Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Arthas was bad before he even touched frostmourne...

...and people want a redemption story? Even as a paladin he was portrayed as an arrogant spoiled prince, who treated his subordinates like shit. The Culling of Stratholme was basically im using whatever ends to justify means that would sate his maliciousness.

The culling was literally the right thing to do. He made choice there and it was not an easy one for him. No idea where you got that from.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    ...and people want a redemption story? Even as a paladin he was portrayed as an arrogant spoiled prince, who treated his subordinates like shit. The Culling of Stratholme was basically im using whatever ends to justify means that would sate his maliciousness.
    Doesn't make him "bad"...

Stratholme was fully the right thing to do as well.

5+ Year Old Account
    Before he touched Frostmourne he was a vengeful, manipulative asshole. He hired mercenaries to burn his own men's ship and their way home and then had his men kill the very mercenaries HE hired. He also killed basically an entire city full of people, where surely many people could have been saved, but he took an extremely radical and vile approach to a grim problem, evidently being more concerned with denying Mal'ganis than saving innocent lives.

After he touched Frostmourne he became a monster, as the blade consumed his soul and all good that remained within him was extinguished. But he definitely was not an entirely innocent or good person before either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    The culling was literally the right thing to do. He made choice there and it was not an easy one for him. No idea where you got that from.
    No the right thing to do would be kill those who turned only. Its not like everyone ate the bread that day. He just smells fresh bread and just says welp better kill everyone.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stratholm was a lose lose scenario even if arthas had the full order of the silver hand with him they would probably lose the city and the majority of the population.

7+ Year Old Account
    The culling of Stratholme was the right thing to do. It was ether kill them or have them die anyways and become undead slaves.

Kael'thas sold out his people to the Legion, and he was sent to Revendreth.

Did he do some very questionable things before that? Yeah, but it definitely wasn't enough to be irredeemable and sent to the maw.

Really, if he actually went through the proper sorting of the Shadowlands, he probably would have been sent to Revendreth. Hell, Kael'thas and apparently Garrosh were sent to Revendreth and they did much worse shit than Arthas pre-DK. Even Lady Vashj was sent to Maldraxxus.

The Maw would really be reserved for the truly irredeemable, like Gul'dan or Archimonde. Although, why have the souls just be pointlessly tortured for eternity and not just be destroyed or wiped clean of everything and reincarnated, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Which one of those ropes can I hang myself with

Quote Originally Posted by GR8GODZILLAGOD View Post
    Did he do some very questionable things before that? Yeah, but it definitely wasn't enough to be irredeemable and sent to the maw.

Really, if he actually went through the proper sorting of the Shadowlands, he probably would have been sent to Revendreth. Hell, Kael'thas and apparently Garrosh were sent to Revendreth and they did much worse shit than Arthas pre-DK. Even Lady Vashj was sent to Maldraxxus.

The Maw would really be reserved for the truly irredeemable, like Gul'dan or Archimonde. Although, why have the souls just be pointlessly tortured for eternity and not just be destroyed or wiped clean of everything and reincarnated, I don't know.
    Exactly. I always see people asking for what types of people the Maw is, if not for Arthas, Kael'thas, etc
    And my answer is always the likes of Gul'dan and Archimonde. Both fully irredemable, lovely, evil shitbags.
    Especially Archimonde might just be the most evil character we've seen in the entirety of WoW. He was an asshole who only ever did anything for personal power, even before he joined the Legion, as Thal'kiels backstory + the lore bits in Mac'Aree prove.
    Gul'dan at least had a reason for being an asshole, he was a cripple and mistreated by his people. But Archimonde was a talented sorcerer, good-looking and with high status.
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was definitely an ass, but he was also right about Stratholme when he said they were already infected.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    No the right thing to do would be kill those who turned only. Its not like everyone ate the bread that day. He just smells fresh bread and just says welp better kill everyone.
    The Legion had already turned most of the people into undead. It was only a matter of time. Everyone there would have died even if Arthas hadn't shown up.

Quote Originally Posted by GR8GODZILLAGOD View Post
    I was trying to find an answer, but the whole interaction between anima and souls is still a little vague in the WoW universe. However, nowhere do I see that the goal of any realm within the Shadowlands is to destroy souls outright. This could be due to anima or 'machine of death' or any various reason(s) as to why you do not want to destroy souls as a rule, with exceptions along the way. Basically, the Maw could serve a much larger purpose that we're not privy to right now. Or... the original creator(s) of the Shadowlands felt that the irredeemable souls would get off too easy by just being wiped clean (if that's even possible with such souls) or destroyed, and their wage of sin is eternal damnation. Bunch of possible reasons, either mechanically or morally, but we don't have an exact answer from Blizz as far I know.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    He was definitely an ass, but he was also right about Stratholme when he said they were already infected.
    The problem of Stratholme was less the Culling itself (which, while somewhat necessary, definitely could have been handled in a different manner, or at the very least explained to Uther more convincingly) and more than it locked Arthas into thinking the rashest, boldest actions were the answer always. After this, his reaction to Mal'ganis's taunts were to deploy an entire fleet to Northrend. The reaction to Terenas predictably ordering his soldiers back was to hire mercenaries to burn his army's ships and then betray them. And then the reaction to predictably being encircled by the undead on their home turf was to go for a cursed blade that sealed his fate.

Arthas had many flaws and made several flawed decisions before he even touched the sword which should punt his ass to Revendreth straight away, Frostmourne or not. I don't want a redemption story for him at all, if he is to play a non-antagonist role in Shadowlands he should be a necessary evil at best.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's a villain and a victim.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Culling was legitimately the right choice though. It was the literal "Greater Good" option.

Uther, to Arthas: Vengeance cannot be a part of what we must do. If we allow our passions to turn to bloodlust, then we will become as vile as the orcs.

Arthas: I will have revenge on Mal'ganis! I will hunt him to the ends of the earth! I'll do anything, or pay any price!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to me the Culling was only "the right thing to do" when you have the luxury of knowing what was really happening after the fact. But it did show what kind of person Arthas really was.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    The most efficient answer (and only with the power of hindsight) isn't necessary the right one. That's why Uther and Jaina where against it. They knew that even if the couldn't find a cure for the plague, with the Knights of the Silver Hand and the magic of Jaina they could have beaten the zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Seems to me the Culling was only "the right thing to do" when you have the luxury of knowing what was really happening after the fact. But it did show what kind of person Arthas really was.
    you didn't need the power of hindsight to know the entire city was going to be turned undead.