Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Details you hate in movies you otherwise enjoy/love?

Liking a movie, or any media, doesn't equal liking every single aspect of it. A lot of us surely do feel that no movie is entirely flawless.

For me, one such moment would be the explanation for how you die for reals if you die in The Matrix. "Your mind makes it real" is just a copout. Your brain simply doesn't have that power, or anyone with violent dreams would be a goner.

What's your "meh" moment in movies you otherwise enjoy?

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Oh, and let's not forget that the alien mothership in Independence Day was Macintosh compatible.
    It was compatible becuase we build our tech around the crashed UFO.

More infuriating for me is, if characters get knocked out for minutes or hours for screenplay convenience.

Any plot drama that could be solved by two people talking to each other for 30 seconds. There are movies where the one of the main issues is people not communicating and that's fine because that's actually the focus, but so many bad but still somewhat enjoyable movies rely on people not talking like humans to each other.

I have the perfect example of this lol. I absolutely hate psychedelic cinematography, where the camera goes blurry and lights start flashing as it tries to simulate first-person hallucination with dumbass visual effects and awful music. It yanks me out of my immersion like little else.

Now irl I am not at all opposed to the occasional and always responsible shroom trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Any plot drama that could be solved by two people talking to each other for 30 seconds. There are movies where the one of the main issues is people not communicating and that's fine because that's actually the focus, but so many bad but still somewhat enjoyable movies rely on people not talking like humans to each other.
    Oh yes, the misunderstanding/no communication plot device. It's used ironically in so many shows made for kids yet it's so common even in movies catered to adults.

One that stands out to me is the T Rex attack in Jurassic Park, when its eating the goat its enclosure is clearly at road level, yet Grant and Lex have to repel down a good 20 or 30 ft to get away.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    One that stands out to me is the T Rex attack in Jurassic Park, when its eating the goat its enclosure is clearly at road level, yet Grant and Lex have to repel down a good 20 or 30 ft to get away.
    This one bugged me so much i looked it up one night and seems its supposed to be due to a slop/cliff
    https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...just-came-from

On Topic: pretty much every movie that launches/shows nuclear ICBMs gets it wrong.... being a former Launch Control Officer I notice it but I just let it go most of the time.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Supposedly "elaborate" security systems or situations that have a blatantly obvious flaw.
    Example: In Mission Impossible, the NSA workstation that has lasers over the vent, audio sensors that detect anything above a whisper, temperature sensors in the room, hyper secure doors, and floors that sense even a droplet of water.

Obvious flaw that wouldn't exist irl? The station itself would also be inaccessible unless security checks were previously met. i.e. when the door is locked with no user inside, the station wouldn't be accessible.

Basically, It annoys me when I'm forced to believe that the same person/team that came up with this incredibly elaborate security system or facility design, were also incompetent enough to overlook one of the simplest possible ways to secure something.

Bonus gripe: Its not 100% on topic, but one trend I currently loathe in movies, is the franchise requirement. I know I don't speak for everyone, but I really miss just a great standalone flick that ties up all strings by the end, and am sick and tired of 120 minutes of setup, only to have it ruined by the "payoff" being nothing more than a lead into the next film.
    Last edited by Carnivale; 2020-08-26 at 04:12 PM.
    [Insert Witty Signature Here]

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivale View Post
    Bonus gripe: Its not 100% on topic, but one trend I currently loathe in movies, is the franchise requirement. I know I don't speak for everyone, but I really miss just a great standalone flick that ties up all strings by the end, and am sick and tired of 120 minutes of setup, only to have it ruined by the "payoff" being nothing more than a lead into the next film.
    When I saw Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, I knew nothing about it and I didn't know it was part of a trilogy. So they set it up early in the movie that they have to make this long journey, and I didn't check the time, but I felt like I'd been the theater for ages and they were still nowhere near their goal. I was relieved that it just stopped mid-story, but also annoyed it ended without finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivale View Post

I agree. It's especially infuriating when the movie then flops, and is left unresolved. The Amazing Spider-Man 2, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword... There are so many that so clearly had sequels written into the very story, and it's horrible. Just having the buildup in the first movie is a drag, such as with King Arthur.

