Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    That’s unusual. Where are you located
    South Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    What's your problem with credit cards? As long as you don't accumulate unpayable debt every month its a very valuable financial tool.

When shopping online it gives you a layer of protection in case you become victim to fraud. You can challenge charges before you pay them, and it becomes your banks problem. Options like charge-backs become open to you in case you ever get ripped off.

When you pay using debit, you are spending cold hard cash then and there. If you get scammed or ripped off or defrauded in any way, the money is gone. That alone is a pretty horrible disadvantage.

Regularly paying off a credit card balance also builds you a credit history and a credit score, which is critical if you ever want to buy a house, or start a business.

At the end of the day you use your debit cards to pay off your credit cards so I don't see what people's apprehension towards it is. If you use a credit card like a line of credit you're gonna have a bad time.
    Using credit cards primarily seems to be a very american thing, honestly. In the U.K. people have credit cards, sure, but debit accounts have *always* been the primary of banking. The money you have is the money you have and you buy something then you spend that money. No get ups, no catches - you buy what you can afford. If you're ever scammed or if your account is used in a fraudulently way then the bank has you covered, so you very, very rarely just *lose* money.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Using credit cards primarily seems to be a very american thing, honestly. In the U.K. people have credit cards, sure, but debit accounts have *always* been the primary of banking. The money you have is the money you have and you buy something then you spend that money. No get ups, no catches - you buy what you can afford. If you're ever scammed or if your account is used in a fraudulently way then the bank has you covered, so you very, very rarely just *lose* money.
    Debit all the way here, but I have one credit card 'for emergencies'. I haven't spent anything on it in 15 years, but the bank keeps it open. I don't remember if they still charge an annual fee for it or not...

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    What's your problem with credit cards? As long as you don't accumulate unpayable debt every month its a very valuable financial tool.

When shopping online it gives you a layer of protection in case you become victim to fraud. You can challenge charges before you pay them, and it becomes your banks problem. Options like charge-backs become open to you in case you ever get ripped off.

When you pay using debit, you are spending cold hard cash then and there. If you get scammed or ripped off or defrauded in any way, the money is gone. That alone is a pretty horrible disadvantage.

Regularly paying off a credit card balance also builds you a credit history and a credit score, which is critical if you ever want to buy a house, or start a business.

At the end of the day you use your debit cards to pay off your credit cards so I don't see what people's apprehension towards it is. If you use a credit card like a line of credit you're gonna have a bad time.
    Credit cards are a financial trap for the poor. Credit card companies are predators and parasites at the same time. They actively look for easy prey and once they get hold they suck their target dry for years/decades. They're loan sharks looking to make an easy dollar off of people who're already struggling. Also other countries don't have Credit Scores, which is also just another system in place to keep the poor and black people out of areas where whites don't want them.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2020-08-31 at 04:50 PM.
    I'm a thread killer.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Debit all the way here, but I have one credit card 'for emergencies'. I haven't spent anything on it in 15 years, but the bank keeps it open. I don't remember if they still charge an annual fee for it or not...
    Same here. I find it incredibly abnormal with American's living off their credit cards.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker1 View Post
    South Carolina.
    So the entire US can’t pay with debit cards? Nah that’s not right

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Had same problem with a visa debit card month ago. Sadly i was not able to unravel that. Blizzard support told me that bank declines payment and bank support said that the don`t see any payments at all. Tried everything with no luck. Only thing that worked for me was making new internet card but with mastercard this time. Still can't pay with visa debit to this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    So the entire US can’t pay with debit cards? Nah that’s not right
    Yeah, OP is leaving something out. I use a Visa Debit card in Indiana. I wonder if they are just blocking his card because maybe a history of declined payments or something.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

There are multiple payment options that don't require a card, just use those. Paypal being the easiest one probably since you can load funds to it through many means and just pay with that. Or just buy a prepaid card code.

As well, people here are getting too excited over labels. Credit or debit or whatever don't really matter that much. There are different cards, in different banks, in different countries. Some are just not able to process international on-line purchases. That's all there is to it.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Anybody is haveing this issue as well as me i can no longer use debit card for some reason to play wow i don't have credict card either so any other options?
    Call your bank to make sure they're not blocking the charge. I had an issue with my bank too after I got a race change where they were worried it was fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    I find it funny that when paying for sub and choosing between 1 or 3 months is that it doesnt matter choosing which since it becomes automatically renewed anyway by default. Clever Blizzard...
    Except it does matter because the longer term subscription is generally cheaper than buying in one month increments for the same amount of time. THe 6th month subscription, for instance, will cost you two dollars less a month than 6 1 month subscriptions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    The amount I have saved by paying for everything with cash or debit has been staggering. Credit is for fools that think they can avoid making any mistakes and once they do make mistakes they start rationalizing using credit even with the mistakes that are bleeding them dry.
    Or it's for people like myself that have had their debit card skimmed 3 times here in Florida and lost my money forever. Even with a great bank like USAA.

