Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No. I need more money.������

Nah, my 1070 will last me a long while, seeing as how I play such a narrow library of games and they all perform splendidly on my current setup. I never was one to need the absolute latest shit to enjoy myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    I have a nice $2000 budget set aside for a new computer. It's so hard waiting for the 3000 series because, well, I want to build it NOW lmao! But with the 3070 likely being the same if not better performance wise as the 2080TI for a LOT less money - I have to wait.
    You are a wise person.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaaara View Post
    I'm sceptical.. But that looks interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    But they are still not the same thing. Refresh rate is how many times monitor refreshes the picture and fps how many pictures are "drown/s" but yes hmif you have 60hz monitor having gpu that can draw 100+ fps won't matter because you are limited to 60hz... But again fps isn't the same thing as hz
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Never said it is.
    But it's natural to use hz instead of fps when talking about game fluidity.

Why?
    Because you can tell someone "for your game to be fluid, you need to aim for 120 fps". Meanwhile, they have a 60hz screen, which would be misleading to them, as they would never achieve the 120fps fluidity.
    Neither is the same as Hz. Refresh rate is measured in Hz and you could also say that frame rate is measured in Hz, hence frames/s.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious what AMD will show up with, Nvidia really needs to be put down a peg or two

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    You are a wise person.
    It's really hard, lemme tell ya'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    I'm curious what AMD will show up with, Nvidia really needs to be put down a peg or two
    Judging by the past, AMD won't show up with anything to challenge the "3090" or whatever it gets called. They haven't for the past long, long time. The point they were closest was the vega 64 v 1080ti I think, and the 1080ti was ancient at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Judging by the past, AMD won't show up with anything to challenge the "3090" or whatever it gets called. They haven't for the past long, long time. The point they were closest was the vega 64 v 1080ti I think, and the 1080ti was ancient at that point.
    That's a shame, i've only have good things to say about my previous 1060, but i couldn't justify the 20xx series price so i went with a 5700xt, was really hoping for some competition between Amd and Nvidia

These top graphic cards are a scam, I will never be ready for them, because even if I buy one, two months later there's another one. I prefer to go with a middle one and stick with it for many years. I have a 1070 which was pretty expensive 3 years ago or so and by the looks of it I won't be needing another one for a long time, since I don't play 4k and lots of Hz, I'm perfectly happy with 1440p. At that time I bought it because my older card sucked in Witcher 3.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's really hard, lemme tell ya'.
    I know i have waited for the 2070 rtx.

Wanna buy a 2070 rtx soon? :P
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

assuming a 3070 matches the 2080TIs performance and costs $500~... I'm absolutely ready!
    It's at least $600.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    AMD wont have an answer for 3080 or 3090.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's at least $600.

- - - Updated - - -

AMD wont have an answer for 3080 or 3090.
    That's still less than 600 for (hopefully) the same if not better performance of the 2080TI, I'll happily spend $600 :>

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    These top graphic cards are a scam, I will never be ready for them, because even if I buy one, two months later there's another one. I prefer to go with a middle one and stick with it for many years. I have a 1070 which was pretty expensive 3 years ago or so and by the looks of it I won't be needing another one for a long time, since I don't play 4k and lots of Hz, I'm perfectly happy with 1440p. At that time I bought it because my older card sucked in Witcher 3.
    AMD havent released anything competitive since 2013, and Nvidia doesnt change generations more often than 2-3 years.

- - - Updated - - -

That's still less than 600 for (hopefully) the same if not better performance of the 2080TI, I'll happily spend $600 :>
    $600 is going to be the MSRP (or $650). It would be really hard to find MSRP card shortly after launch (as always) and you probably shouldnt buy the bottom model if it's going to be anything comparable in powerdraw as 2080Ti, which is likely since Turing>Ampere wont bring any efficiency benefits except the die shrink.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

AMD havent released anything competitive since 2013, and Nvidia doesnt change generations more often than 2-3 years.

- - - Updated - - -

$600 is going to be the MSRP (or $650). It would be really hard to find MSRP card shortly after launch (as always) and you probably shouldnt buy the bottom model if it's going to be anything comparable in powerdraw as 2080Ti, which is likely since Turing>Ampere wont bring any efficiency benefits except the die shrink.
    My budget for a card is $600-$800 so I mean if the 3080 is a little over 800 or right at 800 I'm going with the 3080 lol

Looking forward to big NAVI since my 5700 XT is pretty great, but at UW 1440p 120hz it can struggle in certain high demanding games. If it's anywhere close to $500 I'll probably pick one up post-launch with a good third party one.

AMD will have something competitive with at least the 3080 this go round...

All of the 30 series cards are going to be built on the 8nm Samsung node while AMD has finally figured out their power consumption issues. When you add in the fact that AMD's offerings will be on 7nm TSMC, they'll definitely be more efficient than the 30 series cards.

Nvidia will probably brute force things through with the triple slot 3090 and titan cards, but everywhere else in the line up AMD should have an answer.

Basically, wait until AMDs cards launch in November before buying a card.

*AMD haven't had a halo product or competitive top end product since 290x.

But they've been competitive with pricing for quite some time. That probably isn't going to change. They won't have a 3090 competitor, at least till they get the tech Sony made for PS5 to RDNA3. But they should be able to get near the 3080, assuming the leaks of 3090 and 3080 performance are true.. And RNDA2 actually scales past 56CUs. And as the cost for chips isn't all that much. I can see them putting 3080 performance for around $600.

But who knows, at this point am starting to get tired of leaks and speculation. At least we will know if the Nvidia leaks are true. We may actually have a 4k gaming card isn't stupidly expensive.. Granted $600 is still hilariously high for a that GPU size is we compare to the past and look at chip prices and wafer costs.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    *AMD haven't had a halo product or competitive top end product since 290x.

But they've been competitive with pricing for quite some time. That probably isn't going to change. They won't have a 3090 competitor, at least till they get the tech Sony made for PS5 to RDNA3. But they should be able to get near the 3080, assuming the leaks of 3090 and 3080 performance are true.. And RNDA2 actually scales past 56CUs. And as the cost for chips isn't all that much. I can see them putting 3080 performance for around $600.

But who knows, at this point am starting to get tired of leaks and speculation. At least we will know if the Nvidia leaks are true. We may actually have a 4k gaming card isn't stupidly expensive.. Granted $600 is still hilariously high for a that GPU size is we compare to the past and look at chip prices and wafer costs.
    Realistically with DLSS 2.0 and whatever AMD's answer to that is, we'll see good 4k capable cards for $300-$400.

Anyways, we're supposedly entering a time where GPU's are going to be changing pretty rapidly for the next few years.

On the Nvidia side: Ampere blows Turing out of the water... Hopper is going to blow Ampere out of the water.
    On the AMD side: RDNA 2 blows RDNA 1 out of the water... RDNA 3 is going to blow RDNA 2 out of the water.

The one wildcard will probably be if Nvidia or AMD manages to fully buy the other off of TSMCs 5nm node. Nvidia screwed up with Ampere and got bought out of TSMCs 7nm node, which is why we're going to have a more competitive generation than normal.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-08-26 at 02:55 PM.

hell, I'm not even ready for the previous gen gpus. Still rockin 970, but it runs factorio alright and that's all that matters