Page 10 of 186 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It looks interesting, and I want to try it, but... PvP focused just doesn't work in this genre, skill shot gameplay doesn't really work in this genre either...

I've read that the reason the game has been delayed into 2021 is because the PvE side doesn't exist and pretty much all people this game is aimed at care about the PvE side. Even PvPers are going to want a solid PvE side as it's the main way the story/character/progression moves forward in an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Why do people keep saying the game is pvp focused? I thought they changed that.

But yeah, it looks nice, but the endgame hasn't been touched on - will there be raids? Dungeons? Housing?
    Nothing so far. Not even plans yet. But the problem is lack of classes and lack of satisfying combat.
    Lets be honest, right click spamming isn't exactly how it will work out.

Well... to be fair they are planning to do something similar to warfronts. PVE wars where you are dumped on map with bunch of people and fight hordes of monsters.
    This aint gon work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    It looks interesting, and I want to try it, but... PvP focused just doesn't work in this genre, skill shot gameplay doesn't really work in this genre either...

I've read that the reason the game has been delayed into 2021 is because the PvE side doesn't exist and pretty much all people this game is aimed at care about the PvE side. Even PvPers are going to want a solid PvE side as it's the main way the story/character/progression moves forward in an MMO.
    Skillshots work, holy shot best combat system is skillshot based even in mmo, I had tera in mind. BUT new world doesn't have skillshots lol, ranged abilities sucks donkey cock.

But yeah, it looks nice, but the endgame hasn't been touched on - will there be raids? Dungeons? Housing?
    It's definitely not PVP focused. There is a ton to do outside of PVP, it's never forced on you. It has its PVP elements and PVE stuff, game is barely complete. I'm enjoying it a lot more than the stale MMO shit I've been shoveled for the last decade and I've not once engaged in PVP. I could imagine there will be plenty more PVE stuff once the game is "done". I think a lot of people in this community are just bitter. The game has a lot of issues but also a lot of potential.

I've been playing it a lot for two days and I see people PVPing out in the world but I usually ignore it. So far I've been working on my crafting skills, hunting mobs for pelts and helping the settlement I'm living in expand. There's been so much to do that I never find myself standing around going "now what?" like I normally would in an MMO.

Also I don't get what some people are whining about with the ranged sucking. It doesn't. Maybe they're doing it wrong or using a weapon without applying skills. I have my bow skill up to I think 16 and it's great. Especially the shotgun-like spread shot that fires several arrows at once. Up-close that's pretty much a death sentence with the proper amount of dexterity.
    Last edited by Forteofgray; 2020-08-28 at 08:49 AM.

If they are tacking PvE onto a PvP last minute because they realised they are sitting on a flop, it doesn't bode will for the quality of that PvE and its ability to keep people engaged.

besides, with the very shallow gameplay I don't think it matters what there is to do in the game.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    It's definitely not PVP focused. There is a ton to do outside of PVP, it's never forced on you. It has its PVP elements and PVE stuff, game is barely complete. I'm enjoying it a lot more than the stale MMO shit I've been shoveled for the last decade and I've not once engaged in PVP. I could imagine there will be plenty more PVE stuff once the game is "done". I think a lot of people in this community are just bitter. The game has a lot of issues but also a lot of potential.

I've been playing it a lot for two days and I see people PVPing out in the world but I usually ignore it. So far I've been working on my crafting skills, hunting mobs for pelts and helping the settlement I'm living in expand. There's been so much to do that I never find myself standing around going "now what?" like I normally would in an MMO.

Also I don't get what some people are whining about with the ranged sucking. It doesn't. Maybe they're doing it wrong or using a weapon without applying skills. I have my bow skill up to I think 16 and it's great. Especially the shotgun-like spread shot that fires several arrows at once. Up-close that's pretty much a death sentence with the proper amount of dexterity.
    It is pvp focused no matter how you spin it. Thing is, just a first glance of combat/talent/no-class system tells you, creators had first and foremost pvp in mind.

I have been thinking what went wrong and it seems like at the very beginning of making creators forgot to actually pick a target audience.

Like, with every product you try to build a psychological profile of your potential customers and make a product that appeals to them.
    Instead it looks like a couple of dudes sat together and thought it would be cool to make mmo.

Why?

