Page 9 of 186 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Visually looks really nice, and the setting is quite good. The only question - what about endgame? Not sure about everyone else, but to me the key point is endgame activities when it comes to MMORPG experience. Take for example Black Desert - visually impressive, nice combat, but endgame is all about grinding helpless npc dummies who can't even hit you and it fails to capture attention of someone who experienced WoW raids or dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Thokri View Post
    That is drawing point of mmo, at least for me. Without dungeons, raids and pvp, why on earth you would touch mmo anyway?
    What part of "small groups in instanced content" formula seems massively multiplayer to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    What part of "small groups in instanced content" formula seems massively multiplayer to you?
    Same as crafting alone and pokemon battles, quests that can be done alone, even being able to kill any mob alone.. dipshit.

I would not mind mmo without small scale dungeons and only raid-types. Sadly it is just not viable with modern gamers or making multiplayer game where you cannot do anything alone.
    Last edited by Thokri; 2020-08-26 at 02:13 PM.
    Working customer support really has made me support genocides.

The no mounts thing is a dealbreaker for me. Didn't find my fun in GW2 until they added mounts neither, but then again they've got the best system/style of them out of any MMO now.

Also, ranged combat mechanics. What an absolute drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Thokri View Post
    Same as crafting alone and pokemon battles, quests that can be done alone, even being able to kill any mob alone.. dipshit.

I would not mind mmo without small scale dungeons and only raid-types. Sadly it is just not viable with modern gamers or making multiplayer game where you cannot do anything alone.
    The question was about what exactly anything you've mentioned has to do with MMO specifically. Focusing on instanced PvE makes the game coop with fancy looking lobby (FFXIV, for example), not MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

The question was about what exactly anything you've mentioned has to do with MMO specifically. Focusing on instanced PvE makes the game coop with fancy looking lobby (FFXIV, for example), not MMO.
    Sigh.

As I mentioned it is not viable (Unless you have unlimited budget for devs and every player has personal supercomputer and live next to server hub with direct line).
    AQ event is exactly why stuff is instanced. No one enjoys lag.
    Non-instanced bosses was fine back on day when gamers were rare and server requirement for each player was A LOT less. Even then big events were nightmares. Doing one hit in 30 min fight on big dragon is not really enjoyable or having nothign to do because some other people killed big boss and you have to wait for long time.

Smaller group size content is necessary to cater for bigger customer base. If it was only solo or raids, there would be a lot of less players which would make filling raids even harder and I don't have time to list every god damn other reason why having game only with massive bosses would be stupid.

Small instanced group content/solo is not part of MMO definition but necessary for it to be actually viable game. I can't really figure simpler way to explain it.

Your argument is like saying "LOL IT IS NOT MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER BECAUSE THERE ARE NOT MILLION PLAYERS ONLINE IN SAME SPOT"

MMO/MMORPG/fps are just words to narrow definition of something, never precise description.

PVP is whole different thing and I don't have patience try to be kindergarten teacher explaining why but many points I mentioned already apply there.
    Last edited by Thokri; 2020-08-26 at 05:10 PM.
    Working customer support really has made me support genocides.

Your definition of MMO is extremely narrow-minded. So long as a game has large player pools, open world areas, and the ability for said player pool to meet and interact with one another (say... by deciding to group up to go run some instanced content), a game is an MMO. Destiny 2 is definitely an MMO. Plenty of other "fancy looking lobby" games are MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Ranged combat is terrible. You can't shoot through other players, so it's impossible to tag mobs when you have 3-4 different players all around one mob. You can't move and shoot your with your staff. Staff ranged abilities are damn near invisible when you try to cast it at a long range. The graphic indicator of where you spell will land is just this thin white line that is easily hidden by just grass and bushes on the ground.

Melee combat is much more fun and 10 times easier than range.
    Your not supposed to be able to shoot through players or anything unless that ability has penetration, everyone is too used to easy combat in WoW that you dont really need to pay attention to much, there will always be combat you dont enjoy to stick to the ones thats the most fun, axe is very strong though.

thats not what defines an MMO, you have 1000 players on the same server that can all group up together if they want and play, games like elite dangerous are not MMOs because you can only interact with a small number of players on the same map.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-08-26 at 06:34 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

ok, so correct me if i'm wrong but... the only way to try this preview.. is to pre-order first? meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    ok, so correct me if i'm wrong but... the only way to try this preview.. is to pre-order first? meh.
    Or to have been part of earlier alphas.

Recall that the game was planned to be fully released at this point. This preview is really just Amazon throwing a bone to people that have supported the project given it is now delayed for several months.

Candidly, I hope the game succeeds,but given its current state I think AGS has a long row to hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brautigan79 View Post
    Or to have been part of earlier alphas.
    How does that work?

I was part of the earlier alpha but IIRC one of the times I launched steam it said they revoked my access after it ended.

Maybe it was beta by then, iono.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2020-08-26 at 07:50 PM.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

The game doesn't look very interesting. Though my views come from watching asmongolds stream.

