Page 11 of 186 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    new world is a good game, but the combat system........ pressing the same one button over and over and over......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Only seen it while streamers play it. Nothing fancy or anything out of the ordinary. Yeah people might flock to it now and when it launches, cause its new and a "popular" MMORPG at launch.

Then give it a month, or a year. Would be surprised if this game is still talked alot about.

There literally nothing there that says this will be the next big MMO.

Streamers play it cause theres nothing going on in the MMORPG they usually play(wow).
    completely agree. playing it and watching streams it is very clear it wont be the next big thing. the combat system......very dissapointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Works fine and all these caveats speaks for itself. The open world content is mostly trivial stuff you do the once for fun and then it quickly becomes chore activities.

Everything meaty that really shows off wows encounter design team is in instanced content.

I think you're confused as I'm specifically talking about the combat, are you responding to my post to change the subject?
    Just the same in WoW the open world content you just do for the sake of it, the instanced content in WoW is not really any better, ESO does instanced content much better than WoW and has so much more than WoW.

The combat works for an MMO, the type of style doesnt determine if it works in an MMO anyway, its a more skill based combat and its not much different to ESO style, WoWs combat is old and antiquated so new MMOs need to develop newer styles.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

@SirCowdog Issue is clunky gets tossed around and means something different to every person that says it to the point where its lost all meaning. When someone says that to me without describing the rest of their issue its basically like saying nothing at all.

I couldn't tell you about the hitboxes because the game locks you from making actions for so long after attacks that if I'm not already out of the way before the attack starts then I'm just getting hit. I honestly think if I clocked it it'd be around a full second after the attack ends before the game dodges when I'm spamming the dodge button.

Its like they're trying to use the commitment you have to attacks in monster hunter, but in a game that doesn't at all allow for it and is not designed around it. Open world MMO combat and souls just don't go together at all, I feel like the idea is fundamentally flawed from the ground up. If I'm being honest, souls combat is really shallow and not that interesting from the player side. What makes it amazing is how that combat plays off all the bosses and enemies and level design you experience along the way.

You can't do that in an open world mmo setting, you just can't. It needs to be mostly on rails, it needs to be instanced. Its the same thing every other open world game suffers from, you can't have meaningful well designed PvE content outside of an instance when you can't control for a number of factors.
    I generally agree. Just dropping "it's clunky" without any further explanation of what that actually means is prett vague.

However, in a general sense I think it can at least be used as a ballpark descriptor that there's something fundamentally not good about the combat. Break out a thesaurus and look up clunky, and I'd imagine the associated words would give a general idea of the message that was trying to get across.

But yeah. The only game I've seen do action combat decently well was Guildwars 2. And that has its own share of problems. Even Dark Souls 1-3 pvp combat is notoriously laggy and full of gimmicks that rely on exploiting latency and poor hit detection for online play.

I think you're right that the combat of New World needs to be rethought. Maybe they can adapt the mechanics into something new by launch, I don't know. Maybe one Elon Musk has starlink running 5g speeds across the entire planet online hit detection will be good enough to ha e Souls combat in an MMO.

But that isn't now. And id they launch the game as it is....oof. Well, I won't say it'll fail, but I imagine other MMOs will eat its lunch.

So I have been playing till 12 level so far, everything people have been concerned about has proven to be true:

1. Veeeery boring combat system
    2. Super generic kill X fetch Y quests (makes you completely lose interest in story)
    3. Run everywhere and no jump

I will check it out more and write in this topic

10+ Year Old Account
    I played it two or three years ago, and I imagine the gameplay has changed quite a lot since then. Oddly, it was under NDA for most of this time despite AGS inviting streamers to stream it. I had forgotten about it until the NDA lifted recently; I had honestly thought they'd canned the product.

Anyway, most of it is probably just not my cup of tea.

I think they toned down the survival aspect of it, which is good, as the original iteration was way too punishing. You'd get out there, gather all these resources, and some higher level player would just murder you and take them. Clans of high level players would just roam killing low dudes because it was easier than gathering yourself. It might have been fun once you made it to high level and could join one of these roving bands of murderers, but it was waaaay too punishing to level, as you couldn't turn off pvp. It is one thing where, in a game like WoW, you might occasionally get griefed and corpse camped by a bored high level, it's another if the game design encourages masses of capped players to just go out and farm lowbies like they were prey.

