal loyalty to Sylvanas once she reveals to them what she intends to do regarding the Maw and the Jailor, which other dark rangers know about, would be an interesting story. But that story doesn't exist. It's just conjecture and unconvincing conjecture since Velonara doesn't show any knowledge about what Sylvanas's got planned and acts like anyone else ditched by her.
    Also, based on "Before the storm" not all undead are mindlessly filled with hate. Some know they can't feel love, but still show some sort of empathy. As shown by the Dark Ranger in Hunter's lodge.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I find it crazy that A) Any NE's have remained loyal to her, given her whole butchering them and all, but apparently some did according to 'Shadows Rising' and B) They apparently get better at shooting simply by being raised into undeath with rotting muscles...
    Shadows Rising also reveals that the Kaldorei dead are also trapped in a state of rage and grief, making them easy to manipulate (which is what Sylvanas is doing) - putting the onus on Elune for "not saving them" as opposed to her for killing them. I have little doubt a degree of external compulsion is being used, as well; Sylvanas has long given up on the idea of free-willed servants. As for their aim the Dark Wardens aren't rotting, per se; they're raised in the peak of health insofar as undeath goes. A far cry from the plight of your average Forsaken.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Dark Rangers are not mindless. They are Forsaken. While they enjoyed a privileged position of Sylvanas' elite forces, it's not like she's actually sharing her reasoning with them. Even Nathanos largely has to infer things.

When the split happens, it comes down to if you are more loyal to Sylvanas, or the Forsaken. Your role as elite among a people now lost. Or your role as an extension of a Banshee Queen's will that follows her own dark path. Individuals will make different choices when faced with a leader seemingly going off the rails and changing priorities on you. And that's what we're seeing out there. With some choosing the Horde and Forsaken. Some feeling lost. And some sticking to their guns.

And I think that's fine.

Shadows Rising also reveals that the Kaldorei dead are also trapped in a state of rage and grief, making them easy to manipulate (which is what Sylvanas is doing) - putting the onus on Elune for "not saving them" as opposed to her for killing them. I have little doubt a degree of external compulsion is being used, as well; Sylvanas has long given up on the idea of free-willed servants. As for their aim the Dark Wardens aren't rotting, per se; they're raised in the peak of health insofar as undeath goes. A far cry from the plight of your average Forsaken.
    To add more to the topic.
    It's like they're addicted and Sylvanas is the only one who can give them their drug. The drug appears to be killing.

It also clarifies in passing that Sira was raised against her will.

I meant that "Kaldorei" Dark Rangers aren't going to be up to par with other dark rangers. Unless everyone else is wrong and Dark Rangers aren't the best, but are rivals of the Night Elves best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geco View Post
    It's like they're addicted and Sylvanas is the only one who can give them their drug. The drug appears to be killing.

Sira says she wants death, and I do like the end where it suggests she might get some sort of redemption. Hopefully their arc continues in Shadowlands.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I meant that "Kaldorei" Dark Rangers aren't going to be up to par with other dark rangers. Unless everyone else is wrong and Dark Rangers aren't the best, but are rivals of the Night Elves best.
    I assume it's variable. The High Elven Dark Rangers are were Farstriders in life, whereas the Night Elven Dark Rangers would've been Sentinels. The Farstriders and Sentinels would be roughly equivalent as a fighting force - though the Sentinels probably have more experience being formerly immortal Night Elves that have been around for 10,000+ years to practice and hone their technique.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not sure Sylvanas revealed her plans to anybody except Nathanos until after she left the Horde. This is all guessing, but Sylvanas only reveals she has plans to the loyalist player after she leaves the horde, it stands to reason she didnt reveal her plans to her rangers until after as well. May as well use the horde exit as a loyalty test, clearly it was a good idea because Velonara and many other dark rangers failed it - and now only the remaining rangers are in the know, the disloyal ones aren't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geco View Post

Which would be interesting, that was the original lore behind 3rd gen death knights - the ones we play as. They're addicted to killing and causing pain. I don't know if that's been retconned or not though, now that they're all "we do what the living cannot".

I assume it's variable. The High Elven Dark Rangers are were Farstriders in life, whereas the Night Elven Dark Rangers would've been Sentinels. The Farstriders and Sentinels would be roughly equivalent as a fighting force - though the Sentinels probably have more experience being formerly immortal Night Elves that have been around for 10,000+ years to practice and hone their technique.
    Unlikely that many of them are that old, there are only very few night elves over 10k years of age. Though it is very likely many of the sentinels are older than their highborne counterparts, but the gap wouldn't be that massive.

OT

Nothing major will change they might be a very minor plotpoint some day, if even that.

I hope they stay all loyal to Sylvanas and kill any vile alliance abomination on first sight. Death to the alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    I hope they stay all loyal to Sylvanas and kill any vile alliance abomination on first sight. Death to the alliance.
    They don't, that much is already certain.

I think dark rangers will be gifted to the horde and alliance (or anyone who wants to be one) and the ranger themself can be loyal to sylvanas and track those who escape from shadowlands, to restore balance. since whatever we do or witness in the expansion will unwheel the cycle of life and afterlife, so there needs to be someone, rangers, who can and will restore/keep the balance. they can hunt those who escape from the shadowlands and track/prevent threats that would seek to do the shadowlands and the cycle of life and death harm. the crescendo of shadowlands will probably involve a massive shaking of the foundations of reality and so it will need those with the skill and capability to maintain it from unraveling further.

so those loyal to sylvanas and the cause of keeping existence/reality in check will take up the mantle and bows, arrows, crossbows, etc, to seek out those who disrupt the ebb and flow of this aspect of creation, as their duty. they're able to send those they track down to the shadowlands. probably bypassing the spirit healer and send the slain directly to a shadowland realm or to sylvanas herself. that is, if sylvanas wants to keep this prison cycle of life and death - I agree with her that we never have a choice when it comes to being alive or dead, it's all decided for us, and that is comparable being in a prison. so she may not seek to fix the wheel, she may want to break it. but that's a different discussion.

it will be cool to have a true mission and purpose, while most classes do have a connection to something greater and a reason for being, this could make a meaningful and memorable point for dark rangers because we'll still be able to be loyal to sylvanas, if we want that particular connection, I do, and it keeps her and the cycle and the rangers relevant throughout all time, while not being detestable at all as the goal is necessary, understandable, and noble. and gives the dark ranger 'something to do' - a big something to do which is to be agents of the afterlife and by extension dispatched balance-keepers of the flow that is life and afterlife.
    Last edited by dunkl; 2020-08-21 at 04:52 PM.