Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Who actually deserves a redemption arc?

I keep seeing posts about why certain characters don't deserve a redemption arc, so my question in: Who does?

Personally, if we absolutely need to have these stories told in Shadowlands, I'd love to see one for Neltharion the Earth-Warder. I was saddened that he was only mentioned in passing during N'zoth's actual appearance, given the gravity of the Old God's influence on events involving him for the past 10,000 years or so.

Nobody. Just fucking stop recycling/retconning characters that left the stage.

Just leave them dead and develop other stories imo, I'm not interested in seeing old characters again

Nobody. Redemption arcs are so cringe. A villain who can't stick to their ideology until the very end is a joke.

The ideal is a middle ground like with Kil'jaeden. He didn't redeem himself at all, but at the very least he felt some remorse once he realized Sargeras was not invincible.

That being said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they are setting up a redemption arc for Arthas.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

No one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Couldn't say it better.

I surely that Thrall's balls dire need of some redemption and coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsohta View Post
    Just leave them dead and develop other stories imo, I'm not interested in seeing old characters again
    This is always an interesting stance. Personally, I tend to tire of new characters that are created (often for roles where existing characters would fit better), and retired just as quickly. Why get invested in anyone when characters are so disposable?

That would mean they had to come up with new, interesting characters. Preposterous.

Agreed. No one really.

Iliidan was kinda fitting because of his original goal.
    Sylvannas is so hated it would be bad for the community/game to play a redemption arc.
    Arthas's story should only be touched upon in passing. He should never be actually seen imho.
    Kaelthas... mh... yeah he was not handled well in BC so i can live with something here. Doesn't need to be full redemption. Could just have been a setback^^
    Deathwing, Malygos... good riddance.

New CHaracters ftw. Bring back other NPCs from older expansions that have been left behind.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When has wow ever had a redemption story?

When have villains ever come to the good side (without dying to redeem themselves, that doesn't count).

I can only remember Akama betraying Illidan to join us.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    That would mean they had to come up with new, interesting characters. Preposterous.
    I know. But still. Rather shit on cardboard cutouts than older characters.

Mishandled characters could be said to deserve another shot. Illidan was such a case, but Arthas not so much. Him getting more spotlight is merely because he's our golden boi and relevant to the theme of the next expansion and one of its main villains. Kael is literally getting another shot due to the nature of Revendreth.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2020-09-01 at 12:36 PM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    If there had to be a redemption arc for an ingame character, i `d choose Garrosh.

I prefer new characters & storys though.

Redemption, as something that must be earned, isn't inherently something deserved. Thinking it's something you just 'deserve' is the same reason so many are so poorly done, because it just happens to the character, instead of being something the character must struggle to accomplish. Struggles are what make stories interesting, not "deserving" things. So it matters less where the character is now, but why the character decides they need to change and how they tell the story of that arc, what it costs the character and what they learn and gain.

I know. But still. Rather shit on cardboard cutouts than older characters.
    Yeah, actually true.

Is blizzard so dried up that they cant think of a new character?

Preferably one that does not suck and is not as annoying as the ones in BFA...

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    This is always an interesting stance. Personally, I tend to tire of new characters that are created (often for roles where existing characters would fit better), and retired just as quickly. Why get invested in anyone when characters are so disposable?
    It's the writers fault these new characters aren't being developed, they don't need to be abandoned.

If i look at the lore and what transpired between all the lore characters that i would think could use a redemption arc like say,Arthas,Garrosh,or Kael'thas.I have to look at everything.Arthas is questionable at best.Everything isn't clear with him.What i mean by that is if he was under the influence of ner'zhul before he picked up the blade or was he just bad to begin with.Personally i think he was influenced long before since Kelthuzad even said the lich king had chosen him long ago.Though that is not 100%.Now on to Garrosh.He was in a way influenced by Thrall and kinda just left to deal with the horde even when he said he was not fit to be Warchief yet he was more a victim of blizzard writing.I do feel he was done dirty by Thrall in the mak gora they had.Thrall basically cheated during it.

Now on to Kael'thas for me he is the one that deserves redemption.Kael'thas started out as good and noble.His kingdom and people were slaughtered by Arthas and the Scourge.He even tried to stay with the alliance but was sentenced to death by the non human hating Garithos.He then to save his people worked with Illidan who gave them fel magic and from there his down fall just spiraled downward.

in the end i would love to see all of them get some sort of redemption but i don't see that happening.

5+ Year Old Account
    According to the In quisitors in Revendreth everyone.

The Accuser: "Every soul can be redeemd. If it desires to be."

how about none???
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.