Because if you want to focus on pvp you need to make sure the combat is actually fun and engaging.
    If you want to focus on pve you have to make some sort of story and variety in quests. Maybe even some bosses.

Game has neither. 3 buttons, long animation skills, stunlocking.
    Generic copypasted quest.

As a pure sandbox game looks ok, but the thing is mmo is not suppose to be a pure sandbox like minecraft.

Not interested. I tried the beta a few months ago and didn't like it at all. Anything can happen until release next year, but until then i will stay away.

It isn't a PvP game. It's a survival PvE MMO. PvP is a very minor aspect of the game, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    It's definitely not PVP focused.
    They outright said it was initially, hence my comment. They recently have tried to pull a 180 (to much uproar from the people who had been keeping track of the game and wanted it to be what they initially said) and have a more PvE focus when they realized that they had no PvE end game and people were not happy about it. This happened around the time they delayed the launch.

So yes, they fully intended on this being PvP focused at end game. 100%.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Nothing so far. Not even plans yet. But the problem is lack of classes and lack of satisfying combat.
    Lets be honest, right click spamming isn't exactly how it will work out.

Well... to be fair they are planning to do something similar to warfronts. PVE wars where you are dumped on map with bunch of people and fight hordes of monsters.
    This aint gon work.

- - - Updated - - -

Skillshots work, holy shot best combat system is skillshot based even in mmo, I had tera in mind. BUT new world doesn't have skillshots lol, ranged abilities sucks donkey cock.
    I'm thinking you meant skillshot as in manual spell aiming with obvious zones for more damage, ie hheadshots. Is that not what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I'm thinking you meant skillshot as in manual spell aiming with obvious zones for more damage, ie hheadshots. Is that not what you meant?
    nah, skillshot term is much broader. check tera combat system

It's alright. Combat is clunky AF and the graphics look dated even on the highest settings.

Overall I would say the game is, generic and dated. Everything works almost exactly as you would think it does if you played any game in the last 20 years and the game looks about 10 years out-of-date as well.

I just got alpha key for new world but I am not sure if i test it myself. Probably

On the other hand ashes of creation looks better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    I just got alpha key for new world but I am not sure if i test it myself. Probably

On the other hand ashes of creation looks better and better.
    Why not? Not like its costs anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's alright. Combat is clunky AF and the graphics look dated even on the highest settings.

Overall I would say the game is, generic and dated. Everything works almost exactly as you would think it does if you played any game in the last 20 years and the game looks about 10 years out-of-date as well.
    The graphics are quite pretty, not sure what you're on about there.

the C word of meaningless continues to not mean anything so not sure what you mean. The combat is shallow in both its systems and execution and I do feel like its a bit too rigid / locks you in place for too long after attacks for the ARPG vibe its going for. I should be able to dodge or block more responsively with this flavor of game but it locks me in the animation for a bit too long last I tried it.

And of course, this kind of combat shines in a souls-like scenario not an open world MMO. It needs instanced PvE bosses and rails, which this game lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    The graphics are quite pretty, not sure what you're on about there.

the C word of meaningless continues to not mean anything so not sure what you mean. The combat is shallow in both its systems and execution and I do feel like its a bit too rigid / locks you in place for too long after attacks for the ARPG vibe its going for. I should be able to dodge or block more responsively with this flavor of game but it locks me in the animation for a bit too long last I tried it.

And of course, this kind of combat shines in a souls-like scenario not an open world MMO. It needs instanced PvE bosses and rails, which this game lacks.
    The thing is, with Souls combat one of the requirements to make it feel smooth and responsive is the incredible detail with hitboxes, and the underlying mechanics of things like parrying, stagger, and how stamina interacts with blocking and dodge-roll iframes.

I don't know enough about New World combat to tell how much of that is actually in the game, but it didn't look like ANY of it was. Hit boxes for melee seemed very blob-like, with hits being assigned in a very disconnected manner. Ranged attacks had a skill component to it, but also seemed....lacking somehow. It's hard to put a finger on.

And as you mentioned, boss fights don't really seem that interesting. Attack animations seem less about precision timing, and seem to suffer from typical MMO logic of hitpoint sponginess rather than skillful execution of attacks and dodges.

I don't know, all around I think "Clunky" describes the combat of New World pretty well. It just all around looks awkward and disconnected. Like a teenager trying to dance while afflicted by severe puberty uncoordination instead of a smooth, well choreographed fight.