I use an American Express Gold card for everything now because they have the best security hands down. If I see a charge on my account from something like a gas station skim, I call them and they wipe it off and overnight me a new card. Simple as that.
    I dont have to deal with the investigation crap that a bank makes you go through because amex deals with it for me. I also am not responsible. Whereas, banks most of the time still wont give you your money back anymore.

Plus all merchants are required to pay a fee on products if they are accepting visa mastercard discover amex etc. Which they pass on to the consumer. If you are using cash or debit then you are literally throwing money away since you arent getting anything in return. These big CC companies have to pay for these rewards they give out somehow. Might as well use a card that gives you great benefits.
    Again, this is why I like Amex Charge cards personally, since I am required to pay them off at the end of every month, rather than carry a balance. Keeps me honest and responsible, plus builds credit, and it NEVER gets declined (unless they dont take amex 0 which in my 11 years with them, has only been popeyes chicken lol).

Thank you ElyPop for the sig!

Sure your card hasn't expired, or has money in its account?

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    "building credit" works when you buy soomething on credit and pay it back right on time. Next time you get a little bit better conditions. Do it with 7 cards and you credit score gets better and better so if you want to buy something bigger you get better rates than if you didn't buy/pay on time all the small shit earlier.
    not gonna lie, 7 seems excessively unnecessary. i have 3. one personal, low interest card with a lower 5k limit, for revolving door every day credit purchases that get paid off either by or before next bill, a higher limit card for larger transactions that come with extra perks such as Mastercard insurance, that usually trumps normal warranty of a product, where the credit card company will replace it up too 2 years after a normal. 1 year manufacturer's warranty expires, so so im not being sold extended warranties for tvs' washers dryers that type of shit, and a business credit card. Why you feel the need to have 7 is beyond me though and i wouldnt ever want that many. too many loose threads of cred card fraud with that number. and many people (not saying you do) jsut use multiple cards to just shuffle debt to the next company over and over via cash advance transactions using a credit card, where eventually you are indebted to numerous collectors because they kept cycling their debts and started paying interest on interest on interest for that 1k tv they bought 3 years ago. i wouldnt want to risk that shit, id rather take the hit to credit with much less cards and have that one go to collectors, until im financially capable of being responsible with my debts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Neforpubl View Post
    Or it's for people like myself that have had their debit card skimmed 3 times here in Florida and lost my money forever. Even with a great bank like USAA.

I use an American Express Gold card for everything now because they have the best security hands down. If I see a charge on my account from something like a gas station skim, I call them and they wipe it off and overnight me a new card. Simple as that.
    I dont have to deal with the investigation crap that a bank makes you go through because amex deals with it for me. I also am not responsible. Whereas, banks most of the time still wont give you your money back anymore.

Plus all merchants are required to pay a fee on products if they are accepting visa mastercard discover amex etc. Which they pass on to the consumer. If you are using cash or debit then you are literally throwing money away since you arent getting anything in return. These big CC companies have to pay for these rewards they give out somehow. Might as well use a card that gives you great benefits.
    Again, this is why I like Amex Charge cards personally, since I am required to pay them off at the end of every month, rather than carry a balance. Keeps me honest and responsible, plus builds credit, and it NEVER gets declined (unless they dont take amex 0 which in my 11 years with them, has only been popeyes chicken lol).
    I can understand that, We don't have a big problem with card swiping where I live so I haven't had to worry about it. I don't believe in credit though because I watched my parents try to build credit there whole lives and it didn't add up to anything at the end simply because income is so much more important and if you are giving a big chunk to the banks of a small income then you can never get ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand that, We don't have a big problem with card swiping where I live so I haven't had to worry about it. I don't believe in credit though because I watched my parents try to build credit there whole lives and it didn't add up to anything at the end simply because income is so much more important and if you are giving a big chunk to the banks of a small income then you can never get ahead.
    For some people it works, for others it doesn't. It really comes down to how you utilize your credit.
    My wife for instance wanted to get out of Pennsylvania really bad and used credit cards to get herself started here in Florida. It has came to bite her in the ass at times, but I have helped her maintain control of her credit cards. They definitely helped out during this shut down of the world and on our honeymoon.

