Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Just wait for 9.3.5 where they inevitably succumb to moonwalking back on their adamant decisions on keeping covenants.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    Just a quick question for beta players. Does the campaign go in depth about the story of each zone of shadowlands or am I gonna need to have 4 characters in different covenants to get the full scope of this expansion?
    No but there isn't much story to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No but there isn't much story to them.
    From what I gather from previous posts they 'plan' to have some sort of ongoing campaign , so while 9.0 might just be flavor to the leveling experience , further patch content could expand each covenant story.

--speculation ahead , don't blast me--
    Iirc we are supposed to be retrieving souls from thorgast(?), if they want to bring back some familiar face they might be tied to a specific campaign like Garrosh for Venthyr or Arthas for Kyrians (because uther is big sad). That's the kind of stuff I wouldn't want to miss out

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's only the Covenant Campaign you'd need a separate character for each one if you want to see all parts of the level cap story. Venthyr have a dragonball-esque quest campaign, Night Fae have a Tyrande support group and Night Elf rescue campaign, Kyrian is about the Forsworn and cleaning up after Uther and Necrolords is cluedo about who ruined Houses and some of them partially intersect but don't fully explain what goes on in each of the others.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

- - - Updated - - -

From what I gather from previous posts they 'plan' to have some sort of ongoing campaign , so while 9.0 might just be flavor to the leveling experience , further patch content could expand each covenant story.

--speculation ahead , don't blast me--
    Iirc we are supposed to be retrieving souls from thorgast(?), if they want to bring back some familiar face they might be tied to a specific campaign like Garrosh for Venthyr or Arthas for Kyrians (because uther is big sad). That's the kind of stuff I wouldn't want to miss out
    Seems much more likely that they will have the main story in the Maw (sadly, becuase it 100% sucks) but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Carefull there. The transmog is afaik still locked to being in that covenant, even if you have 4 clothies, each in a different covenant. We also don't know if Blizzard will lift that restriction after SL or if they lift them 2 expansions later like with legion artifacts or worst case: never. For all we know we could be allowed to "dual covenant" in 9.1 or something like that.

Anyway, question to the people here with beta. How long is the max level covenant campaign that rewards the transmog for each covenant? The length of suramar or more like and hour or two tops? Are there already clear time gating cut off points like "come back to me later"? Has anyone actually leveled a convenant on beta and build up their sancturary? What happned to covenant locked recipies? I couldn't find a proper list of what exactly is exclusive to covenants yet at endgame.
    I did the Venthyr campaign in 6-7 hours, not 100% sure as I didn't do it in one sitting, I was able to do one chapter after the other without any " you are not yet powerful enough to continue " or " we need to bide our time just a little longer " moments, whether thats down to it being the beta and they want the entire thing testable, I don't know.

As for the sanctum, the building is kinda wonky in terms of giving a clear picture of a time frame to expect, since there is a vendor on the beta that gives all the resources you will ever need to build it up for testing purposes, but the upgrading is sorta like the legion/bfa order hall / follower table upgrades where you collect enough of a given resource, select the upgrade that you want for your sanctum and wait the time it takes for said upgrade to finish.. However none of the upgrades are tied to the campaign, so you aren't gated there in that regard, although 2 of the 4 covenant armor tints are from facilities that are upgraded through the sanctum.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I did the Venthyr campaign in 6-7 hours, not 100% sure as I didn't do it in one sitting, I was able to do one chapter after the other without any " you are not yet powerful enough to continue " or " we need to bide our time just a little longer " moments, whether thats down to it being the beta and they want the entire thing testable, I don't know.

As for the sanctum, the building is kinda wonky in terms of giving a clear picture of a time frame to expect, since there is a vendor on the beta that gives all the resources you will ever need to build it up for testing purposes, but the upgrading is sorta like the legion/bfa order hall / follower table upgrades where you collect enough of a given resource, select the upgrade that you want for your sanctum and wait the time it takes for said upgrade to finish.. However none of the upgrades are tied to the campaign, so you aren't gated there in that regard, although 2 of the 4 covenant armor tints are from facilities that are upgraded through the sanctum.
    Ah okay, thanks for clarifying this. I hope everything even works since everyone I've seen test this seems to have done so with the NPC. I wonder how long this will take on life then..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying this. I hope everything even works since everyone I've seen test this seems to have done so with the NPC. I wonder how long this will take on life then..
    The only thing I have had issues with is the anima conductor, which for Venthyr doesn't seem to function at all at the moment.

