Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If it was just down to their objective qualifications, you'd be right.

It wasn't.

It was down to voters' subjective impressions and prejudices, at least as much as any such analysis. There's literally nothing Clinton could have done to secure the vote of a hardline misogynist.
    And a very disappointing number of them of are Democrats.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    And a very disappointing number of them of are Democrats.
    I very specifically chose not to include party designations there, for precisely that reason.

Poor and minority voters voted for Clinton.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Poor and minority voters voted for Clinton.
    And also actively being suppressed by republicans. Like how disingenuous is this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    And also actively being suppressed by republicans. Like how disingenuous is this guy.
    Off the charts.

Fox News Sets Record with RNC Coverage, But Other Networks Fail to Keep Pace

When the numbers are added up across Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS and NBC, the Republicans drew about 15.8 million viewers while the Democrats drew 18.7 million on their respective first nights. With Fox News getting 7.06 million viewers during its coverage of RNC's convention, it garnered a hefty 45 percent of the total audience.
    So more people watched DNC first night that GOP first night. No streaming data yet.

Guilfoyle's six-minute speech has gone viral. It actually rivals Michelle Obama's first night speech YouTube download. Although, not in a good way for the GOP.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting piece from the NYTimes about Trump supporters, and why they continue to support him: Trump's Fights Are Their Fights. They Have His Back Unapologetically.

Even more interesting, and entirely unsurprising, is that their "reasons" stem from either outright lies ("America First") or plain old "conservative views" vis a vis appointing of judges. Even worse, one of the marquee interviewees is a white woman, with a black son-in-law, who supposedly voted Obama in '08 and '12. She voted Trump in '16 and will do so this year.

I really don't know how we heal a divide where one side are lying bigots and/or just too stupid to know how wrong they are.

Off the charts.
    Yeah, all his posts are just lies. "dem's are supressing votes, then me show you by linking and quoting showing that dem's are not supressing votes at all." off the charts indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    More of them didn't vote for either, and if we are going to talk about suppressed voters, let's talk about New York State.
    Stop moving the goal posts--if it was "economic anxiety," why did Clinton win poor and minority voters? Since they voted for Clinton, how can they be "blamed"?

https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/84000-...mary-election/

Before you go off on Trump this was before his Bullshit he did with the USPS. The blame resides within the state who control the primary elections.
    I hold Democrats and Republicans responsible for different types of voter suppression, and have said so on this board, so take that up with someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Yeah, all his posts are just lies. "dem's are supressing votes, then me show you by linking and quoting showing that dem's are not supressing votes at all." off the charts indeed.
    Democrats have definitely contributed by being lazy / incompetent. Not opening enough polling stations, that sort of thing. But they haven't waged a century+ long campaign targeting black and brown voters in every conceivable way.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Interesting piece from the NYTimes about Trump supporters, and why they continue to support him: Trump's Fights Are Their Fights. They Have His Back Unapologetically.

Even more interesting, and entirely unsurprising, is that their "reasons" stem from either outright lies ("America First") or plain old "conservative views" vis a vis appointing of judges. Even worse, one of the marquee interviewees is a white woman, with a black son-in-law, who supposedly voted Obama in '08 and '12. She voted Trump in '16 and will do so this year.

I really don't know how we heal a divide where one side are lying bigots and/or just too stupid to know how wrong they are.
    It has always been a battle for the independent voters whose rank is growing rapidly. In many states it has grown larger than either the GOP and/or DNC. In Florida it is definitely about the independent voters. I believe that it is the same in Texas now. Unfortunately the State of Texas does not make the data available to the public. The hard core DNC and GOP voters had made up their mind a long time ago. It will take something truly major to change their minds.

Democrats have definitely contributed by being lazy / incompetent. Not opening enough polling stations, that sort of thing. But they haven't waged a century+ long campaign targeting black and brown voters in every conceivable way.
    His argument isn't enough polling places, his argument is ballots post marked after nov 3rd not being counted is suppression. It's not. Fucking with the post office, something he doesn't want us to talk about because if we do we open up all the cracks, is. Fighting that by going to court and allowing ballots post marked days after nov 3rd like pennsylvania dem's are doing, isn't lazy at all. It might be easy to just figure the guy has no idea what's he's talking about, but i'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt, he's just lying.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2020-08-25 at 09:04 PM.

She didn't win the majority of poor and minority people who could vote, because most of them choose not to vote. Voter Suppression isn't so bad that it keeps 100 million Americans from voting.
    She also didn't win the people of Japan, or Paraguay. But since we're talking about the fact that she won the majority of poor and minority voters, as I already stipulated, you still haven't been able to explain how that squares with "economic anxiety" you insist on citing as a factor.

I haven't had time, or the fortitude, to watch the whole thing but I have a serious question.

Was there a single new idea, policy position, or goal that was discussed at the convention last night by Republicans? Like, a single thing they're actually campaigning on that isn't fear, anger, and cultish love of Dear Leader?

Because I've been catching up here and there and...it seemed shockingly devoid of any actual original thought or ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    There was quite literally nothing. All they did was cement the "Cult of Trump" moniker, really.
    That's what I'm gathering, but I'm struggling to really accept that the party has turned into Worker's Party of America in such a short period of time.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I haven't had time, or the fortitude, to watch the whole thing but I have a serious question.

Was there a single new idea, policy position, or goal that was discussed at the convention last night by Republicans? Like, a single thing they're actually campaigning on that isn't fear, anger, and cultish love of Dear Leader?

Because I've been catching up here and there and...it seemed shockingly devoid of any actual original thought or ideas.
    I agree with @UnifiedDivide - seems all they did was what you covered - fear, anger, cult. They even put charged felons in a marquee slot.

Interesting information about the RNC viewership - down 28% from 2016. Since we know that a lot of the people who support Trump's GOP are people who get their news form television, it's telling that there are 28% less of them this time around. Obviously there isn't a direct correlation, but it's certainly telling.

Like I said:

Thanks for being predictable, though.
    I wouldn't bother. I tried being reasonable with them and they either ignored my questions and arguments or threw up strawmen to deflect from the fact they didn't like the answers. It's just not worth the time anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Speaking of this nutcase....

And people still wonder if there is acceptance of the QAnon bullshit in this administration. To borrow from someone else: they are the base, and Trump loves his base.
    I don't think anyone from the administration has specifically rejected Q, amusingly. Pence and others have rejected generic "conspiracy theories", but when pressed I don't any have rejected that omni-conspiracy by name.

Which if my memory is correct would be abso-fucking-lutely intentional on their part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I don't think anyone from the administration has specifically rejected Q, amusingly. Pence and others have rejected generic "conspiracy theories", but when pressed I don't any have rejected that omni-conspiracy by name.

Which if my memory is correct would be abso-fucking-lutely intentional on their part.
    Would they be conspiracy theories to someone that believes in them?

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Would they be conspiracy theories to someone that believes in them?
    Yes, because the facts don't really care about their feelings.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of an odd strategy for the GOP to go with, their main line being that if Biden is elected that the US will be destroyed. I understand the radical far-right types believing that. But surely the GOP understands that Biden was recently VP for 8 years and the US didn't end then. Worse yet the gun bans, Sharia law, and everything else Republicans fear-mongered about while taking the loss in 2008 didn't come true then either. So that's an awfully hard sell to the general public now again as their main strategy. Maybe that's all they have, but it's really desperate and an odd stretch. If it didn't work against Obama why would it work against Biden now?