Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's always weird to me to see this progression of events.

X exists.
    Some people don't like X.
    X gets removed.
    Other people ask why X was removed.
    People crowd in to tell them, "It's no big deal, why are you making a big deal out of it?!?!"

I mean, clearly some people made a big enough deal about it to have it removed. They made a big enough deal out of it to push for changes. But the people commenting on the change are the ones making a big deal out of it?
    People did make such a big deal about it back then. People complained and said it felt out of place and had no place in the game yet it wasn't changed. I highly doubt a stink was made about it recently or else there would be links and threads here and on the official forums about it.

I think many are missing the boat. The word is very misogynistic especially the way it was used in that context. Frankly, it should not have been in there in the first place. With the recent environment, making this change is a good one.

As for all the SWJ bashers and anti PC crowd, it's just their cover to be able to use bigoted terms freely without consequence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    It's a VIDEO GAME! It's not real! And Sylvanas is a mass murderer, why does it matter if she was insulted?
    You miss the point.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    People did make such a big deal about it back then. People complained and said it felt out of place and had no place in the game yet it wasn't changed. I highly doubt a stink was made about it recently or else there would be links and threads here and on the official forums about it.

I think many are missing the boat. The word is very misogynistic especially the way it was used in that context. Frankly, it should not have been in there in the first place. With the recent environment, making this change is a good one.

As for all the SWJ bashers and anti PC crowd, it's just their cover to be able to use bigoted terms freely without consequence.

- - - Updated - - -

You miss the point.
    Not really, and you're proving my point but what you're saying actually. "It's misogynistic." Yeah, exactly. It's censorship. Does Sylvanas somehow represents women because she has a vagina? No, lmao.

Genocide, racism, torture, but one orc boy (portrayed as a bad guy, no less) saying a mean word to a woman who uses chemical weapons and raises the dead to fight for her? That's heckin unacceptable! It is current year!

- - - Updated - - -

X exists.
    X gets removed.
    People crowd in to tell them, "It's no big deal, why are you making a big deal out of it?!?!"

I mean, clearly some people made a big enough deal about it to have it removed. They made a big enough deal out of it to push for changes. But the people commenting on the change are the ones making a big deal out of it?
    Exactly, lol. It's so transparent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Personally, I don't understand the removal, nor do I really understand the furor surrounding it. The dialogue was fine as it was, and Garrosh calling Sylvanas a bitch in a moment of agitation pretty much matches Garrosh's characterization to a "T." That being said, I don't really care overly that it was removed either, because it doesn't really change anything about the scene or what have you. Danuser's tweet about is typically oddball - the man doesn't seem to communicate very well in an organic manner, but given that I've also got issues with that I can't really hold it against him or mock him too much without being hypocritical. All in all, I would just say this is a somewhat stupid decision on his part, given that any contingent who was upset that Garrosh called Sylvanas a bitch would have to be vanishingly small. That Danuser doesn't specify, and the manner in which he defends the removal, leads one to think the decision was personal to him is... well... kind of silly.

All in all this isn't a huge deal, and it's kind of silly in every respect.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Genocide, racism, torture, but one orc boy (portrayed as a bad guy, no less) saying a mean word to a woman who uses chemical weapons and raises the dead to fight for her? That's heckin unacceptable! It is current year!

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, lol. It's so transparent.
    Misses the point as well. It's about trying not not codify that language. I don't care if people don't have issues with it. It doesn't bother me, but I can recognize the problems with such language. Is it acceptable to call black people niggers? What about Chinese people chinks? Or Jews kikes?

I suspect the answer is no even for videogame characters no matter the circumstance. So why is it OK to call Sylvanas a bitch? It's not. It wasn't OK then, and people complained then too.

I get many don't like her and that is justification but bigoted language really has no place.

15+ Year Old Account

X exists.
    X gets removed.

"Some people" reminds me of Twitter in a nutshell.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

The usage of the term was a commentary on Garrosh.

Not on the person who wrote the line.

Not Blizzard.

It was perfectly within his character to use the term. Is it a gendered, sexist term? Absolutely. Does Garrosh strike you as someone that would avoid using sexist terminology when he's presented with an opportunity to take an easy shot?

Misses the point as well. It's about trying not not codify that language. I don't care if people don't have issues with it. It doesn't bother me, but I can recognize the problems with such language. Is it acceptable to call black people niggers? What about Chinese people chinks? Or Jews kikes?

I suspect the answer is no even for videogame characters no matter the circumstance. So why is it OK to call Sylvanas a bitch? It's not. It wasn't OK then, and people complained then too.

I get many don't like her and that is justification but bigoted language really has no place.
    Sylvanas is a bitch, and much- much worse than that, even. Cope.

In FFXIV there's some NPC's, albeit not really high on the importance list that call your character a bitch, and only if your character is female.

In FFXIV there's some NPC's, albeit not really high on the importance list that call your character a bitch, and only if your character is female.
    Based FFXIV.

Is it acceptable to call black people niggers? What about Chinese people chinks? Or Jews kikes?
    No, it's not acceptable for actual people to say those things.

But it would be acceptable if you're trying to portray a fictional character in a certain way. A fictional racist would totally say all those things, just like a real life racist might.

Garrosh is a bad person. Sylvanas is a bad person. Garrosh used a bad word to talk about a bad person.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

I dunno man the onlycuxklets that seem to be triggered are the man babies that think it's OK to call someone a bitch.
    If a woman did something nasty to me i'd call her bitch or worse. Don't use the word cuck ifbyou have no clue what it means when it would better describe the man who treated a bitch with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    No, it's not acceptable for actual people to say those things.

But it would be acceptable if you're trying to portray a fictional character in a certain way. A fictional racist would totally say all those things, just like a real life racist might.

Garrosh is a bad person. Sylvanas is a bad person. Garrosh used a bad word to talk about a bad person.
    Furthermore, a person or character who genocides, uses chemical weapons and necromancy is a bitch, cunt, dick or whatever else.

Why even visit the thread or post in it if you don't care?
    Mostly cause this thread has 11 pages and I'm really baffled how this one incredibly insignificant thing is somehow generating this much discussion so I got curious what people were saying.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    If a woman did something nasty to me i'd call her bitch or worse. Don't use the word cuck ifbyou have no clue what it means when it would better describe the man who treated a bitch with respect.
    Context is key ain't it. Read what that was in response to. Just using the posters language against him.

- - - Updated - - -

2 wrongs don't make it right.

Why do people give a shit about what is being used in a work of fiction? Does everything nowadays needs to be pussified?

Man, this thread really shows how disparate the online world and its most active users are from reality.

"no not the heckin 'b' word in my current year!!!"
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2020-08-28 at 01:20 PM.

Context is key ain't it. Read what that was in response to. Just using the posters language against him.

- - - Updated - - -

2 wrongs don't make it right.
    It wasn't wrong in the first place, it's fiction.

I just love how objectively bad ACTIONS in a video game is fine - "it's a game brah!" - "in the name of war" (genocide, or just simple mass murdering, killing innocents etc), but when one fictional character SAYS "bitch" to another fictional character is frowned upon. This is amazing.

I feel old.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    I just love how objectively bad ACTIONS in a video game is fine - "it's a game brah!" - "in the name of war" (genocide, or just simple mass murdering, killing innocents etc), but when one fictional character SAYS "bitch" to another fictional character is frowned upon. This is amazing.

I feel old.

A Horde soldier may have brutally murdered this woman and left her child to watch and cry at her lifeless corpse, but I bet you at least he didn't call her a "bitch."

Now that would be truly awful.