Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Our conjured food should provide a buff

As our conjured foods have become less and less relevant through the expansions, especially to other players, it struck me that they could have made our food better by use of a reagent that would add a buff to the food, either a simple reagent like common enchanting dust (many mages spec into enchanting, so there is synergy there) that provides a random buff, or you could use the vendor mats they use now for cooking, like if you conjure with choral honey, as an example, you get a buff to crit strike, and so on.

Of course this would make cooking less relevant, but not as irrelevant as our conjured food has become, in my opinion. Thoughts?
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    As our conjured foods have become less and less relevant through the expansions, especially to other players, it struck me that they could have made our food better by use of a reagent that would add a buff to the food, either a simple reagent like common enchanting dust (many mages spec into enchanting, so there is synergy there) that provides a random buff, or you could use the vendor mats they use now for cooking, like if you conjure with choral honey, as an example, you get a buff to crit strike, and so on.

Of course this would make cooking less relevant, but not as irrelevant as our conjured food has become, in my opinion. Thoughts?
    While I like the idea, I think that mages' group utility in groups is already good enough, especially in dungeons. We are also always top DPS or close enough, so I am skeptical at the idea of providing even more utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every healer in the universe: "Mage food... irrelevant?"
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

3+ Year Old Account
    Maybe in Classic I could see, but in regular WoW no?

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    That's true. Or maybe the food could be a caster-only buff?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Simple and non game breaking would be for it to apply arcane intellect.

The food should offer both a buff and debuff based on the spec of the Mage that made it.

Fire - Your damage dealing abilities do 2% less damage per use. However, if you pop a class cooldown greater than 1 minute, your abilities gain a 15% buff to damage for the duration. In addition, all of your abilities will now look exactly the same when used.

Frost - Your damage dealing abilities do 2% less damage per use. However, randomly they will instead do 15% extra damage instead. This buff will never trigger at an advantageous time.

Arcane - Your damage dealing abilities so an extra 5% damage per use, which stacks up to 5 times. However, the resource cost for each subsequent ability use increases by 50% incrementally. In addition, your rotation becomes 2 buttons. Any additional buttons your class would normally use become inactive.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If mage food granted a buff, it would become less useful for its primary purpose: healer fuel. I can't eat this stuff between pulls if it's going to overwrite the buff I already have and actually want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    The food should offer both a buff and debuff based on the spec of the Mage that made it.

Fire - Your damage dealing abilities do 2% less damage per use. However, if you pop a class cooldown greater than 1 minute, your abilities gain a 15% buff to damage for the duration. In addition, all of your abilities will now look exactly the same when used.

Frost - Your damage dealing abilities do 2% less damage per use. However, randomly they will instead do 15% extra damage instead. This buff will never trigger at an advantageous time.

Arcane - Your damage dealing abilities so an extra 5% damage per use, which stacks up to 5 times. However, the resource cost for each subsequent ability use increases by 50% incrementally. In addition, your rotation becomes 2 buttons. Any additional buttons your class would normally use become inactive.
    Another clear example why this forum needs an "upvote" option.

I don't even think the enchanting dust would be necessary, cheap buff food is cheap. If we keep to something akin to the BFA food tiers, lowest/second lowest buff food stats on conjured food would be just fine. It'd still have the disadvantage of disappearing due to being conjured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Fair point; when I think of the insane OOC regen we have now, I don't really think about it from a healer standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    While I like the idea, I think that mages' group utility in groups is already good enough, especially in dungeons. We are also always top DPS or close enough, so I am skeptical at the idea of providing even more utility.
    Also fair...since I've been playing Classic and seeing how valuable it is there, it made me think about how less important it is in retail...or so I believed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    If mage food granted a buff, it would become less useful for its primary purpose: healer fuel. I can't eat this stuff between pulls if it's going to overwrite the buff I already have and actually want.
    That's a great point, we definitely would not want it to overwrite existing buffs.

Thanks for the feedback!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post

I couldn't help but to giggle uncontrollably at this
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Your food should give buffs?So fuck cooking right?Lets make another profession worthless cause the mages want more....What a surprise smfh

- It could refresh existing Well Fed buffs if you eat it for more than 10 seconds, and cause them to persist through death. (Giving the food utility.)

- And/or as well, if you don't have a Well Fed buff it could give a weak Well Fed buff that's weaker than the better feasts. (Cooking stays relevant.)

Mage Food should be usable in combat, with normal interrupt rules as per channelled spell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry11782 View Post
    Your food should give buffs?So fuck cooking right?
    I don't think the recipe involved strawman ... 'a buff' doesn't mean it has to be anything like cooking buffs.

As for 'mages want more' ... our food, polymorph and teleport spells are close to pointless now, can't see anything wrong with asking for some of what has been lost to be returned.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off-combat mana regen. That's what the food is for anyway.

Fair point; when I think of the insane OOC regen we have now, I don't really think about it from a healer standpoint.

Also fair...since I've been playing Classic and seeing how valuable it is there, it made me think about how less important it is in retail...or so I believed.

That's a great point, we definitely would not want it to overwrite existing buffs.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Maybe if it was a different category of well fed buff. Like how they have both battle and defensive elixirs (not that anyone cares). You can have a greater well fed buff from raid food, and a lesser one from mage food.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Mage food is still very relevant. Maybe not as relevant as Classic/vanilla.

Instead of focusing on how to make mage food more relevant in today's WoW, perhaps there should be focus on what has made mage food less relevant. Blizz basically gave every class a method to heal themselves in current WoW, removing the necessity to have food to heal up after combat engagements. This was originally the niche of healing hybrid classes, being able to heal themselves as a perk. Now we enter territory where healing hybrid classes have less healing sustain than classes who don't even have a healing spec. This not only removes the need of mage food, but it removes the need to carry any food for times when you don't have a healer. Also murdered First Aid in the process.

The other aspect is mana regen and consumption. For M+, mage food is still nice as an alternative to sugar-crusted fish feasts. Otherwise, most of the times even healers don't even think about their mana bar. Back in vanilla/Classic, even hybrids who weren't healers had to worry about mana to some degree, but in current WoW the mana regen is so ridiculously fast you don't need to drink.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there are other issues in the game that would be a better fix than adding additional functionality to mage food.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I cannot agree with this more. Mages, along with locks and rogues, already come with top tier damage almost all the time (not necessarily all specs). They really do not need to be given any more utility beyond what they already have (which is really good utility for all 3 classes), lest they lose DPS to gain said utility. I'm willing to bet no Mage is ready to lose DPS to make their food give a buff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Mage food is still very relevant. Maybe not as relevant as Classic/vanilla.

Instead of focusing on how to make mage food more relevant in today's WoW, perhaps there should be focus on what has made mage food less relevant. Blizz basically gave every class a method to heal themselves in current WoW, removing the necessity to have food to heal up after combat engagements. This was originally the niche of healing hybrid classes, being able to heal themselves as a perk. Now we enter territory where healing hybrid classes have less healing sustain than classes who don't even have a healing spec. This not only removes the need of mage food, but it removes the need to carry any food for times when you don't have a healer. Also murdered First Aid in the process.

The other aspect is mana regen and consumption. For M+, mage food is still nice as an alternative to sugar-crusted fish feasts. Otherwise, most of the times even healers don't even think about their mana bar. Back in vanilla/Classic, even hybrids who weren't healers had to worry about mana to some degree, but in current WoW the mana regen is so ridiculously fast you don't need to drink.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there are other issues in the game that would be a better fix than adding additional functionality to mage food.
    I agree, actually, but I just don’t see them bringing that aspect of Classic into retail. It would slow the leveling process to a point of frustration for too many players.

I agree, actually, but I just don’t see them bringing that aspect of Classic into retail. It would slow the leveling process to a point of frustration for too many players.
    ^
    I'm good on adding pointless tedious garbage back into wow. It can stay in classic where it makes sense and its part of the game. Id log into classic if I wanted that experience.

Id rather farm 1mil honor for bote and have ion sitting beside me to dick punch me every 30k honor i gain then deal with that trash again.

I'm against it. Seems way too forced given the utility mages already bring. The only thing I could get behind is if it was slightly more effective, so it would serve as means to recover the group quickly in m+ out of combat, but it shouldn't give throughput benefits.

Edit: I wouldn't mind some more funny effects when eating conjured food though. It's sad enough that the only way to upgrade the old ass table is by glyphing it, but on top of that the glyph is the only one that interacts with the foot as well. I feel like some variations like with the different polymorph spells (in case of conjured food like shrinking/growing effects, etc) could add a bit of flavor.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-09-01 at 06:27 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.