But I wouldn't be surprised if unlocking everything is gonna be a lenghty process, its not tied to player power, so Blizzard don't have to tune the unlocking in such a way that it has to be done before Castle Nathria opens.

The only thing I have had issues with is the anima conductor, which for Venthyr doesn't seem to function at all at the moment.

But I wouldn't be surprised if unlocking everything is gonna be a lenghty process, its not tied to player power, so Blizzard don't have to tune the unlocking in such a way that it has to be done before Castle Nathria opens.
    Could the story also be locked behind renown levels?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Could the story also be locked behind renown levels?
    Doubt it, there are no way on the beta as far as I know to jump ahead in regards to renown levels, and I did the campaign pretty much as soon as I hit 60 and picked a covenant. It is however possible that the campaign will be rolled out over time on live, like with the first few chapters available on launch and then the next in the weeks following launch, but again I doubt it, because the gear itself in terms of ilvl is slightly higher than heroic mode but not as high as mythic 0, so gating that gear behind a timegate either in the form of renown which is capped weekly to make people not feel forced or compelled to power farm it or just plain old releasing chapters weekly, wouldn't make much sense as it would be practically useless by the time people finish the campaign.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2020-08-30 at 11:12 PM.

Doubt it, there are no way on the beta as far as I know to jump ahead in regards to renown levels, and I did the campaign pretty much as soon as I hit 60 and picked a covenant. It is however possible that the campaign will be rolled out over time on live, like with the first few chapters available on launch and then the next in the weeks following launch, but again I doubt it, because the gear itself in terms of ilvl is slightly higher than heroic mode but not as high as mythic 0, so gating that gear behind something like Renown which is gonna take a while to get as it is capped to x amount of levels per week, wouldn't make much sense as it would be practically useless by the time people finish the campaign.
    Ah well I figured it was only a transmog to begin with. I didn't even expect it to have stats. But I guess that would make it kinda weird, though exalted rewards have been useless throughout all of BfA because of how late they were available compared to other means of gear.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-08-30 at 11:17 PM.

Ah well I figured it was only a transmog to begin with. I didn't even expect it to have stats. But I guess that would make it kinda weird, though exalted rewards have been useless throughout all of BfA because of how late they were available compared to other means of gear.
    The gear from the campaign have stats, but there are 3 other colour variations, one from the covenant specific weekly event ( the ember court for Venthyr) one from the transport network and one through renown, I have only unlocked the campaign one, but I know the one from the Ember court is purely cosmetic and I would assume the one from the transport network and the renown are also purely cosmetic.

Mostly I think the campaign set serves to bridge the gap between being a fresh 60 and having the ilvl required to queue for heroic dungeons, as it has an ilvl lower than heroic but for the most part higher than normal mode at level 60, I say mostly because the set doesn't have the same ilvl across the board, it ranges from 152-160, where heroic mode drops ilvl 170, this also means that most of the covenant campaign gear is lower ilvl than what normal mode drops at level 60 which is ilvl 157. This leads me to believe the ilvl of the set isn't entirely adjusted yet, as it is epic but is mostly dwarfed by level 60 dungeon blues.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2020-08-30 at 11:50 PM.

