Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Human customization options

We can all agree that the human customization options are mostly based on USA demographics: white europeans, asians and african-americans. I can't blame them for doing so, as Blizzard is an american company. But, what about other ethnicities, like native americans, aboriginal australians, arabs, indians and scandinavians? I think they should be represented as well. No need to be extremely specific, as there are hundreds of ethnicities out there. But, at least give generalized customization options to these mostly known ones.
    You could say that this is pointless, because some of these ethnicities are already represented through the playable Tauren, Trolls and Dwarves. But, they did add asian customization options to humans, despite the fact there are already playable Pandaren in the game. So, that argument is kind of invalid.

What do you guys think? what ethnicities would you like to see being added to the human race?

share your ethnicities in the comment section
    Last edited by username993720; 2020-08-29 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are already skin tones for Hispanic, Arabic, Hindi-Indian and Scandinavian ethnicities, and existing hairstyles as of Shadowlands can be co-opted with alternate hair colors to further support these design goals. The same is true of face shapes and eyebrow patterns. One can make an argument that Native skin tones can be approximated, but this was much more difficult for black and Asian/Pacific skin tones prior to the update.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Considering how many islands there are in the game, with Humans originally breaking off from Vrykul with boats and there being a number of naval and sea-faring nations historically, pacific-islander seems like a option that would fit the lore pretty well.

I think it would just be better if they broke into those cultures through other races like they've been doing, its refreshing, and it's an excuse to add more races to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    There are already skin tones for Hispanic, Arabic, Hindi-Indian and Scandinavian ethnicities, and existing hairstyles as of Shadowlands can be co-opted with alternate hair colors to further support these design goals. The same is true of face shapes and eyebrow patterns. One can make an argument that Native skin tones can be approximated, but this was much more difficult for black and Asian/Pacific skin tones prior to the update.
    Exactly this. You can make a much wider variety of peoples in Shadowlands than ever before in WoW. Unless they completely redo character models for the entire game, not just redo the current models, and allow for absolute full customization, this won't happen in WoW.

Idk. I probably won't use the new options since they're either 4c hair or anime hair which both don't really fit any of the characters I play. New Human options kinda fall flat for me.

I would have loved more beard options (it's incredibly stupid that there's no stubble option in the game to this day). Also more hairstyles that fit the medieval period would have been nice (long, slightly curly hair for men e.g.).

More designated scar options (that aren't just tied to the actual faces) for body and face along with tattoos would have been nice as well. Overall what we got feels pretty disappointing especially since some of the new options look low quality and seem really out of place when compared with old hair/beards. Also new beards are all copy pasted over from the Tirasians.

Since I've seen Kyrian, I personally want blue skins now. Native American skin tones would be very cool even though previously, Tauren were kind of representative of Native American culture. That's fine, but being able to create a human with Native American customization options, complete with feather options would be very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    I think they should be represented as well. No need to be extremely specific, as there are hundreds of ethnicities out there. But, at least give generalized customization options to these mostly known ones.

What do you guys think? what ethnicities would you like to see being added to the human race?
    While I am all for in bringing elements of different cultures, particular ancient ones, I would prefer they keep it as general as possible. Because it is a can of worms.

You mentioned "popular" ones but who decide that? Can people tell the differences between two different Asian groups? African groups? Middle Eastern groups? South Amercian groups?

I think Blizzard should just keep the "representation" as general as possible. Ie just different skin tones. Facial features are a bit sensitive since that is what defines a culture. I think almost all human faces are European base. Would I like to see different facial types? Yes. But again, this can spiral out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    We can all agree that the human customization options are mostly based on USA demographics: white europeans, asians and african-americans. I can't blame them for doing so, as Blizzard is an american company. But, what about other ethnicities, like native americans, aboriginal australians, arabs, indians and scandinavians? I think they should be represented as well. No need to be extremely specific, as there are hundreds of ethnicities out there. But, at least give generalized customization options to these mostly known ones.
    You could say that this is pointless, because some of these ethnicities are already represented through the playable Tauren, Trolls and Dwarves. But, they did add asian customization options to humans, despite the fact there are already playable Pandaren in the game. So, that argument is kind of invalid.

share your ethnicities in the comment section
    Er... what? You think they added Asian options because of the American demographic?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Since I've seen Kyrian, I personally want blue skins now. Native American skin tones would be very cool even though previously, Tauren were kind of representative of Native American culture. That's fine, but being able to create a human with Native American customization options, complete with feather options would be very cool.
    I want playable Kyrians period.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I want playable Kyrians period.
    Kyrian for Alliance, those sexy Venthyr for Horde!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I'm Hindi-Indian and yeah this is the first time I can recall that a game includes an option to actually look Hindi-Indian, which is amazing! It's made me appreciate the Human option more in WoW when normally I think Humans are boring. Which could've stemmed subconsciously from them most often being depicted in European-ish ways.