The graphics are fine. Well done, but nothing remarkable. That's sort of my own taste though; there's so many of these semi-realistic graphics type games with their palates of browns and greys and greens that they all kinda look the same. I tend to gravitate towards games with unique art and broad colour palates for that reason, but there's nothing really wrong with the other way.

Combat was not very engaging or fun. Maybe it's better now, because at the time it was like one or two buttons only and was hopefully a placeholder for real combat design?

I enjoyed exploring. The environment was nice and the monsters (mostly animals and evil spirits in the areas I saw) were decent.

Even if all of that has improved since then, I don't really know what AGS is thinking sinking so much time and effort into a survival mmo. Even any MMO is a risky gamble right now when there's really a niche market for them and it's mostly held by franchises people are already heavily attached to. For every Rift or Guild Wars that has some staying power, there's like a dozen dead MMOs that never made it. I just think it's a bad genre to try to break into in the current era. I'm surprised they didn't drop the project; they canned Breakaway and it had a much more positive reception right out the gate.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    But yeah. The only game I've seen do action combat decently well was Guildwars 2. And that has its own share of problems. Even Dark Souls 1-3 pvp combat is notoriously laggy and full of gimmicks that rely on exploiting latency and poor hit detection for online play.
    Honestly there's a lot of games that do action combat well on the player end, the issue is that they're all almost exclusively pure open world games.

BDO is the perfect example of this. The combat on the player end is top tier and would be amazing... but the game completely lacks any decent PvE content. From start to finish you just round up mindless AI that just runs straight at you and does pretty much nothing. Even *if* the monsters had a decent AI or mechanics... its pure open world with no instanced content which means it still can't have decent encounter design because you can't control for how many people are fighting.

I think you're right that the combat of New World needs to be rethought. Maybe they can adapt the mechanics into something new by launch, I don't know. Maybe one Elon Musk has starlink running 5g speeds across the entire planet online hit detection will be good enough to ha e Souls combat in an MMO.

But that isn't now. And id they launch the game as it is....oof. Well, I won't say it'll fail, but I imagine other MMOs will eat its lunch.
    It'll have its niche, there's a bunch of games that exist like this its just none of them are very big. BDO is a great example, people talk up its life skills and what have you which is fine if that's what you want out of an MMO but if you're looking to really sink your teeth into PvE then I hope you like grinding enemies that barely fight back.

This games best hope if things stay as they are is gonna be similar, its gonna need the more life skills and RP type stuff to carry it because the combat won't.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the game fine the first or second day now it runs like ass. Only game on my PC running like ass too.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I played the game fine the first or second day now it runs like ass. Only game on my PC running like ass too.
    Same with me, I did join a low pop server, which is now high pop, so that's probably one of the reasons.

Game is extremely bland and boring pve wise. I've heard the quests remain exactly the same throughout. Crafting lacks any sort of depth whatsoever. NPCs are only in citites/towns and don't move?

No idea about PVP.

I also think the game is pretty ugly, and I hope the character customisation isn't final, or just dumbed down for this beta/preview.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2020-08-29 at 05:24 PM.

Honestly there's a lot of games that do action combat well on the player end, the issue is that they're all almost exclusively pure open world games.

BDO is the perfect example of this. The combat on the player end is top tier and would be amazing... but the game completely lacks any decent PvE content. From start to finish you just round up mindless AI that just runs straight at you and does pretty much nothing. Even *if* the monsters had a decent AI or mechanics... its pure open world with no instanced content which means it still can't have decent encounter design because you can't control for how many people are fighting.

It'll have its niche, there's a bunch of games that exist like this its just none of them are very big. BDO is a great example, people talk up its life skills and what have you which is fine if that's what you want out of an MMO but if you're looking to really sink your teeth into PvE then I hope you like grinding enemies that barely fight back.

This games best hope if things stay as they are is gonna be similar, its gonna need the more life skills and RP type stuff to carry it because the combat won't.
    I forgot about BDO! Yeah, had a lot of fun leveling a mage. But also got bored instantly after lvl 50 when I found out there was nothing of significance to do in PVE at level cap.

