Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What do we feel is going to be the most universally viable covenant ability?

As someone who usually plays all 3 specs of every class I main, universal viability is pretty important when picking a covenant. If I go priest I'll probably be focusing on raid healing as holy, M+ as disc and pvp/soloing as shadow although depending on balance these could become very shuffled.

From what I've seen the only covenant that seems universally reliable in most contexts for most specs is Necrolords but I'd love to hear feedback.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nightfae, if you have no problems with that. Take one for the team and help others, they will love you for that.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Necrolords looks like a AoE damage/healing CD that you can't go wrong with. Nightfae is a decent buff that has universal use for yourself and a party/raid member. Whichever parses more healing/damage remains to be seen until it's implemented live and tested with certain gear levels. Even if covenant ability X parses higher than all others, it's only one patch note away to being the worse.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Yeah I totally see how night fae looks great on paper but it's also actually one of the most boring ones in the entire game and I'd really prefer t avoid it. I'm actually really looking at Venthyr a lot right now. Mainly for the 4% mana every 45 secs as a raid healer and as a clutch tool in arena. The teleport would be REALLY useful as a priest. The only downside is M+ where I dont really see it being as practical unless its healing gets a big increase. I'd love to hear feedback from the raid tests.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Venty for the teleportation.
    We lack so much movement.

Universally good is probably night fae. Grab yourself the op class of the patch as a partner and support them with power infusion and fae guardians which will always be viable.
    Venthyr looks pretty good too especially for damage and pvp. I personally think door of shadows is overrated, but its good nontheless.
    Kyrian and necrolords look very underwhelming in my opinion, which is a shame because i really liked the kyrian wings.

If you don't like night fae anyway and/or don't have a reliable partner venthyr looks pretty good.

I already heavily favor Venthyr over Night Fae so this seems like the pick for me.

can venthyr skill even do damage as shadow? only if target is healing, right? seems lame for pve, night fae more well rounded (and cooldown lines up exactly with voidform if the CDR chooses shadowfiend?)

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarose View Post
    As someone who usually plays all 3 specs of every class I main, universal viability is pretty important when picking a covenant. If I go priest I'll probably be focusing on raid healing as holy, M+ as disc and pvp/soloing as shadow although depending on balance these could become very shuffled.

From what I've seen the only covenant that seems universally reliable in most contexts for most specs is Necrolords but I'd love to hear feedback.
    Unfortunately it won't matter. Its inevitable that Activison will start tinkering with the covenants, they will want to force switches to increase play time as they always do. This system might actually work if they would set the abilities then stop tinkering with them... but they won't.

Necrolords is the most viable for all intents and purposes. Besides, the shield is really good if you're into PVP.

Didn't necro got nerfed last build, making it about as useful for the 2 healing specs as mindgames is for shadow? Also in no way is necro shield better than Kyrian's potion.

But yeah, night fae is looking like a main candidate for "I play more than 1 spec" crowd, even if the CDR gets fixed for shadow (i.e. it will not affect PI any more). And soulshape is a good addition to no mobility as base class.

15+ Year Old Account
    For DK, probably Night Fae. The exception is Venthyr is too good to not pick as BDK.

At first I wanted to go Kyrian for the heal in PVP and raids, but I may not need the heal if I have Night Fae mobility. The Fae DK class ability is kinda crazy, even if it gets nerfed down to 10% str.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    For DK, probably Night Fae. The exception is Venthyr is too good to not pick as BDK.

At first I wanted to go Kyrian for the heal in PVP and raids, but I may not need the heal if I have Night Fae mobility. The Fae DK class ability is kinda crazy, even if it gets nerfed down to 10% str.
    Wrong class forums.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    Didn't necro got nerfed last build, making it about as useful for the 2 healing specs as mindgames is for shadow? Also in no way is necro shield better than Kyrian's potion.

But yeah, night fae is looking like a main candidate for "I play more than 1 spec" crowd, even if the CDR gets fixed for shadow (i.e. it will not affect PI any more). And soulshape is a good addition to no mobility as base class.
    Yes, Necro is trash now. We're looking at Night Fae if they fix the dumb interactions of the spirits for Holy and Disc (ie, you can't cast Flash Heal / Shadowmend without bouncing them all over the place) or Kyrian if they fix Shadow's rotational issues with it (it really needs to not replace Mind Flay; make it castable while channeling MF). Kyrian is the stronger one for both healing specs right now, and Night Fae is stronger for Shadow if you're also using the Shadowfiend legendary. We'll see what happens with more tuning.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Nightfae, if you have no problems with that. Take one for the team and help others, they will love you for that.
    But, but my cool AF shadow priest doesn't want fairries on hes team, never happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post
    Universally good is probably night fae. Grab yourself the op class of the patch as a partner and support them with power infusion and fae guardians which will always be viable.
    Venthyr looks pretty good too especially for damage and pvp. I personally think door of shadows is overrated, but its good nontheless.
    Kyrian and necrolords look very underwhelming in my opinion, which is a shame because i really liked the kyrian wings.

If you don't like night fae anyway and/or don't have a reliable partner venthyr looks pretty good.
    For shadow, door of shadow is anything but overrated. A teleport is all shadow realy needs with zero mobillity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Venty for the teleportation.
    We lack so much movement.
    Priests have one of the most amazing short cool down movement speed talents out of all the classes I think. being able to bubble yourself and getting that short bursts of speed all the time is quite a lot if you pick that talent hook that talent
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I feel like this decision is also going to require an understanding of how good the soul binds in a given Covenant are as well.

So lets say you LOVE Night Fae and like the abilities okay. (I mean, I kinda am thirsting after that mobility not gonna lie). But the soul binds end up shit lord level for what you want to do. And then lets say you're okay with the Kyrian ability, it's kinda fun, SWOL bro's flask can help you a couple tight spots AND there's a soul bind that just flat out increases your healing by 5-10%, so the OVERALL Kyrian package is a more appealing and edges out the other choice.

I think that's the world we're in. And if you're hung up on the Covenant abilities alone, you need to start thinking about which soul binds are also going to benefit you because at best it will help you narrow down your choice and at worst it will throw you into a tail spin.

I'm considering Night Fae and Kyrian, and leaning towards Kyrian because Kleia's soul bind is great for healing even with its nerf. The reality is I need to see more data that we just don't have so until we know, I'm in the camp of might be capping first toon and then literally capping another without choosing my Covenant on my main until the first week of the expac shakes out.

Isn't topics like these forbidden? Which class should I play?

Kyrian for Shadow. Going Godmode every 3 minutes seems fun, remember fun? The damage tuning will likely turn out fine, the thing just got buffed, ascended blast generates insanity, and has a further damage buff conduit associated with it. Don't underestimate this one. Moving at 50% speed and just spamming the aoe explosion for 10 seconds on a dungeon pack with a big release at the end will make you daddy on the meters every 3 min for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 7empest View Post
    Kyrian for Shadow. Going Godmode every 3 minutes seems fun, remember fun? The damage tuning will likely turn out fine, the thing just got buffed, ascended blast generates insanity, and has a further damage buff conduit associated with it. Don't underestimate this one. Moving at 50% speed and just spamming the aoe explosion for 10 seconds on a dungeon pack with a big release at the end will make you daddy on the meters every 3 min for sure.
    I’m not doubting the fun, but honestly for shadow it’s only going to be good for aoe, and I haven’t played beta yet but I feel like shadows already in a decent spot for aoe and it’s only going to be good for aoe and nothing else. No aoe, you basically don’t use the ability