5+ Year Old Account
    Personally I’m hoping we get scar options at some point - as I’ve seen and really like the Night Elf ones. Sort of disappointed on that front; but the customisation now is far better than the options we had before. I know Blizzard said they’ll keep adding onto the new system, so, fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    More designated scar options (that aren't just tied to the actual faces) for body and face along with tattoos would have been nice as well. Overall what we got feels pretty disappointing especially since some of the new options look low quality and seem really out of place when compared with old hair/beards. Also new beards are all copy pasted over from the Tirasians.
    Oh really? This isn’t something I’ve personally noticed - I don’t think I’ve ever seen scars on human faces. If they are still tied to the faces then that’s a little odd as it goes against the new system. I also agree that some stuff does generally look very low quality and out of place - however, I am a fan of the jewellery, eye colours and makeup.
    Last edited by bitterwinter; 2020-08-30 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Forgot a few things

So Indian is just for Indians or all South Asians? Lol! As a Pakistani I'm baffled by people's ignorance. The term you're looking for is SOUTH ASIAN because contrary to popular belief Indian isn't an ethnic or linguistic group, it's an artificial country created by Brits. There are over 275 languages spoken in South Asia and there are over 80 ethnic groups in Pakistan alone from the Kalash to the Sheedi, from Kashmiri to Baloch.

Also, we are Caucasoid and anthropologically there are only 3 races. Mongoloid (people from East Asia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, Northern Asia and Native American), Negroid (people who are black), and Caucasoid (Europeans, South Asians and Arabs. There is a call for a fourth which includes South Indians and Aborigines because they have similar looks but are distinct from nearby populations.

So technically all you need for all the other Caucasoid options is brown skin tones and there are many brown skin tones already

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    I'm Hindi-Indian and yeah this is the first time I can recall that a game includes an option to actually look Hindi-Indian, which is amazing! It's made me appreciate the Human option more in WoW when normally I think Humans are boring. Which could've stemmed subconsciously from them most often being depicted in European-ish ways.
    If you're "Hindi-Indian" then you know that is not a thing. What part of South Asia are your family from? If India then what state?
    Night Elves NEED long hair to the ground and more elegant/regal beautiful options to show their Highbourne heritage

I think we could go a little further than this. Like, as you said, humans came from Vrykul, and Vrykul, like dwarves, came from Titanic constructs. However, dwarves get to have all kinds of earthy colors, from browns that would be fairly normal on any human or human-adjacent species, to blueish grays or dark grays and such. Now, humans of such colors have never (to my knowledge) shown up in lore, so having a human with a Dark Iron skin tone and glowing orange/red eyes would be pretty out there. But having "slightly off" colors I think would be acceptable without departing from established lore. Meaning, we could have all kinds of ethnicities, plus a few more fantasy-like colors. Like an off-grey or some unusual, but not alien skin color (although if you eat a lot of silver, you'll turn like a blue-gray color irl, so that's not impossible, just really rare).
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    You and I sir have very different definitions of "sexy"
    Next to Orc and Troll women, Venthyr females are a 10.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharnie786 View Post
    If you're "Hindi-Indian" then you know that is not a thing. What part of South Asia are your family from? If India then what state?
    I know it's not a proper term but I'm not pedantic enough to not understand what the person I was quoting meant. Most people in 'everyday language' don't call a Black person "Negroid".

Not sure why you went into a tirade about it. I understood what the person I quoted meant, if you have some issue with that then seek help elsewhere.

I like the idea of more racial representation and I'm glad that these options were added but at the same time, I don't want every new human customization related to racial representation.

Would love to see some tattoos on humans and maybe more "savage" options for a more vry'kul look, this would be for both male and female. Something like the human in the middle in this fan-made edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...if_they_could/

For males specifically, a body type option would do wonders. A leaner (non-steroid gorilla) build would definitely be most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bitterwinter View Post
    Oh really? This isn’t something I’ve personally noticed - I don’t think I’ve ever seen scars on human faces. If they are still tied to the faces then that’s a little odd as it goes against the new system. I also agree that some stuff does generally look very low quality and out of place - however, I am a fan of the jewellery, eye colours and makeup.
    Jewelry etc. was long overdue and some of the new options are pretty cool... Then again, I only play male characters so it's not really for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Indian is just for Indians or all South Asians? Lol! As a Pakistani I'm baffled by people's ignorance. The term you're looking for is SOUTH ASIAN because contrary to popular belief Indian isn't an ethnic or linguistic group, it's an artificial country created by Brits. There are over 275 languages spoken in South Asia and there are over 80 ethnic groups in Pakistan alone from the Kalash to the Sheedi, from Kashmiri to Baloch.
    Wow, and here I thought I could be overly pedantic.

The term I was looking for was "the general appearance of the majority population in the country/subcontinent known as India, which is majority Hindi in religious affiliation, which I used to specify and differentiate it from the native tribes of the continental USA which are also colloquially known as Indians despite it being a misnomer brought on by ignorant colonists and slowly falling out of vogue in favor of Native." As such, Hindi-Indian, while not being an ethnic group, is sufficient to specify the general group in question to minimize confusion for readers who still refer to US Natives as Indians.

Context clues, friend. Learn them, live them, love them.
    Last edited by Thage; 2020-08-30 at 01:44 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Also, we are Caucasoid and anthropologically there are only 3 races. Mongoloid (people from East Asia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, Northern Asia and Native American), Negroid (people who are black), and Caucasoid (Europeans, South Asians and Arabs. There is a call for a fourth which includes South Indians and Aborigines because they have similar looks but are distinct from nearby populations.

So technically all you need for all the other Caucasoid options is brown skin tones and there are many brown skin tones already

- - - Updated - - -

Well, i could have used the term Middle Easterns, but i chose Arabs. Let's not get Nitpicky about it. When i wrote Native American, i also meant Central and South Americans, not just North Americans.
    As i already said, because there are so many ethnicities out there, there needs to be generalized customization options for a certain group. Even so, your suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by username993720; 2020-09-03 at 06:56 PM.