Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldlock View Post
    This might just be personal experience but ever since streaming, carries, and anything else involving some kind of currency transaction ingame or not has taken hold it seems like guilds have been less rowdy and more tame with stricter speech rules.

I don't really mind it but I admit to longing for the more boisterous and raunchy communities of old.
    I dunno my guild is rowdy, loud, and usually drunk. But then we don't stream or carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavey View Post
    I would love to see a guild be a for profit social club, with a management team handling all the tedium of Guild preparations for events, and all you have to do is pay your dues and show up.
    these do exist. but it is like fight club and no one talks about them because it is in fact against ToS. most of them take tokens as payment now, but it used to be general money profit.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Or, the idiots that know how to do nothing but run their mouths could follow the rules that the guild leadership sets for the guild chat... if they don't like it they are alwAys free to leave

- - - Updated - - -

In a shocking turn of events, local douchebag discovers his actions can have consequences.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really curious how you managed to make a connection between "monetization" and not being a douche in guild chat
    Just seemed like they came in hand in hand. It could of been the times or simply different people as well.

Having buyers in changes a number of things about the run. You need to be more professional, both in what you say, and in what you do. You need to be effecient, and consistent. This means you're probably not trying that a new strat, or doing that risky thing that might net more damage, but could also wipe you.

You're no longer there to raid with your friends, you are there to kill bosses for buyers.

This isn't a recent development either. Having a boost in has always changed the atmosphere of a raid. You don't know them, you aren't trying to see if they're going to fit in like you would with a trial, they're a customer. As such you use a different linguistic register. It probably isn't going to be formal, because it's in a video game, but it's not going to be the same register you would use with a guild mate you have known for years.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    It's because now they have to follow 'community' standards, so they don't offend the people paying them.

I understand what you mean, I'm thick-skinned, and can banter with the best, and get pretty nasty...but paying customers may find other providers if you don't quiet things down a bit.

I think the whole boosting/selling mounts/mythic gear just devalues it, myself. If Mythic mounts and gear can just be sold to anyone with gold, let the casuals get some of that gear while playing the game; i.e. if they can just be sold, then there's nothing sacrosanct about anyone having Mythic gear anymore, so there's no reason to not let anyone have some.
    That is exactly correct. If Blizzard feels using gold which has a gray area of being attached to RMT now and third party organization groups then they should find a way to allow people to achieve the same gear/mounts through other means then raids/mythic dungeons.

In this thread: people who need to insult others to have fun being butthurt that the world where that behavior is acceptable is shrinking.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

This might just be personal experience but ever since streaming, carries, and anything else involving some kind of currency transaction ingame or not has taken hold it seems like guilds have been less rowdy and more tame with stricter speech rules.

I don't really mind it but I admit to longing for the more boisterous and raunchy communities of old.
    It is a matter of taste. Behind closed doors among known people, sure. People know where they stand among others. What is a joke to some could be offensive to others.

Do you speak the same way to everyone? Probably not. Some like the vulgarity and consider it entertaining. I do not.

My guild / raid team is roughly 40% female, 60% male, and we have raided together for a decade - things get pretty godamn funny - nothing is off limits, however the moment someone is told to back off or settle down, they do. You know, just like real life. I streamed during WoD to a decent audience, however im sure we would get shut down in minutes these days.

The communities still exist, however the moment a streamer becomes involved they will no doubt want to protect their interest. Thats the exact moment i tell them to accept it how it is, or move on to somewhere more suitable.

10+ Year Old Account

Just a thought. It might be the difference between running a part-time business and a bunch of people getting together to share some beers, stories and to raid.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    In this thread: people who need to insult others to have fun being butthurt that the world where that behavior is acceptable is shrinking.
    I dont agree AT ALL. If anything, the thirst for non-pc communities is growing, in my experience. The issue is purely from a monetization standpoint. If money isnt involved, nothing has changed - the moment some 19yo decides to try and be the next Ninja, everything changes.