Maybe that's why I forgot about it? XD

Looks like an upgrade from Runescape. Possibly. Shame its 15 years too late.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

It's a fine MMO, maybe not a MMO that you'd sink 15 years of life into but that's fine, and it's fine in that regard. WoW was lightning in a bottle, I don't see such a breakthrough happening soon.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    It's a fine MMO, maybe not a MMO that you'd sink 15 years of life into but that's fine, and it's fine in that regard. WoW was lightning in a bottle, I don't see such a breakthrough happening soon.
    Based on the replies here, people think the MMO will crash and burn. I hope not but Amazon needs to..try a bit harder.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Based on the replies here, people think the MMO will crash and burn. I hope not but Amazon needs to..try a bit harder.
    Man people want everything to crash and burn nowadays, I just literally sigh at those comments. I'm playing it right now and it's an ok MMO, and that's alright in my book. Come on not every MMO's gonna be WoW. Even if it was a success of WoW's proportions everyone would doom & gloom it to shutdown. You know this.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Idea is still the easiest part of that equation, even if it's hard.

The other two parts are more difficult.

1) funding
    2) developers
    Funding is not entirely needed. Look at the large DLC-quality Skyrim mods for proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I forgot about BDO! Yeah, had a lot of fun leveling a mage. But also got bored instantly after lvl 50 when I found out there was nothing of significance to do in PVE at level cap.

Maybe that's why I forgot about it? XD
    There's a decent handful of eastern MMO's just like it. They tend to prefer action combat over tab target but they also always make mindless grinds for grindings sake without any decent PvE.

People freaking LOVE the idea of these pure open world games with no instanced content. Same thing with the "sandbox" games that always get hyped up. And they all have the exact same issues.

You need some amount of rails in an mmorpg, and you need instanced content if you want a chance at decent PvE. Just facts of life.

Man people want everything to crash and burn nowadays, I just literally sigh at those comments. I'm playing it right now and it's an ok MMO, and that's alright in my book. Come on not every MMO's gonna be WoW. Even if it was a success of WoW's proportions everyone would doom & gloom it to shutdown. You know this.
    Not really. I think people welcome more MMOs that appeal to a large base of people from all types, PVE and PVP, solo and group.

Unfortunately, a lot of mmos don't want or refuse to subscribe to this and implement a lot of shitty systems because "we have a vision." I don't think people want this to crash and burn, but it certainly doesn't look like a mmo that would appeal to many.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

i just cant get past the combat. and quite frankly dont see how anyone else can either. i mean ive played console games back in the 90s with a more in depth combat system.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Not really. I think people welcome more MMOs that appeal to a large base of people from all types, PVE and PVP, solo and group.

Unfortunately, a lot of mmos don't want or refuse to subscribe to this and implement a lot of shitty systems because "we have a vision." I don't think people want this to crash and burn, but it certainly doesn't look like a mmo that would appeal to many.
    Yeah, that's WoW. Rift is WoW, SWTOR is WoW in space. That sure did them good, right? Beacuse I'll totally go play a clone when I could play the original.

Yeah, that's WoW. Rift is WoW, SWTOR is WoW in space. That sure did them good, right? Beacuse I'll totally go play a clone when I could play the original.
    Never tried rift, really enjoyed my time with swtor. Still think it has the best questing experience I've played through that holds up even to this day. Just great campaigns, and 8 of them no less.

But yeah its fine to appeal to a niche, it just has to be done well. The combat in this game is trying to be souls-like, but it does it poorly. I honestly think its fixable, I feel like the intro experience is quite good and everything surrounding the combat feels good to me. Its really just the combat is bad, oh and the character creation could use some love.

Another session in:

1. Quests are still the same, so far I haven't encounter a SINGLE quest that isnt fetch & kill - this is really bad.
    2. Combat system still prefers melee. Fire staff sucks, flamethrower could be decent if not for low range (at this point its just better to melee) and mana usage
    3. UI is pretty bad, you literally cannot fast drag items, and it you are too slow it doesn't work too.
    4. Combat system is still pretty bad, not responsive as you would like it, slow, and has like almost zero skills.

And I had a quest to to walk 3.5Km straight, this is where i lost it. I am filling survey each time.

Funny enough they said New World will be PC ONLY but they designed UI just like it would be used on consoles