Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How would you fix Baine and others?

Title says it all, and before we get inundated with "Lol Kill them or write them out of the story entirely", this thread is for actual ideas on what Blizz could do to make you think "Yeah this character is okay" even if you don't fall in love with them cause of how much baggage they have.

Voss, Baine, Thrall, etc... lots of characters on the Horde atm are controversial to say the least.

How could Blizz improve the Horde's gutted roster?
    Twas brillig

Ok, first of all, why does this thread start from the premise that these people need fixing? Couldn't you just name it "Do Baine and others need fixing, if so how?", or do you just start from the assumption that everyone agrees with you? Because frankly I don't have a problem with these characters, just because they are not edgy genocidal psychos doesn't make them bad.

Baine deserves one fate, and one fate alone.

As for Voss, I don't care much for her. Thrall is fine, he just needs to man up. His depiction since Safe Haven has been fine, it seems he's over his elemental dysfunction. Develop Gey'arah and re-introduce Grom to the main timeline. I still doubt he died to Yrel to this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Title says it all, and before we get inundated with "Lol Kill them or write them out of the story entirely", this thread is for actual ideas on what Blizz could do to make you think "Yeah this character is okay" even if you don't fall in love with them cause of how much baggage they have.

Voss, Baine, Thrall, etc... lots of characters on the Horde atm are controversial to say the least.

I'd rather fix people who assume that just because something isn't the way they think it should be, it needs to be fixed.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'd rather fix people who assume that just because something isn't the way they think it should be, it needs to be fixed.
    By fix you mean castration, right?

Shadows Rising showed Anduin somewhat succumbing to darker ways, so the same is possible to Horde characters. It's just that there's been so many extravagantly bad eggs that they've had their hands full with honour to counter-balance it. It was refreshing to see even with the new council where everyone were opposed to Sylvanas they're well able to stand up to the Alliance too. Maybe this wont be so bad after all.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2020-09-01 at 07:07 PM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

I like Baine how he is. He does not need fixing. Thank you for respecting my opinion.

I like Voss. I like Thrall. Rokhan needs a model update. Baine could butt heads with Magatha and the Dwarves more, I guess. Aysa and Ji could reunite again, that might be cute.
    Last edited by Razion; 2020-09-01 at 07:03 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Baine is fine the horde needs a leader that stands for peace.

It has plenty of other leaders to fill the role of hot head or war like

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'm okay with Baine as he is. I don't agree with many of the choices he has made, or stances he has maintained - but that's okay as well, and I think it ultimately makes him a more believable character within the narrative itself. He's neither a hate-sink nor a paragon in my view - he's a just a person, fallible and at times infuriatingly naive about the world he inhabits. He shares that general motif with Thrall, another character whose legacy is decidedly mixed, and who has done many great things and also screwed up royally on more than one occasion.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Kill then is literally the best fix

you want something other than that? rewind then, Make thrall be like he was in warcraft 3, not this shit whinner;

You want fix Baine? give him a massive pair of balls, make him acknowledge his mistakes, and make him actually do something for his faction that do not include undermine your faction as a coward and a traitor

Voss? make her stop saying she doesn't want neither fit, lead, so they can shove Calia in the leadership

Baine is somewhat ok, could be better tbh
    remember that he is stil very young and not much experienced

I'd love to see Taunka remembered and reintroduced to horde again. maybe theyr elder would become advisor to Baine. he seems to have somewhat interest in Mayla and it might become interesting as well

this "mah honor" bullshit ruined both Saurfang and Baine

This is actually a nice discussion, there goes my 50 cents.

First, the Horde is general, during all of BFA we were told that the Horde is wrong and we need to change and become more like the Alliance, this is where the bad writing starts, the Hore is different that the Alliance, but its not evil, I would define the Alliance as Lawful and the Horde as Chaotic, but neither are good or evil. Horde should be more about tradition and "nobe savagery".