Myself on the other hand, like I said, just uses my Amex Gold. I have no credit limit with it per-say. I do have to pay it off at the end of every month (cycle ends on 4th of each month, payment is due by the 28th for previous month). It prevents me from spending money that I don't have, builds an awesome payment history, Amex is a amazing company and looks great on your credit, I rack up some awesome rewards that I use a lot like free plane tickets and rental cars, and Amex is always there to help me.
    The points system with them is awesome if you have a gold card.
    4x Points per dollar at Grocery Stores (That includes buying gift cards - So I always buy gas cards which is a loopholes to get 4x points on gas. I also buy Ebay and amazon gift cards as well for the 4x points)
    4x points per dollar at restaurants - including fast food.
    3x points per dollar on airlines as long as you go through Amex travel or directly through the airline.
    1x points per dollar everywhere else.
    (They also have random bonuses for things like ebates which I have gotten up to 50x points per dollar on stuff like amazon)
    I have an annual fee of $225, but I can negate that with the $100 airline credit (can be used for drinks on the plane or upgrades or tickets) $120 ($10/month) dining credit at places like cheesecake factory and grubhub, and then lots of other benefits.

All in all, people will do what they want. If you are smart with credit, then it can be extremely beneficial. If you are careless with it then it can bite you in the ass fast.

I learned a long time ago that all rich people have credit, and all rich people are smart at using and saving money.
    Poor people are generally just terrible at using and spending money.

I can prove it by saying that I am 29 and work for Disney. I make $15/hr and have a better credit score that most people (841 - almost to 850) I also own my car, house, and property in Alaska - aside from here in Florida. The only assistance I have had was low interest loans from the military since I was in the Marine Corps for 4 years.

Everyone has a different hustle though

Thank you ElyPop for the sig!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neforpubl View Post
    For some people it works, for others it doesn't. It really comes down to how you utilize your credit.
    My wife for instance wanted to get out of Pennsylvania really bad and used credit cards to get herself started here in Florida. It has came to bite her in the ass at times, but I have helped her maintain control of her credit cards. They definitely helped out during this shut down of the world and on our honeymoon.

Myself on the other hand, like I said, just uses my Amex Gold. I have no credit limit with it per-say. I do have to pay it off at the end of every month (cycle ends on 4th of each month, payment is due by the 28th for previous month). It prevents me from spending money that I don't have, builds an awesome payment history, Amex is a amazing company and looks great on your credit, I rack up some awesome rewards that I use a lot like free plane tickets and rental cars, and Amex is always there to help me.
    The points system with them is awesome if you have a gold card.
    4x Points per dollar at Grocery Stores (That includes buying gift cards - So I always buy gas cards which is a loopholes to get 4x points on gas. I also buy Ebay and amazon gift cards as well for the 4x points)
    4x points per dollar at restaurants - including fast food.
    3x points per dollar on airlines as long as you go through Amex travel or directly through the airline.
    1x points per dollar everywhere else.
    (They also have random bonuses for things like ebates which I have gotten up to 50x points per dollar on stuff like amazon)
    I have an annual fee of $225, but I can negate that with the $100 airline credit (can be used for drinks on the plane or upgrades or tickets) $120 ($10/month) dining credit at places like cheesecake factory and grubhub, and then lots of other benefits.

All in all, people will do what they want. If you are smart with credit, then it can be extremely beneficial. If you are careless with it then it can bite you in the ass fast.

I learned a long time ago that all rich people have credit, and all rich people are smart at using and saving money.
    Poor people are generally just terrible at using and spending money.

I can prove it by saying that I am 29 and work for Disney. I make $15/hr and have a better credit score that most people (841 - almost to 850) I also own my car, house, and property in Alaska - aside from here in Florida. The only assistance I have had was low interest loans from the military since I was in the Marine Corps for 4 years.

Everyone has a different hustle though
    You work for Disney and only make 15 bucks an hour? Lol...that's pitiful. Wal-mart and most of the fast food chains here start you out at 14 bucks an hour.

I can understand that, We don't have a big problem with card swiping where I live so I haven't had to worry about it.
    Reminds me of one of these "USA vs EU what did you find weird?" vids where Americans get surprised in EU you're given a device to put your card in and input the pin to pay for stuff (apparently in USA in restaurants and stuff they take the card to the staff area and do w/e with it? how do people know they aren't overcharged for stuff?)

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    You work for Disney and only make 15 bucks an hour? Lol...that's pitiful. Wal-mart and most of the fast food chains here start you out at 14 bucks an hour.
    You know minimum wage in Florida is like $8.56/h right?
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

South Carolina.
    I live in the upstate, my sub is fine and have been using my debit card monthly.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB