Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Live-Action PowerPuff Girls show for CW in the works.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pow...cw-1234746828/

“The Powerpuff Girls” could soon fly again. Variety has learned that a live-action version of the classic Cartoon Network series is in development at The CW.

In the updated version of the series, the titular superheroes are now disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting. Will they agree to reunite now that the world needs them more than ever?

The project hails from writers and executive producers Heather Regnier and Diablo Cody. Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, and David Madden will executive produce via Berlanti Productions. Warner Bros. Television will produce.
    This is gonna be a dumpster fire.

They should make the characters gender-neutral so that boys can enjoy it too. One of the girls should be a boy. /s

But seriously, I bet one of them won't be white.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    They should make the characters gender-neutral so that boys can enjoy it too. One of the girls should be a boy. /s

And at least one will be of the LGBTQ+ variety.

Also are they going to get teens/children to play them or is it like some time in the future when they are grown up?

Even though I enjoy some CW/Berlanti shows, a live-action Powerpuff Girls should be more "out there" than the CW would ever allow.

The premise sounds fine, I'm just not sure how appropriate it would be for this particular IP. Or, at least, I'm not sure how much I'd trust the writers at the CW to handle it. Would have much rather seen it be a Netflix show, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    "Sugar, spice, and everything nice!" Not sure if you think Professor Utonium's jizz is included in the "everything nice"...or maybe that's actually Chemical X.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-08-25 at 01:38 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    And at least one will be of the LGBTQ+ variety.

Also are they going to get teens/children to play them or is it like some time in the future when they are grown up?
    When you reveal you didn't actually read the op and just wanted to get a snappy retort off about it.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Why does every remake have to be live action. Spend some money and animate that shit.

Are they gonna hire actresses with giant eyes and giant heads?
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if they'll have an existential crisis over being made of seasonings, food additives and junk anddd it's made by CW so expect terrible scripts and plots.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

It'll be like the Charmed reboot.

That is to say, equally cheesy, and acted/written in a similar manner...

...but incredibly more infuriating for those with nostalgia for the old version, mixed in with a bit of the usual anti-sjw complaints.

10+ Year Old Account
    After what they did to the recent cartoon reboot my expectation are very low.

Powerpuff girls are a cartoon of its time and it should remain there 2020 needs to get its grubby hands off of old properties... did we learn nothing from the live action Kim Possible movie :P

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

Powerpuff girls are a cartoon of its time and it should remain there 2020 needs to get its grubby hands off of old properties... did we learn nothing from the live action Kim Possible movie :P
    All reboots just make me want to visit the original again. Haven't thought about this show in prob 20+ years. Remember this episode, telling me to eat my greens:

.... This is going to be as "live action" as the Lion King remake, isn't it? With the only "live" "action" being a single shot of the city, and then everything else being computer generated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    .... This is going to be as "live action" as the Lion King remake, isn't it? With the only "live" "action" being a single shot of the city, and then everything else being computer generated.
    Computer generated content on the CW? Probably not. Just going to be a cast of generic attractive 20-somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Computer generated content on the CW? Probably not. Just going to be a cast of generic attractive 20-somethings.
    Or, yeah, that.

Which would completely destroy one of the main appeals of the original show: cute girls kicking ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how the hell are they going to pull off Miss Sara Bellum?

In any case I don't see this being just 'ok' as I think it's either going to be really good... or really bad. No middle ground here.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

All the kids who watched the powerpuff girls as kids are now 20-40 year olds, exactly who you want going to a live action movie.

CW is the worst network on tv

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You couldn’t watch the show as a kid and be 40 as you’d have been 18 when it was released.
    PP girls was done in 1992 in a previous incarnation (as powerpuff it was 1998), if you are 40 now, you'd have been 12 in 1992, still a kid, add an extra 4 years for more childish teens and stretch to 16 tops. which would make you 44 now.

Also the last new episode was aired in 2005 it still airs I think, so basically anyone born from 1976 to present could go watch it and have memories. this is definitely the 18-44 demography (if we cut off at 2005, which we shouldn't, a kid old enough to understand powerpuff girls in 2005 would have been born in 2001/2 making her 18/19 now therefore 18-44 - but kids younger and the rare exception older would relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Also one of the producer's name is Diablo? How is that not child cruelty? Is that the reason why he wants to make a young adult drama about disillusioned superheroes, cause he was named after the devil?
    Looked it up. Her birth name is Brook Michele Busey, Diablo Cody is just an artistic name.

Did anyone actually ask for this to be made?