Thrall could be the herald of the change of views in the Horde, just as he was before on Warcraft 3, he turned the Horde away from the evil ways and made it something more than maniac genocide, now as he gets older he could realize the problems that too much change bring, he could realize the importance of the spitis and the old ways (not the genocidal, but the more "honnorable savage").

The problem with Baine is that he never earned his crown, we saw Cairne do so much, but the only thing that Baine achieved was turning the Horde towards the Alliance. I have a controversial suggestion here, I would have Baine break from the Horde and try to join the Alliance, only to not be accepted because of his previous ties to the enemy, and then he becomes an enemy of the Horde, trying to break it down, kind of a separatist Horde.

Voss was such an interesting character but its a shame the direction that she took, she was an avenger, a fighter, not a political figure. I would have her lead the Dreadstalkers and they becoming the rogue organization in the Horde, kind of what the Si:7 does for the Alliance.

10+ Year Old Account

Baine, Varok Saurfang and Zappy Boi needs to be drawn and quatered for their war crimes.

Nothing less can be accepted.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Baine as a Horde member needs a lot of work. I don't think he cares about tauren so I am not sure if there is a way to make him loyal to the Horde. Maybe if he got a family and then Alliance would kill it, he could become more asertive but I am not sure.

I believe it would be easier to actually move him to Alliance. Tauren could rebel against him next time they feel threatened by Alliance. Then, Baine would change sides and become an advisor to Anduin.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I wouldn't fix Baine, Mayla deserves a functioning bull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    By fix you mean castration, right?
    He was already castrated in Tides of War.

This was him before he was turned into a steer.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Baine is fine the horde needs a leader that stands for peace.
    Punishing your people for self defense and valuing the lives of humans over your own people isn't peaceful, its suicide.

The problem is that they can't "fix" these characters because what makes them bad/unfitting to lead is usually their defining character trait.

First off, I'd start by removing the current writing team.

Then I'd give the Forsaken an insurrection plot because they don't want to be ruled by big milkie Menethil mommy gf. A council that is highly distrustful of outsiders then takes over Forsaken leadership in a kind of meritocracy. Calia can chill with Anduin or something or they can forget about her like they did with Med'an.

Baine loses his leadership in a Mak'gora (but survives) after a series of mishaps lead him to lose the support of his people and a less peace-loving Chieftain takes over. He can go live in Stormwind, I don't really care. Or he realizes how much of a wuss he's been and he can get some actual character development that ends up with him retaking his position as a more nuanced character that's not Alliance in all but name.

Take his balls out of Anduin's purse and give them back, maybe? Characters like him *should* be to Warcraft what characters like Ned Stark were to GoT. Hilariously naive, easily duped, and quickly deposed because their blind optimism and sense of nobility and honor flies in the face of a world under constant threat of annihilation on top of perpetual war between the worlds natural denizens and the literal aliens that tried to take it over (orcs vs humans). In a way, he doesn't need to be fixed. He just needs to fail because keeping him and Anduin as butt bros guts the entire core of what the franchise was originally about.

Ned Starks are admirable characters. But watching them struggle and fail is what keeps you drawn to them. If they simply get their way and keep the peace, then what exactly is the point of the game? Do we just keep ramping up villains and asspulling new threats greater than the Legion out of thin air? I understand some people are interested in the upcoming conflict between Light and Void, but personally I find it completely uninteresting. I started WoW to be a soldier of the Horde to crush the Alliance, not become part of the Azeroth Avengers saving the world every other month from some random joke of a villain destined to fail at whatever evil scheme they've put into motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    He shares that general motif with Thrall, another character whose legacy is decidedly mixed, and who has done many great things and also screwed up royally on more than one occasion.
    When has Baine done anything great for the Horde, even recruiting the Highmountain was done out of fear of Sylvanas?

Goodness, what a fresh new topic. Certainly not yet another "I hate Baine and any Horde character that doesn't want to bathe in Alliance blood, kill them all slowly" thread. Even if that wasn't OP's intention, that's what the usual suspects will turn this into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/