They should make movies great on their own and THEN, if they're a success and it makes sense, they can make a sequel. *firm nod*

- - - Updated - - -

When I saw Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, I knew nothing about it and I didn't know it was part of a trilogy. So they set it up early in the movie that they have to make this long journey, and I didn't check the time, but I felt like I'd been the theater for ages and they were still nowhere near their goal. I was relieved that it just stopped mid-story, but also annoyed it ended without finishing.
    I remember shouting "WHAT, IT ENDS THERE???" and was ready to rage most gloriously until my brother reminded me that it was going to be part of a trilogy... XD
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-08-27 at 12:06 AM.

My biggest gripe is definitely the non-communication thing. It's wildly frustrating to me when a simple misunderstanding which becomes the central conflict of a plot. It seems to be the cause of every dramatic movie/show ever.

Kind of extending into that is characters not acting reasonably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Liking a movie, or any media, doesn't equal liking every single aspect of it. A lot of us surely do feel that no movie is entirely flawless.

For me, one such moment would be the explanation for how you die for reals if you die in The Matrix. "Your mind makes it real" is just a copout. Your brain simply doesn't have that power, or anyone with violent dreams would be a goner.

What's your "meh" moment in movies you otherwise enjoy?
    Basically every horror movie cliche. Falling while running away, going upstairs instead of out the front door, etc. The slow-moving antagonist that catches up to like, NFL players running at breakneck speed.

Oh oh, and when the much-stronger antagonist gets their hands on the protagonist, but toys with them instead of killing them immediately like they did every other thing they come across.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-08-27 at 02:39 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that bugs me, is that when the film isn't consistent with the story. Take Interstellar as an example, it required a rocket to get out of Earth's gravity, yet, they manage to escape from a planet with much higher gravity, with nothing else then a shitty (and totally sci-fi) space ship. Why in the world haven't they used that ship to get out of Earth?

Planets with one culture in sci fi movies. For example desert planet with only 1 type of climate, cities and people. An Amish farm planet etc.

And most of all, humanoid aliens. If they exist, there is literally no way they would look like different colored humans with a funky forehead or horns instead of hair unless they've evolved on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    One thing that bugs me, is that when the film isn't consistent with the story. Take Interstellar as an example, it required a rocket to get out of Earth's gravity, yet, they manage to escape from a planet with much higher gravity, with nothing else then a shitty (and totally sci-fi) space ship. Why in the world haven't they used that ship to get out of Earth?
    After numerous viewings, I've come to the conclusion that Interstellar isn't this masterpiece of scientific logic that people hail it as. We never even get an answer to how they saved humanity, after all that build-up.

That's one thing I dislike in several movies I otherwise enjoy, actually. Inconclusive/vague endings. I see it as the writers running out of ideas, unless they REALLY lay the foundation for viewers to make a conclusion of their own, such as in Prisoners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Basically every horror movie cliche. Falling while running away, going upstairs instead of out the front door, etc. The slow-moving antagonist that catches up to like, NFL players running at breakneck speed.

Oh oh, and when the much-stronger antagonist gets their hands on the protagonist, but toys with them instead of killing them immediately like they did every other thing they come across.
    Lmao! The trope where the antagonist never runs whilst the victim is legging it throughout and still getting caught, is downright jarring. Especially in horror where the antagonist is 100% human.

I think that musical montages in movies or tv shows should be illegal. They rarely serve a good purpose other than to eat time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I think that musical montages in movies or tv shows should be illegal. They rarely serve a good purpose other than to eat time.
    Blasphemy, they're critical to the story:

10+ Year Old Account
    Girlfriend walks in boyfriend standing behind her mom while doing the Heimlich Maneuver.

"Honey it's not what it looks like, let me explain!"

Girlfriend storms out. He doesn't explain. She doesn't have a rational thought in her body nor does the mother ever say anything.

Rest of the movie is him trying to win her back.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Planets with one culture in sci fi movies. For example desert planet with only 1 type of climate, cities and people. An Amish farm planet etc.

And most of all, humanoid aliens. If they exist, there is literally no way they would look like different colored humans with a funky forehead or horns instead of hair unless they've evolved on earth.
    Depends. Having multiple cultures could be something that's unique to Earth. Its easy to imagine societies where one culture prevailed over others and then genocided everyone else, or societies that never had multiple cultures to start with. Our planet could've gone that way if the Nazis won, for example.

Regarding humanoid aliens - could be explained easily (and is, in some movies / books) by everyone being seeded from the same generic template.

I know it's central to the plot, but I wish John Wick's dog wasn't killed.

My wife and I love the "vigilante kills many jerks" movies, but she won't watch the Wick series because the dog dies. It's not as much fun watching them without her.