3+ Year Old Account

Question How can I start RPing ingame?

Hello again,

I've been building up a backstory for a character I have for a while and I'm looking to start actually RPing in WoW with her. I've made a 'copy' (Appearance wise) of her on a RP sever, but I'm not sure where to start in the community. Do I make a Guild or join one? Look for walk-up RP? I've already filled out some character profiles for her so she's a little bit established, but I don't know what else to do

(Sorry if this isn't allowed, I'm just looking for some help)
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-08-22 at 10:26 PM.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My best advice would be look for an RP guild, I don't RP but I play on an RP server and know a lot of RPers, and as far as I know, they all do it with their guild, aside from sometimes coming across random RP in the world, Good luck!

Try your realm Forum aswell.

Some guilds will surely have active threads.

Joining a guild is a good idea, but take a look at Blizzard's forums too. RP realms usually have busy forums, jump in. (Hopefully you've chosen one of the more active realms).

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Joining a guild is a good idea, but take a look at Blizzard's forums too. RP realms usually have busy forums, jump in. (Hopefully you've chosen one of the more active realms).
    I'm on Horde Moon Guard, but I have some friends who play on Wrymrest Accord. I usually don't post on Blizzard's website, but I'll take a look

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I'm on Horde Moon Guard, but I have some friends who play on Wrymrest Accord. I usually don't post on Blizzard's website, but I'll take a look
    Earthen Ring EU here, which is very very dead. But that's ok, I like a quiet server. Argent Dawn is where it's at for RP, and those forums are buzzing.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Earthen Ring EU here, which is very very dead. But that's ok, I like a quiet server. Argent Dawn is where it's at for RP, and those forums are buzzing.
    Uhh... I play on US servers, how are they for realm population?

Just slow walk into the Goldshire inn. You'll be fine.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Uhh... I play on US servers, how are they for realm population?
    No idea. But check out Blizzard's realm forums for an indication of RP activity.

Hello again,

I've been building up a backstory for a character I have for a while and I'm looking to start actually RPing in WoW with her. I've made a 'copy' (Appearance wise) of her on a RP sever, but I'm not sure where to start in the community. Do I make a Guild or join one? Look for walk-up RP? I've already filled out some character profiles for her so she's a little bit established, but I don't know what else to do

(Sorry if this isn't allowed, I'm just looking for some help)
    Get an addon like TRP so you can write a basic description of your character. Keep it concise, don't expose too much in it, because people still want to be able to learn about your character through in-character means rather than having an entire story thrown at them in a biography before they even talk to you.

Find RP hotspots on your server and try to join in. Usually, I'd suggest the slightly more obscure places over your middle of Stormwind, Silvermoon or Orgrimmar, but you have to start somewhere and build connections, so it's better to use that as a starter.

Be critical of your concept and your character but not overly. Nobody likes the half-demon/half Old God nephew of Illidan, or the other forgotten son of Deathwing, but you don't have to be a cheese vendor either. At the end of the day, most of the intrigue comes from how you RP rather than what you RP, but there's still some importance in not going overboard with your concept.

I hope that helps.

3+ Year Old Account
    Alright, long-overdue update: I've downloaded TotalRP3 and made a profile for the character I made on a RP server. While my character's concept is a little bit strange (daughter of a mortal troll woman and Bwonsamdi) everyone I've RP'd with has been very nice to me! I do encounter some in-character rudeness, but I think its not unexpected. Not everyone likes trolls right?
    (Well, except the weird guy and his friend who literally tried to ERP (my profile even says NO ERP) with my character when I logged on one day and even before the game's environment loaded properly, wtf)

As for hotspots, the Wyvern's Tail Inn in Org's Valley of Honor seems to be a busy place, so I tend to log out there OOC

Walk ups are fine, but as a beginner 9/10 times just meh.
    As many said before, try to stick around the main city, if a guild is recruting IC, or search the Forums for a guild that's currently active and fits your character.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    Wyrmrest Accord is better for horde RP.
    I was thinking about paying the 30$ to transfer over there, but I've heard it's connected to Moon Guard, and that there's no point?

As for Guilds, I'm thinking of making one
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-08-29 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Join a guild, fastest way to get some decent RP

Walk ups are usually pretty terrible RP.
    This x1000!

Except I'd add that communities for RP likely also exist. I personally haven't RP'ed outside of party chat or whispers in ages because... honestly?... Public RP is almost always a clusterfuck of a dozen different people's headcanons or euphemisms for gameplay realities colliding at once.

"I didn't introduce myself, you can't possibly know my name!"

"Warlock? You have no basis to accuse me of such dark arts!"

"I'm a dragon."

"I'm Arthas reborn!"

None of these are wrong, and yet none of these are right, and they all happen in publicly accessible RP. Roleplay only works when there are rules, and the game can't really enforce these subjectivities. Find a community (either the actual mechanical capital-C Community or a guild) learn their rules, and adapt to their subjectivities!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Get an addon like TRP
    Also good advice! TRP, MyRP and other similar addons all intercommunicate!

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    its sort of connected, RP realms are weird with connectivity. Orgrimmar, the big RP hub isn't linked between the two, neither can you join the WRA guilds. MG Horde has a few good guilds. I can recommend First Light.
    Will I still be able to use my Moon Guard guild if I transfer over to Wyrmrest?