Its absolutely no different to a bunch of mates sitting around the fire having some beers and laughs being able to talk however they want about whatever they want VS a comedian trying to sell his special to Netflix.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Just a thought. It might be the difference between running a business and a bunch of people getting together to share some beers, stories and to raid.
    Whoa - creeeeepy. As per my above comment, we agree 100%. Which scares the shit out of me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Whoa - creeeeepy. As per my above comment, we agree 100%. Which scares the shit out of me.
    Money, fake or real, changes everything. Inviting in outsiders, even temporarily, also changes social dynamics.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Leave it to gamers to feel offended that they are expected to behave like functional human beings in settings where services are carried out and companies are involved.

Banter is awesome. But the carry of a paying customer, of unknown origin and attitude, might not be the best time for Lolpalaftw to shout "LOL GIT GUD FAGGOTS" over voice comms...

Plenty of non-monetized guilds out there where anything goes, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-09-01 at 08:01 AM.

I do believe that it made some guilds soulless, but oh well. Can't really complain about people making a living.

Some people DO need to improve on taking jokes. If there is no offensive "intent", then all words are just words. However, one can be REALLY offensive and hurtful by using nothing but sweet words.

Others are obsessed with their "idols", do everything for them, get nothing in return and be scarred for life. That's a problem on their own, their parents, friends and environment to handle, and not point fingers to "celebs" who "ruined" their life behind a keyboard.
    Asking for nudes is one thing - it's human nature, we all want to reproduce. Sending those nudes ARE the problem. Saying no and getting the fuck out of there should be the norm. People need to be taught basic human interactions at pre-school.

Monetization on the other hand is a cancer to the game. I had a guild where the environment become more-and-more toxic because we weren't progressing fast ENOUGH. Half of the guild lived off WoW, and they were mad at the other half who played the game as a hobby, when they weren't grinded their necks to the max, essences fast enough etc. In a few weeks of raging and insulting each other the guild disbanded.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Just a thought. It might be the difference between running a part-time business and a bunch of people getting together to share some beers, stories and to raid.
    True, and I admit while I look back nostalgic feelings i don't think I would give up never having to farm anything relating to raid consumables or gold for boes ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    It has very little to do with streaming or the monetization of audiences - excepting when you're watching a stream of course.

For the most part it's just that we're older.

I'm 41 and that actually puts me at in the lower age range of my guild. I used to say a lot more stupid stuff back when I was 25, then miracle of miracle's I grew up.

We play with a guy that's in his 20's, he's obnoxious and trollish and says dumb things and tries to deflect his choices on others. As you'd expect from a younger dude.

We aren't sanitized we're just being respectful and trying to either maintain peace in a group where there are tons of things that we could talk about that we don't agree on, or we are just no longer feeling the need to "keep it real!" because we know that part of being an adult is just not purposefully choosing a persona that's offensive for amusement.

Face it, the game is older, the players are older and most of us don't have time for each other's shit.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. There is no purpose to being deliberately offensive. People who do it are disruptive to cohesion and focus in raids, and abrasive outside of raids. And on top of that, it makes the person sound like a child parroting words just for shock value. I want to play with adults who aim to get things done, not babies spouting vulgarities because they think it makes them look older.

And if you're a sensible individual, you know that words have meaning and effects. There's enough conflict in the world. I'm not going to encourage racism, homophobia, or misogyny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    LOL. Pretty much this.

10+ Year Old Account

Guilds? Nah, not when you're in a good one. But general chat? Yes, awful.
    Do what I do. Just gleefully mock those advertising paid services.

WTS the Incredible Feeling of Achieving Milestones on your own, 10 million gold PST.
    Please join my stream at the river.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I am not going to curtail or sensor myself for no guild, they either take my sweet beautiful hilarious ass or they don't, no foreskin off my dick!

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Guilds? Nah, not when you're in a good one. But general chat? Yes, awful.
    Do what I do. Just gleefully mock those advertising paid services.

WTS the Incredible Feeling of Achieving Milestones on your own, 10 million gold PST.
    Please join my stream at the river.
    I mean... I have 18 million gold currently I choose to instead become the seller then mock them.

I feel like people who buy boosts get put on some secret blacklist of awful trash players so there's no reason to buy an AOTC achieve. Not fooling anyone.