The world looks pretty, but thats pretty much all of it.

Mechanically fighting looks boring af.
    Can't really say much about the story, but from what I can gather it is pretty generic.
    Characters look boring too since the game art style choice is "realistic". For example, wow has the 'cartoony style'. They can put anything in the game and it makes sense, but in "realistic" game, everything looks the same.

Again, what I can say is what I can see which is just seeing someone else play it. No interest sparked to this game yet.

I think the setting is pretty good, love the concept of an age of exploration MMO with fantasy elements. If it was up to me I'd maybe make it a bit more realistic and have lighter fantasy/magic that ramps up later on. I know it's fantasy, but remove anything that's too medieval (before 1400ish) and cap it at around the 1700s, maybe add some primitive steampunk tech.

In terms of graphics and polish, I think it's great, other than the recent blurriness. I don't really agree with those that say MMOs need to have cartoon/stylized graphics yet they kinda have a point with most like MMOs that came before, but I think Lumberyard does a good job. This also goes with setting above, but with an engine like this you can have a more toned down but detailed style rather than spiky/oversized fantasy that's too common.

Speaking of Lumberyard, this might be unpopular considering the opinion of that game on this site, but if anything I'd make this game the fantasy version of Star Citizen. Less of the groundbreaking tech side, more of the concepts of the world and the economy (players can't control everything), how it's more of an action game than RPG and the simlike element.

Doesn't need to be a full sim, but I'd like a game with more weight to everything. Too much gamey stuff these days... Ashes looks cool and all but the premise is super gamey and it's usual fantasy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I'm also baffled devs are still trying to make these sort of PvP focussed MMO's. Have any of them ever been successful in the West since the MMO boom?
    I'd assume that 1) they think WoW and FF14 have the PvE MMO market cornered, which may not be too far from the truth, and more importantly 2) go for the LoL/Fortnite/etc PvP focused audience, mistakenly believing MMOs interests that demographic perhaps.

Really I'd question even releasing a brand new MMO now, when gaming is a whole is so oversaturated with already existing ones and MMO-lite mechanics are in almost every single genre known to man. Everybody wants a piece of the live service action and communicating via the internet to random people is easier than ever, MMOs have lost a lot of what made them special 15-20 years ago.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'd assume that 1) they think WoW and FF14 have the PvE MMO market cornered, which may not be too far from the truth, and more importantly 2) go for the LoL/Fortnite/etc PvP focused audience, mistakenly believing MMOs interests that demographic perhaps.

Really I'd question even releasing a brand new MMO now, when gaming is a whole is so oversaturated with already existing ones and MMO-lite mechanics are in almost every single genre known to man. Everybody wants a piece of the live service action and communicating via the internet to random people is easier than ever, MMOs have lost a lot of what made them special 15-20 years ago.
    I think there is a desire for another AAA MMO for the people who don't want WoW/FF14 when a new MMO comes out (which is getting rarer for sure) there tends to be a big group that flocks towards them so I think there is some demand (tho prob not enough to justify a AAA budget)

And ofcourse there is a not insignificant chance that this group is looking for something that cannot be found, their youth and innocence that has since been lost.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    The game doesn't look very interesting. Though my views come from watching asmongolds stream.

Mechanically fighting looks boring af.
    I watched that and also Upper Echelon's stream of it. Had the exact same reaction: "This game looks boring AF".

I mean, it honestly looks like something from 10 years ago. Uninspired damage spongy enemies, with dull combat that doesn't feel like it has any impact. I watched UEG literally shoot a skeleton in the head with a musket 15 times before it died.

This game is going to flop hard. There's just nothing interesting there.

It did not look great from what I've seen, also there is no jumping? I thought I saw that there was no jumping which would be a huge blow to the game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I think there is a desire for another AAA MMO for the people who don't want WoW/FF14 when a new MMO comes out (which is getting rarer for sure) there tends to be a big group that flocks towards them so I think there is some demand (tho prob not enough to justify a AAA budget)

And ofcourse there is a not insignificant chance that this group is looking for something that cannot be found, their youth and innocence that has since been lost.
    Yep desire is there. I want to play game like wow that isn't wow.

But focused on pvp? This is just not going to work.
    Lets be clear, pvp crowd is impossible to satisfy as half of them want perfect balance and half of them want to overgear and pwn noobs.
    Massive rpg battles sounds good but doesn't work. And a reason why GW2 didn't really succeed until they added pve there.

Game really looks like its setting out to repeat BDO's mistakes.

They initially intended the game to be a pvp one at end game so there is very little to no pve endgame from my understanding. The combat is souls except it doesn't seem to have the souls bosses which is the core of souls.

Looks like it'll appeal to the same kinds of people BDO does but wanted a western art style.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Why do people keep saying the game is pvp focused? I thought they changed that.

But yeah, it looks nice, but the endgame hasn't been touched on - will there be raids? Dungeons? Housing?