3+ Year Old Account

Questions about Skinning Tags

Hello, I was looking into getting Skinning but couldn't find some questions about it.

1: If i kill a bunch of mobs solo, can someone swoop in and skin my kills?

2: If i multi-tag some mobs and there is another skinner who tagged it, do we both get to skin or only 1 of us. If so, do the mobs with multi-tag get split or is it whoever is fastest?

Thanks in advance, Lound.
    Last edited by Lound; 2020-08-22 at 11:42 PM.

Anyone can skin a dead mob. Has nothing to do with who tagged it or killed it.
    Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse.

3+ Year Old Account
    So if i kill a pack of mobs and loot it, people can just skin my kills if they so wish? Weird that there is no tagging system for skinners, would prevent people stealing your skinning.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lound View Post
    So if i kill a pack of mobs and loot it, people can just skin my kills if they so wish?
    That's correct. There are workarounds, such as waiting to loot if you see people hovering over your kills. Otherwise, skin as fast as you can and hope you get most of your own loot. This was the one major downside when AoE looting was added to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Yeah, they can't skin it till it's looted. However, if multi-tagged, and there's loot for someone else on the mob, you can't skin it, either. Goes both ways. Annoying corollary is that if someone doesn't loot everything, or uses an addon that leaves worthless stuff behind, that'll keep you from skinning some mobs.

Once looted, it's fair game. I'll skin behind someone, but after making sure they're not wanting it for themselves. If you loot a pile of stuff you kill, and walk away, I'll consider that it's fair game. If you start skinning the pile, I'll walk away, unless I tagged some of it, but even then, I won't try to out-skin you. I'll split, or even take 1/3, etc.

Of course, some people will take/steal anything that's not tied down, and some that is. I can't speak to them.
    Would be nice if Blizzard implemented a option for skinners that let them skin a mob before looting it. And then let the skinner loot the mob with the skin in the loot table.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's an interesting option. So what happens with multi-tag, and both want to skin? Not trying to shut down the idea, just thinking a little further.
    Treat it like current herb/ore node.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

can't you skin in bfa without looting the mob? there was a quest or something to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    can't you skin in bfa without looting the mob? there was a quest or something to do that.
    If it's a quest, then yeah. But otherwise anyone can skin anything. Same with mining and herbalism. Just today I was leveling a character in Howling Fjord, and I was doing the quest where you have to analyze four stone giants. They can be mined, since they're stone. Well, some moron came over and started mining the stone giant I was trying to analyze - while I was analyzing it. If I'd been a couple of seconds slower, I wouldn't even have been able to do the quest stuff on it. Generally, people are more considerate than that, but you can indeed skin someone else's mobs at any time, as long as there's no loot on it.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

That's an interesting option. So what happens with multi-tag, and both want to skin? Not trying to shut down the idea, just thinking a little further.
    Can make it so only the skinner can see the skin in the loot table. And possibly let the skinner get first pass on the skin. If the skinner passes then it shows up as a general loot item.

As far as sequence of actions I don't see it slowing down the skinning process. You would just skin all mobs first, then do an aoe loot. Or when you skin you automatically loot that mob. So, instead of looting ---> skinning ---> looting skin. It would be skinning ---> looting everything.

But I am sure this would make a thousand problems in the programming of loot tables.

what i mean is, in 8.3 they allow you to skin a mob that hasn't been looted (i think it was a quick quest you had to do, can't remember now)