Mostly I think the campaign set serves to bridge the gap between being a fresh 60 and having the ilvl required to queue for heroic dungeons, as it has an ilvl lower than heroic but for the most part higher than normal mode at level 60, I say mostly because the set doesn't have the same ilvl across the board, it ranges from 152-160, where heroic mode drops ilvl 170, this also means that most of the covenant campaign gear is lower ilvl than what normal mode drops at level 60 which is ilvl 157. This leads me to believe the ilvl of the set isn't entirely adjusted yet, as it is epic but is mostly dwarfed by level 60 dungeon blues.
    That is certainly a weird range to put them at. I guess you also can't upgrade them like the class hall gear, which would make them more like endgame questing rewards. If that is the case then it would certainly make sense to not (time) gate it too much. Edit: Not to mention that below heroic would make you replace them immediately anyway once you can spam heroic queues.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-08-31 at 12:15 AM.

That is certainly a weird range to put them at. I guess you also can't upgrade them like the class hall gear, which would make them more like endgame questing rewards. If that is the case then it would certainly make sense to not (time) gate it too much.
    It doesn't seem that way no, if they keep it in the way it is, its gonna feel wierd to get super cool looking epic gear and replace it with not so cool looking dungeon gear, of course transmog is a thing but it just doesn't feel right to replace epic gear aquired at launch, with dungeon gear, I assume it will be at a point between normal and heroic, because if it is better than heroic gear, then there is little point to actually run heroics once you have the neck, rings and trinkets you need.. Well aside from the daily dungeon quests in Oribos.

It doesn't seem that way no, if they keep it in the way it is, its gonna feel wierd to get super cool looking epic gear and replace it with not so cool looking dungeon gear, of course transmog is a thing but it just doesn't feel right to replace epic gear aquired at launch, with dungeon gear, I assume it will be at a point between normal and heroic, because if it is better than heroic gear, then there is little point to actually run heroics once you have the neck, rings and trinkets you need.. Well aside from the daily dungeon quests in Oribos.
    Well, if it was time gated then it could be at the level of heroic gear, but that would make it only usable for people who absolutely don't want to to play with others. I guess that is another option that could explain it, wow has alot of people that only do solo outdoor content after all. Btw, they are epic as in epic rarity? Wowhead has them all listed as rare, then it is even weirder, I agree.

Well, if it was time gated then it could be at the level of heroic gear, but that would make it only usable for people who absolutely don't want to to play with others. I guess that is another option that could explain it, wow has alot of people that only do solo outdoor content after all. Btw, they are epic as in epic rarity? Wowhead has them all listed as rare, then it is even weirder, I agree.
    Yeah, the gear is epic quality ingame, which is why it having a lower ilvl seems a bit wrong.

You will get to see how the story starts out for all of them.
    Your choice will impact which one of them you see trough to the end...

or rather which one you will have the full context for when the next lore drops.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, things will most likely just be like with Legion Class Halls. A few unique questslines will be connected to each of the Covenants, which tell their own story, that don't directly connect with the larger main story. Then, when the patches start coming, all of the questlines will properly be connected in some form to current content, while also creating quests for all players, that quickly sum up what the hell happened in the other coveneant questlines.

So there is not really much to look for or be surprised about. The stories within the Coveneants are not a new thing, we have seen exactly how Blizzard does things like this, with the Class halls.

Just think of the class order introductions/weapon quests, as the zone Covenant questlines you do when you first enter each zone.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

No, the campaign starts in 9.0, its just not flavor, if you don't see different campaign as flavor. What I meant is that blizzard said it will be continuing in future patches.

One poster said current campaign took him several hours, for one of the Covenant. So there are different story campaigns for them.

Doubt it, there are no way on the beta as far as I know to jump ahead in regards to renown levels, and I did the campaign pretty much as soon as I hit 60 and picked a covenant. It is however possible that the campaign will be rolled out over time on live, like with the first few chapters available on launch and then the next in the weeks following launch, but again I doubt it, because the gear itself in terms of ilvl is slightly higher than heroic mode but not as high as mythic 0, so gating that gear behind a timegate either in the form of renown which is capped weekly to make people not feel forced or compelled to power farm it or just plain old releasing chapters weekly, wouldn't make much sense as it would be practically useless by the time people finish the campaign.
    Wait - what?

I am Renowned 10 and not getting any COV quests. (revendreth) I seem to stalled after obtaining the FIRST necklace. Am I missing a vendor for anima? or other resources???

SIXX