Why don't all CCs work the same?

As a monk, if I cast paralysis on a mob from some distance away, I won't enter combat. If I then walk nearer to that Paralyzed mob, it puts me into combat.

As a DH, if I cast imprison on a mob from some distance away, I won't enter combat. If I then walk nearer to that Imprisoned mob, I still stay out of combat.

From a design standpoint, what is the reason for this difference in behaviour?
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 @ 3.60GHz | Mobo: Gigabyte H370N WIFI | GPU: Colorful NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB
    RAM: G.SKILL 8Gb 1866MHz | SSD: Corsair Force LS 240GB SATA 3 | PSU: Corsair CX500M

Quote Originally Posted by BIGseXXXy View Post
    As a monk, if I cast paralysis on a mob from some distance away, I won't enter combat. If I then walk nearer to that Paralyzed mob, it puts me into combat.

As a DH, if I cast imprison on a mob from some distance away, I won't enter combat. If I then walk nearer to that Imprisoned mob, I still stay out of combat.

Different classes can do different things.

Sap stay out of combat, Repentance and Freezing Trap is like Paralyze.

I never understood why my sheeped target puts me into combat while it's peacefull grazing either, just because I was a bit closer. The 9 guys around the sheep also don't care that there is suddenly a sheep for some reason..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Generally CCs work in 3 different categories: Can hit through them, can hit once or twice before they break, and the first hit always breaks the CC.

It allows for more design space this way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    Generally CCs work in 3 different categories: Can hit through them, can hit once or twice before they break, and the first hit always breaks the CC.

It allows for more design space this way.
    what does this have to do with the question he asked?

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    what does this have to do with the question he asked?
    The thread topic is so painfully boring that I felt compelled to post something that was at least slightly interesting to think about, to spark a discussion on CCs.

The obvious answer to OP's question is that its a bug due to the age of the engine. This could have been googled and didn't warrant creating a thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I never understood why my sheeped target puts me into combat while it's peacefull grazing either, just because I was a bit closer. The 9 guys around the sheep also don't care that there is suddenly a sheep for some reason..
    I agree. If a mob is guarding a door and you sheep it, you should be able to peacefully walk by as long as you are out of the aggro range when it expires. This would be great for those mobs that stay annoyingly close to quest objectives.

I'm happy for CCs to be differentiated by cast time/range/target type, and some even allow light dmg (entangling roots/hex comes to mind), but I feel that once CC is applied it should either uniformly *never* or *always* put you in combat, whether or not you get close to the CCed target.

If the devs gave us a good reason for this disparity I could be convinced, but I haven't found one yet.
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 @ 3.60GHz | Mobo: Gigabyte H370N WIFI | GPU: Colorful NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB
    RAM: G.SKILL 8Gb 1866MHz | SSD: Corsair Force LS 240GB SATA 3 | PSU: Corsair CX500M

And it's changed several times over the years too. I've seen sap, blind, and in Legion the parley talent all function differently depending on the patch. It's maddening, and I always just put up with it by being a rogue and having vanish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    That might be a bug. It seems like really odd behavior. I haven't noticed or tested this myself. I always throw Freezing Trap from a distance. I could try running near that target to see if it puts me in combat. Honestly, Trap, Sap, Poly, Hex etc. should not place a character in combat unless that target gets damaged.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

From a design point, you could argue that is you were paralyzed, but saw the attacker up close, you'd remember him and want to attack when you got free. On the other hand, imprison kinda seems to put you in statis.

I think the issue is probably in the coding though, and it's just not big enough of an issue to try and fix.

It'd be nice if there were some logical explanation for things like this but the most likely reason is because each of these CCs was created at a different point in WoW's development cycle and they have yet to go back and add any uniformity to how they work. This is why certain CCs will still have on-death affixes apply to them in M+, for example. I'd imagine Blizzard will some day come out and add a bit more clarification on this front but until then sometimes that just be how it be.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It'd be nice if there were some logical explanation for things like this but the most likely reason is because each of these CCs was created at a different point in WoW's development cycle and they have yet to go back and add any uniformity to how they work. This is why certain CCs will still have on-death affixes apply to them in M+, for example . I'd imagine Blizzard will some day come out and add a bit more clarification on this front but until then sometimes that just be how it be.
    Is there any other CC besides banish where that is not the case? In the case of banish it makes sense, as the target becomes immune to all interactions, including buffs and debuffs.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGseXXXy View Post

They are different spells, that's why.

Take Polymorph (Mage) and Hex (Shaman). On paper , they look very very similar. Turn enemy into a harmless beast.

Polymorph, you (the victim) lose control of actions, but you heal much faster. Also, you have a very very low aggro range.
    Hex, you (victim) don't heal faster, but you retain control (pretty sure, you can even attack for 1-2 damage) and have normal aggro range.

If one was a copy/paste of the other, you'd lose flavor in the game.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    If one was a copy/paste of the other, you'd lose flavor in the game.
    I agree, I am honestly willing to accept some balance issues as long as classes feel very different from one another
    I hope they differentiate classes more in the future instead of watering them down to be basically the same