@SirCowdog Issue is clunky gets tossed around and means something different to every person that says it to the point where its lost all meaning. When someone says that to me without describing the rest of their issue its basically like saying nothing at all.

I couldn't tell you about the hitboxes because the game locks you from making actions for so long after attacks that if I'm not already out of the way before the attack starts then I'm just getting hit. I honestly think if I clocked it it'd be around a full second after the attack ends before the game dodges when I'm spamming the dodge button.

Its like they're trying to use the commitment you have to attacks in monster hunter, but in a game that doesn't at all allow for it and is not designed around it. Open world MMO combat and souls just don't go together at all, I feel like the idea is fundamentally flawed from the ground up. If I'm being honest, souls combat is really shallow and not that interesting from the player side. What makes it amazing is how that combat plays off all the bosses and enemies and level design you experience along the way.

You can't do that in an open world mmo setting, you just can't. It needs to be mostly on rails, it needs to be instanced. Its the same thing every other open world game suffers from, you can't have meaningful well designed PvE content outside of an instance when you can't control for a number of factors.

You can't do that in an open world mmo setting, you just can't. It needs to be mostly on rails, it needs to be instanced. Its the same thing every other open world game suffers from, you can't have meaningful well designed PvE content outside of an instance when you can't control for a number of factors.
    What MMOs need it to try new things and evolve the MMO genre and not stick to the current system as now, you dont need things on the rails on an MMO, there needs to be systems within the game that generate random things like quests and such, and the current combat especially in WoW is just boring so more skill based combat should come into MMOs.

You can have meaningul PvE content outside of instances, even WoW does it but im sure New World is implementing its own version of dungeons at some point, MMOs need to do things differently from what WoW does or we just get lame boring games.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    What MMOs need it to try new things and evolve the MMO genre and not stick to the current system as now, you dont need things on the rails on an MMO, there needs to be systems within the game that generate random things like quests and such, and the current combat especially in WoW is just boring so more skill based combat should come into MMOs.
    Souls combat absolutely doesn't work in this setting with pure open world and just zergs of players.

You absolutely need it to be instanced.

You can have meaningul PvE content outside of instances, even WoW does it but im sure New World is implementing its own version of dungeons at some point, MMOs need to do things differently from what WoW does or we just get lame boring games.
    What good PvE content does WoW have outside of instances? Dailies?

WoW is the poster boy for my argument here, you picked the wrong game for your example.

10+ Year Old Account

WoW is the poster boy for my argument here, you picked the wrong game for your example.

Maybe not for Souls like combat but the combat in Wow works fine in non instanced content. You may not like it but you can't say it doesn't work. Its not revolutionary but its still fine. I don't think this new MMO should have Souls like combat though... its overrated and less fun.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Souls combat absolutely doesn't work in this setting with pure open world and just zergs of players.

You absolutely need it to be instanced.

The combat doesnt determine what works in an MMO, you can just zerg stuff down in WoW, but in New World you can fight much higher level enemies and still have a chance, not everyone runs around in groups and in NW you wont get exp if you dont hit it at least once.

New World should be putting in group based content anyway for example dungeons most probably, NW already has meaningful PvE content in the open world where you can do it solo or group up to make it easier just the same as the open world content for WoW, it doesnt need to be instanced to be good and even most of WoWs instanced content is not especially great anyway.

The basic combat model is pretty sound in NW, maybe could use more talent choices for weapons but those should come in time, it requires a little more skill and attention than the standard WoW combat model.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-08-28 at 10:47 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Only seen it while streamers play it. Nothing fancy or anything out of the ordinary. Yeah people might flock to it now and when it launches, cause its new and a "popular" MMORPG at launch.

Then give it a month, or a year. Would be surprised if this game is still talked alot about.

There literally nothing there that says this will be the next big MMO.

Streamers play it cause theres nothing going on in the MMORPG they usually play(wow).

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    works fine in non instanced content. You may not like it but you can't say it doesn't work. Its not revolutionary but its still fine.
    Works fine and all these caveats speaks for itself. The open world content is mostly trivial stuff you do the once for fun and then it quickly becomes chore activities.

Everything meaty that really shows off wows encounter design team is in instanced content.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The combat doesnt determine what works in an MMO
    I think you're confused as I'm specifically talking about the combat, are you responding to my post to change the subject?